HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Bailey Scouting Report

Old
06-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Isles4ever11

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
There were 3 offensive players I prayed the Isles would get, Filatov, Boedker & Hodgson, we had a chance at all 3, and picked Bailey. I really didn't want Schenn. The Isles, as usual, really screwed this up. Who cares how many 2nd und picks you have ? How many 2nd rounders wll be as good as Filatov and Boedker (I would bet anything those two become stars, especially since the Isles didn't draft them) ?

Here's some quotes from THN Draft guide on Bailey:

"He's just a smart and responsible two-way player", "I'd think in the NHL, he'd probably top out at as a 60-point guy", "He's a smooth skater, but I don't see the skll set of a high-end offensive player".

ISS chimes in with:

NHL Potential: Top 6- Hard working player who can contribute offensively without sacraficing defense

Style compares to: Andrew Brunette

Hmmm, just what we need, the next Andrew Brunette, that should help the second worst offense in the NHL. I feel much better now knowing we have the next Andrew Burnette and thirty 2nd round picks. Heck, the Rangers at #20 did better than us !
No. They didn't.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:07 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
There were 3 offensive players I prayed the Isles would get, Filatov, Boedker & Hodgson, we had a chance at all 3, and picked Bailey. I really didn't want Schenn. The Isles, as usual, really screwed this up. Who cares how many 2nd und picks you have ? How many 2nd rounders wll be as good as Filatov and Boedker (I would bet anything those two become stars, especially since the Isles didn't draft them) ?

Here's some quotes from THN Draft guide on Bailey:

"He's just a smart and responsible two-way player", "I'd think in the NHL, he'd probably top out at as a 60-point guy", "He's a smooth skater, but I don't see the skll set of a high-end offensive player".

ISS chimes in with:

NHL Potential: Top 6- Hard working player who can contribute offensively without sacraficing defense

Style compares to: Andrew BrunetteHmmm, just what we need, the next Andrew Brunette, that should help the second worst offense in the NHL. I feel much better now knowing we have the next Andrew Burnette and thirty 2nd round picks. Heck, the Rangers at #20 did better than us !
**** an A!.. Nothing against Andrew brunette becuase he is a very good hockey player. But if I had a chance to pick a Dion Phaneuf and a Bure, take one of those guys over a brunette. * days a week. Sorry, not a good pick when you could have a stud at 5. Not saying Bailey isnt good becuase he went right wround where he shouldhave. But, when you have the chance to draft a difference maker, you have to make it.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

I cant believe the people that are already calling Bailey a bust.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Diehard1990

Well i definetly wont be renewing my season tickets this year this team is a complete embarrasment. Garth snow, wang , and eric cairns at the table making big moves haha what a joke

Diehard1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Top Corner

No one knows how a player will develop.

Daigle at 1 was suppose to be a star, I'm sure Brendl was suppose to be something. Getzlaf wasn't going to be anything but a 2nd or 3rd liner and fell.

All kids have things they need to work on, you certainly want a player that is on the rise as he gets older.

This kid looks good in the clips I saw and had decent numbers for a 17 year old.

That said, we still needed a star and if we weren't going to use the 5th certainly grab Boedker at 7. I think Boedker will be better than Bailey so the 40th better land a winner

Top Corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
**** an A!.. Nothing against Andrew brunette becuase he is a very good hockey player. But if I had a chance to pick a Dion Phaneuf and a Bure, take one of those guys over a brunette. * days a week. Sorry, not a good pick when you could have a stud at 5. Not saying Bailey isnt good becuase he went right wround where he shouldhave. But, when you have the chance to draft a difference maker, you have to make it.
If Schenn was projected to be the next Phaneuf he would've been gone @ #4 to STL, the fact is he projects to be strictly a shutdown defensemen he hasn't shown much offensive upside in juniors to be compared to Phaneuf.

