HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers transition game and offense

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2008, 04:34 PM
  #101
ratmanfu
Registered User
 
ratmanfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,451
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaebriel View Post
Today's secret word is: Hyperbole.
No fair. I said that the other day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
Hyperbole seems to be the main dish being served here tonight.

Yes, this trade isn't what any of us (or even Pheonix fans) ever expected, but it's not as brutal as it appears on the surface. There are obviouly a lot of "ifs" to take into consideration here:

If Olli returns to form.

If Ballard fulfills his potential.

If Boynton returns to form (circa his Bruins stint).

If Martin has other deals in the works.

Like I said, I'm not thrilled, but it is nothing like the devastating return the Luongo trade brought us.

ratmanfu is online now  
Old
06-22-2008, 04:35 PM
  #102
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
That has nothing to do with what we were looking at to spend before the Olli trade, which is virtually the same as it is now. You're completely dodging the original argument and it's making you look lame to anyone who is reading through this thread. Just give up this point now and save at least a little face.
sigh,


What? Dodging what? You can't stay on topic.

The Boynton cap space is unnecessary and expensive for what it is worth. Admit that.

Save face? What?

There has been an influx of smart posters who surely agree with me. I'm hardly concerned about what hoax and you think of me on an anonymous message board.LOL ROFL

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 04:37 PM
  #103
hoax15
Registered User
 
hoax15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
sigh,


What? Dodging what? You can't stay on topic.

The Boynton cap space is unnecessary and expensive for what it is worth. Admit that.

Save face? What?

There has been an influx of smart posters who surely agree with me. I'm hardly concerned about what hoax and you think of me on an anonymous message board.LOL ROFL
Our plan was to fix our defence, we fixed withOUT adding cap space. WE ARE FINE. You seem to think we are going to be last in the league because we have no offense. Its a NEW nhl dude and hard work and good character pays off. We got that by the ******** now and we still have money to move around with.

hoax15 is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 04:41 PM
  #104
Gaebriel
Registered User
 
Gaebriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
No fair. I said that the other day...
Maybe I should have said "this week's secret word".

Gaebriel is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 04:41 PM
  #105
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Our plan was to fix our defence, we fixed withOUT adding cap space. WE ARE FINE. You seem to think we are going to be last in the league because we have no offense. Its a NEW nhl dude and hard work and good character pays off. We got that by the ******** now and we still have money to move around with.
We aren't fine. We have too much money tied up in Defense. Van Ryn and Boynton are expensive wastes. Maybe you forgot we have something called a SALARY CAP!

The old nhl rewarded hard work and good character as well. The NHL rewards skill over grit.

We don't have that much money to move around. According to NHLNUMBERS we are 15 million under the cap without Kreps, Campbell, Olesz, Matthias, Frolik, Belak and Bouw. Hardly a nice bank roll to play around with.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 04:42 PM
  #106
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Should say the new nhl rewards skill more than grit.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 04:43 PM
  #107
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Sigh.

Brylin, Madden, Pandalfo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any 3 Panthers

Please, Matthias may be good in a couple of years but he still needs to fill out. He'll get pushed around by men, remember he is still a boy.

Its not people arguing for me as I have done an excellent job refuting your delusional claims. It is just to show you that more people agree with me than with you. But go ahead and live in your fantasy world where the PAnthers have a great D and legit forwards. ROFL.

Notice how no one is backing up your points. People love to say I'm wrong but even my most ardent haters haven't picked your side because it is completely wrong. sorry, you're wrong.
Brylin is getting old and it's showing. He is NOT the same defensive player he was years ago. To say he is better defensively than any of our forwards is just laughable and proves that you don't watch any NJ games and you're talking completely out of your butt. Madden and Pando you can make a case for, although i disagree that Pando is without a doubt better than any of our forwards.

Matthias is 6'4" 212 lbs., maybe even bigger than that by the fall. He won't get pushed around by hardly anybody. He needs to improve his balance, but he won't get pushed around by hardly anybody less than around 6'0" and around 200 lbs., the NHL average.

As for the bolded part of your post, who could argue with that infallible logic!

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 04:44 PM
  #108
ratmanfu
Registered User
 
ratmanfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,451
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaebriel View Post
Maybe I should have said "this week's secret word".
It ain't no secret. This thing's been blown wide open.

ratmanfu is online now  
Old
06-22-2008, 04:44 PM
  #109
hoax15
Registered User
 
hoax15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
We aren't fine. We have too much money tied up in Defense. Van Ryn and Boynton are expensive wastes. Maybe you forgot we have something called a SALARY CAP!

The old nhl rewarded hard work and good character as well. The NHL rewards skill over grit.

We don't have that much money to move around. According to NHLNUMBERS we are 15 million under the cap without Kreps, Campbell, Olesz, Matthias, Frolik, Belak and Bouw. Hardly a nice bank roll to play around with.
Someone had a quote on detroit that said that all their stars on are defense that they want to pay them a lot of money, some 7 a year some 5 a year. Defense is working in the new NHL and JM is getting on top of that. Now with DeBoer adding aggressiveness and physical presences we should be a force.

hoax15 is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 04:47 PM
  #110
Anod
Registered User
 
Anod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Eh, I can guarantee he will get more than 7 million a year. Pitt has the potential to be the best team in the league for the foreseeable future.
Most players don't go to teams just because of how good the team may be down the road. There are many other factors that Marian Hossa would have to consider. Sometimes players go to cities that are warm, that they enjoy, where there friends are. I am not saying that he doesn't take into consideration the future of a franchise but I think many other things factor in.

Also take a look at the players making 7 million or more.

Ovechkin 9.5 >Hossa
Crosby 8.7 >Hossa
Richards 7.8 < Hossa (this was a very bad contract by TB)
Chara 7.5 >Hossa
Heatley 7.5>Hossa
Lidstrom 7.45>Hossa
Gomez 7.35=Hossa (also overpayment by NYR)
Thornton 7.2 >Hossa
Vanek 7.1<Hossa (gross overpayment)
Drury 7.0<Hossa (another Ranger Overpayment)
Iginla 7.0> Hossa

I would say Hossa will get no more than 7.2 million. As long as JM can get rid of one bad contract, he could be affordable.

Anod is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 04:48 PM
  #111
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Brylin is getting old and it's showing. He is NOT the same defensive player he was years ago. To say he is better defensively than any of our forwards is just laughable and proves that you don't watch any NJ games and you're talking completely out of your butt. Madden and Pando you can make a case for, although i disagree that Pando is without a doubt better than any of our forwards.

Matthias is 6'4" 212 lbs., maybe even bigger than that by the fall. He won't get pushed around by hardly anybody. He needs to improve his balance, but he won't get pushed around by hardly anybody less than around 6'0" and around 200 lbs., the NHL average.

As for the bolded part of your post, who could argue with that infallible logic!
O, looks who starts to concede some points yet is still a blind homer. Who is better defensively than Pandolfo? Weiss, no.
Madden is one of the best in the league, surely you can concede that. O wait, you're a blind homer.

Matthias just had mono. If you know anything it takes a toll on your body. I'm sure he is working hard to put the weight on but it is an uphill battle. People here like to think it is easy for a boy to compete with men. Guess what, it isn't. Putting on lean mass is really hard.

Go start a thread on the main boards. Do it. See what you get. ask about madden, pandalfo, and Brylin. Then ask about Ballard. Do it. O wait, you wont because you're afraid of a reality check because the hockey world agrees with me and would laugh in your face!

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 04:51 PM
  #112
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anod View Post
Most players don't go to teams just because of how good the team may be down the road. There are many other factors that Marian Hossa would have to consider. Sometimes players go to cities that are warm, that they enjoy, where there friends are. I am not saying that he doesn't take into consideration the future of a franchise but I think many other things factor in.

Also take a look at the players making 7 million or more.

Ovechkin 9.5 >Hossa
Crosby 8.7 >Hossa
Richards 7.8 < Hossa (this was a very bad contract by TB)
Chara 7.5 >Hossa
Heatley 7.5>Hossa
Lidstrom 7.45>Hossa
Gomez 7.35=Hossa (also overpayment by NYR)
Thornton 7.2 >Hossa
Vanek 7.1<Hossa (gross overpayment)
Drury 7.0<Hossa (another Ranger Overpayment)
Iginla 7.0> Hossa

I would say Hossa will get no more than 7.2 million. As long as JM can get rid of one bad contract, he could be affordable.
Eh, he is affordable somewhat, but he is the premier forward in this years UFA crop which makes his price go up. I agree that there are other things involved in picking a city to play in for the next 7 years.

I think someone will overpay. I'm not sure I would want Hossa at 8 years for 8 million. That is a long time. Even 7 for 7 is a long time.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 04:53 PM
  #113
Anod
Registered User
 
Anod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Eh, he is affordable somewhat, but he is the premier forward in this years UFA crop which makes his price go up. I agree that there are other things involved in picking a city to play in for the next 7 years.

I think someone will overpay. I'm not sure I would want Hossa at 8 years for 8 million. That is a long time. Even 7 for 7 is a long time.
What about 6.5 million for 10 years! We all know Cohen is willing to spend money on an ovechkin like contract.

Anod is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 04:54 PM
  #114
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anod View Post
What about 6.5 million for 10 years! We all know Cohen is willing to spend money on an ovechkin like contract.
10 years!??!?!? Way too long. I'm all about asset management. No way would I want Hossa in 7 years and still have him on the books for another 3.

Bouw I would sign for that.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 04:55 PM
  #115
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
sigh,


What? Dodging what? You can't stay on topic.

The Boynton cap space is unnecessary and expensive for what it is worth. Admit that.

Save face? What?

There has been an influx of smart posters who surely agree with me. I'm hardly concerned about what hoax and you think of me on an anonymous message board.LOL ROFL
The original argument you made was that Boynton's salary hinders us from going after a UFA forward, when actually, it doesn't at all. Yes, you are dodging that point. On a message board, your credibility is all you have. If you don't think anyone reading through this thread isn't laughing at you right now for not owning up to your posts and continually dodging your own argument, then you are really delusional.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 05:00 PM
  #116
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
The original argument you made was that Boynton's salary hinders us from going after a UFA forward, when actually, it doesn't at all. Yes, you are dodging that point. On a message board, your credibility is all you have. If you don't think anyone reading through this thread isn't laughing at you right now for not owning up to your posts and continually dodging your own argument, then you are really delusional.
Boynton does hinder us. Without Boynton we have 3 million more to go after a free agent forward or another d-man.

If they are laughing at me they would take joy in posting it but they know you are wrong. Sorry pal, if you're so confident then...
Go post on the main board and ask this, ask about the NJD players, and about Ballard.

It is simple. We have less money to spend. Without Boynton we have more. Boynton is unnecessary. Horrible management of cap space.HORRIBLE.

Again, go post about this, the NJD players, and ask about ballard!

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 05:01 PM
  #117
Tuco
Registered User
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
Well at this point I would like to thank everybody for the turnout today, my first ever thread seems to be a success if one only looks at the statistics - 5 pages in less than 12 hours. Humble thank you.

I do not know what topic all you guys are talking about though, I suppose the words defense and offense and Panthers are enough, so that everybody can bring out all they have on their chest. Which is fine aswell. No need for me to talk about the transition game now, let's get back to it when the camp starts.

Tuco is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 05:07 PM
  #118
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Matthias was fine on the days he was with us. Jokinen is a play-maker but he has a nasty slap shot. I still don't and its used by everyone else, so yet another thing people disagree with you on. Jokinen got a ****ing .43% face-off percentage, THAT SUCKS!
He's not NHL calibre because he sucks at face-offs is basically what you said...
lol Matthias still managed to get sent down despite scoring 2 goals in 4 games.....obviously his play wasn't on the same level the next two games. Sure he looked pretty good, but let's be honest. One goal went in off of his leg, the other was a skilled tip. In watching him, he's not as strong on his skates as he should be for his size at the NHL level. I saw him lose his balance a lot and obviously the guys are way stronger and faster up at this level. He has the raw ability to be a great player for us but he's very lanky still and has to get stronger himself.

To suggest Matthias can replace even half of what Jokinen brought at such a young age, still being raw, is very optimistic.

Haven't we learned our lesson with relying on the "kids" to "step it up" and bring offense? We've been relying on Weiss, Olesz, and Horton for the last 2 years. Only Horton has put up big numbers. We're always waiting and hoping for the stars to align. "IF" Bertuzzi had been healthy, "IF" we didn't have a bad November, etc... we would have been in the playoffs.......

The biggest IF of all of them is "If Matthias and Frolik can produce offense, we'll make the playoffs." Even if the older youngsters in Weiss and Horton can produce offense, we still need lots of secondary scoring, and I don't know if our prospects can even do that yet.

PanthersRule96 is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 05:10 PM
  #119
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
O, looks who starts to concede some points yet is still a blind homer. Who is better defensively than Pandolfo? Weiss, no.
Madden is one of the best in the league, surely you can concede that. O wait, you're a blind homer.

Matthias just had mono. If you know anything it takes a toll on your body. I'm sure he is working hard to put the weight on but it is an uphill battle. People here like to think it is easy for a boy to compete with men. Guess what, it isn't. Putting on lean mass is really hard.

Go start a thread on the main boards. Do it. See what you get. ask about madden, pandalfo, and Brylin. Then ask about Ballard. Do it. O wait, you wont because you're afraid of a reality check because the hockey world agrees with me and would laugh in your face!
When did I concede a point? I, unlike you, stick by my words. Weiss=Pandolfo and maybe Olesz as well. And I never said Madden wasn't one of the best in the league.

Yes, Matthias had mono and before that, he was an absolute dominant physical force against the best junior-aged players in the world in the WJC, and in the OHL as well. Watching him in the Memorial Cup, he seemed to be a little weaker and his balance on his skates seemed off. Yet he was still in the top 10 in tournament scoring. This summer I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to at least get back to where he was before he got mono. Even if he still gives away a few pounds, that's alright. He was 12 pounds over the NHL average before he got mono. And he isn't exactly a boy anymore. He's 20, he didn't just get drafted this weekend. He's at that stage now where he's ready to transition from being a boy to a man.

As for your bolded part, again, I laugh.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 05:13 PM
  #120
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Boynton does hinder us. Without Boynton we have 3 million more to go after a free agent forward or another d-man.
But that wasn't your original argument!!!

Whatever, it is clear you won't man up, so I'm not wasting anymore time arguing with a child.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 05:14 PM
  #121
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
When did I concede a point? I, unlike you, stick by my words. Weiss=Pandolfo and maybe Olesz as well. And I never said Madden wasn't one of the best in the league.

Yes, Matthias had mono and before that, he was an absolute dominant physical force against the best junior-aged players in the world in the WJC, and in the OHL as well. Watching him in the Memorial Cup, he seemed to be a little weaker and his balance on his skates seemed off. Yet he was still in the top 10 in tournament scoring. This summer I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to at least get back to where he was before he got mono. Even if he still gives away a few pounds, that's alright. He was 12 pounds over the NHL average before he got mono. And he isn't exactly a boy anymore. He's 20, he didn't just get drafted this weekend. He's at that stage now where he's ready to transition from being a boy to a man.

As for your bolded part, again, I laugh.
Pandolfo is better defensively than Weiss. So is Brylin and obviously Madden is. So NJD have significantly better defensive forwards.

20 is hardly 25. He is still young. See what Panthersrule96 posetd.

If you were so confident you would start a thread on the main boards. But you now you will get owned!

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 05:15 PM
  #122
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
But that wasn't your original argument!!!

Whatever, it is clear you won't man up, so I'm not wasting anymore time arguing with a child.
Tell me what my original argument is and i'll man up to your delusions, lol.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 05:21 PM
  #123
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Pandolfo is better defensively than Weiss. So is Brylin and obviously Madden is. So NJD have significantly better defensive forwards.

20 is hardly 25. He is still young. See what Panthersrule96 posetd.

If you were so confident you would start a thread on the main boards. But you now you will get owned!
You keep saying that Brylin is a better defensive forward than Weiss just proves to anyone who knows about the subject and is reading this that you have no idea what you're talking about. And you know what, that's good enough for me.

20 is young, yes, but still not "a boy". Again, you are dancing around the subject. Congrats, you are sad.

Anyone reading through this thread knows who won this debate.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 05:23 PM
  #124
PanthersFanatic12
Registered User
 
PanthersFanatic12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,530
vCash: 500
Some of you guys are so negative . I wont name names , but u know who u are. And we get your point , that the panthers offense is in deep trouble and we are destined to fail again next season . You dont need to keep driving that point home . And if other posters like to think positive , you dont have to try and knock them down . The negativity on this board, has been getting higher and higher . Lets wait till training camp to see , if JM got any fowards and evaluate the teams performance after they actually play a few season games.

We have weiss , horton , olesz , booth, to name a few and others who will be better . It remains to be seen but i believe our coach will bring the most out of our players and push them to the next level / closer to their potential .

PanthersFanatic12 is offline  
Old
06-22-2008, 05:25 PM
  #125
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Tell me what my original argument is and i'll man up to your delusions, lol.
I already have, repeatedly. Sorry, you now will be known on this board as a dishonest little child who doesn't man up when he's wrong. Enjoy.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.