HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 4, pick #111 - Rangers select RW Dale Weise (Swift Current, WHL)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2008, 11:36 AM
  #26
bagh
Registered User
 
bagh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
from the predators page:
Pick 111
The Predators swung their third trade of the day sending the 111th pick to the NY Rangers for the 201st pick and the Rangers' fourth round pick next year.

shame they have a more updated page than us...
a 7th rounder and a 4th runder next year....interesting.

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:37 AM
  #27
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,138
vCash: 500
figured it was the 5th and another pick next yr......meh its all good

hopefully the 4th was Hollweg

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:38 AM
  #28
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,475
vCash: 500
I was happy with the pick..untill I realized he's almost 20 years old.

Eric Hunter part two?

Why wasn't he drafted last season?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:38 AM
  #29
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,138
vCash: 500
whoops , nix the above...........i guess they wanted their guy and well a 7th is a 7th.........Hollweg can get us another pick back,haha

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:38 AM
  #30
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
what's to be puzzled about?

Not all kids are scorers...
Yes, but to not be a scorer - especially when bigger and older than everyone else, mind you - in juniors is indicative of a lack of skill. Why trade to grab a guy in the 4th round who's ceiling projects at no higher than 4th line? Those players can be had already playing at the NHL level for the same price you paid, or lower.

Now, there may be something I'm missing - certainly I know nothing about the kid. Maybe he showed tremendous development during the year, maybe he's coming off an injury, maybe they think he's the prototypical "late developing power forward", etc. I'm just saying that I looked at the stats and was puzzled by the raw info I saw.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:38 AM
  #31
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 79,584
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
does NOBODY understand what Im saying around here? I AM typing in english. Im saying its likely these guys would still be there, and probably wouldnt have needed to trade up to get them.

thats ALL Im saying. for christ's sake.
I completely disagree. This is a solid pick. I like Weise a lot and I see him in the NHL. Not at a scorers level, but I definitely see the kid being on the bottom two lines. 100%.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:38 AM
  #32
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun
 
Cynical TyranT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: TX
Country: American Samoa
Posts: 4,049
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
I dont like jacking around with next year's picks so much. Isnt that supposed to be an even deeper draft than this year's?

hope these kids pan out.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:40 AM
  #33
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I was happy with the pick..untill I realized he's almost 20 years old.

Eric Hunter part two?

Why wasn't he drafted last season?
Or, as FLY said more succinctly...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:41 AM
  #34
MortUWary
Registered Loser
 
MortUWary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
I dont like jacking around with next year's picks so much. Isnt that supposed to be an even deeper draft than this year's?
Agreed. I sincerely hope that we didn't move a 3rd in 2009 to Phoenix for Kundratek.

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:41 AM
  #35
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
I dont like jacking around with next year's picks so much. Isnt that supposed to be an even deeper draft than this year's?

hope these kids pan out.
What's to prevent the Rangers from moving around in next year's draft?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:43 AM
  #36
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
What's to prevent the Rangers from moving around in next year's draft?
Well, you can always move around if you're willing to pay the price - but it will probably be much more expensive, given how deep next year is supposed to be.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:43 AM
  #37
JayMan82
Registered User
 
JayMan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post
Agreed. I sincerely hope that we didn't move a 3rd in 2009 to Phoenix for Kundratek.
I still think it's compensation for LeNeveu not resigning...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:44 AM
  #38
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun
 
Cynical TyranT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: TX
Country: American Samoa
Posts: 4,049
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
What's to prevent the Rangers from moving around in next year's draft?
uhm, nothing? But if we traded one of our picks next year... thats less they'll have TO move around? ... sooooooooo as I was saying.. hopefully they dont trade too many guys.

But of course, SOMEONE's gonna come and say:

"Of course they're not gonna trade too many guys"

blah blah. everybody's acting like a real ****** bag today. Cant say a damn thing without somebody having to attempt to contradict a simple statement.

so ONCE AGAIN:

hopefully we dont screw around with too many of our 09 picks.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:45 AM
  #39
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 79,584
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Or, as FLY said more succinctly...
So what the hell is Phoenix doing taking a guy passed over twice in the first round?

Who gives a **** if he wasn't picked the 1st time around?

I've seen this kid with my own eyes and had him ranked to go in the top 100. He's a solid player who improved his overall game a lot this past year.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:46 AM
  #40
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Yes, but to not be a scorer - especially when bigger and older than everyone else, mind you - in juniors is indicative of a lack of skill. Why trade to grab a guy in the 4th round who's ceiling projects at no higher than 4th line? Those players can be had already playing at the NHL level for the same price you paid, or lower.

Now, there may be something I'm missing - certainly I know nothing about the kid. Maybe he showed tremendous development during the year, maybe he's coming off an injury, maybe they think he's the prototypical "late developing power forward", etc. I'm just saying that I looked at the stats and was puzzled by the raw info I saw.

Not all guys have to be skilled to be effective checking players. I don't think stats ever tell the whole story with any hockey player. I also don't think age is that big of an issue. Have I seen this kid play to tell you if this was the right selection? no, but i can understand the thought process behind the pick...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:47 AM
  #41
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Well, you can always move around if you're willing to pay the price - but it will probably be much more expensive, given how deep next year is supposed to be.

But there is a whole year before we start worrying about that. We don't even know what the roster is going to look like going into this upcoming season. What if this team does tank and starts selling off assets? What if these kids develop well and become viable assets at the trade deadline? What if players like Prucha or Hollweg get moved for picks? Too much uncertainty to be worried about next year at this time already.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:48 AM
  #42
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
So what the hell is Phoenix doing taking a guy passed over twice in the first round?

Who gives a **** if he wasn't picked the 1st time around?

I've seen this kid with my own eyes and had him ranked to go in the top 100. He's a solid player who improved his overall game a lot this past year.
No worries, you gotta remember that on HF 20 yr olds are scrubs compared to 18 yr olds.

Lets just say the progression and success of guys like Backes and Booth make Wiese a viable 4th round pick.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:49 AM
  #43
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
uhm, nothing? But if we traded one of our picks next year... thats less they'll have TO move around? ... sooooooooo as I was saying.. hopefully they dont trade too many guys.

But of course, SOMEONE's gonna come and say:

"Of course they're not gonna trade too many guys"

blah blah. everybody's acting like a real ****** bag today. Cant say a damn thing without somebody having to attempt to contradict a simple statement.

so ONCE AGAIN:

hopefully we dont screw around with too many of our 09 picks.

I hope we use our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, round picks on a Restricted Free Agent but I know that's just me..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:50 AM
  #44
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun
 
Cynical TyranT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: TX
Country: American Samoa
Posts: 4,049
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I hope we use our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, round picks on a Restricted Free Agent but I know that's just me..
lol. If we did, we should do it to Burke.

I think he'd go on a shooting spree.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:50 AM
  #45
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
I don't get it we made 2 trades to move up for guys who aren't outstanding in their own right by any chance at all.


Please, do not comment anymore.. save us the trouble of reading awkward things like this.


This is the kind of stuff that I was bickering about in the other thread.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:52 AM
  #46
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I hope we use our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, round picks on a Restricted Free Agent but I know that's just me..
I sure as hell would, picking in the late teens or twenties is never gonna get us that lynchpin offensive winger..

only thing is, who's available? i believe this is an uninspiring crop of RFA's

maybe Perry?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:53 AM
  #47
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
I sure as hell would, picking in the late teens or twenties is never gonna get us that lynchpin offensive winger..

only thing is, who's available? i believe this is an uninspiring crop of RFA's

maybe Perry?

I'd target Vermette especially with Avery likely to be gone...

I bet the Ducks would match and offer for Perry...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:53 AM
  #48
Kendo
Registered User
 
Kendo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Hamburger Train.
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
I like this little tidbit from NHL.com:

4 111 NYR
(from NYR)
DALE WEISE Aug 5, 1988 WINNIPEG, MB CA 6' 2" 206 WHL SWIFT CURRENT RW


Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:55 AM
  #49
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
But there is a whole year before we start worrying about that. We don't even know what the roster is going to look like going into this upcoming season. What if this team does tank and starts selling off assets? What if these kids develop well and become viable assets at the trade deadline? What if players like Prucha or Hollweg get moved for picks? Too much uncertainty to be worried about next year at this time already.
I was explaining CT's reluctance. I don't necessarily disagree with you.

So long as you're dealing with later round picks, I think you make the moves you need to make at the time. But it all depends on just HOW deep next year is - if it extends all the way down into the later rounds, then a 4th rounder next year might be equivalent to a late 2nd rounder this year. And that then WOULD be a bad trade.

At the end of the day, I know nothing more than I read about any of these kids - all I can discuss is strategy. Obviously any player who turns into a useful NHLer is a good pick and you made the right move at the time - but the same thing can be said about the moves you didn't make/the guy you could pick next year.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:59 AM
  #50
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
So what the hell is Phoenix doing taking a guy passed over twice in the first round?

Who gives a **** if he wasn't picked the 1st time around?

I've seen this kid with my own eyes and had him ranked to go in the top 100. He's a solid player who improved his overall game a lot this past year.
That's more than I can say about any of these kids. I hope you're right! (After all I do root for the team.)

I just look at the numbers, see the age and at least on paper am not convinced.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.