HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Round 5, pick #141 - Rangers select C Chris Doyle (P.E.I. Rocket, QMJHL)

Old
06-21-2008, 12:06 PM
coolbean04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Im a natural winger. Rangers should draft me.
There's one difference, you stink haha.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
There's one difference, you stink haha.
probably right NOW I do.

I WAS pretty good though, so.. you never know.

I was more of a football player though.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:07 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

sorry Jonathan, I meant to quote the guy who's mad about the team drafting centers

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Did Cam Atkinson grow or something? He was amazing last year which was his true draft year..I have trouble believing scouts just saw him this year.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
No, your right, I haven't, so technically I don't have a right to complain, only about what I've read so far about these kids and seen in their leagues and positions, and so far I'm not impressed by the first seeing eye.

Del Zotto, nah, I was stoked about that pick. That's what I meant. It will be all worth it if he is what we think he can be..........
This is America (for most of us that post here) you can complain, cry, kick and scream and who am i to call you out for it..BUT...it's way to early to say anything about these kids...especially 5th round picks...

what you are reading for the most part is dated information....some if it done before the hockey season was even over...most of it done before the combine...it's hard to bash picks that you haven't seen based on reports from writers that get more picks wrong then right....maybe that's just me...i don't know..

As far as Del Zotto is concerned he is 3 or 4 years away from the NHL. to compare him to anything close to an NHL hall of famer is nuts...i respect your opinion and can see where your excitement is coming from but it's way to early to call him anything special...

as fickle as we are as posters, if Del Zotto has a down year then posters will be calling him a bust next season...lets just see how this all plays out...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:13 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Kid with an Irish last name and a March 22 b-day? Who apparently has skill AND isn't afraid to drop the gloves? My new favorite prospect.

Jon, going to our earlier conversation about Weise: See, this is the kind of pick I like - originally projected as a 2nd rounder, stalled for some reason. Much better than a guy who's been passed over in previous drafts who doesn't seem to have that much natural talent, but the scouts see something that they think they can develop.

Natural skill that seems to have run into a (hopefully temporary) issue over a guy who seems like a project? Every time for me.

But again, I haven't seen any of these guys, so I certainly hope you're right about Weise.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:25 PM
wingmanpei

Doyle plays for our local junior team, PEI Rocket, and have watched him since he was drafted into the QMJHL.

Doyle is a talented player who has a hard shot, is a good skater and an offensive player. He uses his hard shot alot, sometimes too much, where at times he sacrifices accuracy in favor of hardness. His defensive game needs alot of work as it seems like he is thinking offense alot more than defense which is keeping him from having a good all-around game. I think that may be a reason why he slipped as much as he did. His work ethic and commitment is another reason why he has slipped because it seemed like he was trying to get by on talent alone at times.

Doyle does have the talent and the tools to get to the NHL, but he has to get his head into it and realize that it takes more than talent to get there. Hopefully being taken so low will give him that kick in the butt to get his head and game in gear or else his talent is going to be of no use.

For the people who think the Rangers are taking too many centers, personally I think Doyle would be a better fit on the wing instead of being a centerman.

wingmanpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Marco Corleone

Im a big Doyle fan, and one that believes that he was a steal for the Rangers at rd#5.
Doyle had a rough year, on and off the ice, but still put up a pt per game.
He has a NHL caliber shot as we speak, and does not mind mixing it up in the corners.
Don't be surprised to see Chris toss up 40+ goals this upcoming season.
Ranger fans should be excited about this pick.

Marco Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:49 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Corleone View Post
Im a big Doyle fan, and one that believes that he was a steal for the Rangers at rd#5.
Doyle had a rough year, on and off the ice, but still put up a pt per game.
He has a NHL caliber shot as we speak, and does not mind mixing it up in the corners.
Don't be surprised to see Chris toss up 40+ goals this upcoming season.
Ranger fans should be excited about this pick.
he can fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxwZUm68FVk

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:26 AM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
I love how players book it to the box/dressing room after the fight is over... Who came up with that???

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:49 AM
eco's bones

Nice commentary and a thank you to wingmanpei and Marco Corleone who seem to have seen a lot of him. I also like the battle with MacMillan. Just because he's a 5th rounder doesn't mean he won't make the team some day. After all Callahan was drafted somewhere around the same.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 02:56 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmanpei View Post
Doyle plays for our local junior team, PEI Rocket, and have watched him since he was drafted into the QMJHL.

Doyle is a talented player who has a hard shot, is a good skater and an offensive player. He uses his hard shot alot, sometimes too much, where at times he sacrifices accuracy in favor of hardness. His defensive game needs alot of work as it seems like he is thinking offense alot more than defense which is keeping him from having a good all-around game. I think that may be a reason why he slipped as much as he did. His work ethic and commitment is another reason why he has slipped because it seemed like he was trying to get by on talent alone at times.

Doyle does have the talent and the tools to get to the NHL, but he has to get his head into it and realize that it takes more than talent to get there. Hopefully being taken so low will give him that kick in the butt to get his head and game in gear or else his talent is going to be of no use.

For the people who think the Rangers are taking too many centers, personally I think Doyle would be a better fit on the wing instead of being a centerman.

thank you for coming in here and giving us some info.....sounds like a good pick....he seems lik ehe has some good size and a god shot...something the ranbgers system lacks....so far so good in the draft for me

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Edge

Doyle is a real sleeper here.

He's a kid who does a little bit of everything, but doesn't really have any one skill set that screams big leage talent.

He looks like he can pop in some odd points, but I don't know if I see him as a top-six forward.

But from what I have seen (and keep in mind I haven't seen kids out of the Q nearly as much as other leagues) he might just have enough combination of skills, grit, ability to make it as a third liner.

I'd like to see him take his goal scoring and physical play and be a bit more consistent with the overall package.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:09 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
I love how players book it to the box/dressing room after the fight is over... Who came up with that???
I like the posts below:

"yah logan slept with doyles woman .. haha dont think he'll be doin that again"

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:54 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
from what i have read, he reminds me of darcy tucker. tucker was also a late round pick.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
from what i have read, he reminds me of darcy tucker. tucker was also a late round pick.
I'd say he's a very poor man's Chris Drury right now. He plays that kind of game, just not on that kind of level.

As for people complaining about taking centers, at least one of them projects as a winger right off the bat and a second isn't that far fetched either.

A large number of the NHL wingers played center in juniors.

Old
06-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I'd say he's a very poor man's Chris Drury right now. He plays that kind of game, just not on that kind of level.

As for people complaining about taking centers, at least one of them projects as a winger right off the bat and a second isn't that far fetched either.

A large number of the NHL wingers played center in juniors.
This sounds a bit like what people were saying about Tommy Pyatt when he was drafted..

Edge do you think Pyatt is in the Rangers plans at all or has he turned into a bit of project?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
This sounds a bit like what people were saying about Tommy Pyatt when he was drafted..

Edge do you think Pyatt is in the Rangers plans at all or has he turned into a bit of project?
I think he's on the radar, but I don't think anyone expected him to fall as flat as he did.

Obviously, he's a bit of a longer term projection but I'd be lying if I didn't say I think last year hurt his stock a lot.

I don't know if I'd use the word project though. It's more of either he makes it or he doesn't. He already projected as a jack of all trades, master of none type. If he can't do that, there's really not much left to turn him into anything else.