HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reason for all the American picks?

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2008, 01:55 PM
CanadienErrant*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Sure. And you know what? That's exactly what Timmins said on RDS. That players he wanted from the Q were ALL picked ahead of his pick.
So were everybody wrong when they were seeing that Timmins don't care about where the players are from?

From his own words, he wanted Q players but they were all gone....

Having said that....tons of Q players ended up elsewhere after we had pick somebody.

But he also stated clearly in that interview that the American development program is quite great and that he respects it a lot. That the pool of prospects is greater in those leagues. So let's get use to it. It will be where we'll end up selecting our players as long as he's amongst us.
'They were all gone..." Great excuses again...

Old
06-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
The idiocy zone starts with people who insults others and have no ****ing idea what they are talking about. I had the privilege in watching a lot of Q games, A LOT. So I was obviously pulling for guys that I thought deserved a chance with us. My team is the Habs, league that I watched the most is the Q. Contrary to a lot of people in here, I try to talk about something I know.

How do you think that our 2 Q scouts feel right now. They are pissed off 'cause they did try to sell their guys and it wasn't considered. So I'm dissapointed like they probably are.

What's the problem with that?
Well what if these two scouts are incompetent? Not everybody can judge and evaluate talent well. And one these two guys is a freakin former referee.

Old
06-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethirakith View Post
Not that we must, but that that's a TREMENDOUS advantage.
Absolutely. Which means, in fact, that where the players are from, is quite important despite everybody trying to convince us it's not.....

Let just say it and move on.

"We prefer the American system 'cause of the way it's build and the fact that we have a longer period of time to evaluate them and we don't believe in the way the Q develops their players"

Thank you.

Old
06-21-2008, 01:59 PM
znk

Quote:
The idiocy zone starts with people who insults others and have no ****ing idea what they are talking about. I had the privilege in watching a lot of Q games, A LOT. So I was obviously pulling for guys that I thought deserved a chance with us. My team is the Habs, league that I watched the most is the Q. Contrary to a lot of people in here, I try to talk about something I know.

How do you think that our 2 Q scouts feel right now. They are pissed off 'cause they did try to sell their guys and it wasn't considered. So I'm dissapointed like they probably are.

What's the problem with that?
I dont mind that. And this thread shouldnt be about that. It should be about Gaston Therrien. I would expect a little profesionalism from a guy paid by a sports station. But most of his comments during the draft were as bad if not worst then the worst ones we saw on this board.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Teufelsdreck

Therrien and the others of his genre would reject the 2008 Detroit Red Wings as being unfit to play for la ville grande. Those chauvinist eunuchs actually make me partial to les étrangers. I would love to have a great player from the Q if one turns up but I was thrilled to hear the names McDonagh and Pacioretty called out last year just because it enrages them. Now that I know more about those two, it seems that Timmins made excellent choices regardless of their origin.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 06-21-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old
06-21-2008, 02:01 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

if the trend continue in 2009 we will draft....

with all the ncaa bound players we draft in the last couples years and now we know the french media will be all over timmins to draft a quebecois in the draft here my projection for next year draft (just for fun here )

from omaha of the ushl and harvard recruit the montreal canadiens are proud to select Louis Leblanc

Old
06-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I dont mind that. And this thread shouldnt be about that. It should be about Gaston Therrien. I would expect a little profesionalism from a guy paid by a sports station. But most of his comments during the draft were as bad if not worst then the worst ones we saw on this board.
Totally agree with you. Though he did say after his remarks that we should give Timmins the benefit of the doubt. Looked quite dumb to me 'cause he looked totally pissed and then 2 seconds after.....let's respect that decision......but then what a disgrace.......but then Timmins has to know what he's doing.....and so on...

Old
06-21-2008, 02:02 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Is he supposed to go 30th overall?

Old
06-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Is where a player is from really that important? If a player on the Habs scores an OT goal in the Stanley Cup Final and he's not from Quebec, does that really bother people? I guess I don't understand the whole obsession since I'm an English speaking Habs fan in New Brunswick but it all seems foolish to me.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Khabby

I don't get it.. I don't ever care if the Mooseheads dont get local players, or if MOntreal doesn't draft any Halifaxians.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
with all the ncaa bound players we draft in the last couples years and now we know the french media will be all over timmins to draft a quebecois in the draft here my projection for next year draft (just for fun here )

from omaha of the ushl and harvard recruit the montreal canadiens are proud to select Louis Leblanc
I think they are targetting him.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Is where a player is from really that important? If a player on the Habs scores an OT goal in the Stanley Cup Final and he's not from Quebec, does that really bother people? I guess I don't understand the whole obsession since I'm an English speaking Habs fan in New Brunswick but it all seems foolish to me.
I'm french and from Quebec and I don't understand it. I hope that we get less and less frenchman playing on the team, just to piss off these stupid racist fans.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Sure. And you know what? That's exactly what Timmins said on RDS. That players he wanted from the Q were ALL picked ahead of his pick.
So were everybody wrong when they were seeing that Timmins don't care about where the players are from?

From his own words, he wanted Q players but they were all gone....

Having said that....tons of Q players ended up elsewhere after we had pick somebody.
But he also stated clearly in that interview that the American development program is quite great and that he respects it a lot. That the pool of prospects is greater in those leagues. So let's get use to it. It will be where we'll end up selecting our players as long as he's amongst us.
Not this year. The first round was barren of Q players. Ironically, The Habs did get a player from the Q with their first pick.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:07 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
personnaly i dont care but i would still like to have more quebecer kid in our prospect pool but timmins know whats he's doing.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:08 PM
znk

Quote:
Apparently it's the most important thing. The first reply by some of our "fellow" "fans" is to comment about the players nationality. Right there you have proof that this is their soul focus.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:09 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Are you serious ?

So the Q players are BPA for other teams but not the Habs ? Weird !
Your methodology is flawed. You lump together lots of other teams in your own mind.

Look at it this way. The Habs generally pick about one Quebec player per year. That's 15% of the Habs picks. Across the league, the Quebec players represent 5% of the draft choices.

Thus the Habs take about 3 TIMES the normal amount of Quebec players.

It's probably very hard to do better than three times normal without resorting to picking clearly inferior players just because they are from Quebec.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Well Therrien does what they ask of him. He's not a journalist and doesn't go around the World to learn to see who are these young men. He's former coach with some hockey knowledge, sits on a chair and give us his opinion. It probably goes like this:"would you be interested in covering the draft this weekend?". And he says yes. And that's it.

Gélinas though... this "foutaise" comment that's what make me sick. Instead of just reporting the news these guys have to give their opinion. I wish their boss would tell them that what they're doing is not writing a column.

I do understand the Therrien "role" if you will. However, RIS could at least try to produce coverage of the draft with a minimum of knowledge towards what you are covering. I think it's the point of the exercise, and they failed miserably at doing so.

Concerning the Foutaise thing: Yup, beyond insulting because he has no idea what actually happened on the draft table. The comment wasn't maid in the confines of an editorial column, which tells me that he doesn't know the boundaries of his job. That's why I am inclined to think he's a very bad reporter.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:12 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Excellent point... using the old cliche, if you are a true Habs fan you cheer for the emblem on the front of the jersey, not the names on the back of them.

For example our university team here in Thunder Bay (Lakehead University) has quite a few local guys on the team and it's nice to have some on it, but at the end of the day the team's success is more important then the amount of guys from town who are on it. The national championships will be in town the next 2 years and the team has done many recruiting with lots of out of town players coming in, everyone in the city would rather have a championship with the most talented players instead of just making up a team with less talented players just because they are from town.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
personnaly i dont care but i would still like to have more quebecer kid in our prospect pool but timmins know whats he's doing.
Why would you want more Quebecers? Why does it matter?

Old
06-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I'm french and from Quebec and I don't understand it. I hope that we get less and less frenchman playing on the team, just to piss off these stupid racist fans.
Shabutie......you do get it, you just don't agree with it. Probably 'cause of the history we have with French players. 'Cause we usually had more quebecers in the lineup than any other team out there. It's part of the history and some people wish it should remain the same.

Some think it doesn't matter.

So be it. Contrary to others, I'm not going to insult you or anybody else that thinks it's not important even the intelligent ones who thinks that some would like francos even if it means losing and finishing last....

I kinda "scout" the Q and will ALWAYS push for my team to go sometimes for some players from this league.

While I did like Deschamps, Sauvé and Cormier, I did was pushing real hard for Adam and Allen as well. So in my case, it can't be about french vs english.....

Old
06-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Its only important to a select few.
it's sad really.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Mustafa*

I mean Q players were drafted by other teams, they will have their shot in the NHL, i dont see a problem here, i'm Québécois, i realy like Quebec player, i folow their careers, i hope they are succesful, but im a fan of Montreal and since three years they have been winning and it's all i ask from them. Montreal is not the NHL it's just a team amongst 30, other team will pick them if they are good enough, with the parity they have no other option than going for the BPA and they have been more than successful at doing it.

Old
06-21-2008, 02:15 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
At the very least, we should have had pick a Q guy with the last pick.....don't tell me there's really a BPA at that round.....

Especially when we keep hearing how it's a crapshoot and all those excuses....
The Habs do better than that, actually. AFTER the draft is over, almost every year the Habs sign some Quebec talent that they could have taken in the 7th round, but instead can get "for free". Examples just last year include Desharnais and Beauregard.

Should the Habs have taken a Desharnais-type player in 2005 instead of Sergei Kostitsyn in the 7th round?

Old
06-21-2008, 02:19 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Why would you want more Quebecers? Why does it matter?
look at the number of francophones for the canadiens every year... we are first every year since the nords left. that's not a simple coincidence.

now, have you ever wondered why it's like that ?

Old
06-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Mustafa*

If the Habs were to pick Q players over others everytime imagine the handicap Montreal would have compared to the other teams.

Closed Thread