HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Overall Draft Grade

View Poll Results: grade
10 3 2.16%
9 6 4.32%
8 38 27.34%
7 57 41.01%
6 17 12.23%
5 5 3.60%
4 6 4.32%
3 2 1.44%
2 0 0%
1 5 3.60%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-21-2008, 10:33 PM
danno2530

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
8. There were guys I would have rather seen taken, I wish they would have emphasized wingers more (although they could always move one of those centers), but it appears that they got a couple of potential steals in the later rounds and I'm very pleased with the Del Zotto pick.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
or maybe they didnt know if they were moving up, down, staying in place, how at # 20 can you think your guy will be there for sure?
Of course you don't know he is going to be there for sure. But, with the numerous scouting services, and guides available I think they woul dhave had a pretty good idea and narrow it down to about 4 or 5 players.

But, I am pretty sure they had a sweater with Cherepanovs name on it last season. That guy was ranked what 5th overall? They got him at 17th I believe. Anyway, my point is I don't think he was their guy with the 20th. I think they had thier sites on someone else, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:07 AM
chosen

The teams have no idea how they did at the draft so how do any of you have a clue?

One of the keys will turn out to be whether our 1st rounder is a head case on his way out of hockey or a talent that has hit a bump in the road.

In 5 years we will all know although we will still not all agree with each other.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:12 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Most seem to think that Del Zotto was a steal at 20, but as a whole I'm not overly impressed with this draft.

I gave it a 6 because while I'm not happy with the pick, I do acknowledge there's alot of offensive talent and potential with MDZ.

Had we taken the goal-scoring forward we truly need, I'd have given it a 7, the rest of the draft for me was vanilla

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 02:39 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I give it an 8. If Del Zotto puts it together he could be a stud defender. He's very talented. I don't know much at all about Stepan, but he played for SSM and is going to Wisconsin so his coaching will be top notch and hopefully that accelerates his development and looks like he can have a told . Grachev looks like he can be a good player, I think he will be transfered to wing. If he comes to the CHL that would be good to get him more ice as seen with Anisimov Yarsalov doesn't play their kids much. Doyle also has talent and was project to be a top 2 round pick this year and he put up pretty good numbers in the Q.

It seems like they got guys with talent, and they hope to help develop more maturity as a hockey player. I'm happy with the draft.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 03:29 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Del ZOTTO will lead us to the cup...YES!!!

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:46 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I gave it a 7. The only issue I had was that the team did not pick a goalie in the middle rounds, especially when Sateri was still available in the 4th and 5th rounds I believe. There is no home-run player or potential super-star, but I think the Rangers made a lot of quality picks that could turn out to be solid 1st or 2nd liners or top 4 pairing D-men.

Del Zotto addresses a need, which is a future PP QB.

Stephan is a type of prospect that this team lacks, which is a natural goal scorer. The only other prospect that is a natural goalscorer in the Rangers system is Cherry. The fact that he wants to switch to wing is even better. Which addresses another organizational weakness, a goal scoring winger.

Grachev I think was a steal in the 3rd round. He's not your typical Russian. He's big, he has skill, and he likes to go into the corners and dig out the puck. A hard nosed player. He has top 6 potential as well. He addresses another organizational weakness, which is size up front. I think I read somewhere on here that he also expressed interest in switching to the wing.

Kundratek I really don't know much about aside from the Prospect Reports and what i've read on here. It seems like he has a boat load of potential, but had a terrible WJC. If thats the only big knock on him, thats fine with me. From what i've gathered, he has top 4 potential. He could be another steal for the Rangers at this point.

Weise seems like a good pick up in the 4th round. Bigger (6'2) and can put the puck in the net in a league that is very defensive (WHL) and hes a natural winger as well. The addition of Weise adds depth to the wings and he has goal scoring ability, another organizational weakness. He seems destined to be a 3rd liner, but one that can put the puck in the net.

Doyle in the 5th could turn out to be a steal, as he was rated a lot higher in the mid-season rankings. I don't know much about him so i'll leave it at that.

Gaulton I don't know too much about either.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:11 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
you guys do realize our highest pick was number 20 overall right? Essentially we took the BPA at each pick, how did we not atleast do well??? list the players we would have rather taken at each spot, and none of them are cant miss, lets be realistic we did well with what we had
That's why my grade was a 6. I thought it was a "meh" draft when you think of all the horse trading that was going on early. Could we have sent the rights to Rosy, Sanguinetti and our first for Olli? I would, toomany centers be damned.

I'm ok with taking BPA (DZ), I'm puzzled by the reach at #2 and p leased a picking up Grachev at 3, although they should have targeted Petrov. That would have made it a 7.5 - 8 draft. The rest of the rounds I give them leeway as only they know why they drafted them. We could also have gambled on a goalie instead of gambling on 4-6 Dmen. JMO

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:14 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'm not up on any of the guys drafted in the later rounds, but I'm pretty disappointed that they went with Del Zotto instead of Carlson. He just seemed like he was the exact player that we needed, and granted he probably wouldn't step into the league for a couple seasons, I don't think Del Zotto makes sense.
I liked Carlson too for what he brings, but you ALWAYS take the more versatile "offensive" puck moving Dman in my book. Solid Dmen are easier and cheaper to come by IMO.

I would have tried to offer SJ, who I assume was trying desperately to acquire a 1st, our 20th and a warm body for Petrecki who is one year further in his development and the player Carlson is compared to, don't believe the Weber comparison. AAgain, JMO.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 09:35 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
I'd like to thank "DevFan-RU-" for taking the time to offer his opinion in this poll. A 1 is very insightful and probably not biased at all.
lmao

On topic, I have a really really good feeling about this draft. I was higher than most on Stepan and DZ before the draft and I'm glad the Rangers nabbed them.

06-22-2008, 12:05 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Its a 6 for me, only because the guys they've picked have more raw potential than actual potential.

I can live with all the picks, can live with trading Bourret - Theres just no wow factor. It could be a solid draft looking back 2 or 3 years from now, but we dont know that.

A 6 for me. Tad better than average.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:50 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

I'm going to say "8", because I like the approach as a whole. The Rangers added depth everywhere excpet goalie. Del Zotto was the BPA at 20, and was the most talented player left on the board. Looking at the Stepan, I'll admit he wasn't on my radar, but, he's got a good pedigree, has a lot of upside, and looks to be headed to the wing. 6'0", 168? Dubinsky was 5'11, 180 when he was drafted. Stepan, if he makes the NHL will be a top six forward, exactly what the Rangers need. Grachev...GREAT value in the 3rd round, already more likely to come over than Petrov...the type of PF this franchise does not have enough of...Kundratek...top Czech available in the draft...can play a physical game...brings much needed depth to the defensive, something the Rangers have not concentrated enough on in the past two drafts. Wiese is probably the least interesting pick, from my point-of-view, 3rd liner at best from what I can tell. The 5th and 6th picks are intriguing, since the upside is pretty high on both. Doyle played in the CHL top prospects game, and the report on him is 2nd line or bust...for a 5th rounder, that's a risk I'm willing to take. If the Rangers get his head on straight, he could be a nice surprise, and it sounds like he's also more suited to play wing. Gaulton is even more intriguing than Doyle...THN had him as a potential 2nd pick...he's physical, and plays a smart game...but, due to his injury and the awfulness of his junior team, teams had a hard time getting a read on him...I wouldn't have gambled with a 2nd round pick, but, when this kind of player is still there in round 6, you take him. Overall, I liked the approach, and there is the potential, IF things develop the right way, that the Rangers really helped themselves. They imporved the overall depth, and still filled some needs.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 02:51 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I'm going to say "8", because I like the approach as a whole. The Rangers added depth everywhere excpet goalie. Del Zotto was the BPA at 20, and was the most talented player left on the board. Looking at the Stepan, I'll admit he wasn't on my radar, but, he's got a good pedigree, has a lot of upside, and looks to be headed to the wing. 6'0", 168? Dubinsky was 5'11, 180 when he was drafted. Stepan, if he makes the NHL will be a top six forward, exactly what the Rangers need. Grachev...GREAT value in the 3rd round, already more likely to come over than Petrov...the type of PF this franchise does not have enough of...Kundratek...top Czech available in the draft...can play a physical game...brings much needed depth to the defensive, something the Rangers have not concentrated enough on in the past two drafts. Wiese is probably the least interesting pick, from my point-of-view, 3rd liner at best from what I can tell. The 5th and 6th picks are intriguing, since the upside is pretty high on both. Doyle played in the CHL top prospects game, and the report on him is 2nd line or bust...for a 5th rounder, that's a risk I'm willing to take. If the Rangers get his head on straight, he could be a nice surprise, and it sounds like he's also more suited to play wing. Gaulton is even more intriguing than Doyle...THN had him as a potential 2nd pick...he's physical, and plays a smart game...but, due to his injury and the awfulness of his junior team, teams had a hard time getting a read on him...I wouldn't have gambled with a 2nd round pick, but, when this kind of player is still there in round 6, you take him. Overall, I liked the approach, and there is the potential, IF things develop the right way, that the Rangers really helped themselves. They imporved the overall depth, and still filled some needs.
Agree 100% with everything you wrote, jas. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 02:59 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Agree 100% with everything you wrote, jas. Thanks for saving me the trouble.
You could have corrected my spelling, though.

Old
06-22-2008, 03:03 PM
cmb572

btw where did petrov end up? which round did he go in? i know staal went like 2 or 3 picks before we had ours...do you think the rangers wouldve taken him if he was still there...i would like to think they wouldve but who knows eh

cmb572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb572 View Post
btw where did petrov end up? which round did he go in? i know staal went like 2 or 3 picks before we had ours...do you think the rangers wouldve taken him if he was still there...i would like to think they wouldve but who knows eh
the islanders got him. Islanders had a superb draft.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 03:43 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
the islanders got him. Islanders had a superb draft.
I don't disagree that they added a lot of talent to a system in need of depth, but, aside from Petrov, and maybe Bailey, they didn't get any players I wanted for the Rangers. Not a fan of Ness, Trivino or Niemi. And, given that it sounds like Grachev is more prepared to come over right away, the Grachev choice is more to my liking.

