HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best 3rd Line?

Old
06-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Blue and Blue

vCash: 500
Best 3rd Line?

If Avery is signed:

Avery / Drury / Callahan

The best 3rd line in hockey? 65 Goals and solid / agitating two-way play.

Blue and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Celestial Black

It all depends on who is signed. I think the third line will consist of Dawes/Korp - Drury- Cally unless Drury is obviously moved up due to the loss of many of our players.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:30 PM
mike14

I would have thought that Dawes'll have a shot at the top 2 lines simply cos there's no-one else to put there

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:30 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

I wouldn't go that far but I doubt Avery would play with Drury anyway.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 08:18 PM
ThirdEye

I don't see 65 goals there. Maybe 50 or so (barring an offensive explosion from Callahan or something similar)

It would be a great line though. Drury will be responsible for keeping Avery in check

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:24 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I don't see 65 goals there. Maybe 50 or so (barring an offensive explosion from Callahan or something similar)

It would be a great line though. Drury will be responsible for keeping Avery in check
I think 65 is possible. Put Drury down for 25 goals. Assuming Avery can stay healthy for most of the season I don't see why he doesn't chip in his usual 18, perhaps 20. That leaves 20 for Cally, which might be a bit of a stretch for him...but he should be able to net 15. If he can exceed that, and/or Drury and/or Avery light the lamp a couple more times 65 seems doable. I'd probably bet on 60 goals though.

Drury 25
Avery 19
Cally 16
_______

60 Goals.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:33 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
If you use Drury and Avery on the third line it is too many dollars tied up in the third line. You need those guys, particularly Drury at 7 mill, on the top 2 lines.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:36 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
If you use Drury and Avery on the third line it is too many dollars tied up in the third line. You need those guys, particularly Drury at 7 mill, on the top 2 lines.
Perhaps, but this team doesn't really have a true 1st/2nd/3rd line in the traditional sense. I mean, should Dubi really be a 1st line center over Gomez/Drury? Should Avery be a top 6 guy? Basically we roll 3 lines, so it doesn't matter as much who is on which line, as it does that the lines have good chemistry.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Edge

Depends on who is playing in front of them.

If the Rangers have depth/talent in front of them that allows them to actually play against other third lines or play their style of game, it could be a very good line.

If the Rangers don't have the offense in front of those guys to pull it off, than that's not really going to happen.

Effective lines aren't just about the abilities that they bring to the table, it's about being allowed to play THEIR game because other players on the team can do their own thing.

The championship teams are winners because they have depth and the right players playing the right role. Every line allows the other line to bring their style/role to the table. Without a good first line, the second and third lines suffer. Without good supporting lines, the first line suffers.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:56 PM
DutchShamrock

I think our 3rd line will be a complete surprise, regarding personal that is. We're really deep at center, shallow at wing. We were ok at left wing but if Straka and Avery go we are suddenly barren on the left. I think Drury slots up on the left on the top 2 lines. I love Dawes but I don't see him as an effective 3rd liner, not with the task of shutting down and checking at least. I'd like to see him running with Gomez, I like their chemistry.

I think we'll see Korpikoski or Anisimov centering the 3rd, outside, remote chance of Moore sliding into that spot or the 4th with Betts on the 3rd. Callahan I see playing right wing on the 3rd. After that, I guess it's up for grabs on the left: Sjostrom, Prucha, Korpikoski, UFA, Avery? I just don't see a Dawes, Drury, Callahan 3rd happening.

I think Renney and co view the 3rd line as a nice incubator for some young guys. We saw Dubinsky open there until Jagr claimed him. We saw Callahan start there. The way Renney like to roll his lines, that's the safest place. Usually Betts shuts down, not the 3rd line. We don't look to the 3rd to generate too much scoring. In fact, I don't really know what their main task is other than to do a little bit of everything, energy, some points, some defense, rest the special teams guys. I think the trend continues.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue and Blue View Post
If Avery is signed:

Avery / Drury / Callahan

The best 3rd line in hockey? 65 Goals and solid / agitating two-way play.
That is what I would hope for..........thing is who plays the top 2

yea Dubinsky and Jagr with who?
Gomez and Dawes with who?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I think our 3rd line will be a complete surprise, regarding personal that is. We're really deep at center, shallow at wing. We were ok at left wing but if Straka and Avery go we are suddenly barren on the left. I think Drury slots up on the left on the top 2 lines. I love Dawes but I don't see him as an effective 3rd liner, not with the task of shutting down and checking at least. I'd like to see him running with Gomez, I like their chemistry.

I think we'll see Korpikoski or Anisimov centering the 3rd, outside, remote chance of Moore sliding into that spot or the 4th with Betts on the 3rd. Callahan I see playing right wing on the 3rd. After that, I guess it's up for grabs on the left: Sjostrom, Prucha, Korpikoski, UFA, Avery? I just don't see a Dawes, Drury, Callahan 3rd happening.

I think Renney and co view the 3rd line as a nice incubator for some young guys. We saw Dubinsky open there until Jagr claimed him. We saw Callahan start there. The way Renney like to roll his lines, that's the safest place. Usually Betts shuts down, not the 3rd line. We don't look to the 3rd to generate too much scoring. In fact, I don't really know what their main task is other than to do a little bit of everything, energy, some points, some defense, rest the special teams guys. I think the trend continues.
I also won't be surprised to see a FA C brought in for cheaper

then moving Drury to the Gomez and Dawes line............having Jagr with Dubinsky and a reasonibly priced FA wing like Satan

then a 3rd line of the new C, Callahan and Korpikoski

Then Aminisev can play when he is ready the next yr

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 09:21 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
That is what I would hope for..........thing is who plays the top 2

yea Dubinsky and Jagr with who?
Gomez and Dawes with who?
I'd kind of like to see Korpikowski or Sjostrom get a look with Gomez/Dawes. Not sure who would go with Dubi/Jagr though...probably have to go outside the organization.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Jay88*

I would love to see:

Korpikoski-Drury-Callahan

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote