HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Share your Favorite Buchbergr (Bucky) memory.

Old
06-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Everest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I can't believe all the hate people have for Bucky.
He had his moments as an NHLer. Hate is a strong word. I'm just calling it how I seen it.

Long stretches of tireless work in the trenches with very little to show for it,aside from the Mr. Hustle award(s).

Not unlike Georges Laraque...(except that I don't think I have EVER seen Larauque bleed).

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Gunner8811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
He had his moments as an NHLer. Hate is a strong word. I'm just calling it how I seen it.

Long stretches of tireless work in the trenches with very little to show for it,aside from the Mr. Hustle award(s).

Not unlike Georges Laraque...(except that I don't think I have EVER seen Larauque bleed).
I would consider a couple Stanley cups, being Captain of a franchise for multiple years "a little something to show for it". I also remember when his time in Edmonton was done and he was going into free agency he had his pick of 10-12 teams that wanted this "dumb" hockey player with "very little upstairs".

Gunner8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner8811 View Post
I would consider a couple Stanley cups, being Captain of a franchise for multiple years "a little something to show for it". I also remember when his time in Edmonton was done and he was going into free agency he had his pick of 10-12 teams that wanted this "dumb" hockey player with "very little upstairs".
The 'highly coveted' Kelly Buchberger signed FA deals in PHX and PIT. Not exactly top destinations at the times he took contracts with those 2 teams.

But... really: I'm not interested in trying to tear down 1200 games in the NHL. Thats all in the books.

All I am saying is: Personally,my memories of Bucky were those frustratingly un-wise rushes with the puck he tried to do in Bentley.

Old
06-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Oilers1*

Quote:
Bucky's age is no excuse and it wasn't the reason why he was not a dominant player at the SR level. He was in great shape...ten fold the conditioning of most amateur players. He was bigger,stronger and as fast...if not faster than 90% of the guys he played. Plus the fact he had plenty of lung capacity in comparison as well.

The problem was: He was sans smarts on the ice. It was the same thing in the NHL.

There are several top SR players in a comparable age range to Bucky. There is one guy in particular playing in Fort St John that happens to be a perfect contrast to Bucky: Kip Noble....he's 40+ and still amongst the best in the country.
Bucherber might have been in great shape but he was also coming off a 16-year career of playing with injuries, blocking shots and throwing his body around. . . conditioning is one thing, but I'm betting his 40 year-old body is closer to 60 and that there wasn't much gas in the tank by the time you saw him.

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:14 AM
dsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorb58 View Post
The first game he played was a playoff game that he challenged Dave Brown in. I also remember the Oil on a road trip where he fought and lost bad in Vancouver, I believe it was Odjick that cut him up pretty good. Next night in San Jose he takes another vicious beating from Link Gaetz. How can anyone lose so bad, so often and still want more? I liked Bucky but more guts than brains certainly decribed him.
I actually remember that game where he got killed by Gaetz, but Bucky did win his fair share in his early days.

Another memory I have of Bucky was in his first playoff game in '87, when he crashed the net on Hextall and scored a goal which was waved off. Most people agreed it was a goal, however.

Back in those days he had a far more terrific stride than he did later on; he'd go wide down the boards and try to do the patented Messier wrist shot (without much success...). In fact he was seen as a poor man's Messier, particularly by the way he skated.

dsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:16 AM
dsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers1 View Post
Bucherber might have been in great shape but he was also coming off a 16-year career of playing with injuries, blocking shots and throwing his body around. . . conditioning is one thing, but I'm betting his 40 year-old body is closer to 60 and that there wasn't much gas in the tank by the time you saw him.
Good point. One comparable would be Esa Tikkanen, who couldn't even lead his own team in scoring in the Korean leagues as a 40-year old.

dsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Everest

Quote:
Your totally missing my point.

In physical terms...the guy was still a total horse. Aside from a brutal comb over and some scars. He was not broken down or lame. Not even close.

Bucky wound up meeting his end as a SR player by running head long into a patient,dedicated defensive scheme that counted on him NOT KNOWING how to make the game easy for himself or his linemates.

He was too strong,too proud,too...whatever..to play the game properly.

This was a player who would dig with his bare hands while the machine's built for digging the same hole try to maneuver around him to finish the job.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Gunner8811

Quote:
The 'highly coveted' Kelly Buchberger signed FA deals in PHX and PIT. Not exactly top destinations at the times he took contracts with those 2 teams.

But... really: I'm not interested in trying to tear down 1200 games in the NHL. Thats all in the books.

All I am saying is: Personally,my memories of Bucky were those frustratingly un-wise rushes with the puck he tried to do in Bentley.
Quote:
Bucky MUST never have been actually close to being a good enough player to play in the NHL.

It leaves me wondering just how many guys like Bucky are actually getting by in the NHL even though they have NOTHING in terms of smarts... or hands.

I can list loads of guys who should have went waaaaaay further in their careers than Kelly Buchberger and I know a few are really frustrated by how over rated 'work ethic' or 'guts' can be at times.

I mean...if your going to be DUMB...you have to be tough. That sums up Bucky for the fans who follow(ed) SR Hockey.
Sounds to me like you were trying to REALLY tear it down.
Whatever I'm not going to argue with you about it anymore. Everyone knows your a die hard Generals fan Wade. It's sad that you remember a 19 year NHL veteran with 2 Stanley Cups that played for your beloved Oilers for the majority of those years as a one year Sr. hockey failure at the age of 40....but hey, that is your choice.

Gunner8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner8811 View Post
Sounds to me like you were trying to REALLY tear it down.
Whatever I'm not going to argue with you about it anymore. Everyone knows your a die hard Generals fan Wade. It's sad that you remember a 19 year NHL veteran with 2 Stanley Cups that played for your beloved Oilers for the majority of those years as a one year Sr. hockey failure at the age of 40....but hey, that is your choice.
Sad? I think its a worthy read.

Its not that often a guy who played 1200 NHL games shows up in Bentley or any place like Bentley. Therefore Bucky's performance is bound to be scrutinized by anyone who saw it happen up close.

Compare Bucky to what Theo did with Horse Lake Thunder the year before:

Theoren Fleury: Despite his appalling physical condition and being far more interested in 'things' away from the rink (mostly talking abut things at the lounge) Theo could make people look totally stupid with his smarts/saavy and skill. I don't think it would be a strecth to suggest Fleury had NO HEART as a Sr. player. He DID however fill the rinks where ever he went and for the most part everyone who saw him saw how he COULD have been a great NHL player at one time. Unfortunatley we also saw a lot of what stopped his career at the same time. He was compelling...and not even all that inspired.

Bucky: A clean living, health nut. (as MOST NHL vet's are). With a comparable amount of time in the NHL to Fleury. Totally different kind of player with a totally different impact on SR hockey. Bucky's year here went relativley unnoticed even though he behaved himself off the ice and maintained respect for himself he was an easy mark when AAA playoffs rolled around. Much easier to contain than the permanently hung over Theo Fleury.

I would even say Gino Odjick (a better comparison) was a better Sr. player than Bucky. The reason was easy to see,as well. Gino wasn't trying to do too much. He would take his shots on net and use his line mates.

I'm not saying Fleury won my respect as a Sr player. Just saying Bucky definatley didn't either.

Old
06-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Oilers1*

Quote:
Your totally missing my point.

In physical terms...the guy was still a total horse. Aside from a brutal comb over and some scars. He was not broken down or lame. Not even close.

Bucky wound up meeting his end as a SR player by running head long into a patient,dedicated defensive scheme that counted on him NOT KNOWING how to make the game easy for himself or his linemates.

He was too strong,too proud,too...whatever..to play the game properly.

This was a player who would dig with his bare hands while the machine's built for digging the same hole try to maneuver around him to finish the job.
I think you're missing the point.

I'm not arguing that he wasn't in great shape. You can be in great shape and still be worn down.

I wrecked my shoulder a few months ago; I can still lift weights and stuff, but the range-of-motion is shot, and will be still for awhile now.

1200 NHL games the way Buchberger played them are going to leave their mark, and no amount of time in the gym will change that.

But whatever. OK, he was a bad senior hockey player. I heard he was also bad in pie-eating contests. . .about as relevant to his NHL career, IMO.

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Everest

Quote:
I think you're missing the point.

I'm not arguing that he wasn't in great shape. You can be in great shape and still be worn down.

I wrecked my shoulder a few months ago; I can still lift weights and stuff, but the range-of-motion is shot, and will be still for awhile now.

1200 NHL games the way Buchberger played them are going to leave their mark, and no amount of time in the gym will change that.

But whatever. OK, he was a bad senior hockey player. I heard he was also bad in pie-eating contests. . .about as relevant to his NHL career, IMO.
Best of luck with your shoulder.

Old
06-21-2008, 01:51 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
i was front row at a colorado-edm game right before the playoffs... oilers blew a 1 goal lead late... i remember cujo breaking his stick, and a lot of fights breaking out, including bucky... there was a lot going on, but i just remember seeing bucky with blood on his tattered sweater heading off the ice. nice.
thats gangsta

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote