HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reason for all the American picks?

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

vCash: 500
I'll be flame for this But i think the QJMHL suck at develloping players and thats why none were taken in the first round

Old
06-21-2008, 01:53 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Alright then we'll give Higgins, Komisarek, McDonagh, and Pacioretty back if you're not happy with them.
What I was pointing out is the argument that we must draft US born players because we don't have to sign them before 3-4 years... That's all.

Anyway. Claude Giroux will make circles around David Fischer in the future... If Fischer ever makes the NHL, of course.

Old
06-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Khabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
What I was pointing out is the argument that we must draft US born players because we don't have to sign them before 3-4 years...
That's all.
Not that we must, but that that's a TREMENDOUS advantage.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
I'll be flame for this But i think the QJMHL suck at develloping players and thats why none were taken in the first round
yup they say it every year

and every year its "No no no its not true"

the RDS talks about it, and TQS (110%) and La Zone...

then they forget...

but its been happening for a while... I remember I looked into it alot last year... but people like denying it.

Also u'll only get flamed by idiots

Identify them and put them on a nice list for future instances of confusion, where such information will better help you understand the words they speak

Old
06-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

He just had another spaz attack about the last pick...

Old
06-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

I was bored with seeing one name after another from the Q in the first round of the2008 draft.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

At the very least, we should have had pick a Q guy with the last pick.....don't tell me there's really a BPA at that round.....

Especially when we keep hearing how it's a crapshoot and all those excuses....

Old
06-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Erik Estrada

You'll rarely get a steal from the CHL. The mid to late round gems are more often found lately in Europe, the USHL, tier-2 leagues, HS etc... Places less heavily scouted ,where it's harder to evaluate the quality of the competition, etc...

Old
06-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Gustave

Unbearable. Bogus coverage, no pertinent info on players, even the Q players. He knows nothing about the players/drafties, and I don't know if he knows five players from every NHL team. Basically, Therrien's a tool.

And the "Foutaise" comment by Gélinas left a foul taste in my mouth. Next time, do your job, get the interviews and end it there. No need to bash the team in a draft when you have no idea how thepicks will turn out.

I despise that channel. They fail.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
At the very least, we should have had pick a Q guy with the last pick.....don't tell me there's really a BPA at that round.....

Have you ever thought that at late seven round ther isn't a Q player around that have the slightest chance to make the NHL one day?

Old
06-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
Unbearable. Bogus coverage, no pertinent info on players, even the Q players. He knows nothing about the players/drafties, and I don't know if he knows five players from every NHL team. Basically, Therrien's a tool.

And the "Foutaise" comment by Gélinas left a foul taste in my mouth. Next time, do your job, get the interviews and end it there. No need to bash the team in a draft when you have no idea how thepicks will turn out.

All this is soooo non-professionnal, we will haer about it all summer long.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Montrealer

Quote:

Some teams don't give a **** and draft John Q. Popular in the last round because they want to catch a flight home.

Some teams draft Henrik Zetterberg in the 7th round.

Which do you prefer? Honestly, this is going beyond whining and into the idiocy zone.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Turbo

Yes. Yes, he is.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Erik Estrada

Give me an M, M! Give me an O, O!...

Old
06-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
Some teams don't give a **** and draft John Q. Popular in the last round because they want to catch a flight home.

Some teams draft Henrik Zetterberg in the 7th round.

Which do you prefer? Honestly, this is going beyond whining and into the idiocy zone.
The idiocy zone starts with people who insults others and have no ****ing idea what they are talking about. I had the privilege in watching a lot of Q games, A LOT. So I was obviously pulling for guys that I thought deserved a chance with us. My team is the Habs, league that I watched the most is the Q. Contrary to a lot of people in here, I try to talk about something I know.

How do you think that our 2 Q scouts feel right now. They are pissed off 'cause they did try to sell their guys and it wasn't considered. So I'm dissapointed like they probably are.

What's the problem with that?

Old
06-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Gaston Therrien: "Peut-etre que je connais pas le hockey, je veux bien l'admettre"

10 minutes ago

Old
06-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
All this is soooo non-professionnal, we will haer about it all summer long.
What was known as reporting journalism as turned into emotion ridden commenting. It's basically the opposite nowadays.