Old
06-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard1990 View Post
Well i definetly wont be renewing my season tickets this year this team is a complete embarrasment. Garth snow, wang , and eric cairns at the table making big moves haha what a joke
God, those 3 run our team... that is like a combined IQ of 97.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:16 PM
rmnyi

guys, stop all the ********** crying. Wait until the end of the draft and lets se what garth does with the other picks.

rmnyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Open Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard1990 View Post
AKA: Moe Howard, Shemp Howard and Larry Fine.

Open Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

What could he possibly do to make us forget not taking Schenn or Filatov? All he is going to do is draft a bunch of kids who might or might not pan out (better chance of NOT) & thats about it. We had a chance to get something pretty close to a sure bet. Terrible.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:23 PM
mrislander82

What I fine really funny, is at the Isles open house when they had EJ HRADEK do the draft preview, not even a mention of Bailey!

mrislander82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Islesin93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMTABD View Post
Can't believe we did this. If they really coveted this kid, keep the #5 pick and take either Schenn or Filatov. Then deal from strength; approach the club that drafts Bailey and cut a deal, guaranteed that we wind up with Bailey and another draft pick or someone decent off their club's roster. And while we are at it, if we had Schenn keep him, if Filatov make the deal if you are so concerned about his size.
good point

Islesin93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Brijd10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrislander82 View Post
What I fine really funny, is at the Isles open house when they had EJ HRADEK do the draft preview, not even a mention of Bailey!
Oh no!! I guess he's a total bust then!!!!

Brijd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Titan124

It's not even the end of the first round and Luke Schenn is already Dion Phaneuf (what? He has the offensive potential of Brad Stuart at best), Nikita Filatov is already Pavel Bure (hahaha), and Bailey is a complete bust, despite no one having seen him play. Makes sense.

I really can't name a single stay at home defenseman that you can build a team around. Toronto is absolutely idiotic for doing that. It's sort of like saying why get Bryan Trottier when you can have Kenny Jonsson.

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Open Net

Open Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:48 PM
MilburyRuinedMyLife

Good Bailey thread:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=13084070

MilburyRuinedMyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilburyRuinedMyLife View Post
Nice find.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:25 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Is Bailey a bust already?

My God, I don't think I've ever seen such doom and gloom on this board, which is really saying something considering this IS the Isles board. I understand that you wanted Filatov or Schenn or even Boedker or Wilson over this kid Bailey, but to completely trash the kid because of that is a bit ridiculous. He is still a top prospect, he was still taken 9th overall in a pretty damn good draft, and he still had about 90-something points in 60-something games last year in the OHL, which is pretty damn good.

I think you guys are looking at the "safe pick" label and are just assuming he is going to be the next Ryan O'Marra, which couldn't be further from the truth. This kid has upside, more upside than Colin Wilson, a player who those of you upset right now would have loved to have at pick 7. The only reason this kid is getting bashed is because no one expected a trade-down, therefor no one read up on any prospects not named Filatov, Schenn, Wilson or Boedker.

I'm not going to lie, I wanted Filatov to be the pick. BADLY... But I do think Snow did a solid job in picking up another 3 solid picks while still getting a damn good prospect. A kid who is going to be a huge part of the future here, and a player who will give Okposo every opportunity to be an elite NHL player. Yesterday, we didn't have a 1st-line talent to team up with Okposo. Today, whether some of you want to admit it or not, we do. Bailey has wheels, playmaking ability, and vision. Three things we are severely lacking organizationally. With the 2nd rounders, I understand the Isles have a history of not finding any talent whatsoever after the 1st round, but at worst you have to hope that we at least get lucky and find a gem with at least ONE of our 4 2nd rounders. The draft is a crap shoot, you never know where you will find a star player. Maybe our luck will change this year?

Basically all I'm saying is "relax." I know we are fans that have not had a face to our franchise in quite some time. We have Ricky but it's different when your star player is your goaltender as opposed to being a forward who can bring some flash and excitement. We all wanted Filatov to be that guy but it didn't happen. We need to put it behind us and support Joshua Bailey, our new top-prospect whether we want him to be or not. Give this kid a chance and some support because you never know, maybe we DID walk away with our new face of the franchise...

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:26 PM
kbarbdamnit

Send a message via ICQ to kbarbdamnit Send a message via AIM to kbarbdamnit
Here's his press conference
http://islanders.nhl.tv/team/launch....9316&catid=214

Here's an interview with him.
http://islanders.nhl.tv/team/launch....9313&catid=214

kbarbdamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
I agree. Great post.

Snow **** the bed today, but that shouldn't be held against Bailey. Personally, I can't wait to get a good look at him at prospect camp.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:29 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
they botched it.

I was at the NVMC and half of the fans got up and left after they traded the 7 pick.

Most of the remaining fans walked out after they mentioned this guys name.

This franchise is a joke.
Anyone throw stuff on the ice? I sure as **** wouldve.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:34 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmans Domain View Post
Why does it not surprise me to see the Islanders being the first club to go off the board? I've got a feeling that they're trying to prove to everyone that they're the smartest people in the room, and it saddens me...for the sake of the fans anyway. This may be a tremendous pick in the long run...but at the moment, I'm just left shaking my head even though I really shouldn't be surprised.
They went off the board(if you want to call taking a guy 3 spots ahead of where he was projected to go as going off the board) because he is the guy they wanted after the top defensemen were taken, and they didn't want to risk trading down again and missing out on him. I really wouldn't call where he was drafted as a reach.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
My God, I don't think I've ever seen such doom and gloom on this board, which is really saying something considering this IS the Isles board. I understand that you wanted Filatov or Schenn or even Boedker or Wilson over this kid Bailey, but to completely trash the kid because of that is a bit ridiculous. He is still a top prospect, he was still taken 9th overall in a pretty damn good draft, and he still had about 90-something points in 60-something games last year in the OHL, which is pretty damn good.

I think you guys are looking at the "safe pick" label and are just assuming he is going to be the next Ryan O'Marra, which couldn't be further from the truth. This kid has upside, more upside than Colin Wilson, a player who those of you upset right now would have loved to have at pick 7. The only reason this kid is getting bashed is because no one expected a trade-down, therefor no one read up on any prospects not named Filatov, Schenn, Wilson or Boedker.

I'm not going to lie, I wanted Filatov to be the pick. BADLY... But I do think Snow did a solid job in picking up another 3 solid picks while still getting a damn good prospect. A kid who is going to be a huge part of the future here, and a player who will give Okposo every opportunity to be an elite NHL player. Yesterday, we didn't have a 1st-line talent to team up with Okposo. Today, whether some of you want to admit it or not, we do. Bailey has wheels, playmaking ability, and vision. Three things we are severely lacking organizationally. With the 2nd rounders, I understand the Isles have a history of not finding any talent whatsoever after the 1st round, but at worst you have to hope that we at least get lucky and find a gem with at least ONE of our 4 2nd rounders. The draft is a crap shoot, you never know where you will find a star player. Maybe our luck will change this year?

Basically all I'm saying is "relax." I know we are fans that have not had a face to our franchise in quite some time. We have Ricky but it's different when your star player is your goaltender as opposed to being a forward who can bring some flash and excitement. We all wanted Filatov to be that guy but it didn't happen. We need to put it behind us and support Joshua Bailey, our new top-prospect whether we want him to be or not. Give this kid a chance and some support because you never know, maybe we DID walk away with our new face of the franchise...
Great post.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Belarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
He is a good 2-way player with very good hockey sense,decent size,good work ethic.good leadership skills,good stick-handler,GREAT DEFENSIVE AWARENESS ANTICIPATIONand RESPONSIBILITY --but the big BUTS are: i) skating speed is just very average ii) his shot is just average...Hockey sense can get you points;his defense is way above most juniors who get drafted--so he's a "safe" pick in that sense...but the speed/shot questions put limits on his upside at the next level in some scouts minds...thus while somekids project as first or 2nd liners if they fulfill potential--his projection is probably more 2nd-3rd line NHL'er..He could turn into just a defensive checking centre depending on his nHl situation beause a teams drafting him may already have first and 2nd line centres so if that is the situation he may get shuffled into just a defensive role on a third line...Other kids in the draft either will have to make it in the top six forwards or probably never make it inthe NHL--at least with Bailey you are "safe" because he can be projectedas useful on the bottom two lines...

IN other words--despite his 91 pts--his good defense and 2-way versatility ironically limits
how some scouts project him...Compare to the very fast atheletic BUT SMALL Zac BOYCHUK--he projects as a top six offensive player like a Gionta or St. Louis--but there also is a risk he'llnever make it due to the size issue...No coah would ever keep him as a 3rd line checking centre -he's too small for that..

IF Bailey also had speed and a better than just average shot--then he's be top 5...So what you have with Bailey is either a 3rd line checking centre or a possible 2-way 2nd line centre if he can generate enough points with the right linemates.

Generally he is a very good solid NHL prospect--but due to the above limitations and to his versatility should coaches want him as a defensive centre,you do not put such a player into a top 10--certainly not top 8 in the draft ..There you are looking for definite "home runs" to fill top six roles eventually or in D-men top 1-3 roles.

THis does not mean a team drafting 10th won't take him just because he's rated morelike 16-20....It depends on a team's positional org depth at centre and what types of centres they need or will need..

Note too that ISS has B.U.freshman centre Colin Wilson rated at #9 ..He too has skating speed issues-but is another 2-way centre--the difference is most scouts probably credit him for a better shot than Bailey has...HOWEVER I would not think that any "gap" between Wilson and Bailey is really that big a difference as to perhaps make some teams prefer Bailey instead-it could happen. If a team think some of Bailey's "intangibles" outweigh Wilson's they may prefer taking him ahead of Wilson..

So I can see Bailey going as high as 9th but he probably will not last as late as #20...

Wilson disappeared in the WJHC-U-20 final 2 games for team USA--that might signal some red flags to some teams..Bailey--while he benfits from playing on a line with the sensational 16 yr old phenom Taylor Hall and the definite -probably in the teens of round one--big power forward Greg Nemisz --which creates a great line--NEVERTHELESS cannot be said to be riding on their coattails--most think he is the "glue" of that line --providing leadership,hockeysense to "direct" them,and a defensive component to take pucks away and lead transitions,go into corners for tough effort to outwork the oposition and make plays off the boards to his wingers...theere realy is a lot to like about Bailey..but you also cannot overllok the fact his speed is just barely average...On the other hand,TAVARES has a huge speed problem too --but HE has a great shot/finish around the net--BUT then TAVARES stinks defensively--BAILEY is very good defensively--so a scout thinks TAVARES will be able to score at the NHL level butwill need ways to "cover"for him defensively;whereas the scout might think BAILEY will have trouble scoring goals at the NHL level --so he could just turn into another Jay McClement checking type. The whole key with BAILEY then willbe whata team's scouts think about his "intangibles" and whether they think that unlike with Mcclemment,BAILEY's hockey sense can make up for his lackof speed and lack of a great shot..
interesting insight

Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:41 PM
OpAck

My beef is not with Bailey. Yes, he is a very solid prospect.

But the Isles never seem to go with the fan favorite or the best player and instead go against the grain. There were better options than Bailey at #5. We said the same thing when DiPietro was picked over the likes of Heatley and Gaborik. And then again when they picked Nilsson over the likes of Parise and Getzlaf. It never ends. Snow promised the best player available and I think that was a flat out lie. That's my problem. I hope he proves us wrong and Bailey turns out to be a great TOP line center that this organization has not had since Turgeon. But the Isles are going about it the long, winded way.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote