HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs pushed hard for Deschamps

Old
06-22-2008, 08:26 AM
fredez

vCash: 500
Habs pushed hard for Deschamps

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...328/CPSPORTS01

Doug Wilson seemed to have serious talks with Gainey while he was talking with Calgary.

Habs tried to get the Trashers' 29th pick but the Trashers really wanted Daultan Leveille.

Habs then pushed for the 33rd or 34th pick but got shut down.

Timmins says Kristo was high on his list and he didn't think he would still be there. Compares him to Mike Fisher.

Timmins says they aimed more for homeruns type of picks.

Timmins says Trunev has shown interest go the CHL route.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Too bad we were not able to get him...at least, he seems to really like Kristo and Trunev. So close to get Deschamps!!! But at the same time, he was passed over in the first round by many teams. Maybe he's good, but not THAT good potential wise. Would still have been great to have him here!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 09:36 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Sucks. Oh well.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 09:49 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Hmmm Tanguay or Marleau?

Old
06-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Hmmm Tanguay or Marleau?
both

I think we should forget Sundin and go hard after a D,Redden or Campbell depending on how much they want

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 10:12 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
both

I think we should forget Sundin and go hard after a D,Redden or Campbell depending on how much they want
Kinda hard to forget about Sundin at this point

No thanks for Redden...for what he will command in salary, he wont be worth it.

As for campbell, we would end up tying up 7mil per season likely for the next 5-6 years if we were to lock him up. Thats close to 20 million for 3 Dmen...Remember what happened in Toronto?

Old
06-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Kinda hard to forget about Sundin at this point

No thanks for Redden...for what he will command in salary, he wont be worth it.

As for campbell, we would end up tying up 7mil per season likely for the next 5-6 years if we were to lock him up. Thats close to 20 million for 3 Dmen...Remember what happened in Toronto?
Your right about Campbell I think he will be going around 6.5-7 a year and it's way too much.

Redden I just think needs out of Ottawa and is still not that bad of a D with IMO his value going down big time.I think we can get him at 4.5 or 5 million and to be honest I would rather have him at that much then Streit at 4 million a year.

Redden-Markov-Komi-Hamrlik,now that serious stuff

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 10:22 AM
kris
No JDru for TB - yet

We don't need another D-man unless it's of the Michael Roszival, Jason Smith, Brooks Orpik, Brad Stuart variety, and it HAS to be under 3 mil. We've got 11 mil in Markov - Hamrlik, plus we're going to need to sign Komisarek.

Markov - Komi
Hamrlik - O'Byrne / lower tier FA
Gorges - Boullion

Carle, Valentenko, Subban, Weber, McDonagh, Fischer, Emelin

I'd be shocked if one of those prospects doesn't make the team in 2 years, so we're set for both now and the future. Our top 4 + Gorges, barring something strange, should be locked up for a while, with bottom pairing D not that hard to find.

kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 10:23 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Your right about Campbell I think he will be going around 6.5-7 a year and it's way too much.

Redden I just think needs out of Ottawa and is still not that bad of a D with IMO his value going down big time.I think we can get him at 4.5 or 5 million and to be honest I would rather have him at that much then Streit at 4 million a year.

Redden-Markov-Komi-Hamrlik,now that serious stuff
I dont think an offensive D man is what we need. There is/will be enough firepower up front to compensate for a solid defensive platoon. Our blueliners are great at the transition game already so I dont think there is a dire need to pump major bucks at that corp...

Old
06-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Pedro McGuire*

Is anyone else really anoyed with how RDS is crying about montreal not getting any Quebequers? Its like all they can see is Quebec, Quebec, Quebec. they would rather the habs draft some loser quebequer than a GOOD player of any other kind. GRRR....

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bainey View Post
Is anyone else really anoyed with how RDS is crying about montreal not getting any Quebequers? Its like all they can see is Quebec, Quebec, Quebec. they would rather the habs draft some loser quebequer than a GOOD player of any other kind. GRRR....
I think everything has been said already about that topic. But as much some have the right to be annoyed by the fact that some want Quebecers, I also believe that people could also be annoyed for not having picked Q guys as well.

Like somebody said, it's pretty cool to have freedom of speech. Like somebody else said, it's also cool to listen to whoever you want.

Next topic please.........

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 11:34 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think everything has been said already about that topic. But as much some have the right to be annoyed by the fact that some want Quebecers, I also believe that people could also be annoyed for not having picked Q guys as well.

Like somebody said, it's pretty cool to have freedom of speech. Like somebody else said, it's also cool to listen to whoever you want.

dude, you know we all want to draft players from the Q. But we also happen to know that our habs have a list, and they draft the best players they can. Maybe they had a player from the Q ranked as their #34 and #36 on their list, but Kristo was their #35 and he was the highest ranked when they picked. Heck, maybe they had 15% of Q players on their list and only 5% of americans, but it happened this way because we had low picks. How can we really be pissed off or annoyed about it? That's how things work and Timmins said that the league he scouted the most was the lhjmq.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez View Post
Timmins says Kristo was high on his list and he didn't think he would still be there. Compares him to Mike Fisher.

Love it!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
How can we really be pissed off or annoyed about it? That's how things work and Timmins said that the league he scouted the most was the lhjmq.
I'm done being dissapointed about it. Still, like I said before for me it's not about french, english or even europeans for that matter, it's about the Q and the league I can and do watch a lot all year. So, I'm really sorry, but as much as I'm sure Morel and Boucher totally respect Timmins, I'm also pretty sure they were a little annoyed by the fact that it's possible that they pushed for some of the Q guys available and weren't able to sell it. It's happened in the past, it probably happened yesterday and it will happened next year. Chances are the WHL scout will feel the same way this year. Still, for the Q guys, 'cause that's the subject, 2 guys in 3 drafts ( 2 out of 20) is not that great of a record FOR THOSE GUYS and for Q followers like I am. That's all. Nobody's calling for Timmins head, nobody's saying he's an *******, just that, AT THE MOMENT, there may be reasons to be dissapointed.

You do remember how Savard was dissapointed at the Price pick? Was he right? Of course not. But there are probably other instances where a scout was dissapointed to not see his guy taken, his guy wasn't and it ended up a bad decision after all. Have you watch the 2007 draft behind the scenes show with the St-Louis crew? The scout that was pulling so hard for the Blues to take Perron while others weren't so convinced and almost look dissapointed by their friend's interest in Perron. Well on the stage, prior to the pick, was it Pleau who said to the scout "Are you happy big man?" to the guy who had finally won his point to go for Perron.....So just a proof that scouts are either happy or dissapointed. As Q scouts, you want to proof that you're good and that your team believe in your choices. And since we keep hearing that the draft is a crapshoot, well I find it entirely possible that a Q scout would think "How about you "crapshoot" on my guy???....

Now that we've moved on, everything is fine. Decisions were made. I'm not sure I believe Timmins for saying that incredibly ALL the players we've wanted were all taken before it was our turn 'cause like most of you said, he goes for the BPA and probably didn't have faith in the Q guys this year but just can't say that to the press. That's my belief. I would just hope that Timmins, while he can't say to the Q that they suck, that he and Gainey stops saying that they'll do everything they can to pick some. 'Cause even, and that I believe it, if they tried to go for Deschamps, I really thought they had said that there were several Q players that were interested. And now that we also know that Paquette was never one of them despite earlier reports that he was in love with him, I don't think there was too many guys that interested him in the first place and that's OK.

Old
06-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

It's one thing to have freedom of speech and it's another to bring back the same stupid topic every time on TV. This is a sports channel, they have the privilege to be on TV, so hiring a bunch of clowns that keep crying about the same stupid point is very dumb.

Not to mention, Gainey got ALEX TANGUAY, that is already an accomplished player in the NHL and is better than any Q guy we could have drafted.

All in all, its just some crappy reporting once again on rds.
That channel is pathetic and I can't believe it is the sister channel of TSN.

And to be quite honest, there were a lot of teams drafting in the first round, habs not being one of them, yet no player from the Q was chosen.
If anything, rds should be questioning how bad the Q is becoming rather than crying about the Habs not choosing any queb.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 11:54 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bainey View Post
I agree with you and i am a French Canadian, the bias for Quebec must stop, we need the best player available, not the homer choice.

We are close to be a really serious contender, i do not care if we have so few ppl from Quebec in the team as long as we win and see good plays.

Edit : I want to see more highlight goals like what AK46 did in the next season, that is what turn me on. Winning is good but i do not want a Devils boring style... If we still go in the same direction next season will be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It's one thing to have freedom of speech and it's another to bring back the same stupid topic every time on TV. This is a sports channel, they have the privilege to be on TV, so hiring a bunch of clowns that keep crying about the same stupid point is very dumb.

Not to mention, Gainey got ALEX TANGUAY, that is already an accomplished player in the NHL and is better than any Q guy we could have drafted.

Objectivity is the big flaw of RDS...

See : CBC with the Leafs bias...

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-22-2008 at 06:05 PM.
ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:18 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
I agree with you and i am a French Canadian, the bias for Quebec must stop, we need the best player available, not the homer choice.

We are close to be a really serious contender, i do not care if we have so few ppl from Quebec in the team as long as we win and see good plays.

Edit : I want to see more highlight goals like what AK46 did in the next season, that is what turn me on. Winning is good but i do not want a Devils boring style... If we still go in the same direction next season will be awesome.
All others things being close the Habs should pick from the Q. Fans desrve to see hometown boys. The Habs had a shot at Bergeron and flubbed it. Where the Habs go wrong is choosing slower skaters. It sometimes appears that many fans dont appreciate skating. If the player is a great skater that is one huge obstacle to overcome. That is Gainey's plan going forward as he has said so many times. Bergeron was a great skater and is a home area boy who can communicate with the media. In my mind a player like Wick, Chip are wasted picks unless in later rounds. Savard (actually Paul Coffey was the man that year, another fantastic skater), Chip, Bilideau etc were wasted picks. A pick like Jose Charbonneau didnt turn out but IMHO he was a great choice. The Oilers chose great skaters in 1979 and 1980 and ended up with Anderson, Messier and Coffey. Sather then switched to slowpokes and developed nothing much. The Q produces great skaters and so should be given a lil more emphasis. As for grit there are few plyers more courageous than Lafleur, Richard and Lemieux. They just are not western farmboy goofballs that put machismo first and they turned it up for the playoffs. One defining feature of the Francophone players in the past was pride in winning in the playoffs and turning it up accordingly. We can sound like Don Cherry when we assume Tanguay is less gritty than Joe Sakic. Tang is better defensively in my opinion. The other approach the Habs can take is to choose who they believe is the BPA but trade for francophones. At the price of tickets now the fans deserve some homegrown talent and players who can communicate with the media.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:19 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
I'm done being dissapointed about it. Still, like I said before for me it's not about french, english or even europeans for that matter, it's about the Q and the league I can and do watch a lot all year. So, I'm really sorry, but as much as I'm sure Morel and Boucher totally respect Timmins, I'm also pretty sure they were a little annoyed by the fact that it's possible that they pushed for some of the Q guys available and weren't able to sell it. It's happened in the past, it probably happened yesterday and it will happened next year. Chances are the WHL scout will feel the same way this year. Still, for the Q guys, 'cause that's the subject, 2 guys in 3 drafts ( 2 out of 20) is not that great of a record FOR THOSE GUYS and for Q followers like I am. That's all. Nobody's calling for Timmins head, nobody's saying he's an *******, just that, AT THE MOMENT, there may be reasons to be dissapointed.

You do remember how Savard was dissapointed at the Price pick? Was he right? Of course not. But there are probably other instances where a scout was dissapointed to not see his guy taken, his guy wasn't and it ended up a bad decision after all. Have you watch the 2007 draft behind the scenes show with the St-Louis crew? The scout that was pulling so hard for the Blues to take Perron while others weren't so convinced and almost look dissapointed by their friend's interest in Perron. Well on the stage, prior to the pick, was it Pleau who said to the scout "Are you happy big man?" to the guy who had finally won his point to go for Perron.....So just a proof that scouts are either happy or dissapointed. As Q scouts, you want to proof that you're good and that your team believe in your choices. And since we keep hearing that the draft is a crapshoot, well I find it entirely possible that a Q scout would think "How about you "crapshoot" on my guy???....

Now that we've moved on, everything is fine. Decisions were made. I'm not sure I believe Timmins for saying that incredibly ALL the players we've wanted were all taken before it was our turn 'cause like most of you said, he goes for the BPA and probably didn't have faith in the Q guys this year but just can't say that to the press. That's my belief. I would just hope that Timmins, while he can't say to the Q that they suck, that he and Gainey stops saying that they'll do everything they can to pick some. 'Cause even, and that I believe it, if they tried to go for Deschamps, I really thought they had said that there were several Q players that were interested. And now that we also know that Paquette was never one of them despite earlier reports that he was in love with him, I don't think there was too many guys that interested him in the first place and that's OK.
Maybe they actually sold their players very well and they were high on our list, but we couldn't draft them because they were not available. Maybe they were all gone once came our 86th overall pick???

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:22 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:

I agree that the return of firewagon hockey will be awesome. I would like to see a good shutdown line however. Lap, Begin could be key pieces. Kots played within his limitations. Holik would be a great center but too pricey. Maybe Chip can pick up his skating.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:26 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:

Try to convince me that the last two picks yesterday - the giant goalie and the smallish American kid - are better players than some available guys in the Q - and I am not saying that they have to be born in Quebec - just playing wherever in the Q !

Colorado and Buffalo were "able" to find three each ! Anaheim, Toronto and New-jersey, two each...

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

And to be quite honest, there were a lot of teams drafting in the first round, habs not being one of them, yet no player from the Q was chosen.
If anything, rds should be questioning how bad the Q is becoming rather than crying about the Habs not choosing any queb.
For the record, I hated the show Therrien and even Gélinas gave yesterday. It was truly unprofessionnal. Still, I'm not surprised. As far as the crying over no quebecers, La Zone did talk about it and even 110%. Luckily, Habs had no pick so it couldn't be put on their shoulders, so they had no choice but discussing it.

Thing is, at 25, with Gustafsson gone, I would have expected the Habs to go for Deschamps so I would have been disspointed. Carlson, Trivino, Nemisz, Ness would have been the only guys we could've aimed for instead. But even with those names, Deschamps was the most interesting for me.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:

It's also pretty cool to have discussion and debates, opinions can change; freedom of speech to say whatever you want and not be able to discuss it is realy annoying.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Maybe they actually sold their players very well and they were high on our list, but we couldn't draft them because they were not available. Maybe they were all gone once came our 86th overall pick???
Sure, it is entirely possible as well. I just doubt that it happened on every pick. It could happen, I doubt it. Though now that we know that Paquette was not in our plans, I really thought at the time that as much as the Habs seemed to have fought hard for Deschamps even if they were picking only 56th, did they fought that hard for a guy like Cormier who was picked just 2 ranks before? I could see the Habs being interested in Sauvé, but even there, I really think Kristo was ahead of him 'cause of his offensive abilities and so be it. Again, Kristo should not be discussed here, I even predicted the Habs would have picked him in the 1st round....

In the 3rd round, what Q players were picked ahead of Qualier? Paquette, Bourdon, Brodeur and Cousineau. I don't believe Timmins was interested in any of those guys 'cause of their skating issues. And I'm pretty sure they had no plans in taking a goalie that early especially not for Cousineau. But Groulx would have been a really nice pick.

In the 4th, everybody before Missiaen have some skating issues as well, Tessier, Delisle maybe they would have went for the homerun in Stefanovitch, that I agree but he was gone. But Poulin could have been just as a homerun type of pick than Missiaen was. Same for Cornet and Lagacé. Honestly, that 4th pick might be the one that is more problematic for me, knowing who was there and who we picked.

In the 5th, Timmins said that Trunev was THE pick they wanted when they saw he wasn't taken. So I will not believe that in that round, the Q players they wanted was taken. Trunev was their guy.

In the 7th, it is possible that Morneau and Bérubé were of some kind of interest. But I also believe players that weren't chosen would have been just as good as well.

Anyway, that my take on what I think and what I think their thought process is. I'm not on the inside but knowing that Timmins feels that feet speed is a major issue and that the NHL is all about speed and skill, I just don't believe the Q guys were able to sell 'cause Timmins might have had some reservations about them all along.

Reason why I say that I don't buy his "they were all gone before we picked". Still it could very well be it......Just an opinion.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:48 PM
SuperUnknown

I would have liked Montreal to pick up Maxime Sauve. I was hoping he'd last until our second round pick. Can't blame the Habs too much, as Quebec players weren't that good this year.

Maybe we could have used our 4th pick for Philippe Cornet, but can't blame Montreal for waiting to pick him up with a 5th.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:03 PM
LyricalLyricist

Reality is, the Q gets worse and worse every year. OHL dominated the first round and for all i know the rest as well. There's no one to draft from the Q, and we only had 5 picks. We choose the BPA and that clearly wasn't a QMJHL player, only player i am a little dissapointed to see us skip is stefanovich, who was drafted in the 4th round, 98th overall by...toronto.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote