HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Round 2, pick #51 - Rangers select C Derek Stepan (Shat.-St. Mary's, High-MN)

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2008, 11:15 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmac View Post
I think that was just the announcer forgetting that Don Maloney wasn't on the Rangers anymore...
yea sather has not made a big trade at the draft since hes been here. and i dont mean moving up a few spots either.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:18 PM
NYR425

We have to trade up to the top of the 2nd round and get LW-,Nicholas Deschamps, he is the BPA. I feel we can not take a chance on Petrov not coming over. Other player I love is D- Brandon Burlon. I would trade up and get either in a heart beat.
If we stay put there are a few players to look for... F- Petersson,Dalpe,Paquette, McRae, Arniel, Toews, Hayes,Staal, Hulking Def- Adam Comrie...Def- Josi, Robak, Ness, Niemi, Blomqvist, Goldeuf ... We should get a solid player... Since the strength is still defense I would not be surprised if we went Defense again ....

Old
06-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Interesting, Ness is still available..

15 Notables Still On the Board at the Start of the 2nd round:

Zac Dalpe, F
Colby Robak, D
Kirill Petrov, F
Jared Staal, F
Jyri Niemi, D
Nic Deschamps, F
Aaron Ness, D
David Toews, F
Yann Sauve, D
Jamie Arniel, F
Evgeni Grachev, F
Shawn Lalonde, D
Matt Calvert, F
Cody Goloubef, D
Brandon Burlon, D

If your looking for big and nasty, Sauve and Fienhage are there but I'm not so sure either of the two are worth it.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:27 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Interesting, Ness is still available..

15 Notables Still On the Board at the Start of the 2nd round:

Zac Dalpe, F
Colby Robak, D
Kirill Petrov, F
Jared Staal, F
Jyri Niemi, D
Nic Deschamps, F
Aaron Ness, D
David Toews, F
Yann Sauve, D
Jamie Arniel, F
Evgeni Grachev, F
Shawn Lalonde, D
Matt Calvert, F
Cody Goloubef, D
Brandon Burlon, D

If your looking for big and nasty, Sauve and Fienhage are there but I'm not so sure either of the two are worth it.
Still don't like Robak...Toews could be interesting...Michael Stone and Adam Comrie are two other D-men of interest.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Still don't like Robak...Toews could be interesting...Michael Stone and Adam Comrie are two other D-men of interest.
Oh I'm in the same boat, I'm just listing. In fact, I wouldn't take Robak with our 51st even if he fell.

I guess I'm hoping for one of Deschamps, Niemi, Ness, Petrov, or Staal. Actually, I didn't realize our 3rd was the 75th..I would see if Petrov falls to that pick rather than use 51 on him.

Last edited by Anthony Mauro: 06-20-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old
06-20-2008, 11:38 PM
bagh

vCash: 562
O.k. I sort of have one suggestion for the 2nd round.

How about Harri Säteri? I loved watching this guys in the World Juniors and in all honesty the guy we drafted in the 2nd last year (LaFleur) seems like nothing special.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

So we're looking forward to the 51st, 75th, 141st, 171st, and 201st.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagh View Post
O.k. I sort of have one suggestion for the 2nd round.

How about Harri Säteri? I loved watching this guys in the World Juniors and in all honesty the guy we drafted in the 2nd last year (LaFleur) seems like nothing special.
I wouldn't mind any of the goalies available..Allen, Markstrom, Sateri, Tokarski.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:44 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Oh I'm in the same boat, I'm just listing. In fact, I wouldn't take Robak with our 51st even if he fell.

I guess I'm hoping for one of Deschamps, Niemi, Ness, Petrov, or Staal.
I'd be surprised if the Rangers took either player, especially after getting Del Zotto. I don't think there much difference among the talent in the 2nd round. I think you have a better chance to draft need, which, for the Rangers, means skilled forward. Wouldn't be surprised to see Prucha moved on day 2.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
Really? Would you like to elaborate?
They similar, big playmaking, d-responsible centers, good skaters... except Gratchev slightly better in everything, and bigger. He looked like pro among clumsy kids on U18. Scored pretty goal against Canada . No idea why this dude still not playing in RSL.

I like Petrov but Gratchev potentially better, i think he will be steal of the draft. But he is center...

Old
06-20-2008, 11:47 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
They similar, big playmaking, d-responsible centers, good skaters... except Gratchev slightly better in everything, and bigger. He looked like pro among clumsy kids on U18. Scored pretty goal against Canada . No idea why this dude still not playing in RSL.

