HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Steve Quailer is the 3rd pick.....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2008, 12:41 PM
  #76
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
We trade our first round pick this year to acquire a high profile, superstar winger from Quebec, but WAH WAH TIMMINS IS SELECTING MORE AMERICANS!

You know, we could have selected Pascal Leclaire over Mike Komisarek. Would you be happy?

We could have selected Jeff Deslauriers instead of Higgins. Another local boy!

How about Steve Bernier over Andrei Kostitsyn? I'm sure theres one dolt around these boards who'd select Bernier over Kostitsyn because of GRIT GRIT GRIT BABY GRIT GRITTTTTTTT.

I'll draft who becomes the best player, not where they are from. We're still the envy of the NHL for our american selections in the 2007 Draft. We could have always selected Esposito and David Perron instead. Would you be happy?


I agree with you. The Habs finished 1st in the east with a team built through the draft, got a French star that some fans have been asking for and people still find things to complain about.

They will never go with the best "French" player available anymore. They will go the the best "Who every" player available. Accept it...

Good job Gainey and Timmins!!

Can't wait to see what the team will look when the season starts!!!


Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:44 PM
  #77
Kaptain Bégin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Québec, Quebec
Posts: 625
vCash: 500
A lot of peaple here know nothing about scouting and player developpement. If you want to find gem, go scout where nobody else scout. Right now, it's USHL and USHS. We find MaxPac at 22 and he's a great prospect. I see him played a couple of time last winter and he amazed me by his speed, grit and offensive play. A true power forward like Bill Guerin.

After you drafted the BPA, you must give him time to become ready for pro hockey. How many players play before they're 21 or 22 years old and are drafted after the first round? Not many. You protect yourself to select them and let them play 3 or 4 years in US or Europe. With 2 more years, JT Wyman show us he deserved a pro contract and without it, Cameron Cepek is no longer the propriety of the Habs.

So, where's the logic to take guys from the Canada who can't make it in the next 2 years?

And if anybody else want David [I don't have charater issues, I'm just more often late then Ray Emery*] Perron, St.Louis Blues will be happy to take you as fans.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:51 PM
  #78
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
We trade our first round pick this year to acquire a high profile, superstar winger from Quebec, but WAH WAH TIMMINS IS SELECTING MORE AMERICANS!

You know, we could have selected Pascal Leclaire over Mike Komisarek. Would you be happy?

We could have selected Jeff Deslauriers instead of Higgins. Another local boy!

How about Steve Bernier over Andrei Kostitsyn? I'm sure theres one dolt around these boards who'd select Bernier over Kostitsyn because of GRIT GRIT GRIT BABY GRIT GRITTTTTTTT.

I'll draft who becomes the best player, not where they are from. We're still the envy of the NHL for our american selections in the 2007 Draft. We could have always selected Esposito and David Perron instead. Would you be happy?
lol you are right

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:11 PM
  #79
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL
 
Rise from the Ashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,915
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Anyone who says Timmins favors Americans is missing the point.

He favors players he doesn't have to sign inside two years. NCAA players are the only ones left. Right now, Montreal is absolutely stocked full of prospects and we cannot sign them all. Why? Because he drafts well and we want to sign them all!

The best solution is to draft more NCAA players, because they can be in the system for four years before a decision needs to be made.
precisely. Also, how can one actually question his selections?!

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:32 PM
  #80
Istvan
Registered User
 
Istvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
And Price, Lats, Kostitsyns, Plekanec...

Timmins has a favorable bias toward american players, anyone who doesn't see that is blind...

I don't mind the first pick, I wouldn't even mind the second one, but it's too many coincidences to suppose that the BPA is always an american... the fact is that Timmins might have a bigger crush on americans... Don't forget that we aren't americans and that once in a while, it would be kind a fun to take a very very very small (like a 3rd rounder) risk with a local kid... or just not the same origin... have you ever heard the saying "don't put all your eggs in the same basket"?
This saying doesn't remotely apply to drafting Americans.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:37 PM
  #81
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,120
vCash: 500
Personally I love drafting all these Americans. BPA of course, but taking college-bound kids lets us take chances on late bloomers, especially ones who haven't grown into their bodies yet and then unlike EVERY OTHER COUNTRY'S PROSPECTS we don't have to sign them in two years. That is a huge advantage and it only applies to prospects in college programs and the only NHL-stream college programs are in the US.

The CBA offers teams a loophole advantage when the draft Americans. In a case like Fisher's, thank God he's in college, otherwise his slow development would be a major headache already. Instead he has two more years if he needs them and he doesn't eat a contract slot. In the case of Higgins and Komisarek it's been a great strategy and hopefully the same will be true for lots more habs to come.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:44 PM
  #82
LilWinger11
 
LilWinger11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
But that's just not true. Timmins said last year that drafting american kids permit us to evaluate them more.

