HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Given Ok To Talk To Campbell

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2008, 04:20 PM
  #51
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
We need a top-pairing defenseman, but the only available ones will be for gross overpayments. That being said, we have 3/4 of our top 4 signed to reasonable contracts. We are also already overpaying a bottom pair guy (Backs).

We do NOT need Orpik, unless we both waive Backs, and skimp on our top pair guy. I'm completely comfortable with the former, but not so much on the latter.

Campbell MIGHT work out, but the term is what will be even scarier than the amount. Six or seven mill for six or seven years? No thank you.

I firmly believe our best option would be:

Staal - Kubina (for a fair trade)
Toots - Girardi
Potter - Backman (or waive/trade him and replace him with a cheaper option)
I would prefer Bouwmeester but given his age and lesser talent, Kubina may be the more affordable option. Getting Bouwmeester will surely cost us our 1st next year but for him, I think I could live with that. I don't think we'll suck so much that we'll find ourselves missing out on a Tavares type of player.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 04:27 PM
  #52
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 500
Sather has remolded this team into one that is actually competitive (unlike the previous 8 years before the lockout), but has obvious deficiencies and as soon as he does anything to try to address those deficiencies, people are all over him. A lot of the sideline/paper-GMs on this board are sitting around trying to figure out how to upgrade this team's offensive potential from the backend, yet since this is HF, only by not giving up any youth or, seemingly even worse, limiting the chances of a young player making the team... not this year, but next year (and perhaps not at all, since we're talking about prospects here).

Campbell fills a glaring hole on this team and is no worse defensively than Roszival or Malik, both of whom have seen major time on a team that's been one of the best defensively for the last 2 years. Malik was replaced by Backman, who I think we'll all agree was actually no better. The Rangers' system would make Campbell look like a better defensive player than he actually is and that would be fine with me. The guy was the 4th best offensive defenseman in the league last year, in which he spent most of the season on a team without an enormous amount of offense.

The price tag on the guy isn't as exorbitant as you guys make it seem. When the highest scoring defenseman last year had 70 points, maybe we need to realize that defensemen aren't going to score a point per game, and definitely not anywhere near 100 points, like they did in the past. The game has changed and their responsibilities are too great. The guy is going to get top D salary because he's a one of the top D in the league.

Sather knows what he's doing. Admittedly, I don't think that he expected to land both Gomez and Drury last year and was thus surprised to sign them both to the deals they did, but he's not going after that type of player this year. We need to move on from the Jagr era. Signing Campbell and some players to complement the core they have is doing just that.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 04:28 PM
  #53
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,564
vCash: 500
I have no idea how much of any of this is posturing. My guess is most of it.

The one thing I will say is that I highly doubt that we'll see any one of the FAs sign before 7/1, unless it's for an undermarket deal where the player is giving a discount to the team he wants to join.

Because if a player wants to sign a max dollar contract, coming off the market to one of the limited teams who've been given the right to negotiate in advance of the FA period, is limiting his leverage - and, frankly, a bad strategy if your goal is to get the best contract.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 04:36 PM
  #54
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Sather has remolded this team into one that is actually competitive (unlike the previous 8 years before the lockout), but has obvious deficiencies and as soon as he does anything to try to address those deficiencies, people are all over him. A lot of the sideline/paper-GMs on this board are sitting around trying to figure out how to upgrade this team's offensive potential from the backend, yet since this is HF, only by not giving up any youth or, seemingly even worse, limiting the chances of a young player making the team... not this year, but next year (and perhaps not at all, since we're talking about prospects here).

Campbell fills a glaring hole on this team and is no worse defensively than Roszival or Malik, both of whom have seen major time on a team that's been one of the best defensively for the last 2 years. Malik was replaced by Backman, who I think we'll all agree was actually no better. The Rangers' system would make Campbell look like a better defensive player than he actually is and that would be fine with me. The guy was the 4th best offensive defenseman in the league last year, in which he spent most of the season on a team without an enormous amount of offense.

The price tag on the guy isn't as exorbitant as you guys make it seem. When the highest scoring defenseman last year had 70 points, maybe we need to realize that defensemen aren't going to score a point per game, and definitely not anywhere near 100 points, like they did in the past. The game has changed and their responsibilities are too great. The guy is going to get top D salary because he's a one of the top D in the league.

Sather knows what he's doing. Admittedly, I don't think that he expected to land both Gomez and Drury last year and was thus surprised to sign them both to the deals they did, but he's not going after that type of player this year. We need to move on from the Jagr era. Signing Campbell and some players to complement the core they have is doing just that.
see, my argument is that the forwards are having to go to deep in the zoe to help the defense..it doesnt help if the supposed #1 defenseman cant handle defensive responsibilities...i dont think he would have HUGE impact on a team that needs an elite passer, not a skating defenseman as the forwards have the speed and skill to play a counter-attacking style.....BTW, it was being talkied about that he wants 8 million a year for 6-7 years at least and the asking price will only go up because people think he is exactly what you said...a legitimate #1 defenseman in his prime when he is not...he is a below average #2 and a good #3

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 04:47 PM
  #55
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
see, my argument is that the forwards are having to go to deep in the zoe to help the defense..it doesnt help if the supposed #1 defenseman cant handle defensive responsibilities...i dont think he would have HUGE impact on a team that needs an elite passer, not a skating defenseman as the forwards have the speed and skill to play a counter-attacking style.....BTW, it was being talkied about that he wants 8 million a year for 6-7 years at least and the asking price will only go up because people think he is exactly what you said...a legitimate #1 defenseman in his prime when he is not...he is a below average #2 and a good #3
Oh god, give me a break. Everything about his play the last few years belies the idea that he is somewhere between a 2 and 3 defenseman. His assist totals certainly bely the idea that he's not an elite passer. And he fit in perfectly on Buffalo, who plays/played a very similar offensive style to what the Rangers play now. Besides, he likely won't get 8mil anyway, more like 7.

As for your first point about going deep into the zone, that's all well and good but when you're talking about upgrading offensively and staying equal defensively (e.g. the difference between Roszival and Campbell), how does that argument even have merit? Chances are, if the Rangers can't land Campbell, Roszival is going to be back. All you are doing by going with one over the other is upgrading the team's offensive firepower.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 04:51 PM
  #56
pmorris
Registered User
 
pmorris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC Area
Country: United States
Posts: 654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Please no. I would rather have Ovechkin.
As would everyone else in the NHL.

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 05:11 PM
  #57
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Oh god, give me a break. Everything about his play the last few years belies the idea that he is somewhere between a 2 and 3 defenseman. His assist totals certainly bely the idea that he's not an elite passer. And he fit in perfectly on Buffalo, who plays/played a very similar offensive style to what the Rangers play now. Besides, he likely won't get 8mil anyway, more like 7.

As for your first point about going deep into the zone, that's all well and good but when you're talking about upgrading offensively and staying equal defensively (e.g. the difference between Roszival and Campbell), how does that argument even have merit? Chances are, if the Rangers can't land Campbell, Roszival is going to be back. All you are doing by going with one over the other is upgrading the team's offensive firepower.
he didnt play on buffalos top pairing....he didnt play against other teams best players if everyone was healthy....lydman and tallinder did....he had sooooo many assists because of their powerplay and the fact that they played a run and gun style....there offense is nothing like the rangers who stress defense and patience while the sabres dont......is campbell better than rozsival.....yes.....is he worth 8 million(which is what he will get) and even is he gets 7.5 or 7(which he wont) he will want 7-8 years like gomez and hossa want/wanted and will not be worth it....BIG PASS

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 05:38 PM
  #58
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,688
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
he didnt play on buffalos top pairing....he didnt play against other teams best players if everyone was healthy....lydman and tallinder did....he had sooooo many assists because of their powerplay and the fact that they played a run and gun style....there offense is nothing like the rangers who stress defense and patience while the sabres dont......is campbell better than rozsival.....yes.....is he worth 8 million(which is what he will get) and even is he gets 7.5 or 7(which he wont) he will want 7-8 years like gomez and hossa want/wanted and will not be worth it....BIG PASS
signing Campbell would be an awful move IMO, but he and Spacek did play against other teams top lines for most of the season.

__________________


Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 05:52 PM
  #59
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Yep. If Campbell gets 7M from us it will be the biggest blunder since, well, last season when he signed Drury.
I I I I I love it

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 06:14 PM
  #60
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,169
vCash: 500
PASS... If you're going to invest big bucks on a defenseman, it HAS to be a defensive defenseman....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 06:27 PM
  #61
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,688
vCash: 500
Please people, they needed to fix the PP and this will

one of the best in the game and still young....go for it!!

Campbell, Staal
Tyutin, Girardi
Potter, ........ , ....... Pock, Hutchinson?

I figure Prucha and Backman's salaries need to go for a tough Dman to fill the other spot

I also would not be surprised if Backman goes the other way for Campbell's rights

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 06:30 PM
  #62
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,631
vCash: 500
I really like the guy, but he will be too much for too long.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 06:30 PM
  #63
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 10,082
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
PASS... If you're going to invest big bucks on a defenseman, it HAS to be a defensive defenseman....
I disagree and here is my reasoning.

Without an offensive threat or a good puck moving defenseman.... your forwards have a ton of pressure on them to always pull through by themselves. If they lay an egg you lose. I don't care how good your defense is ... even allowing one goal makes your offense have to score two to win. We saw this year the inability for the Rangers to score with their forwards.

How many games this year, primarily early on, did we win/SO Win because of goals from Girardi or Roszival? Plenty.

Point being if you rely to heavily on your forwards to create their own chances and score all the goals your team is going to suffer. You need offense from the blue line.

For instance Detroit had 3 defenseman with 30 or more pts this season (one with 70 and one with 55). Our team had 1 and that was Roszival (38) whom is a free agent.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 06:39 PM
  #64
polako
Registered User
 
polako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 1,178
vCash: 500
Hey Slats, how about you forget about talking with Brian Campbell and start talking to your own free agents, namely Jagr and Avery.

Just a question, with Chris Drury's and Brian Campbell's apparent good friendship, are we going to start complaining about the NYR accomodating Drury, Drury's influence on roster moves, and a NA player conspiracy?? I'd LOVE to be on the other side of the argument now

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 06:51 PM
  #65
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Please people, they needed to fix the PP and this will

one of the best in the game and still young....go for it!!

Campbell, Staal
Tyutin, Girardi
Potter, ........ , ....... Pock, Hutchinson?

I figure Prucha and Backman's salaries need to go for a tough Dman to fill the other spot

I also would not be surprised if Backman goes the other way for Campbell's rights

No it won't, because we won't have any real top 6 forwards playing in the PP since nobody is being resigned. Or we will have a whole new team and no chemistry.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 06:56 PM
  #66
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,545
vCash: 500
I say sign him, and dont wait for July 1st. Do it now

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 06:57 PM
  #67
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
I say sign him, and dont wait for July 1st. Do it now
i cant tell your a Sharks fan or anything

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:01 PM
  #68
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
No it won't, because we won't have any real top 6 forwards playing in the PP since nobody is being resigned. Or we will have a whole new team and no chemistry.
Campbell will likely take a bit of a discount to play in the East , stay in the state of NY and play with Drury

I agree sign Jagr.............Avery I hope but he is likely gone

they have ways to shed salary with Prucha and Backman

I think they could load up the top two lines and move Drury to Gomez wing

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:06 PM
  #69
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
i cant tell your a Sharks fan or anything
I have been outted

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:09 PM
  #70
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella
 
Carlos Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 50
giving him a long term deal would be a mistake, but it'll be even worse if we have to give up a 2nd or 3rd due to early negotiation. Stay away Slats, I'd rather rush Sanguinetti than hedge our bets with Campbell.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:12 PM
  #71
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
giving him a long term deal would be a mistake, but it'll be even worse if we have to give up a 2nd or 3rd due to early negotiation. Stay away Slats, I'd rather rush Sanguinetti than hedge our bets with Campbell.
No, sign him now, quick!

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:16 PM
  #72
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,545
vCash: 500
Well with the Sharks, he helped the PP a lot. He was decent in his own zone but often times he made bad decisions. He also tried his spin-o-rama wayyyyy too many times

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:24 PM
  #73
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
I say sign him, and dont wait for July 1st. Do it now
You'll quickly change your tune when we send you Backman for Campbell's rights

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:31 PM
  #74
battlerex99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Wait for July 1st, then sign the guy. He's a talent. A proven talent. Plus, signing him not only improves our D, but also will help our forwards immensely.

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:32 PM
  #75
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
You'll quickly change your tune when we send you Backman for Campbell's rights
Hey! No! lol How the hell is that guy earning 3.4 next year?

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.