I like Petrov but Gratchev potentially better, i think he will be steal of the draft. But he is center...
Any chance he can be converted to be a winger? I'd take a flyer on this guy if he's available.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I'd be surprised if the Rangers took either player, especially after getting Del Zotto. I don't think there much difference among the talent in the 2nd round. I think you have a better chance to draft need, which, for the Rangers, means skilled forward. Wouldn't be surprised to see Prucha moved on day 2.
I see where you're coming from, but even with DZ our pool of defense prospects is light. I always believe in BPA.

I was just going to say couldn't a team with multiple 2nd/3rd rounders take a chance on a guy like Prucha? I love the draft and having to look forward to many picks, but if I had a chance to add a proven 3rd liner to my team I'd move a pick for him. LA just lost Cammy and has a ton of picks, why not add someone like Prucha?

Old
06-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Thefalkon

They need to take a Winger. Petrov would be if he's available.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:56 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I see where you're coming from, but even with DZ our pool of defense prospects is light. I always believe in BPA.

I was just going to say couldn't a team with multiple 2nd/3rd rounders take a chance on a guy like Prucha? I love the draft and having to look forward to many picks, but if I had a chance to add a proven 3rd liner to my team I'd move a pick for him. LA just lost Cammy and has a ton of picks, why not add someone like Prucha?
I agree...I just think BPA becomes less distinctive past the 1st round...so, teams are more likely to draft a player of need since there isn't as great a differential.

Old
06-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Here's how deep this draft is, someone like me who normally only really cares about the first round actually knows many of the names remaining in the second round. Color me happy if Ness, Dalpe, Niemi, either Sauve, Staal, or Deschamps are still around at #51. IF we go off the board I wouldn't mind Greg Burke (LW) or Greg Pateryn (D), either. Both big kids with lots of potential, and both going to college. If Slats holds true to form, and likes kids playing in the CCHA, I could see him trading down for Pateryn.

I'm actually stunned the first round was so big on D.

Old
06-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
Any chance he can be converted to be a winger? I'd take a flyer on this guy if he's available.
Player with his tools, with his skating can play on and position, im sure. But he is natural born center, it would waste of talent.

Old
06-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Unk

Well, it would be interesting if both Ness and Petrov are available a 51st overall. Nabbing two offensive defensemen in the first two rounds should certainly give us a good chance on one panning out, and considering we have four years to sign Ness, he could certaintly work on size by compensating with some smart play if he learns well. I dunno if its too much of a gamble, but I just wonder, if that does happen, if Petrov will last until the 75th pick.

Old
06-21-2008, 01:08 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

I have a feeling Petrov is going to fall far in this draft. I'd take a flyer on Staal at 51.

Old
06-21-2008, 01:28 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Petrov for sure.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:00 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
My top 5 for the Rangers at 51 (realistic):
Petrov
Staal
Wahl
Toews
Sauve

Old
06-21-2008, 02:01 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

I have no idea who the Rangers should go after in the 2nd round but If it were me I'd go after the HIGHEST RISK/HIGHEST REWARD player...

Old
06-21-2008, 02:04 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I have no idea who the Rangers should go after in the 2nd round but If it were me I'd go after the HIGHEST RISK/HIGHEST REWARD player...
That would be Petrov.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:10 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
That would be Petrov.
I'd be fine with Petrov or Staal in the 2nd round...

Old
06-21-2008, 02:22 AM
NYReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
You can never have enough good D men. I wanted a forward in the first but am happy with Del Zotto. He's another good "young" player added to the Rangers stable.
A lot of reports say that del Zotto is strictly an offensive defenseman and his defensive game is poor and I'm concerned a lot of his assists were plays that Tavares made after happening to receive a pass from del Zotto.

On the subject of Tavares, how about Justin Azevedo? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Azevedo I haven't heard anything about him in the second round, is there something I'm missing with him?? Would love to add someone with that kind of scoring capability.

In the second I'd go with Petrov if he's there, otherwise a shut down defenseman (the best one available at this point, whoever it may be) but I'd look to get Azevedo in the third if he is eligible. I'm concerned he isn't because I can't figure out why he doesn't get a look when people just as small like Tedenby who had 6 points are going in the first round and I never hear the name of a guy who scored 160 points in 87 games and won basically every award in the OHL last year...

Old
06-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

staal, from everything ive read about him, is a 3rd rounder, why would anyone be super happy to have him in the 2nd?

Closed Thread