HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

McCabe

Old
06-20-2008, 02:29 PM
REF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan79 View Post
I find this to be a very interesting game of cat and mouse between McCabe and the Leafs. Do Leafs fans really think if this stalemate continues, they'll sit him if the reg season starts and they are unable to move him? Can anyone think of a situation similar to this right offhand? Really shows how destructive NMCs/NTCs can really be for a team.
I am hearing on TV & radio + reading in papers/blogs more & more that this looks like it might get ugly. It appears by Fletcher's recent comment "we will not buy-out McCabe's contract", then McCabe agent said, "McCabe would not waive his no-movement clause", that a battle is looming.

So let the stalemate begin. As I see it, 1 of 2 things will happen...

If Fletcher wins...McCabe agrees to waive, but the only possible way this happens is they give McCabe notice he has been assigned to the press box or at home, which might take us in to October or November.

If McCabe wins, the Leafs decide to trade Kubina instead during the short 2 month window they are able, making McCabe's contract palatable or else buy-out McCabe's contract.

Trouble is, Fletcher keeps insisting that this team WILL be dismantled BEFORE SUMMER'S END!!!!!!!

REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Chyzowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
I am hearing on TV & radio + reading in papers/blogs more & more that this looks like it might get ugly. It appears by Fletcher's recent comment "we will not buy-out McCabe's contract", then McCabe agent said, "McCabe would not waive his no-movement clause", that a battle is looming.

So let the stalemate begin. As I see it, 1 of 2 things will happen...

If Fletcher wins...McCabe agrees to waive, but the only possible way this happens is they give McCabe notice he has been assigned to the press box or at home, which might take us in to October or November.

They probably can't do that. They agreed to give McCabe the no movement clause. By forcing him to sit, they are attempting to force him to waive that clause. Under the CBA, the teams are required to to act in good faith in honoring the contract that they agreed to:

11.9(e) No Club shall act in bad faith to deprive a Player of rights or benefits under this agreement...."

At least in that way, the Leafs can't bully him into waiving his rights under the contract. Otherwise, the clause would have no meaning or value.

Chyzowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Nashology

oh dear lord, someone in this topic said McCabe is a number 1 dman.

Nashology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:57 AM
CM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyzowski View Post
They probably can't do that. They agreed to give McCabe the no movement clause. By forcing him to sit, they are attempting to force him to waive that clause. Under the CBA, the teams are required to to act in good faith in honoring the contract that they agreed to:

11.9(e) No Club shall act in bad faith to deprive a Player of rights or benefits under this agreement...."

At least in that way, the Leafs can't bully him into waiving his rights under the contract. Otherwise, the clause would have no meaning or value.
true enough but the "loophole" for that would be dressing McCabe and playing him for minimum ice time. Which is your playing him you just think your 5.75 mil Defenceman is your 6th D.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:00 AM
bfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSFANINTO View Post
If the leafs are tanking then MCCABE is the man to keep.

HE IS A TERRIBLE D MAN.
This is the mainstream opinion of McCabe, probably those who don't watch him, and hate the Toronto Maple Leafs. Me personally, I'd rather keep him for the rebuild than I would Kubina.

bfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:03 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Could the Leafs refuse to waive McCabe and just...suspend him with no salary? Can you imagine the drama?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashology View Post
oh dear lord, someone in this topic said McCabe is a number 1 dman.
Then list 30 better all around d-men.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:29 PM
DuklaNation

McCabe is obviously a selfish *******. All he wants is a buyout so he can sign somewhere else and come out ahead money wise.

I say play him at forward or sit him in the press box. Or make him work the concession stands at the ACC. Humiliate him into waiving that NTC.

They should do it like baseball. Dont the players have to list 3-5 teams that are acceptable?

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan79 View Post
I find this to be a very interesting game of cat and mouse between McCabe and the Leafs. Do Leafs fans really think if this stalemate continues, they'll sit him if the reg season starts and they are unable to move him? Can anyone think of a situation similar to this right offhand? Really shows how destructive NMCs/NTCs can really be for a team.
No one who's sane does.. so a good 50% of our fans, ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyzowski View Post

Important point that really hasn't been brought up yet in these talks. Don't think the NHLPA wouldn't pursue it, either. Academic, it would never happen.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:22 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Could the Leafs refuse to waive McCabe and just...suspend him with no salary? Can you imagine the drama?
What drama? McCabe doesn't get a check, McCabe sues, McCabe wins. They have a contract they have to pay him.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:25 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
McCabe is obviously a selfish *******. All he wants is a buyout so he can sign somewhere else and come out ahead money wise.

I say play him at forward or sit him in the press box. Or make him work the concession stands at the ACC. Humiliate him into waiving that NTC.

They should do it like baseball. Dont the players have to list 3-5 teams that are acceptable?
Why shouldn't he want his money? He gave up free agency to resign with Toronto, possibly for less money than he could have gotten on the market (we will never actually know). Why should Toronto get to resign him, possibly for less, then just move him? He didn't sign for (possibly) less to play in Phoenix or Florida, he did it to play in Toronto. Now the team realizes they made a mistake, and he is supposed to give up millions of dollars to help a team that wants to get rid of him? Why?

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote