HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Gainey going all-in for the century year ?

Old
06-21-2008, 05:28 PM
SpreeEndaz

vCash: 500
Is Gainey going all-in for the century year ?

As you all know, we got Tanguay for this season, this is a good move adding a lot of talent upfront. Also, he got exclusive rights on Sundin, which is also great news. Nevertheless, I would like to know if you guys think that Gainey is considering the post-century year.

After the next season, based on the current contracts, only 5 valid contracts will still be active. Granted, A. Kostitsyn and Gorges' contracts will most likely be multi-years. The part that bothers me is that a lot of players will be RFA and even UFA, the most notables being Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay and Komisarek. Knowing Gainey, he'll be patient and try to negotiate with all of them once the season is done.

I might be thinking too far ahead but for now, I see a problem coming fast with so many veterans and core players being FA all at the same time.

Here's what the contracts look like for now:

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...TL&season=0809

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 05:31 PM
ti-vite

the same can be said for most teams.

Patience.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 05:33 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
the same can be said for most teams.

Patience.

For real ? I might be ignoring some teams' situations but is there one team that 5 of their top 6 forwards contracts (AKost's situation being uncertain) expire at the same time, not mentioning Komisarek who'll be in BIG demand on the market ?

Old
06-21-2008, 05:39 PM
PricePkPatch

I agree with you, but I think that how the NHL now is. A team has to make a 1-year bid for the cup once and then to be a serious contender (bar the occasionnal lucky teams, like ours in 2008). That serious 1-year bid if often at the cost of the following year. Just see the number of Stanley Cup contender/winner who feel into mediocrity in the following years - until they rebuild from their bid.

We have to preserve our record of at least 1 cup/decenny, and the century year has too much signification to pass over. Our actual team is also ripe for success, since I am sure that most kids in our team grew a lot after their heartbreaking defeat at Philly's hand. We simply needed the icing on the cake to be a serious contender.

On the other hand, maybe we'll be lucky, and our team won't fall in mediocrity after next year. Anything's possible. the Red Wings sure managed to stay above average on the long term.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 05:42 PM
MonacoBlue

Well, Koivu and Kovalev will probably make around the same on their next contract if they choose to stay with the Habs. Perhaps Koivu specifically will take a paycut for the good of the team. I'm not sure if Tanguay will choose to stay for a similar salary but he did waive his NTC. Hopefully the Habs will win the Cup and he'll decide to sign with the team again.

Komisarek will definitely get a raise but that will be compensated by the fact that Kostopoulos, Bouillon, Dandenault and Begin's contracts will have expired and replaced by fresh prospects such as Pacioretty, White and whichever of our many dmen prospects develops the best.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 05:42 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
For real ? I might be ignoring some teams' situations but is there one team that 5 of their top 6 forwards contracts (AKost's situation being uncertain) expire at the same time, not mentioning Komisarek who'll be in BIG demand on the market ?
First one I looked at: Anahiem (alphabetical)
have 7 forwards as UFA and another 5 UFA defense
next season , soit 2009-2010.

Boston: have both goalies, Kreji, Alberts, ******** and other UFA

Buffalo: Kotalik, Afinogenov, Connoly, Spacek, MILLER ARE UFA 209-2010

Chicago: my lord, lots of pending people.

and on and on.... you worry too much.

Old
06-21-2008, 05:45 PM
znk

Quote:
As you all know, we got Tanguay for this season, this is a good move adding a lot of talent upfront. Also, he got exclusive rights on Sundin, which is also great news. Nevertheless, I would like to know if you guys think that Gainey is considering the post-century year.

After the next season, based on the current contracts, only 5 valid contracts will still be active. Granted, A. Kostitsyn and Gorges' contracts will most likely be multi-years. The part that bothers me is that a lot of players will be RFA and even UFA, the most notables being Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay and Komisarek. Knowing Gainey, he'll be patient and try to negotiate with all of them once the season is done.

I might be thinking too far ahead but for now, I see a problem coming fast with so many veterans and core players being FA all at the same time.

Here's what the contracts look like for now:

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...TL&season=0809
We will lose veterans through attrition. But we are ready for that and it's part of the plan.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 05:49 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
We will lose veterans through attrition. But we are ready for that and it's part of the plan.
We will loose veterans to an electronic music band?

Old
06-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Let's not forget Smolinski and Ryder free up 4.9M on the cap. Chipchura will most likely take Smolinski spot, and he's a 860k cap hit.

Then next year Bouillon and Dandy are up and free about 3.8M in cap space. Carle or Valentenko will step in for about 1M!

Let's not forget Price wich contract will be up 1 year later. He will command at least 5M by then.

That's why a guy like Sundin for 1 year at 8M makes perfect sense. A guy like Hossa on a long term contract would damage our flexibility and depth.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 05:55 PM
kostitsyn1489

We lose one guy we have 2 possible guy stepping into his role and I'm not kidding.

The thing is, we could prolly trade 6 prospects and 4 drafts pick for 2-3 Rental(I know it wont happen) at the deadline and we'd still have some potential guy stepping in for next season.

I doubt at this point it'd be possible to really screw the team up for short term stuff.Hell even if we'd have all our UFA going after next season i beleive we would be fairly competitive with guys like pleky higgins kostys pacci maxwell white up front and guys like valentenko weber subban carle potentially filling in for 09-10.

We have too much talent waiting on the side to be a mediocre team any time soon.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 05:56 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Let's not forget Price wich contract will be up 1 year later. He will command at least 5M by then.
If he shows up and prove that he learnt from the playoffs. Other than that, I'd only give him a short-term contract until he prooves that he is a franchise long-term goalie.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:01 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
First one I looked at: Anahiem (alphabetical)
have 7 forwards as UFA and another 5 UFA defense
next season , soit 2009-2010.

Boston: have both goalies, Kreji, Alberts, ******** and other UFA

Buffalo: Kotalik, Afinogenov, Connoly, Spacek, MILLER ARE UFA 209-2010

Chicago: my lord, lots of pending people.

and on and on.... you worry too much.
Once again, you intervention is a sophism; I asked you which team will lose their offensive core and one of the best defensemen in the league all at the same itme. I checked the first team on your list and Anaheim will have Perry and Getzlaf locked for long when the end of the next season arrives and they are not done shopping this summer when the Habs already has most their top 6 locked for next season.

Old
06-21-2008, 06:04 PM
znk

Quote:
Once again, you intervention is a sophism; I asked you which team will lose their offensive core and one of the best defensemen in the league all at the same itme. I checked the first team on your list and Anaheim will have Perry and Getzlaf locked for long when the end of the next season arrives and they are not done shopping this summer when the Habs already has most their top 6 locked for next season.
You honestly expect the habs will lose all it's UFA's?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
If he shows up and prove that he learnt from the playoffs. Other than that, I'd only give him a short-term contract until he prooves that he is a franchise long-term goalie.
I don't worry about Price he's the real deal.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:08 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
You honestly expect the habs will lose all it's UFA's?
I'm not saying all of them but we could take major blows like if we rely too much on Tanguay and then he leaves, plus Komisarek whose case would need a lot of attention by Gainey.

Old
06-21-2008, 06:13 PM
anarmandaleb

We win the Cup and the players will be fighting to get resigned. Bob will have to hide from all their agents.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:15 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Outside of Pronger, Schneider-Neidermeyer-Beauchemin-Huskins-Odonnel are all UFA for Anaheim. My argument is not deceptive in the least!

You menitoned core players and veterans. I think all teams have this issue. Also, locking up 2 players does not make a team.

Old
06-21-2008, 06:17 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Outside of Pronger, Schneider-Neidermeyer-Beauchemin-Huskins-Odonnel are all UFA for Anaheim. My argument is not deceptive in the least!
Perry is RFA this year and will be locked for a long time by the end of next year (same situation as Kostitsyn for us) and Getzlaf is also signed long term, plus they will sign some UFAs to fill those top 6 forwards spots left this season so by the end of the year, they won't have the same problem as us. Anyways, I'm looking quickly and most of the teams so far are, in my personal opinion, in less danger of crash and burning than us when it comes to top 6 forwards contracts.

Old
06-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
Yeah, I'm sure the 29 other NHL teams frothing at the mouth at getting a Carey Price will feel the same come RFA time...

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:28 PM
goalchenyuk

No candy from Bettman and the NHL ???

geez ! Habs are 100 years old and bettman is too cheap to offer us a gift ...

He could have at least give us a little something , like the top 3 draft picks ...

Or an extra 10 m$ of cap space for the season , paid by the NHL ...

No , nothing at all ...pffff !

Don't you think that the Habs deserve something ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:29 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
geez ! Habs are 100 years old and bettman is too cheap to offer us a gift ...

He could have at least give us a little something , like the top 3 draft picks ...

Or an extra 10 m$ of cap space for the season , paid by the NHL ...

No , nothing at all ...pffff !

Don't you think that the Habs deserve something ?

Last edited by SpreeEndaz: 06-21-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old
06-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
allstar game and draft were already given to us

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:30 PM
snap-bar

obviously his gift will be when he hands koivu the cup