We get more thought out reports on this internet board. Sad.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Have you ever thought that at late seven round ther isn't a Q player around that have the slightest chance to make the NHL one day?
Sure like Johnson might never will. To my knowledge, a guy like Tousignant was at least as good as Johnson.

And since I've seen Tousignant or Knotek play more than Johnson, I was pulling for them.

I know it's a trend that a lot of people don't know around here, but I prefer to talk about something I personnally witness and try not to take somebody else's word for granted. Can't always do that, but I do the best I can.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Lone Rogue

The CHL needs to be abolished and replaced by a Canadian Collegiate system where we can then start pumping money into the Elementary schools to support ice hockey for kids, but thats an argument for another day.

Makes me wonder how many year it'll be until kids from Madison, Wisconsin outnumber kids from Laval in terms of draftees...

Old
06-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Garo

Quote:
How do you think that our 2 Q scouts feel right now. They are pissed off 'cause they did try to sell their guys and it wasn't considered. So I'm dissapointed like they probably are.
I read last year that they told Timmins it was a pretty poor class, hasn't been confirmed of course but it makes sense.

Could it be possible that the same happened this year, and the probable picks were just picked ahead of us? Could be.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Makes me wonder how many year it'll be until kids from Madison, Wisconsin outnumber kids from Laval in terms of draftees...
I don't think you'll have anything to worry about anytime soon. Madison (nor the state of Wisconsin) producers more players than Minnesota, Massachusetts or Michigan. Now how many U of Wisconsin-bound players? That's a different story.

BTW, here's some food for thought:

The area of the US that you should be worried about is California. There were a boatload of players born and/or raised in the Golden State that were taken in this draft...and a good portion of them play/played in Western Canada either in the Dub or the BCHL.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:43 PM
tiredman

Let's be honest here, everyone is bashing RDS for their homerism about quebecois... but can someone explain me why does the montreal canadiens, the only team in a francophone province, are, year after year, the team with the most quebecois francophone on their team ? It's because the team actually do care about the nationalities of their players [for various reasons].

Yet, I rarely see the same people bashing their favourite team about this or even talking about this fact... but they are the first to spit on RDS for talking about nationalities of players in the draft.

I've listenned Gaston Therrien today... and I must agree that he didn't have much to say. He didn't know 99% of the players drafted... his performance was mediocre.

Though, I think there are many people on these boards who didn't even listen to him... His message was essentially "i don't know the player they drafted. we'll give the chance to trevor timmins. i know the team must draft the BPA. but it would be good to see the habs drafting some quebecois too" and i personnally see no reason to hate him for that. it only showed how unprofessional he was to not know anything about anyone.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
I read last year that they told Timmins it was a pretty poor class, hasn't been confirmed of course but it makes sense.

Could it be possible that the same happened this year, and the probable picks were just picked ahead of us? Could be.
Sure. And you know what? That's exactly what Timmins said on RDS. That players he wanted from the Q were ALL picked ahead of his pick.
So were everybody wrong when they were seeing that Timmins don't care about where the players are from?

From his own words, he wanted Q players but they were all gone....

Having said that....tons of Q players ended up elsewhere after we had pick somebody.

But he also stated clearly in that interview that the American development program is quite great and that he respects it a lot. That the pool of prospects is greater in those leagues. So let's get use to it. It will be where we'll end up selecting our players as long as he's amongst us.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Ledevin

Quote:
The idiocy zone starts with people who insults others and have no ****ing idea what they are talking about. I had the privilege in watching a lot of Q games, A LOT. So I was obviously pulling for guys that I thought deserved a chance with us. My team is the Habs, league that I watched the most is the Q. Contrary to a lot of people in here, I try to talk about something I know.

What's the problem with that?
+1
Spot on.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post

Well Therrien does what they ask of him. He's not a journalist and doesn't go around the World to learn to see who are these young men. He's former coach with some hockey knowledge, sits on a chair and give us his opinion. It probably goes like this:"would you be interested in covering the draft this weekend?". And he says yes. And that's it.

Gélinas though... this "foutaise" comment that's what make me sick. Instead of just reporting the news these guys have to give their opinion. I wish their boss would tell them that what they're doing is not writing a column.

Closed Thread