Old
06-22-2008, 03:54 PM
NYR Viper

im actually very impressed with this draft...i especially liked the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th rounds....

del zotto- i like the fact the rangers are adding another skating defenseman and from what i have read he is more polished defensively than sanguinetti was when he was drafted...almost so much that he is almost even defensively with sangs.....

stepen- although admittedly i dont know mich about this kid, he has good size and put up a good amount of goals at a very good high school.....i like the fact he played center and is going to switch to wing as it means he can play offensive and defensive....

grachev- i really like this pick....great size and hands...needs to work on his speed but he is a battler and i think he will turn into one of my favorite prospects because of that fact

kundratek- frpom everything i have read, it seems like he was a very good prospect until the WJC's.....now from what he is physical and mobile....something i like defenseman to be....he also creates contact which is a great thing IMO

daulton- IMO he will be the sleeper....i really like what i have read about this kid...big solid defenseman who likes to hit and has a cannon of a shot....drafted in juniors before 4th before wuite a few players and who was hurt all year with a dislocated elbow... exactly the low risk high-reward type of player the rangers should be drafting with their current system...

i think the main thing the rangers did, which i liked, was that they waited to see who droppeed and grabbed them....del zotto(shouldve gone higher in the first), grachev(shouldve gone in the early second), daulton(if he had been healthy all year he wouldve battled for a 2nd or 3rd rounder), kundratek(if he hadnt gone to the WJC's he wouldve been a legit 2nd rounder).......basically, although they didnt stockpile picks int he second and third rounds it seems like they got 3-4 solid 2nd-3rd rounders throughout the draft

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
FWIW, the Rangers got 5 of THN's top 100, and Stepan wasn't on there.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Edge

I'll say about an 8.

Considering where they were picking, I'm not expecting any players to be instant homeruns.

However there is some potential there.

Del Zotto, has a shot to be a very good NHL defenseman and I think he's got the higher upside of anyone available at the 20 spot by far.

Stepen has a lot of offensive potential and has some legit offensive abilities. He's a good skater, I think he'll have okay size and if he continues to develop could be an all-purpose offensive forward.

Grachev is the type of player you easily role the dice on in the third round. He's got size, a very good shot and I think his skating his good enough that he could be a real tough kid to stop if he charges to the net.

Kundratek plays a good two-way game and though he isn't spectacular in any one area, he could be a guy who quietly makes it as two way, bottom pairing defenseman.

Gaulton especially I like as our last pick. He reminds me of a quiet, do the small things type in a Dan Girardi mold.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:20 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Gaulton especially I like as our last pick. He reminds me of a quiet, do the small things type in a Dan Girardi mold.
Looking at his build, I immediately thought of Barrett Jackman.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
ill grade this draft in about 3 years

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Looking at his build, I immediately thought of Barrett Jackman.
Not nearly as aggresive.

I think he could be a player though. Time will tell on him.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
ill grade this draft in about 3 years
Obviously it's not a final judgement. It's just a reflection on what odds we have of producing something.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:41 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Of course you don't know he is going to be there for sure. But, with the numerous scouting services, and guides available I think they woul dhave had a pretty good idea and narrow it down to about 4 or 5 players.

But, I am pretty sure they had a sweater with Cherepanovs name on it last season. That guy was ranked what 5th overall? They got him at 17th I believe. Anyway, my point is I don't think he was their guy with the 20th. I think they had thier sites on someone else, but it just wasn't in the cards.
None of us know exactly what the team is thinking, but from what I read I believe the Rangers were prepared to trade up to grab Cherepanov. It's actually a testiment to the draft table, how they were able to gauge each and every team and guess correctly at each juncture, that no one was grabbing Cherepanov.

This draft, my guess is they felt that Del Zotto was slated as having the best offensive skills from the blueline, probably should've been drafted before 20 considering the new ephasis on puck movers. The Rangers probably had their sites on someone else who went earlier than expected. All in all I wouldn't read too much into the nameplate situation.

After the 1st round or so, everyone's a project. You're not going to find a sure-fire, homerun pick. Maybe he turns out to be Zetterberg or Lundqvist, but on draft day you don't know that. If you knew that, he was already gone at #1 overall. I'm not going to fault the scouts for drafting projects considering the spots we were drafting from.

Most of these guys are 3-5 years away so I'm not going to fault the scouts for getting guys in areas that we have depth in. You go BPA in these drafts. By the time they pan out your system is completely different, or they are assets that get moved for what you need. Go ahead and draft some scoring wingers but what happens when they don't pan out anyway, you still need scoring wingers. Get the kids with the most potential then you deal from the position of strength. No matter what, we weren't getting anything in this draft that helps us this season.

So all of that being said, I'm happy with their approach and train of thought. We'll know the real grade in a few years but I'm happy with our draft.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote