HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reason for all the American picks?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2008, 01:52 PM
  #51
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups
 
Metropolitsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,414
vCash: 500
I'll be flame for this But i think the QJMHL suck at develloping players and thats why none were taken in the first round

Metropolitsky is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 01:53 PM
  #52
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Alright then we'll give Higgins, Komisarek, McDonagh, and Pacioretty back if you're not happy with them.
What I was pointing out is the argument that we must draft US born players because we don't have to sign them before 3-4 years... That's all.

Anyway. Claude Giroux will make circles around David Fischer in the future... If Fischer ever makes the NHL, of course.

CanadienErrant* is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 01:54 PM
  #53
Khabby
Registered User
 
Khabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
What I was pointing out is the argument that we must draft US born players because we don't have to sign them before 3-4 years...
That's all.
Not that we must, but that that's a TREMENDOUS advantage.

Khabby is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:04 PM
  #54
Ape Clutch
Registered User
 
Ape Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Haiti
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
I'll be flame for this But i think the QJMHL suck at develloping players and thats why none were taken in the first round
yup they say it every year

and every year its "No no no its not true"

the RDS talks about it, and TQS (110%) and La Zone...

then they forget...

but its been happening for a while... I remember I looked into it alot last year... but people like denying it.


Also u'll only get flamed by idiots

Identify them and put them on a nice list for future instances of confusion, where such information will better help you understand the words they speak

Ape Clutch is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:12 PM
  #55
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,533
vCash: 500
He just had another spaz attack about the last pick...

Chris Cutter is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:17 PM
  #56
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,751
vCash: 500
I was bored with seeing one name after another from the Q in the first round of the2008 draft.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:19 PM
  #57
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,016
vCash: 500
At the very least, we should have had pick a Q guy with the last pick.....don't tell me there's really a BPA at that round.....

Especially when we keep hearing how it's a crapshoot and all those excuses....

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:22 PM
  #58
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,746
vCash: 500
You'll rarely get a steal from the CHL. The mid to late round gems are more often found lately in Europe, the USHL, tier-2 leagues, HS etc... Places less heavily scouted ,where it's harder to evaluate the quality of the competition, etc...

Erik Estrada is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:22 PM
  #59
Gustave
Registered User
 
Gustave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Here
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Unbearable. Bogus coverage, no pertinent info on players, even the Q players. He knows nothing about the players/drafties, and I don't know if he knows five players from every NHL team. Basically, Therrien's a tool.

And the "Foutaise" comment by Gélinas left a foul taste in my mouth. Next time, do your job, get the interviews and end it there. No need to bash the team in a draft when you have no idea how thepicks will turn out.

I despise that channel. They fail.

Gustave is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:23 PM
  #60
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
At the very least, we should have had pick a Q guy with the last pick.....don't tell me there's really a BPA at that round.....

Especially when we keep hearing how it's a crapshoot and all those excuses....
Have you ever thought that at late seven round ther isn't a Q player around that have the slightest chance to make the NHL one day?

Mustafa* is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:24 PM
  #61
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
Unbearable. Bogus coverage, no pertinent info on players, even the Q players. He knows nothing about the players/drafties, and I don't know if he knows five players from every NHL team. Basically, Therrien's a tool.

And the "Foutaise" comment by Gélinas left a foul taste in my mouth. Next time, do your job, get the interviews and end it there. No need to bash the team in a draft when you have no idea how thepicks will turn out.

I despise that channel. They fail.
All this is soooo non-professionnal, we will haer about it all summer long.

Mustafa* is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:24 PM
  #62
Montrealer
Registered User
 
Montrealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chambly QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
At the very least, we should have had pick a Q guy with the last pick.....don't tell me there's really a BPA at that round.....

Especially when we keep hearing how it's a crapshoot and all those excuses....
Some teams don't give a **** and draft John Q. Popular in the last round because they want to catch a flight home.

Some teams draft Henrik Zetterberg in the 7th round.

Which do you prefer? Honestly, this is going beyond whining and into the idiocy zone.

Montrealer is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:26 PM
  #63
Turbo
Registered User
 
Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greys section 325
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
Yes. Yes, he is.

Turbo is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:28 PM
  #64
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,746
vCash: 500
Give me an M, M! Give me an O, O!...

Erik Estrada is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:33 PM
  #65
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
Some teams don't give a **** and draft John Q. Popular in the last round because they want to catch a flight home.

Some teams draft Henrik Zetterberg in the 7th round.

Which do you prefer? Honestly, this is going beyond whining and into the idiocy zone.
The idiocy zone starts with people who insults others and have no ****ing idea what they are talking about. I had the privilege in watching a lot of Q games, A LOT. So I was obviously pulling for guys that I thought deserved a chance with us. My team is the Habs, league that I watched the most is the Q. Contrary to a lot of people in here, I try to talk about something I know.

How do you think that our 2 Q scouts feel right now. They are pissed off 'cause they did try to sell their guys and it wasn't considered. So I'm dissapointed like they probably are.

What's the problem with that?

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:33 PM
  #66
Booba
Fier, ému and proud
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chez Moi
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,322
vCash: 500
Gaston Therrien: "Peut-etre que je connais pas le hockey, je veux bien l'admettre"

10 minutes ago

Booba is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:34 PM
  #67
Gustave
Registered User
 
Gustave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Here
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 3,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
All this is soooo non-professionnal, we will haer about it all summer long.
What was known as reporting journalism as turned into emotion ridden commenting. It's basically the opposite nowadays.

