HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hossa Declines Pens Offer

Old
06-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Audacity

vCash: 500
I still fail to see how Montreal and other fans (specifically MTL) are creaming themselves over this, thinking their team will automatically have Hossa now. It means nothing, just like the previous stories meant nothing, until he signs on the dotted line. I also apologize for the idiotic pens fans on here; the majority of us appreciate what we have.

Audacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:53 PM
kolider

The bitterness coming from Pens fans is laughable. The Pens purposely went out to pick up a pending UFA and are now Pens fans are complaining that he won't immediatley re-sign. Let the man test the market, the Pens obviously are not ponying up the money he/his agent feels is satisfactory.

Although it *seems* to make sense for Hossa to remain in Pittsburgh the reality is he will not be getting market value since Crosby, Malkin et al. are both getting cap-max every season starting next year...

At any rate, Pens fans should be happy they aren't spending 24M+ year on 3 players, we all know how those situations turn out.

kolider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:55 PM
errey21

Question for the board.

Pitt offered 7 years/54 million apparantly, so 7.7 a year if my quick math is right.

9 mill makes him the highest paid player in the game?????

He must want at least 8.5 or 9.5 a year and same term.

What teams right now can honestly do that without moving significant other pieces.

CLBS, NYR, Boston, Vancouver, ???????

errey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:59 PM
SkullSplitter

I'm not bitter.

I expected it, but then got caught up in the rumors about the Pens expecting him to sign.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:03 PM
hackNslash

Quote:
Originally Posted by errey21 View Post
Question for the board.

Pitt offered 7 years/54 million apparantly, so 7.7 a year if my quick math is right.

9 mill makes him the highest paid player in the game?????

He must want at least 8.5 or 9.5 a year and same term.

What teams right now can honestly do that without moving significant other pieces.

CLBS, NYR, Boston, Vancouver, ???????

I don't know about those other team but Boston definatly has to move some salary if they're going after Hossa (I assume they will so I think they'll be big players to get Hossa) but if they don't the Bruins are out of the running.

Boston is up around $48M now and still need to re-sign Wideman,Stuart & Nokelainen with those re-signings they'd probably be up around $53M or more so that wold mean no Hossa money

hackNslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:08 PM
errey21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfreak72 View Post
I don't know about those other team but Boston definatly has to move some salary if they're going after Hossa (I assume they will so I think they'll be big players to get Hossa) but if they don't the Bruins are out of the running.

Boston is up around $48M now and still need to re-sign Wideman,Stuart & Nokelainen with those re-signings they'd probably be up around $53M so that wold mean no Hossa money
Thanks Bruinsfreak.

Im a Columbus fan, so even though we have the funds, I cant imagine a scenario where we get Hossa here????? I guess stranger things.

But Im thinking other teams will position themselves to get Hossa and they will have to unload other decent players to do that and we can get those other players

So until someone else chimes in, am I right that Columbus, Vancouver, and NYR are really the only teams that could just sign Hossa and not have to move anyone???

errey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:08 PM
likea

if a team gives hossa 8-9 million dollars they will regret it. I love Hossa and I am a pens fan so take out of this what you will. he is no where near the top 8-10 players in the league and that is just counting forwards. He doesn't create much by himself so that could be a problem depending on the talent around him. he back checks like no ones business and he shoots the puck a lot tho I was disappointed with how many golden oppertunites he missed playing for the Pens. I would of loved to have him back but not at 8-9 million. If he wants that much I say thanks for everything and good luck.

forwards that should make more than Hossa

Crosby
Malkin
AO
Thornton
Heatley
Zetterburg
Iginla
Datsyuk
Lecavalier
Alfredsson
Kovalchuk

likea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:11 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by errey21 View Post
Thanks Bruinsfreak.

Im a Columbus fan, so even though we have the funds, I cant imagine a scenario where we get Hossa here????? I guess stranger things.

But Im thinking other teams will position themselves to get Hossa and they will have to unload other decent players to do that and we can get those other players

So until someone else chimes in, am I right that Columbus, Vancouver, and NYR are really the only teams that could just sign Hossa and not have to move anyone???
There are other teams that could, but remember not every team will be spending to the cap.

Old
06-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by likea View Post
forwards that should make more than Hossa

Crosby
Malkin
AO
Thornton
Heatley
Zetterburg
Iginla
Datsyuk
Lecavalier
Alfredsson
Kovalchuk
There's a reason Hossa will make just as much if not more than all of those players. None of those players have ever been UFAs and the chance to get an UFA as good as Hossa comes around once every 4-5 years if you're lucky. That's all the reason a team needs to overpay for him. I mean, $7.1M for Drury or $9M for Hossa? Easy choice there.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Macke*

I know everyone is saying he'll get 8-9 million plus.... I just don't see it.

I see 7-7.75 million.. with the first year of his deal being front loaded to 10 million or something.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:19 PM
likea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
There's a reason Hossa will make just as much if not more than all of those players. None of those players have ever been UFAs and the chance to get an UFA as good as Hossa comes around once every 4-5 years if you're lucky. That's all the reason a team needs to overpay for him. I mean, $7.1M for Drury or $9M for Hossa? Easy choice there.
oh i understand why he is going to get that kind of money but it doesn't mean he is worth it. that will be the mistake of the team signing him to that kind of contract and i'll be happy about that mistake. just like I was happy when drury, briere and Gomez were signed to huge dumb deals. It hurts the teams that signs them.

lets take the NFL for example

all the good teams year after year find a price for FA's and don't go over what they are worth. The Pats, Steelers, Colts all decide a good price and if its not met they allow their players to walk and re-load because they don't want the cap problems that come with giving players more money than they are worth.

I find it funny when people worry about the Pens and their cap situation when they are playing 8.7 and 8. ?? (Malkin) for 2 of the top 3 players in the game today.

The Rangers are paying 7.3 and 7 for 2 players who scored 58 and 73 points.

Phillys paying 6.5 for a guy that scored in the 70's.
I have to give credit to Philly, the Richards deal is just sick, great great deal if he continues to produce.

Last edited by likea: 06-21-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old
06-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post

I see 7-7.75 million.. with the first year of his deal being front loaded to 10 million or something.
The cap is increasing a lot this summer apparently ... by $6 million at least it sounds like.

$9 million is pretty much in the bag for Hossa if he really wants that.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:23 PM
frag2

Quote:

Says who? If Drury and Briere can get 7+, how can Hossa not? He's way better than eitehr of the 2 anyways.

I still dont understand how Pens fans believe he will return. Most of us were saying Hossa was saying all the right things as a UFA and it was expected. But noooooooooo, most of the Pens fans lashed at us and said we were jealous and stuff. Then comes stuff about Malone getting lowballed and someone (probablly from Pittburgh) saying they were closed to signing Hossa with the money freed. NOW, its Hossa saying he wants to test the market....and the Pens come in denial all about it, saying he will likely end up as a Pen still.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

Hossa to Phoenix?

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:26 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
If you knew that a competitor was going to offer you $100 000/year salary for a job, and your current boss tells you that he can only afford to pay you $70 000/year, but promises that you would do good work there and work with top people in your field...

Can you honestly say that you would stay?
No, but let me explain why this example is flawed...

100,000 a year instead of 70,000 could represent a change in lifestyle, nicer car, a pool, more vactions to better place...

but when your talking 7.5 million to stay instead of 8.5-9 somewhere else, there is no change in lifestyle based on salary... also, being a cup winner provides other opportunities as well if money is your motivation.

So if you ask me if I'd rather make 7.5 mill and win a cup, or 9 mill and never get my name on hockeys most prize piece of hardware, i take the 7.5 mill

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

Good for Hossa. He owes this to himself, but if he never gets back to the SCF, he can just look at that Pens # 18 and think about it.

And remember .... if you ain't with the Pens, you are against us and you will get the Jagr treatment

And for everyone else, if Hossa doesn't come to Pittsburgh, guess who now has appeal and some money to snatch a FEW of those guys who you thought you could get and still keep Staal, Malkin, Orpik, and Fleury.

The notice of our demise has been extremely exaggerated NHL.

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:27 PM
st5801

Quote:

There's no way. Once he's on the open market the bids for him will exceed $8 million easily. $8.25 for 7 years will probably get the deal done.

