HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guess who I ran into yesterday...

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2004, 10:14 PM
Dykhuis26

vCash: 500
Guess who I ran into yesterday...

Chris Therien at Alma de Cuba! Haha. I asked him what he's doing in Philly and he said his wife is from here and they're going to continue to live here. I told him I was sorry to see him go (blatant lie). I asked him who the goalie of the future is for the Flyers...Esche or Nittimaki and he said Esche without hesitation. Then he started raving about Kiprasoff and how Hexy was telling him about Kip when he was in San Jose. We shoulda had him!!

Old
05-29-2004, 10:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Anyone could have had Kiprusoff. Many people at the time (including me) thought Calgary overpaid with a 2nd in 2005 (Hedberg and obviously Cechmanek got moved for 2nd round picks, neither of which were the 3rd goalie on the team though).

Guess not.

Kiprusoff was supposed to be pretty good, he got the same training in San Jose that Nabokov got, so I'm convinced that this is the real Mikka Kiprusoff, maybe not as spactacular next year, but he'll be a good one.

To be honest, I think Esche was in over his head this year. I would not be suprised if he was to come back to Earth and struggle for at least part of the season, but his situation reminds me of Giguere, Irbe, Theodore when they all broke onto the scene.

Be forewarned before you want to dump off Sean Burke.

Old
05-29-2004, 11:05 PM
goodrev

if esche falters next year we have a perfectly ablebodied and talented player in antero nittymaki who showed breifly that he has NHL stuff and there is no doubt in my mind that next year if esche falters he will be the backstop until esche straightens his head out, i am not sad to see burke go, this team has no room for his salary and its also a team that needs to get younger fast, he doesnt fit the mold

esche is what he is, the only way he will get better now is from experience... personally the only reason i think nabokov didnt get sat with kiprusoff behind him was becaues once again he was making the dough and if you commit to a goalie you gotta play him and at least let him try and work out his kinks, he didnt have too bad a year himself getting to the western conference finals and all... he was their starter and they stood by him, kiprusoff finally got his break and someone gave him a chance and he took full advantage of it

Old
05-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Dave Carlson

Esche has the athleticism and ability to take over games to be an elite goal tender IMO. It seems like he has steadily improved over time and that his major flaws are correctable. I think it will all come down to if he is able to deal with the pressure of playing here and keeping it all together. If we don't give him the starters job next year unconditionally, I say he's a goner.

Old
05-30-2004, 12:18 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1930
Last year, when Giguere was a restricted free agent, I recall a member of the Philly media imploring Clarkie to sign Giguere and give the appropriate compensation since the window for the Flyers to win the Cup was small in his view. Well, imagine if that compensation was given, Giguere had a mediocre season and Esche went on to another team and had a terrific season? All hell would have broken loose.

If the power play was remotely effective against Tampa Bay, the Flyers would most likely be in the Finals.

Old
05-30-2004, 06:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodrev
if esche falters next year we have a perfectly ablebodied and talented player in antero nittymaki who showed breifly that he has NHL stuff and there is no doubt in my mind that next year if esche falters he will be the backstop until esche straightens his head out, i am not sad to see burke go, this team has no room for his salary and its also a team that needs to get younger fast, he doesnt fit the mold

esche is what he is, the only way he will get better now is from experience... personally the only reason i think nabokov didnt get sat with kiprusoff behind him was becaues once again he was making the dough and if you commit to a goalie you gotta play him and at least let him try and work out his kinks, he didnt have too bad a year himself getting to the western conference finals and all... he was their starter and they stood by him, kiprusoff finally got his break and someone gave him a chance and he took full advantage of it
You really think that Hitchcock is going to let a rookie take over the team as opposed to having a veteran who has started many many years in the NHL? I think not. We know how Hitchcock doesn't give kids a chance. He was forced to play Pitkanen in the playoffs, he played Sharp, but very reluctantly. The only way that Niittymaki gets a shot is if Clarke tells Hitchcock to do it, or the top 2 goalies get hurt again.

Old
05-30-2004, 10:26 AM
Overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles

If the power play was remotely effective against Tampa Bay, the Flyers would most likely be in the Finals.
The same could be said for the penalty kill. It was just as bad against Tampa as the power play.

Old
05-30-2004, 11:16 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
You really think that Hitchcock is going to let a rookie take over the team as opposed to having a veteran who has started many many years in the NHL? I think not. We know how Hitchcock doesn't give kids a chance. He was forced to play Pitkanen in the playoffs, he played Sharp, but very reluctantly. The only way that Niittymaki gets a shot is if Clarke tells Hitchcock to do it, or the top 2 goalies get hurt again.
makes me wonder, if we do go for a youth movement soon, is Hitch the man for that job?

Old
05-30-2004, 11:44 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
makes me wonder, if we do go for a youth movement soon, is Hitch the man for that job?

The man that has to instruct the youth movement is Ed Snider. Clarke won't come to it and neither is Hitchcock. Depends how the youth movement is done, if you're gonna blow it all up or work guys like Carter into the lineup.

To stop talking in circles...no. He upsetted many young players in Dallas, one of them was Brenden Morrow, and was continually criticized for being too hard on young players (Niko Kapanen)

Old
05-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Overtime

I don't think the Flyers are planning a youth movement any time soon. As for Pitkanen, he was ready to sit out games. His play had gone downhill as the season wore on. Hitchcock knew that. I give him credit for sitting the kid instead of putting him in situations he was failing at. He'll get better and he will play.

At the end of last year's playoffs Hitchcock announced that the younger players would start to get more ice time in critical situations, but it was the vets who came up big and Hitchcock realized that and played them.

Doesn't everyone want the players who play well to be rewarded?

Old
05-30-2004, 01:02 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtime
I don't think the Flyers are planning a youth movement any time soon. As for Pitkanen, he was ready to sit out games. His play had gone downhill as the season wore on. Hitchcock knew that. I give him credit for sitting the kid instead of putting him in situations he was failing at. He'll get better and he will play.

At the end of last year's playoffs Hitchcock announced that the younger players would start to get more ice time in critical situations, but it was the vets who came up big and Hitchcock realized that and played them.

Doesn't everyone want the players who play well to be rewarded?
but they should be planning their youth movement very soon, as many have said before here, the core of the team is getting very old, and the longer we wait and try and make this team a contender, the more we'll loose our porspects in trades while we plug holes trying to remain competative

Old
05-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
but they should be planning their youth movement very soon, as many have said before here, the core of the team is getting very old, and the longer we wait and try and make this team a contender, the more we'll loose our porspects in trades while we plug holes trying to remain competative
Well, as GKJ stated, this all depends on Snider and Clarke.

It's likely that we will never see a full blown "youth" movement. Last season, when it was announced that the Flyers would get "younger", it happened initially, but before they had a chance to establish themselves, Hitch began messing with the lines, and slowly the vets creeped back into the fold.

As long as Hitchcock is here, he'll want to play the vets. There are two obvious solutions. Fire Hitch (which I don't want to see happen), or get rid of the veteren players.

Old
06-01-2004, 11:20 AM
VaFlyer

A youth movement will only occur if the vets aren't here

Old
06-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Flyers26

You can't just implode the team, and go with an AHL roster. Everyone here can say to do that, and if they did, everyone would then be complaining about not making the playoffs,ect..

Old
06-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Overtime

A successful team doesn't have all vets nor all youth. It is a nice mixture of each.

More important than getting vets for the sake of having vets, or bringing in youth for the sake of having youth is having players that are good players despite their age.

We have a handful of youngsters in the system that are ready to bring up. But it isn't enough to round out a team. A team full of young players is usually a mistake. THey need the veteran influence.

Old
06-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
You can't just implode the team, and go with an AHL roster. Everyone here can say to do that, and if they did, everyone would then be complaining about not making the playoffs,ect..

I would not mind missing the playoff for a couple of years. It is part of the sport cycle of life. Just look at the Pittsburgh Pens. They shot their load in 2001. Now they are a struggling team but they have so much young talent and a future. Watching a young talented team improve is almost as fun as watching a team built of the same group of core players get elimited from the playoff every year without a cup. The only difference is, the young team will get better and better. The team of older players has to trade prospects in order to stay at its "competitive level". If the Flyers continue on the same path, they will continue to go 2 or 3 round deep every year but will never win the cup while teams like the Pens and more recently TB will get better and better and most likely surpass the Flyers.

Last edited by Cuiff: 06-01-2004 at 01:05 PM.
Closed Thread