We get more thought out reports on this internet board. Sad.

Gustave is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:36 PM
  #68
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Have you ever thought that at late seven round ther isn't a Q player around that have the slightest chance to make the NHL one day?
Sure like Johnson might never will. To my knowledge, a guy like Tousignant was at least as good as Johnson.

And since I've seen Tousignant or Knotek play more than Johnson, I was pulling for them.

I know it's a trend that a lot of people don't know around here, but I prefer to talk about something I personnally witness and try not to take somebody else's word for granted. Can't always do that, but I do the best I can.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:37 PM
  #69
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
The CHL needs to be abolished and replaced by a Canadian Collegiate system where we can then start pumping money into the Elementary schools to support ice hockey for kids, but thats an argument for another day.

Makes me wonder how many year it'll be until kids from Madison, Wisconsin outnumber kids from Laval in terms of draftees...

Lone Rogue is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:41 PM
  #70
Garo
Registered User
 
Garo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montréal
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
How do you think that our 2 Q scouts feel right now. They are pissed off 'cause they did try to sell their guys and it wasn't considered. So I'm dissapointed like they probably are.
I read last year that they told Timmins it was a pretty poor class, hasn't been confirmed of course but it makes sense.

Could it be possible that the same happened this year, and the probable picks were just picked ahead of us? Could be.

Garo is online now  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:43 PM
  #71
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Makes me wonder how many year it'll be until kids from Madison, Wisconsin outnumber kids from Laval in terms of draftees...
I don't think you'll have anything to worry about anytime soon. Madison (nor the state of Wisconsin) producers more players than Minnesota, Massachusetts or Michigan. Now how many U of Wisconsin-bound players? That's a different story.

BTW, here's some food for thought:

The area of the US that you should be worried about is California. There were a boatload of players born and/or raised in the Golden State that were taken in this draft...and a good portion of them play/played in Western Canada either in the Dub or the BCHL.

Oilers Chick is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:43 PM
  #72
tiredman
Registered User
 
tiredman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ville de Québec
Country:
Posts: 4,975
vCash: 500
Let's be honest here, everyone is bashing RDS for their homerism about quebecois... but can someone explain me why does the montreal canadiens, the only team in a francophone province, are, year after year, the team with the most quebecois francophone on their team ? It's because the team actually do care about the nationalities of their players [for various reasons].

Yet, I rarely see the same people bashing their favourite team about this or even talking about this fact... but they are the first to spit on RDS for talking about nationalities of players in the draft.

I've listenned Gaston Therrien today... and I must agree that he didn't have much to say. He didn't know 99% of the players drafted... his performance was mediocre.

Though, I think there are many people on these boards who didn't even listen to him... His message was essentially "i don't know the player they drafted. we'll give the chance to trevor timmins. i know the team must draft the BPA. but it would be good to see the habs drafting some quebecois too" and i personnally see no reason to hate him for that. it only showed how unprofessional he was to not know anything about anyone.

tiredman is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:45 PM
  #73
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
I read last year that they told Timmins it was a pretty poor class, hasn't been confirmed of course but it makes sense.

Could it be possible that the same happened this year, and the probable picks were just picked ahead of us? Could be.
Sure. And you know what? That's exactly what Timmins said on RDS. That players he wanted from the Q were ALL picked ahead of his pick.
So were everybody wrong when they were seeing that Timmins don't care about where the players are from?

From his own words, he wanted Q players but they were all gone....

Having said that....tons of Q players ended up elsewhere after we had pick somebody.

But he also stated clearly in that interview that the American development program is quite great and that he respects it a lot. That the pool of prospects is greater in those leagues. So let's get use to it. It will be where we'll end up selecting our players as long as he's amongst us.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:48 PM
  #74
Ledevin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The idiocy zone starts with people who insults others and have no ****ing idea what they are talking about. I had the privilege in watching a lot of Q games, A LOT. So I was obviously pulling for guys that I thought deserved a chance with us. My team is the Habs, league that I watched the most is the Q. Contrary to a lot of people in here, I try to talk about something I know.

How do you think that our 2 Q scouts feel right now. They are pissed off 'cause they did try to sell their guys and it wasn't considered. So I'm dissapointed like they probably are.

What's the problem with that?
+1
Spot on.

Ledevin is offline  
Old
06-21-2008, 02:53 PM
  #75
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
Unbearable. Bogus coverage, no pertinent info on players, even the Q players. He knows nothing about the players/drafties, and I don't know if he knows five players from every NHL team. Basically, Therrien's a tool.

And the "Foutaise" comment by Gélinas left a foul taste in my mouth. Next time, do your job, get the interviews and end it there. No need to bash the team in a draft when you have no idea how thepicks will turn out.

I despise that channel. They fail.
Well Therrien does what they ask of him. He's not a journalist and doesn't go around the World to learn to see who are these young men. He's former coach with some hockey knowledge, sits on a chair and give us his opinion. It probably goes like this:"would you be interested in covering the draft this weekend?". And he says yes. And that's it.

Gélinas though... this "foutaise" comment that's what make me sick. Instead of just reporting the news these guys have to give their opinion. I wish their boss would tell them that what they're doing is not writing a column.

Kimota is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.