And on a side note, any Pens fans who are surprised he didn't take the 7 year $50 million deal, are naive.

st5801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:28 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
oh i understand why he is going to get that kind of money but it doesn't mean he is worth it. that will be the mistake of the team signing him to that kind of contract and i'll be happy about that mistake. just like I was happy when drury, briere and Gomez were signed to huge dumb deals. It hurts the teams that signs them.

lets take the NFL for example

all the good teams year after year find a price for FA's and don't go over what they are worth. The Pats, Steelers, Colts all decide a good price and if its not met they allow their players to walk and re-load because they don't want the cap problems that come with giving players more money than they are worth.

I find it funny when people worry about the Pens and their cap situation when they are playing 8.7 and 8. ?? (Malkin) for 2 of the top 3 players in the game today.

The Rangers are paying 7.3 and 7 for 2 players who scored 58 and 73 points.

Phillys paying 6.5 for a guy that scored in the 70's.
I have to give credit to Philly, the Richards deal is just sick, great great deal if he continues to produce.
Big difference is Hossa is better than all 3 of those guys and has proved it. 100 pt 2 way players dont grow on trees.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:28 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Says who? If Drury and Briere can get 7+, how can Hossa not? He's way better than eitehr of the 2 anyways.

I still dont understand how Pens fans believe he will return. Most of us were saying Hossa was saying all the right things as a UFA and it was expected. But noooooooooo, most of the Pens fans lashed at us and said we were jealous and stuff. Then comes stuff about Malone getting lowballed and someone (probablly from Pittburgh) saying they were closed to signing Hossa with the money freed. NOW, its Hossa saying he wants to test the market....and the Pens come in denial all about it, saying he will likely end up as a Pen still.
Most Pens fans posts I've read seem to sound the opposite tune. I don't sense a lot of denial on the front of Pens fans. Stop putting words in our mouths.

Old
06-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Picklepete

Send a message via AIM to Picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros View Post
Good. The fewer stars in Pittsburgh, the better.

Yep..cause we dont wanna hurt star Crosby's ego !

Picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:32 PM
emb24*

if habs can't sign sundin by july 1st, they will toss the 8+ million hossa's way. bet on it

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:33 PM
likea

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Big difference is Hossa is better than all 3 of those guys and has proved it. 100 pt 2 way players dont grow on trees.
he had 100 points in 1 year!!! 92 in another then his next highest is 82.

He had 66 points this year...

I'm not saying i don't want him as a Pen. I would take him for 7 or 7.5 but I would decline his offer at 8 or 9.

He is a great 2 way player but i would put a value on him and stick to it in a cap world. If he doesn't sign with the Pens for 7-7.5, I hope he signs with an Eastern conference team for 9-10 million.

Old
06-21-2008, 04:33 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
This arguement is flawed as well, your not taking into consideration the need of the team.

If I have Kovalchuk on my team I am not going to pay Hossa 9 mill to come play, I may pay chris drury 7 mill though,
Just as if I have chris drury and scott gomez, I'm not paying 7-8 mill for mats sundin, I will pay 7-8 mill for Hossa though.

The Pens are counting on other teams to see Hossa for what he is, a finishing piece. I'm sorry, but Hossa is not a guy to build a franchise around. I wouldn't be surprised if he only recieves offers from cup contenders??? what team wants to be atlanta and have 50+ goal scorers but go nowhere?

Last edited by DubiDubiDoo: 06-21-2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: my point is he goes back to the pens or hes an idiot
DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:34 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Well, a Cup contending team. I suppose all 16 playoff teams are technically "Cup contenders", but you usually only would bet on half of them, Boston not being one of those.
If hossa signs with boston and with bergeron back they wil be just as much a "cup contender" as cindy and her teamates.

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
I don't disagree about your overall premise, as Gomez, Drury, and Briere aren't worth overpaying for. However, I'd say that for players of Hossa's caliber, smart teams will be willing to overpay. Overpaying for a player isn't always the wrong move if you overpay for the right player. I think GMs will agree that Hossa's the right kind of player to overpay.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote