HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Given Ok To Talk To Campbell

Old
06-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
Hey! No! lol How the hell is that guy earning 3.4 next year?
St. Louis signed him when he was young ......and he is only a 2.3 million cap hit but yea 3 plus in reality....averaged out

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
giving him a long term deal would be a mistake, but it'll be even worse if we have to give up a 2nd or 3rd due to early negotiation. Stay away Slats, I'd rather rush Sanguinetti than hedge our bets with Campbell.
He's obviously not staying away.........he's gonna sign........hopefully for a discount of 6 tops

Old
06-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Hey! No! lol How the hell is that guy earning 3.4 next year?
Holy ****! I didn't know he made that much. He'd probably be our 6th or 7th d-man.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Vitto79

Yea Sather is a dummy sometimes...............he has only one yr left though

And Malik and Mara are gondie

Anywho I see why everyone is flippin with Campbell but it solves the problem on D..........then they just need to sign or trade for a inexpensive bruiser.........and I am sure they kind find someone out there

Also Backman still has value and can be moved somewhere if they need to shed some salary.................Prucha also can go too if they need too and just let a cheaper prospect like Korpikoski hit the 3rd line

I think Jagr will be back but Avery may be gondie.............Tucker for real cheap if he gets released does make sense for a yr

Old
06-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
You'll quickly change your tune when we send you Backman for Campbell's rights
Oh wow. Done!

Campbell isn't the solution for our PP. We need a d-man who isn't necessarily a winger in disguise, but a competent two-way player with a big, accurate shot and the ability to make a break out pass. That's Bouwmeester, Weber or a Redden, not Campbell.

The other option is a puck mover like Liles, Hainsey or Streit who are more of the Campbell mold, but not nearly as expensive. That leaves some more space to sign a physical, defensive minded D-man like Orpik, Smith, Commodore, etc, etc.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Vitto79

his plus minus has been good every yr

I may be the only one on this threat but I think it's a good move if they sign him for 6 million per

And I think he will go for that to be a Ranger

Old
06-22-2008, 08:01 PM
alkurtz

I think Tawnos is spot on in his analysis.
The Rangers are in a bind on D for next year. If you let Malik, Roszival, and Mara go, and make a trade that includes Tyutin (for the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would want to do that), who exactly is going to play D next year? Staal, Girardi, Backman (ugh), and who else? Strudwick is a #7 at best, Baranka is gone, none of the other guys at Hartford are not ready. Would Campbell be overpaid? Absolutely, but it is the market we are working in.
I know one thing, I wouldn't touch Orpik. His value is high because of the advantageous situation he was in. Pay him big bucks, give him more responsibility on a lesser team, and he would revert to form and by mid season, the Garden faithful would be on him.
We're not going to spend the bulk of our available cap space on a big name free agent forward, our most pressing need, because there aren't any available. I don't want Hossa. Malone is the type of player we need size wise (another glaring weakness of this team), but like Orpik, his stats and value were inflated by who he is surrounded with. Would I sign him? Yeah, but he would be overpaid. If you could somewhow guarantee the Ralston would play at the level he did the last few years, he would be perfect. But the guy is at the stage where his skills will deteriorate and we would be locked in to a long term deal that would bring down the team. Ryder? I guess for a reasonable amount of money. Satan? No. Cheechoo...love his play but he is injury prone and not worth what he is making. Unless some big, big name shakes loose (Gaborik, Kovalchuk, etc), we need forwards. Right now Nigel Dawes (who I really like) is our #1 winger!
If we are going to let Rosy go, we must replace him with a quality D man. Thats an imperative. I know he had an inconsistent and disappointing 2nd half of the year, but I think he is underappreciated and valued.
I don't know what the next 10 days are going to bring. There is much uncertainty about this team and its makeup. I think Campbell brings a lot to the table. Just as the Rangers often didn't seem to have a #1 line last year (was it the one with Gomez, Jagr, Drury?), they often didn't seem to have a #1 D pairing. In our system Campbell would be fine and I have no problem signing him. No matter what we do, we are not an elite team next year. It will be a battle to make the playoffs with many other strong teams and I expect us to be in about the same position as this year.
Though things are unsettled, its kind of exciting. This is what makes being a fan interesting. So many questions, so little time....

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

I may be the only one on this threat but I think it's a good move if they sign him for 6 million per

I just think there are better alternatives at 6 mil per year. Redden, Bouwmeester and Weber all bring an offensive punch like Campbell does, but not at the expense of their defensive abilities.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:03 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Not happy the way this offseason is shaping up. Campbell is overrated and will be very overpaid.
Agree on the offseason.

ANd this is Sather we're talking about. He screwed up before the lockout, covered up his mistakes these past 3 seasons and now is back to his old tricks. I was shy about it, but I knew he'd pull his same crap one of these days. The guy is bum. Dolan doesn't know ****. "Oh, you won 5 cups with Gretz and Mess back in the day?, you're hired for life"

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I just think there are better alternatives at 6 mil per year. Redden, Bouwmeester and Weber all bring an offensive punch like Campbell does, but not at the expense of their defensive abilities.
With the last 2 though, you'd have to give up the money AND picks

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:

Yea his stats are respectable, but do you watch him play? He gets undressed by forwards almost every game.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:11 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

You'd also get better, younger players.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:16 PM
gmanwrx

No Campbell.....

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
I think Tawnos is spot on in his analysis.
The Rangers are in a bind on D for next year. If you let Malik, Roszival, and Mara go, and make a trade that includes Tyutin (for the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would want to do that), who exactly is going to play D next year? Staal, Girardi, Backman (ugh), and who else? Strudwick is a #7 at best, Baranka is gone, none of the other guys at Hartford are not ready. Would Campbell be overpaid? Absolutely, but it is the market we are working in.
I know one thing, I wouldn't touch Orpik. His value is high because of the advantageous situation he was in. Pay him big bucks, give him more responsibility on a lesser team, and he would revert to form and by mid season, the Garden faithful would be on him.
We're not going to spend the bulk of our available cap space on a big name free agent forward, our most pressing need, because there aren't any available. I don't want Hossa. Malone is the type of player we need size wise (another glaring weakness of this team), but like Orpik, his stats and value were inflated by who he is surrounded with. Would I sign him? Yeah, but he would be overpaid. If you could somewhow guarantee the Ralston would play at the level he did the last few years, he would be perfect. But the guy is at the stage where his skills will deteriorate and we would be locked in to a long term deal that would bring down the team. Ryder? I guess for a reasonable amount of money. Satan? No. Cheechoo...love his play but he is injury prone and not worth what he is making. Unless some big, big name shakes loose (Gaborik, Kovalchuk, etc), we need forwards. Right now Nigel Dawes (who I really like) is our #1 winger!
If we are going to let Rosy go, we must replace him with a quality D man. Thats an imperative. I know he had an inconsistent and disappointing 2nd half of the year, but I think he is underappreciated and valued.
I don't know what the next 10 days are going to bring. There is much uncertainty about this team and its makeup. I think Campbell brings a lot to the table. Just as the Rangers often didn't seem to have a #1 line last year (was it the one with Gomez, Jagr, Drury?), they often didn't seem to have a #1 D pairing. In our system Campbell would be fine and I have no problem signing him. No matter what we do, we are not an elite team next year. It will be a battle to make the playoffs with many other strong teams and I expect us to be in about the same position as this year.
Though things are unsettled, its kind of exciting. This is what makes being a fan interesting. So many questions, so little time....
Orpik was in an advantageous situation? Playing top pairing minutes with Gonchar who is terrible in his own end is a advantageous? That makes little sense. Orpik would not be given more responsibility in NY. If anything, he'd probably be playing fewer minutes on the 2nd pairing.

Cheechoo is injury prone? He had one season that was hampered by injuries (this one) and still mananged to put up almost as many goals as our leading goal scorers. Not to mention he has clearly shown the potential to be a very high scoring winger. 3mil per season for a guy who has put up a 56 goal season before he turns 28? I'd say he's earning every bit of that. I have no doubt that Cheechoo could be a consistent 30-40 goal scorer on Gomez's wing. And given our cap situation, his 3 mil hit is EXACTLY the type of salary we should be looking for.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
You'd also get better, younger players.
True, but anything less than $6.5 the teams probably would match and at that price is it worth paying them that money and giving up 2 1'st a 2nd and a 3rd?

Old
06-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Yea his stats are respectable, but do you watch him play? He gets undressed by forwards almost every game.
I don't watch him closely so maybe he does screw up on D sometimes but he also brings a offensive game the Rangers have'nt seen since Brian Leetch

What salary would Ranger fans be happy with if he does sign?

I think he will come for a discount and not 7 million that some think

Old
06-22-2008, 08:24 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
True, but anything less than $6.5 the teams probably would match and at that price is it worth paying them that money and giving up 2 1'st a 2nd and a 3rd?
You're talking two top-pairing D-men not even in their prime...IMO, I'd rather pay that type of player, as opposed to Campbell.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
You're talking two top-pairing D-men not even in their prime...IMO, I'd rather pay that type of player, as opposed to Campbell.
Well, go for it

Old
06-22-2008, 08:29 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Campbell is a top pairing dman in his prime and will be for the better part of the next decade.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Or players if we trade for them.

Frankly I'm not that concerned with losing picks if it means we sign a d-man who is 24 (JBo) or 22 (Weber). Not to mention they're both far beyond Campbell in terms of defensive ability.

If we could land one of those two, and possibly make a deal for Perry or Bernier, I'd be fine with making another move to try and replace some picks for next year.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Vitto79

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD03ut-iUzg

check this out........I guess Campbell can hit sometimes

Old
06-22-2008, 08:32 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Sign Him Sather You Imgrate!

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:32 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Or players if we trade for them.

Frankly I'm not that concerned with losing picks if it means we sign a d-man who is 24 (JBo) or 22 (Weber). Not to mention they're both far beyond Campbell in terms of defensive ability.

If we could land one of those two, and possibly make a deal for Perry or Bernier, I'd be fine with making another move to try and replace some picks for next year.
@ 6.5m thats 2 firsts a 2nd and a 3rd, that would kill our farm...the 09 draft is supposed to be awesomely deep. Also why would you want a dman long-term? we have a bunch of great dmen coming up who will be getting paid @ entry level...no player who's name isnt Phanuef or Johnson is worth that sorry.

Also - you plan on landing a corry perry without throwing picks anahiems way? Thats just outlandish

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:34 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Well, go for it
Frankly, it would be my 3rd option.

1) Sign Redden - perfect partner for Staal, can play the point on the PP, and just needs to get out of the mess that is Ottawa. Gives the Rangers a legitimate top pairing on D.

2) Trade for a similar, but, shorter contract like Souray, McCabe or Jovanovski. The Rangers can send salary back the other way to minimize the cap hit, and you get a bridge until the likes of Sanguinetti and Del Zotto are ready.

3) Trade for Weber or Bouwmeester and you have a partner for Staal and the bedrock of you defense for the next five years.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:34 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD03ut-iUzg

check this out........I guess Campbell can hit sometimes
meh, even Malik could have made that hit. Umberger had his head down for practically an hour.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote