HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hossa Declines Pens Offer

Old
06-21-2008, 02:58 PM
ZugNugget

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
very true, in the end i think he goes back to Pitt, but its funny how greedy some people can be. Pitt gave up plenty to bring him in, he got a chance to make a real cup run, and hes still concerned about a few more bucks??
If you knew that a competitor was going to offer you $100 000/year salary for a job, and your current boss tells you that he can only afford to pay you $70 000/year, but promises that you would do good work there and work with top people in your field...

Can you honestly say that you would stay?

ZugNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Apparently decent money and playing on a great team isn't good enough for Hossa.

He probably hates Therrien, though.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:00 PM
SkullSplitter

Yeah Hossa isn't going to Montreal.

I'd like him to go to Vancouver or somewhere out west. Hossa makes Boston look very good come next year.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:00 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminated View Post
Essentially you're saying teams that make the playoffs are not good teams.
Well, a Cup contending team. I suppose all 16 playoff teams are technically "Cup contenders", but you usually only would bet on half of them, Boston not being one of those.

TravisUlrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:01 PM
detredWINgs

Jeez are you guys still stuck in pre-cap world or something? Pens fans are being awfully hypocritical here. You guys were the 2nd worst team TWO years ago. Tampa Bay wins the cup and is in the dumpster 4 years later. The Oilers make it to the finals, then drop to 12th place a year later. The Flyers went from the worst team in the East to the 2nd best Eastern team in the playoffs within one off-season.

The new NHL is made so that almost any team has a chance to be a contender every year. Get off your high horses. So what if he goes to Boston? They have great young improving players that could carry their team to the Eastern conference finals in just 2 years. What about Columbus? A few moves and they could climb right up the board.

The only teams that "arent potential cup winners" are those that are holding onto terrible management teams. That leaves a good 20-25 options open for Hossa.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
Yeah Hossa isn't going to Montreal.

I'd like him to go to Vancouver or somewhere out west. Hossa makes Boston look very good come next year.
No offense to boston but they got many holes in their lineup, mostly on D (even if Chara is a great defenseman, he can't do all the job alone).

Hossa would make them a good team but not a cup contender in my opionion. While Pittsburgh with Hossa is a cup contender.

Would be nice to see Montreal vs Pittsburgh eastern conference finale next year

And the real question is does Hossa want to play for a defensive mind team? Claude Julien is a great coach but he s heavily defensive mind.

Last edited by Cyrrus147: 06-21-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
If you knew that a competitor was going to offer you $100 000/year salary for a job, and your current boss tells you that he can only afford to pay you $70 000/year, but promises that you would do good work there and work with top people in your field...

Can you honestly say that you would stay?
Also, working for the boss who could only pay you $70,000 meant you had a better chance at achieving the ultimate goal in your field. Or how about this: Steve Jobs offers you 70k to help create the iPod and Bill Gates offers you 100K to help create the Zune.

TravisUlrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
habs_24x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Ehh, no.

From a financial standpoint it was a complete success.
he gave up 3 players and a 1st for basically a Eastern Conference trophy...good for him. As for financially, i doubt Hossa took you guys to the finals all by himself. no other team was close to the Pens in the east anyways so the money part would of still happened.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:06 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Apparently decent money and playing on a great team isn't good enough for Hossa.

He probably hates Therrien, though.

Yes, everyone hates Therrien.

The guy has every right to test free agency. He deserves to know what offers are out there before he signs a contract.

Old
06-21-2008, 03:08 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
he gave up 3 players and a 1st for basically a Eastern Conference trophy...good for him. As for financially, i doubt Hossa took you guys to the finals all by himself. no other team was close to the Pens in the east anyways so the money part would of still happened.
Without Hossa, I'm not even sure the Pens would have got past the Rags.

Old
06-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post

Yes, everyone hates Therrien.
Hey could be worse...he could be Mike Keenan.

Old
06-21-2008, 03:10 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Also, working for the boss who could only pay you $70,000 meant you had a better chance at achieving the ultimate goal in your field. Or how about this: Steve Jobs offers you 70k to help create the iPod and Bill Gates offers you 100K to help create the Zune.
I'd take a job with Google. They're the future. Microsoft and Apple are the past.

Old
06-21-2008, 03:17 PM
beastly115

Hossa doesn't want to play for a crappy team. He wants to go to a team that will be competitive for the next few years. He's going to July 1 to see which competitive teams pursue him and how much they're willing to pay. If it's a bunch of ****** teams offering 8-8.5, he'll probably stick with Pitts. If it's top tier teams offering 8, he'll go there instead.

PS. @ pittsburgh fans

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:28 PM
hackNslash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
No offense to boston but they got many holes in their lineup, mostly on D (even if Chara is a great defenseman, he can't do all the job alone).

Hossa would make them a good team but not a cup contender in my opionion. While Pittsburgh with Hossa is a cup contender.

Would be nice to see Montreal vs Pittsburgh eastern conference finale next year

And the real question is does Hossa want to play for a defensive mind team? Claude Julien is a great coach but he s heavily defensive mind.
yeah cause you guys just wiped the floor with us in the playoffs if the Bruins have all of these glaring holes then you guys can't be looking that hot either.

And to all the penguins fans saying why would he choose Boston they sux well you'll see in another year or 2 why Hossa or any other star player would be happy to play there.

Boy how cocky pens fans have gotten it wasn't long ago when you guys were the bottom feeders don't think it can't happen again.

hackNslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Hossa doesn't want to play for a crappy team. He wants to go to a team that will be competitive for the next few years. He's going to July 1 to see which competitive teams pursue him and how much they're willing to pay. If it's a bunch of ****** teams offering 8-8.5, he'll probably stick with Pitts. If it's top tier teams offering 8, he'll go there instead.

PS. @ pittsburgh fans
Exactly, a voice of reason! Thanks!

In addition this may be a message to Hossa specifically, we have discussed all we care to discuss with Mr. Winter, time for you to get involved or sit back for the ride.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfreak72 View Post
yeah cause you guys just wiped the floor with us in the playoffs if the Bruins have all of these glaring holes then you guys can't be looking that hot either.

And to all the penguins fans saying why would he choose Boston they sux well you'll see in another year or 2 why Hossa or any other star player would be happy to play there.

Boy how cocky pens fans have gotten it wasn't long ago when you guys were the bottom feeders don't think it can't happen again.
Anyone can beat anyone in the playoffs, but even if Boston signs Hossa, they still do not have a player as good as Crosby or Malkin.

No one in the east does.

If Hossa is gone I will take a little helping of Jaromir Jagr with Naslund on the side

Old
06-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfreak72 View Post

We were the best offensive team last year, thanks for asking !

Hossa is one of the best offensive forward in the league, do you think he wants to play for a offensive mind team (like Pittsburgh) or for one of the most defensive mind team in the league (Boston)? The answer is obvious to me.

Hey Marian, come play the trap in Boston !

Not sure if Claude Julien knows a other system than the trap

Old
06-21-2008, 03:35 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark144 View Post
If Hossa is gone I will take a little helping of Jaromir Jagr with Naslund on the side
Players well past their prime. Why?

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
Players well past their prime. Why?
yep, and will take shorter deals and will still produce with Crosby and Malkin. Naslund scored 25 goals playing most of the year with muckers and grinders. Jagr was a absolute beast in the playoffs. We dont need them to play like they are in their prime, we have other players to do that. They play above average and we would be deadly.

Old
06-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dandy View Post
To me the door is closed for Hossa to return to Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh offered Hossa what they could and he rejected it. It was a substantial offer, but Pittsburgh is not in any position to up the offer and give Hossa the world like some can.
Agreed with all of that. Pittsburgh was probably offering him somewhere north of $7M on a 4-5 year contract, but when July 1st comes around someone will give him 6-8 years at closer to $10M a year. I don't see Hossa turning that down, even if it comes from a bad team.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
Agreed with all of that. Pittsburgh was probably offering him somewhere north of $7M on a 4-5 year contract, but when July 1st comes around someone will give him 6-8 years at closer to $10M a year. I don't see Hossa turning that down, even if it comes from a bad team.
it was 54M for 7 years, I would say we are still in the running and probably still the favorite.

Old
06-21-2008, 03:42 PM
GetPucksDeep

I think he gets to choose between 8.5 to a contender or 9.5 to a rebuilding team. Those will be the ballpark offers on the table. He goes for no less than 8.25. per.

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:46 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:

Hossa is one of the best offensive forward in the league, do you think he wants to play for a offensive mind team (like Pittsburgh) or for one of the most defensive mind team in the league (Boston)? The answer is obvious to me.

He's also a great defensive forward.

The Pens also play a defensive system. They just have a lot of offensively gifted players.

Old
06-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark144 View Post
it was 54M for 7 years, I would say we are still in the running and probably still the favorite.
If that's true, it's definitely a fair offer for Hossa, but I still think someone will blow that deal out of the water come July 1st. I wouldn't call the Pens favorites to sign Hossa, unless they're willing to significantly raise $54M to somewhere well over $60M. I don't think Hossa would be waiting for July 1st if he wasn't going to take the best offer.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:50 PM
hackNslash

Quote:

What does you having the best offensive team have anything to do with what I said theres way more to the game than offense.

Anyhow Hossa isn't going to care if the team has an uptempo,trap, or country line dancing system as long as the team is heading in the right direction and the money is there, and don't think playing with his close friend and former teammates and manager isnt going to have an effect on his decision.

Most every team in the league plays some kind of trap some more strongly than others so I hardly doubt this will even be a factor Hossa played in Ottawa for all of those years and re-signed to stay with them but they traded him right after hmmmmm doesn't look like a guy that minds playing in a more defensive system to me.

hackNslash is offline   Reply With Quote