So where they are from means something for him.

Timmins would just need to tell and explain that to the people. 2 players with the same kind of talent, the American will ALWAYS come on top 'cause of the way we can evaluate them. That's all.

As far as the player Qualier is concerned, it might be quite interesting. Some filling to do, and great speed for the size he has. Quite raw, but then that's why a guy like that is a good pick for the American system.
I think there's two different issues here: where the player is from, and where the player plays. I don't think Trevor cares where the player is from, whether he's from Quebec, Ontario, US, Sweden, etc... we have an advantage when we draft players who are playing or planning to play in the NCAA because we can give them more time to develop thier game, and if necessary to develop physically. We get that advantage whether the player is American, Ontarian, or Quebecois; it just happens that most NCAA players are American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Anyone who says Timmins favors Americans is missing the point.

He favors players he doesn't have to sign inside two years. NCAA players are the only ones left. Right now, Montreal is absolutely stocked full of prospects and we cannot sign them all. Why? Because he drafts well and we want to sign them all!

The best solution is to draft more NCAA players, because they can be in the system for four years before a decision needs to be made.
Exactly. You know what would probably cause us to draft more Quebecers? If there were more Quebecers playing in the NCAA. I know the language issue means that's not practical for every Quebec kid, as well as the issue about what to play between Midget and university, but if the Habs had a choice between two NCAA players, an American and a Quebecois, all other things being equal I gotta think we'd take the Quebec kid.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:45 PM
  #83
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,371
vCash: 500
So Quailer will be at the dev. camp from Timmins himself.

Another reason to be pissed off not to be able to see.....I will go if they're doing something over the weekend that's for sure....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:58 PM
  #84
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,435
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Bégin View Post
A lot of peaple here know nothing about scouting and player developpement. If you want to find gem, go scout where nobody else scout. Right now, it's USHL and USHS. We find MaxPac at 22 and he's a great prospect. I see him played a couple of time last winter and he amazed me by his speed, grit and offensive play. A true power forward like Bill Guerin.

After you drafted the BPA, you must give him time to become ready for pro hockey. How many players play before they're 21 or 22 years old and are drafted after the first round? Not many. You protect yourself to select them and let them play 3 or 4 years in US or Europe. With 2 more years, JT Wyman show us he deserved a pro contract and without it, Cameron Cepek is no longer the propriety of the Habs.

So, where's the logic to take guys from the Canada who can't make it in the next 2 years?
Excellent post. I love this pick the USHL is the future, i've ben hearing good stuff all year long about that league.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:42 PM
  #85
GNick42
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,427
vCash: 500
Timmins must have scouted Quailer thoroughly and deemed him better than Jokinen. I don't know either player that well...we have to trust in him

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:58 PM
  #86
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500


Looks to be a big, strong, fast, and tough kid. And obviously can throw them bows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhoHH...5&Fight=163355

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:06 PM
  #87
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,371
vCash: 500
Just realized that I had that comment on June 17th when I was answering Artie about what I thought about Quailer who I never say him play though...

You mean that Quailer??? Andrew Conboy part 2??? You love them mean do you???

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fhoHHxRpN1k

Don't know him too much. But by the description on HF, you have to wonder why he's ranked so low 'cause he has some nice breakway speed, good hands, good vision, good playmaking, shoots well, quick release, protect the puck in the corners, fights, great size but just needs to fill it out? You're right, seems interesting to me and might be a candidate to rise come draft day. So sure, I'd like him. Just didn't know him much so he couldn't be amongst my favorites...but now....by that description, how can you not like him?


http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...uailer&page=39

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:08 PM
  #88
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Timmins must have scouted Quailer thoroughly and deemed him better than Jokinen. I don't know either player that well...we have to trust in him
Jokinen played Minn HS which is not a very good caliber. Quailer played USHL - a much better competitive league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post


Looks to be a big, strong, fast, and tough kid. And obviously can throw them bows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhoHH...5&Fight=163355
WOW!!!

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:11 PM
  #89
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,371
vCash: 500
Based on this, he had committed to the Northeastern University....wonder if he's really thinking about "decommitting"....

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/5484

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:17 PM
  #90
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludger View Post
Is Trevor Timmins an American?/ Drafting only Americans is starting to be annoying.
you mean like Chipchura, Price and Latendresse?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:28 PM
  #91
Vilgrain
 
Vilgrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Timmins has a favorable bias toward american players, anyone who doesn't see that is blind...
i think you mean ''knowledge'', don't you?

timmins seeing that kristo isn't taken yet
''omg!!!! he's still available???''
same for quailer

would you have chosen another qbust?

Vilgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:00 PM
  #92
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
All Montreal does is draft American players, would it hurt to draft a little homegrown talent for once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Overaged?

I wonder where this pick comes from...

As much as I like Timmins work, I'm starting to be a little annoyed with all these american picks, have they become a powerhouse over night?... or it's because you don't have to sign them before another 3-4 years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaluty View Post
When did Montreal become the 51st state? Maybe we can trade Timmins to a U.S team
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludger View Post
Is Trevor Timmins an American?/ Drafting only Americans is starting to be annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludger View Post
Have some of you guys ever hear of Canadian hockey players, maybe one or two are second or third round material
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
And Price, Lats, Kostitsyns, Plekanec...

Timmins has a favorable bias toward american players, anyone who doesn't see that is blind...

I don't mind the first pick, I wouldn't even mind the second one, but it's too many coincidences to suppose that the BPA is always an american... the fact is that Timmins might have a bigger crush on americans... Don't forget that we aren't americans and that once in a while, it would be kind a fun to take a very very very small (like a 3rd rounder) risk with a local kid... or just not the same origin... have you ever heard the saying "don't put all your eggs in the same basket"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Yes more american players gets drafted... that doesn't mean they're better... far from it... there's a ton of american busts. But unlike us, americans tend to draft americans and they're not afraid of it or saying it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
You're reinterpreting all...

It's not only about drafting local players, it's more about drafting mostly americans... it's different...

I actually don't care that much about Quebecers, except if they're good... and I'm also talking about last year draft, not before that...

This goes for all of you


Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:02 PM
  #93
Ghostki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Since when are we taking about the nhl team?

It's about the draft and the prospects.

We use to have much more variety than now... How many europeen prospects do we have?

Russians are still in good numbers, even if we didn't draft any in the last 2 drafts (Well, we'll see for this year...)

But, how about Finns, Swedes, Tchecks, Slovaks?

How many in the Q? like one?... a couple in the OHL... a couple in the WHL and the rest in the US...

It used to be one or two players taken from the US, now it's 50%... that's what we call a bias...

It's funny how people tends to think that being biased is supposely a conspiracy? It has nothing to do with it, so stop with the insunations...
How about Aubin, Fortier, Desharnais, Beauregard, O Lats, Carle, Desjardins, Paquet... Some are older prospects, agreed, but prospects nonetheless, no matter how they were acquired.

Ghostki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:09 PM
  #94
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Just realized that I had that comment on June 17th when I was answering Artie about what I thought about Quailer who I never say him play though...

You mean that Quailer??? Andrew Conboy part 2??? You love them mean do you???

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fhoHHxRpN1k

Don't know him too much. But by the description on HF, you have to wonder why he's ranked so low 'cause he has some nice breakway speed, good hands, good vision, good playmaking, shoots well, quick release, protect the puck in the corners, fights, great size but just needs to fill it out? You're right, seems interesting to me and might be a candidate to rise come draft day. So sure, I'd like him. Just didn't know him much so he couldn't be amongst my favorites...but now....by that description, how can you not like him?


http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...uailer&page=39




PS: Thanks Beaker. The system/ignore list fails me again

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:45 PM
  #95
KnucklesTheTard*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
MTL-Rules is whinging because we don't have "diversity" in our draft picks. OMG GET A LIFE. Who cares if he drafts more Americans. This guy should not be posting anymore. His intelligence in hockey is way bellow average and it bothers me.

So basically by MTL-Rules we should have affirmative action in hockey draft. "ok so guys this year are are going to draft 1 Canadian, 1American, 1eurpean, 1 Mexican, 1 Japanese, and finally 1 Zimbabwean"- Trevor Timmins*not rly him just exaple hahaha

"YAY Im so happy that we have a great diverse draft hurray!" MTL-Rules

This guy is an obvious clown.

KnucklesTheTard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:02 PM
  #96
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,644
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Sounds to me that Quailer is coming to the developmental camp and based on what they see with him, they'll negotiate whether or not to send him to the WHL or go the NCAA route.

I'm willing to bet he goes NCAA.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:05 PM
  #97
LilWinger11
 
LilWinger11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Sounds to me that Quailer is coming to the developmental camp and based on what they see with him, they'll negotiate whether or not to send him to the WHL or go the NCAA route.

I'm willing to bet he goes NCAA.
If he does, I'll try to get up to Northeastern to see him at least once and post a report.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:10 PM
  #98
Galchy27
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
This draft year was unquestionably the poorest Québécois vintage of all time. At least the Habs got a francophone with thir first round pick. Too bad he's 28, very highly paid, and an impending UFA. But maybe he'll give the nativists someone to cheer for when the PA announcer calls out his name.

Galchy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:10 PM
  #99
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,644
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
If he does, I'll try to get up to Northeastern to see him at least once and post a report.
And if you have to sleep with him to get insider information, you'll have to do it.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:14 PM
  #100
LilWinger11
 
LilWinger11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
And if you have to sleep with him to get insider information, you'll have to do it.
Um... have you mentioned this to Beaker?

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.