HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I smell an Offer Sheet

Old
06-23-2008, 08:03 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I smell an Offer Sheet

Maybe it's just me, but if Sather was serious about wanting a player back I'd have to believe that he'd have had some serious discussions with the players agents about bringing them back.

As it is, Avery's about to walk, So to is Roszival, Mara, Malik and maybe Jagr.

He's in prime position to make a serious offer to a guy like Malkin.

10 years at 10 million per year is an offer that Pitt may not (want) let along be able to match.

Malkin is a Franchise center that you can build your team around.

I don't know but to me something seems fishy.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Cherepanov 71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but if Sather was serious about wanting a player back I'd have to believe that he'd have had some serious discussions with the players agents about bringing them back.

10 years at 10 million per year is an offer that Pitt may not (want) let along be able to match.

Malkin-10
Drury-7
Gomez-7
Lundqvist-6

That's 30 mil in 4 players and none of them play defense, salary cap hell.

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 08:13 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I see absolutely no reason for the Rangers to send an offer sheet to anyone.

If they do it, and actually succeed - We are looking at some big contracts on this team for the next 5 years. Thats not a position you want to be in.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 08:20 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

I think we are one year too early for an offer sheet for Malkin. He's an RFA after next season.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

Malkin has been quoted as saying he doesn't want more than what Crosby is making, so if Hossa is hitting the market, I have no doubt Shero will bend over backwards to get Malkin resigned before he can even take offersheets.

Offer sheets within the realm of possibility:
Vermette
Bernier
Weber

Less likely:
Perry
Bouwmeester (unless he takes a discount to be on a team with Pearn on staff)

Not a chance:
Malkin
Fleury (Can't anyway AFAIK, I believe they took him to arbitration)
Green

However, I just don't see Sather throwing out a sheet unless he has a plan to get a couple picks back with other moves. But, with the way this off-season is going so far, who the hell knows what's gonna happen?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 08:25 AM
eco's bones

I don't know--it would leave about enough money for one good free agent defenseman and probably mean 5 to 6 guys on Hartford last season make this years team. The other thing would be the loss of a number of 1st round picks to compensation--but Malkin might be worth it anyway. We'd have a lot younger team and a legit elite young superstar. I expect Pittsburgh would find a way to match whatever we offered though but would they ever hate us afterwards.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Cherepanov 71

I think a guy like Wolski is a much better target for an offer sheet.

Old
06-23-2008, 08:38 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I would prefer not taking that route. I like the parts that we have and think we can challenge for the Cup without spending 8 or 9 million on a marquee players through an OS.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Unless we can trade Gomez, it makes no sense to offer sheet Malkin, or any other forward really. I'd go after Perry or Bouwmeester, but neither would be over 6m, let alone 10 that you wanna throw at Malkin.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Cherepanisimov

hell no, we've already got about 20mil in 3 players(gomez, drury, lundqvist) and in a couple years we might have to match offer sheets to staal and dubinsky.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 09:07 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanov 71 View Post
I think a guy like Wolski is a much better target for an offer sheet.
It's hard to compare Wolski to Malkin. Obviously it would cost much less to get him, but he's not nearly the sure thing Malkin is.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Cherepanov 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
It's hard to compare Wolski to Malkin. Obviously it would cost much less to get him, but he's not nearly the sure thing Malkin is.
Of course, but Wolski is a good up and coming player who would cost less than half of the 10 proposed to throw at Malkin.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Celestial Black

Here's my breakdown of what I'd like to see:
Our free agents I would like to see signed - Jagr and Mara
UFA - Orpik mainly
RFA - Bouwmeester but I do not think we have the assets to acquire him

Honorable mentions: Weber, Vermette

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:01 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Probably to much $$$, would be painful to give the Pens all those assets in picks. Within the division......? There are other options. Not to mention Malkin was totally ineffective in the center stage of the Stanley Cup Finals.

06-23-2008, 10:20 AM
NYRangers17

I said this in another thread but i would love to land Bernier through offer sheet or trade. He's a young and big power forward RW who will go to the net and score goals and he shouldn't be to expensive. Don't really know his value so if anyone has an idea of what it would take offer sheet wise share your thoughts.

NYRangers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:36 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanov 71 View Post
Of course, but Wolski is a good up and coming player who would cost less than half of the 10 proposed to throw at Malkin.
And be worth 10% the value of. I'm not saying getting Malkin at 10 is the right move but I would probably do it if the opportunity presented itself. When you consider Malkin at 10 you really realize just how overpaid Drury is.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
And be worth 10% the value of. I'm not saying getting Malkin at 10 is the right move but I would probably do it if the opportunity presented itself. When you consider Malkin at 10 you really realize just how overpaid Drury is.

The only player I would love to see from the Pens become a Ranger is Staal. Orpik is a short term solution for our defense.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:41 AM
bogans

Seems about a year too early for this kind of talk, isn't it? I mean if we give Malkin an offer sheet now, the Pens would have over a year to decide whether or not to match it, seems like we are putting ourselves in a position of misinformation, eh?

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers17 View Post
I said this in another thread but i would love to land Bernier through offer sheet or trade. He's a young and big power forward RW who will go to the net and score goals and he shouldn't be to expensive. Don't really know his value so if anyone has an idea of what it would take offer sheet wise share your thoughts.
I agree. Both Perry and Bernier fill a very large hole on this team. There are some +/-'s to each though. Perry has shown more offensive ability than Bernier, but will be harder to acquire and more expensive. Bernier throws some big hits, but Perry plays the role of an agitator very well.

I think either would be a great to have in general, but especially useful if we're letting go of Avery.

If Niedermayer returns and resigning Perry becomes an issue for Burke, I think we have a leg up in the Perry sweepstakes. Slats and Burke are friends and I think Burke would much rather see Perry go to an eastern conference team than another western conference team.

Old
06-23-2008, 10:52 AM
NYRangers17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I agree. Both Perry and Bernier fill a very large hole on this team. There are some +/-'s to each though. Perry has shown more offensive ability than Bernier, but will be harder to acquire and more expensive. Bernier throws some big hits, but Perry plays the role of an agitator very well.

I think either would be a great to have in general, but especially useful if we're letting go of Avery.

If Niedermayer returns and resigning Perry becomes an issue for Burke, I think we have a leg up in the Perry sweepstakes. Slats and Burke are friends and I think Burke would much rather see Perry go to an eastern conference team than another western conference team.
exactly, i totaly agree. Do u have any idea or estimate about how much money it would take to get either of them via offer sheet?

NYRangers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:54 AM
NYR Viper

perry and vermette should be the top priorities on offense and boumeester should be the top priority on defense

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers17 View Post
exactly, i totaly agree. Do u have any idea or estimate about how much money it would take to get either of them via offer sheet?
Bernier will probably take somewhere in the 3.5 - 3.9, which is the 1st and a 3rd compensation bracket, but it depends on what Buffalo wants to do with him.

Perry is going to take quite a bit more. Probably 5+ million which has you teetering on 1st, 2nd and 3rd and 2 1sts and a 2nd and 3rd pick compensation.

I really don't see Sather offer sheeting anyone. I see trades being the more viable option. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the Ranger youth go out the door to fill in some holes.

Old
06-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
perry and vermette should be the top priorities on offense and boumeester should be the top priority on defense
Nice in theory, but we don't have the assets to land all of them. Unless Slats deals off some prospects to acquire another 1st round pick for next year, I think he'll make one trade.

If we could land any of Bouwmeester, Weber, Vermette, Bernier or Perry, I'd say thats a really good move by Sather.

After the draft day move, I think Florida would only move Bouwmeester for an impact forward, which we really don't have any of, unless they're really interested in Anisimov or Dubinsky.

Old
06-23-2008, 11:25 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Nice in theory, but we don't have the assets to land all of them. Unless Slats deals off some prospects to acquire another 1st round pick for next year, I think he'll make one trade.

If we could land any of Bouwmeester, Weber, Vermette, Bernier or Perry, I'd say thats a really good move by Sather.

After the draft day move, I think Florida would only move Bouwmeester for an impact forward, which we really don't have any of, unless they're really interested in Anisimov or Dubinsky.
i agree, i was just saying one of those players would be great...but i would rather trade than offer sheet

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:33 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

The offer sheet way is not the way to go, believe me. The Rangers have plenty of youth and prospects that are good trading chips than can be used to acquire a Perry or a Bouwmeester. See the title under my username for more clarification of my views

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote