HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2008 NHL Draft After-Party- Thoughts, Reactions...

Old
06-21-2008, 01:22 PM
FrankMTL

vCash: 500
The Official 2008 NHL Draft After-Party- Thoughts, Reactions...

Alright, now that the 2008 NHL Entry Draft is over, how does everybody feel?

Was it worth all the build up or the hype?

How do you feel from a Habs perspective?

Get out all your emotions in here!!!

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Unsexy draft that could paid off.

I had predicted that we would have an interest on Kristo and he could become something good.

But we do have 2 big homerun possibilities in Quailer and Trunev.

Missiaen.....I'm just not sure at this moment...

Would have love to see a Q player drafted especially in the 7th round and I'm not even talking about french or not french. Knotek should have been considered. Same for Tousignant. If you had seen Tousignant played and I did see Johnson play, nobody could sell to me that Johnson was the BPA at that rank.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Ross MacLochness

Americans

Just kidding.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:33 PM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

quebecers in the last 3 draft thats just brutal!!! lol

to be honest im not a huge fan of are draft this year!!!!

-kristo should be good but he's 3 to 5 years away and i have no clue where he fit in our futur at rw

-quailer: like the pick, size, skating, long term project i like the pick

-Missaine: LONG term project cant imagine a 6"8 goalie in the nhl

trunev: like the pick, good gamble, love what i read about him (mr bugg) and i trust our russian scout nikolai vakourov

Johnson: see kishel last year!!!!

ps: in one year time this post would be destroy because all those pick would look like steal because timmins is god!!!!

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:38 PM
LyleOdelein

Tanguay!!! Maybe Sundin soon!!!!

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:39 PM
FrankMTL

I agree with Whitesnake...especially on the way it was an "unsexy" draft for us...especially when you compare it to last years draft which I think will be end up being a VERY good one for us. No big names....but potential for a couple of homerun picks. I hope this draft doesn't end up like the last one we didn't have a first round pick...the year we drafted Buturlin with our first pick (2nd round).

Old
06-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Just my quick sum up.

Not high on Kristo, mostly because of his size, but he's so far away that he might grow a little.

Quailer & Trunev, I really like both these picks & are the most likely IMO to make the NHL from this draft.

Missiaen is a big project(no pun) but he supposedly moves really well for someone for his size. Plus anyone from Chatham can't be all that bad.

Johnson, again small, well I won't analyze anyone taken in round 7, but he's "Badger Bob's" grandson anyone related to that guy is OK in my books, but he'll never make it.

All around I give the Habs a C Maybe B-

Last edited by Player 61: 06-21-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:41 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

-Kristo : Awesome pick! Fast skater and Timmins saw something in him. He'll be great.

-Quailer : I have a good vibe on this one. If he was that high on Timmins' list that means he's really good and they feel that he'll be a steal! I heard he's tall, naturally strong, fast, good vision, etc... Excellent choice there!

-Missiaen : Wow! 6 foot 8 goalie. I expect nothing out of this pick, but he's fast and so big and goalies take time to develop. This is a long term project and we never know how good he can become.

-Trunev : Awesome pick again! I think Timmins and our russian scout found a gem there. He's a fast skater with nice hands and lots of potential. Let's hope he develops well and he'll become a top6 player for us.

-Johnsson : *** pick. Too small for the NHL and can't score at his level. I think they had no one left on their list and drafted him because he plays with McDo. I would have taken a chance with a swede, there was a couple of good one left on the board.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

I like our picks in the draft, a couple nice projects who could turn into home runs... but the thing I loved about this draft is Gainey making a statement that we are going for the cup this year. Getting Tanguay without giving up a roster player or a top prospect? Possibly getting Sundin?? Wow, I cannot wait for this season

Andrighetto Fabolous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Habs8517

i was so looking froward to the draft
now i feel like i got beat up bad

our scouts from the Quebec and Canada must really suck if they cant even sell their players

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:47 PM
MM425

Lots of project picks, which makes sense. We've got a deep prospect pool and all these kids are going to have plenty of time to develop.

Even if a couple of years down the road this draft turns out to be a complete bust for the Habs, it won't matter in the big picture.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:35 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

By all means, I surely thought that we would select more centerman and also pickup a goalie - which we did.

I'm not comfortable with this draft...forwards are smallish, but granted very young.

BUT my big question is...who picked Nikita Filatov???

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

After listening to Timmins talk about the picks on habsinsideout.com it makes me more excited about them

Andrighetto Fabolous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Khabby

vCash: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
After listening to Timmins talk about the picks on habsinsideout.com it makes me more excited about them
Will that be avaible in mp3 form to be listened to?

Khabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Seb
Need more Therrien

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Normal draft with long term projects. We're not winners but we're not losers either.

Considering our first pick was a late 2nd round I don't think it was a bad draft.

For all of those who whine about Timmins drafting Americans, GTFO seriously.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:40 PM
mtl_felix

Despite having few picks, im really satisfied of this whole draft (Friday+ Saturday). Kristo + Quailer seem like very solid picks and Trunev is a sleeper pick! Trevor Magic

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I've just listen to Trevor Timmins on RIS and Luc ask him which player he is proud to have pick today. Timmins said without hesitation that it was Maxim Turnev. He think that Turnev will come play in the CHL next year because many teams from the CHL have talk to him for the import draft next week. Timmins want Turnev to have the same devellopement as Sergei Kostitsyn!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Khabby

vCash: 678
Who's starting the 09 draft threaD?

Khabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:51 PM
FrankMTL

If he does come to the CHL...I can't wait to have a look at Trunev...

Old
06-21-2008, 02:56 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
Just my quick sum up.

Not high on Kristo, mostly because of his size, but he's so far away that he might grow a little.

Quailer & Trunev, I really like both these picks & are the most likely IMO to make the NHL from this draft.

Missiaen is a big project(no pun) but he supposedly moves really well for someone for his size. Plus anyone from Chatham can't be all that bad.

Johnson, again small, well I won't analyze anyone taken in round 7, but he's "Badger Bob's" grandson anyone related to that guy is OK in my books, but he'll never make it.

I think there is a new trend. Nine of those small guys were drafted in the first round.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

I believe that Kristo at 56 is a steal. But he's not the pick that has the highest upside. Quailer and Trunev are.

Old
06-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I've just listen to Trevor Timmins on RIS and Luc ask him which player he is proud to have pick today. Timmins said without hesitation that it was Maxim Turnev. He think that Turnev will come play in the CHL next year because many teams from the CHL have talk to him for the import draft next week. Timmins want Turnev to have the same devellopement as Sergei Kostitsyn!
What I love about guys is people who can't back up their argument. Gélias calling "foutaise" Habs strategy and then playing best buddy and laughing with Timmins even saying "Congratulations" in the end.....

I know you probably can't start arguing, especially Gélinas in english, that would be fun.....but at the very least, thank the guy for the time and move on. Don't pretend you liked what he did....

Old
06-21-2008, 03:01 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Ghost View Post
Just my quick sum up.

No way. I would give them maybe a A- at worst and a A at best. Kristo, Quailer, Trunev are absolutely great picks. Missiaen is a project, I don't know if it's a good pick and Johnsson is basically a player that they drafted but will never player for us, I don't know why they drafted him... Maybe is was a way to give a small moral boost to his team and McDo ; and I said a small moral boost. But it might help a little bit down the road.

Old
06-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
No way. I would give them maybe a A- at worst and a A at best. Kristo, Quailer, Trunev are absolutely great picks. Missiaen is a project, I don't know if it's a good pick and Johnsson is basically a player that they drafted but will never player for us, I don't know why they drafted him... Maybe is was a way to give a small moral boost to his team and McDo ; and I said a small moral boost. But it might help a little bit down the road.
I'm less enthusiastic and give them a B+. I see a potential a 3 NHL'ers in there with 2 playing a significant role.

Having said that and since everybody did it yesterday, I would have expected them to try to move up 2 ranks in order to get Cormier who was still there at 54. Missiaen is an interesting project, and Johnson is this year's Kishel with maybe a little more upside.

Let's hope now that Trunev crosses over and plays in the Q. I would be thrilled to follow him this year.

Old
06-21-2008, 03:11 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I'm less enthusiastic and give them a B+. I see a potential a 3 NHL'ers in there with 2 playing a significant role.

Having said that and since everybody did it yesterday, I would have expected them to try to move up 2 ranks in order to get Cormier who was still there at 54. Missiaen is an interesting project, and Johnson is this year's Kishel with maybe a little more upside.

Let's hope now that Trunev crosses over and plays in the Q. I would be thrilled to follow him this year.
On the "drafting" part alone, maybe. But in reality, it's much better. We got Tanguay who's a star player. Also, maybe they tried to move up today, maybe they tried on many occasions. You don't really know what the asking price was, though. Now with our own picks, we took 3 excellent prospects, 1 project and we wasted a 7th round pick. I would call it a great draft. I would have drafted Murphy or a swede on the 7th, there was a couple of great forwards from sweden with some potential that went undrafted.