HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks 5th Round Selection - 131st overall - Prab Rai, C, Seattle

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2008, 03:13 PM
  #76
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,456
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Uhhhh....

Well, goodbye Mr. Delorme.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:10 PM
  #77
wilty00
Registered User
 
wilty00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kelowna/Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,268
vCash: 1004
The guy doesn't even have a ballin accent or anything.

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:58 PM
  #78
Fedz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,617
vCash: 500
Considering I played in Surrey for three years with him and know his family quite well, I should add a few comments here.

For a while it looked as if Prabh's talent was going by the wayside but after a christmas break and a talk from his older brother he really stepped it up and had a phenomenal end to the year, and along with Bud Holloway was the top forward on the Thunderbirds.

He is fast, two steps and he's full speed, much like a Mason Raymond kind of fast, but he's stocky. He isn't tiny, his height might not be exactly right but he isn't "small" by any means.

If I had to throw out one severe deficiency in his game is that he doesn't shoot the puck. I think he had 24 assists before he even scored this season, and it's not because he doesn't have a good shot, he just doesn't shoot enough. He needs to become a bit more selfish with the puck and work on his consistency and we could potentially have a player.

Fedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:22 PM
  #79
Cocomero*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,498
vCash: 500
And it begins.

Cocomero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:36 PM
  #80
Core
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 596
vCash: 500
They could have drafted Philip Larsen with this pick.

Well, Delorme had a chance to show Gillis what he is capable of, and it is very dissapointing.

Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:46 PM
  #81
Jazz
Registered User
 
Jazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Prab Rai, Seattle of the WHL. Odd name...

~Canucklehead~
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
weird name
Interesting comments here... What, are only WASP names like "Smith" and "Hodgson" acceptable? Last I checked there are many in Canada from different backgrounds - not hard to expect some of them would take up hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Ramzi Abid is another player of Indian decent, I believe.
Abid has Persian background IIRC

Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:53 PM
  #82
DreamCatcher*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Your Mind
Country: United Nations
Posts: 4,230
vCash: 500
I do not like this pick at all but the first two picks compensates for the idiocy by Delrome and Snepst.

I wonder if Nonis was GM what players he would choose in the first two rounds considering he likes speed.

1st - Mattias Tedenby
2nd - Kruise Reddick
5th - Prab Rai
6th - Mats Froshaug
7th - Morgan Clark

What a horrible, horrible looking draft

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:04 AM
  #83
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
I do not like this pick at all but the first two picks compensates for the idiocy by Delrome and Snepst.

I wonder if Nonis was GM what players he would choose in the first two rounds considering he likes speed.

1st - Mattias Tedenby
2nd - Kruise Reddick
5th - Prab Rai
6th - Mats Froshaug
7th - Morgan Clark

What a horrible, horrible looking draft
I've been wondering about this. When people talk about Nonis' drafting being better than Burke's, the counter argument was often "it's the scouts, not the GM!" and when people talk about how even under Nonis, the Canucks' drafting still wasn't that great, people would counter with "well it's that damned Delorme!!" So now that there is yet another GM with roughly the same scouting staff, is it Gillis? Delorme? Luongo?

This isn't really a shot at you or your post, it was just relevant to something I'd been thinking about earlier today.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:22 AM
  #84
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 12,188
vCash: 500
I'm surprised at the negativity with this pick. I don't know that he's the player I would have taken (that would have been Taylor Stefishen), but I think this is a pretty decent pick.

People complain about 'safe' picks and this is definitely a boom/bust type pick on a guy with top-6 upside. He's always had skill and skating ability, but was a perimeter player who wasn't willing to pay the price to get ugly goals. In the second half of last season, though, he seemed to 'get it' and was one of the best players in the WHL down the stretch.

He posted 18-23-41 with a +29 in his last 35 games. Pro-rate that over the full season, and he would have been top-10 in the WHL in goals and points, and would have led the WHL in +/-. The numbers he put up in the second half of the season were comparable or better than the 'name' WHL guys like Boychuk, Eberle, Ennis, and so on.

He has NHL skating ability and a pretty decent, stocky frame. He also sees the ice well and has above-average playmaking ability. If he continues to show the desire and determination he showed toward the end of last season, he'll develop into a very nice prospect for this team. If not, it was a decent risk to take.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:25 AM
  #85
AgentNaslund*
 
AgentNaslund*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
I do not like this pick at all but the first two picks compensates for the idiocy by Delrome and Snepst.

I wonder if Nonis was GM what players he would choose in the first two rounds considering he likes speed.

1st - Mattias Tedenby
2nd - Kruise Reddick
5th - Prab Rai
6th - Mats Froshaug
7th - Morgan Clark

What a horrible, horrible looking draft
he did emphazie on building his team on speed and skill. However, I believe, Under Nonis they would have selected Kyle Beech because of his toughness and grit.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:25 AM
  #86
NCPokey
Registered User
 
NCPokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
It's a fifth round pick for crying out loud.

NCPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:43 AM
  #87
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
I'm surprised at the negativity with this pick. I don't know that he's the player I would have taken (that would have been Taylor Stefishen), but I think this is a pretty decent pick.

People complain about 'safe' picks and this is definitely a boom/bust type pick on a guy with top-6 upside. He's always had skill and skating ability, but was a perimeter player who wasn't willing to pay the price to get ugly goals. In the second half of last season, though, he seemed to 'get it' and was one of the best players in the WHL down the stretch.

He posted 18-23-41 with a +29 in his last 35 games. Pro-rate that over the full season, and he would have been top-10 in the WHL in goals and points, and would have led the WHL in +/-. The numbers he put up in the second half of the season were comparable or better than the 'name' WHL guys like Boychuk, Eberle, Ennis, and so on.

He has NHL skating ability and a pretty decent, stocky frame. He also sees the ice well and has above-average playmaking ability. If he continues to show the desire and determination he showed toward the end of last season, he'll develop into a very nice prospect for this team. If not, it was a decent risk to take.
I agree on pretty much all of this, and he's also the good old BC boy everyone is always raging about the Canucks needing to draft.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:45 AM
  #88
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino
 
SaucyNavel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,005
vCash: 500
would have been nice to have a 3rd and 4th round pick





Oh...and AgentNaslund....did you crap yourself?

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:51 AM
  #89
onphire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
I have no idea if this is a good pick or not but I just looked him up on Mckeens and the last thing they say about him is: "he should be a third round pick and is a potential steal if he slips past the fourth round". So obviously there are a few scouts around who seem to think this was not a bad pick up.

onphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:03 AM
  #90
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 12,188
vCash: 500
Just to further my previous point, here's a list of the leading draft-eligible WHL scorers over each of their final 36 games (1/2 the WHL season) :

Tyler Ennis - 22-27-49
Prab Rai - 18-23-41
Zach Boychuk - 18-23-41
Jordan Eberle - 18-18-36
Matt Calvert - 13-21-34
Mitch Wahl - 11-22-33
Kruise Reddick - 7-26-33

Kyle Beach - 10-14-24

Obviously he isn't as good as the guys who went in the first round, but when you get a guy in the 5th round who's keeping up with the elite players in his draft group over the final 3 months of the WHL season, I don't really see the reason for complaining.

If Rai had played the entire season the way he played the last three months, he goes in the first 2-3 rounds.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:43 AM
  #91
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,729
vCash: 500
I agree with MS on this one, it was a pretty good boom/bust pick to make in the 5th round. Hopefully the chance to play for his hometown will motivate him enough to continue to play like he did during the 2nd half of the season.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:49 AM
  #92
windflare
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz View Post
Considering I played in Surrey for three years with him and know his family quite well, I should add a few comments here.

For a while it looked as if Prabh's talent was going by the wayside but after a christmas break and a talk from his older brother he really stepped it up and had a phenomenal end to the year, and along with Bud Holloway was the top forward on the Thunderbirds.

He is fast, two steps and he's full speed, much like a Mason Raymond kind of fast, but he's stocky. He isn't tiny, his height might not be exactly right but he isn't "small" by any means.

If I had to throw out one severe deficiency in his game is that he doesn't shoot the puck. I think he had 24 assists before he even scored this season, and it's not because he doesn't have a good shot, he just doesn't shoot enough. He needs to become a bit more selfish with the puck and work on his consistency and we could potentially have a player.
Thanks Fedz! Always nice to get the perspective of someone really close in. He had 22 assists before he had a goal, and was 2-22-24 for the first half of the year before the last 36 games.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 04:01 AM
  #93
God
Free Citizen
 
God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
Interesting comments here... What, are only WASP names like "Smith" and "Hodgson" acceptable? Last I checked there are many in Canada from different backgrounds - not hard to expect some of them would take up hockey.

Abid has Persian background IIRC
You're East Indian, aren't you?

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 04:56 AM
  #94
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,753
vCash: 500
I agree with MS. I'm not blown away, but it's a 5th round pick, I don't expect to be. Everything I've read about the kid tells me that he has the ability to be a prospect and that 2nd line center is legitimately his upside. He could also be a Trevor Letowski type 4th liner. Or a career minor leaguer. Either way, for a 5th round pick, he's got enough potential. When it comes to late picks, I like boom or bust because safe players that fall that far lack ability.

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 05:51 AM
  #95
vcx*
 
vcx*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Penguins Fan
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPokey View Post
It's a fifth round pick for crying out loud.
Yeah and if there are any other fellow indo-canadians on here like myself, watch the amount of east indian posters here quadruple just by this pick on the canucks board touting him the next best thing since samosas, lol.

Whatever, i've always wanted to see a fellow east indian go first round and Malhotra did and he just barely stuck around, since then there have been hacks that had the speed and the better stats that are AHL filler at best. I see this guy as no different, friend or not to whomever.

Ajay Baines was 100x the player and he's a friend of mine and he never gets a shot, but sometimes it's just not in the cards for some. Wow i already have this guy pegged as done. Oh well.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 05:53 AM
  #96
vcx*
 
vcx*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Penguins Fan
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
You're East Indian, aren't you?
Yeah he is, as am i. He'll probably defend the guy, i won't though. I think MS is right, it's a 5th rounder, but 2nd line potential? lol...no chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I agree with MS. I'm not blown away, but it's a 5th round pick, I don't expect to be. Everything I've read about the kid tells me that he has the ability to be a prospect and that 2nd line center is legitimately his upside. He could also be a Trevor Letowski type 4th liner. Or a career minor leaguer. Either way, for a 5th round pick, he's got enough potential. When it comes to late picks, I like boom or bust because safe players that fall that far lack ability.
Career Minor Leaguer.

I'd put money on that, a hefty sum.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:03 PM
  #97
Free Torts
Registered User
 
Free Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,693
vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
I'm surprised at the negativity with this pick. I don't know that he's the player I would have taken (that would have been Taylor Stefishen), but I think this is a pretty decent pick.
Good to see I'm not the only one on this board who was hoping they'd take a stab at Stefishen. He didn't explode his year for the Chiefs like I had hoped, but the kid has all the tools to be a great pro - much like Rai, but he plays in a lower league.

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:11 PM
  #98
Burke's Evil Spirit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 15,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
Yeah he is, as am i. He'll probably defend the guy, i won't though. I think MS is right, it's a 5th rounder, but 2nd line potential? lol...no chance.



Career Minor Leaguer.

I'd put money on that, a hefty sum.
As opposed to all those sure-bet NHLers taken in the 5th round

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 04:15 PM
  #99
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,383
vCash: 500
I think his absolute top end potential will be sorta like what Mason Raymond was last season (not Mason Raymond's potential, just last season).

Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 04:38 PM
  #100
AgentNaslund*
 
AgentNaslund*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster81 View Post
would have been nice to have a 3rd and 4th round pick





Oh...and AgentNaslund....did you crap yourself?
after you did, sure.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.