HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Weber watns around 5 million

Old
06-06-2008, 02:25 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens fan in Toronto View Post
would it be possible Hamhuis or Zidlicky could be traded to make room for Weber/Suter's salary and open a roster spot to one of the youngeer guys?
Hamhuis isn't happening, but if Zidlicky is willing to waive that NTC of his, I could see it. I would hate to see him go because he finally seems to be finding his feet again after the shoulder injury late in '06, but he's a good value and could fetch a strong return.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Is it just me, because I'd bet that there would be 10+ GM's who would love to land Weber on an offersheet for significantly more than $5M? The number I saw thrown around was $5.8-6M would be the limit for 2x1st, 2nd, & 3rd round DP's and I guarantee you that Weber would get an offersheet at that level. If you can lock him up long term for $5M I think that you have to do that deal right flipping now.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:32 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Is it just me, because I'd bet that there would be 10+ GM's who would love to land Weber on an offersheet for significantly more than $5M? The number I saw thrown around was $5.8-6M would be the limit for 2x1st, 2nd, & 3rd round DP's and I guarantee you that Weber would get an offersheet at that level. If you can lock him up long term for $5M I think that you have to do that deal right flipping now.
I think after the Vanek ordeal, people are gonna be kinda loathe to throw out offer sheets that involve such gigantic dollar values on players that haven't established themselves. A guy like Bouwmeester will get that kind of money from an offer sheet, but not Weber.

Old
06-10-2008, 03:30 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I think after the Vanek ordeal, people are gonna be kinda loathe to throw out offer sheets that involve such gigantic dollar values on players that haven't established themselves. A guy like Bouwmeester will get that kind of money from an offer sheet, but not Weber.
Yes he will. Probably all 30 teams think Weber is that good now and will be in the future. Poile has stated that he will sign Weber and match offers. So if a team covets Weber so much to sign him to an offer sheet, then they are going to have to make it such a high amount that Nashville can't/won't be able to match it.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 01:31 PM
yohan1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
If we dont go long term, someone else will.
Yup. if he is unsigned july 1 i see him signing an offer sheet the 1st day of free agency. someone will offer him $5 - 5.5 million a year at 4-5 years guaranteed.

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
Yup. if he is unsigned july 1 i see him signing an offer sheet the 1st day of free agency. someone will offer him $5 - 5.5 million a year at 4-5 years guaranteed.
Which is an easy match for us....

06-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Which is an easy match for us....
I agree that SW's matched at any reasonable offer. I just don't think that Poile has the "conservative" option of a one or two year deal at $3-4M, and I guarantee you that someone will commit $5-6M pretty easily. Given that anything less than a $6.5 only gets NASH 2x 1st, 2nd & 3rd, if I'm Poile I'd jump at trying to lock him up long term @ $5-5.5M.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Street Hawk

Threshold Increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I agree that SW's matched at any reasonable offer. I just don't think that Poile has the "conservative" option of a one or two year deal at $3-4M, and I guarantee you that someone will commit $5-6M pretty easily. Given that anything less than a $6.5 only gets NASH 2x 1st, 2nd & 3rd, if I'm Poile I'd jump at trying to lock him up long term @ $5-5.5M.
Looks like the RFA numbers for player compensation went up about 11%, so it will take over 6.5 million per year to get 4 first rounders.

Basically, if Weber gets a Phaneuf contract (6.5 million), it's only 2 1sts, 1 2nd, 1 3rd. That's a trade a lot of GMs are willing to make.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think the point many fans made, and which is being overlooked and regarded as us undervaluing Weber, is that he simply was not anywhere close to a 5-6.5 million dollar player. He could be, but right now, he isn't (or I should say - wasn't).

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Street Hawk

Probably True..

Quote:
I think the point many fans made, and which is being overlooked and regarded as us undervaluing Weber, is that he simply was not anywhere close to a 5-6.5 million dollar player. He could be, but right now, he isn't (or I should say - wasn't).
However, other GMs who wish to make an offer sheet know that they have to pay more than what the player is currently worth to ensure that the Preds don't match.

Therefore, it is incumbant on the Preds to make Weber an offer that will get him to sign with them.

This is how the business of the NHL is done these days. You'll see a few more Offer Sheets simply because the group of UFAs is so small. Wasn't the case in the old days before the lockout. Everyone seems to be locking their to soon to be UFAs, making the available pool pretty small.

So, the option is then to consider RFA's. You owe compensation in terms of draft picks, but with the rising cap, the RFA compensation thresholds rise as well, and so you can have a deal worth 6.5 million per year that will only cost you 2 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd for a player under 25 who you can lock up for 5-8 years. It's something teams are going to consider.

Old
06-12-2008, 07:27 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
However, other GMs who wish to make an offer sheet know that they have to pay more than what the player is currently worth to ensure that the Preds don't match.

Therefore, it is incumbant on the Preds to make Weber an offer that will get him to sign with them.

This is how the business of the NHL is done these days. You'll see a few more Offer Sheets simply because the group of UFAs is so small. Wasn't the case in the old days before the lockout. Everyone seems to be locking their to soon to be UFAs, making the available pool pretty small.

So, the option is then to consider RFA's. You owe compensation in terms of draft picks, but with the rising cap, the RFA compensation thresholds rise as well, and so you can have a deal worth 6.5 million per year that will only cost you 2 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd for a player under 25 who you can lock up for 5-8 years. It's something teams are going to consider.
The question is, though, after the Penner fiasco (which it is a fiasco at this point because Penner has yet to live up to expectations and the Oilers threw away their first three draft picks in a stocked draft for him), will GMs still be willing to take a risk on severely overpaying a player that could very easily regress or not play to anything close to that contract at souch a young age?

I don't think Weber gets an offer sheet because GMs can't be certain which season was the aberration: 06/07 or 07/08.

Old
06-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Street Hawk

Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
The question is, though, after the Penner fiasco (which it is a fiasco at this point because Penner has yet to live up to expectations and the Oilers threw away their first three draft picks in a stocked draft for him), will GMs still be willing to take a risk on severely overpaying a player that could very easily regress or not play to anything close to that contract at souch a young age?

I don't think Weber gets an offer sheet because GMs can't be certain which season was the aberration: 06/07 or 07/08.
I don't think the Penner signing is going to make the GMs, who would consider an offer sheet, back away from them.

If you look at the 3 guys who got the Offer Sheets since the lockout, Kesler, Vanek, and Penner. Only Vanek, IMO, was worth the gamble, given his offensive skills of a 40 plus goal season. Of course, that was done when Briere and Drury were on the team.

Kesler's compensation was a 2nd round pick, so Vancouver had to match. Kesler is a 3rd line shut down checker. He struggled after the signing the offersheet. But, this past year, when his salary went down from 1.9 to 1.75, he scored 20 goals.

Penner, is a more raw player, not as polished. I expected his numbers this past season.

I think most GM's think highly of Weber. Injuries have set him back a bit, but I think the GMs who want to do the offer sheet probably rate his game a notch below Phaneuf. Is it a gamble to give Weber a big time contract, one worth a lot more than Brent Burns' 3.5 million per season over 4 years? Yeah, I would say that it is a slight gamble.

But, if you have the cap room and are prepared to give up the draft picks, then I think GM's will make the offer. It's about the player, but it's also about the player's teams situation. Are they close to the cap, do they have a self imposed cap? Again, the rise in the salary cap has increased the thresholds of RFA compensation. You have to have a deal worth more than Phaneuf's 6.5 million per season deal to get the 4 1st rounders. Something between 5.2 - 6.5 per year nets 2 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd. 3.9 - 5.2 per year net 1 1st, 2nd and 3rd. So, is giving Weber in the mid 5's that much off what Getzlaf, Nash, Richards signed for after their ELC?
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=523530

Nashville, they're dealing with this whole Boots situation. But, they also need to get to the salary cap floor or $40 million.

I don't expect there to be lots of offer sheets made. I think 2 or 3 is a number that could occur. Teams need to improve quickly and some teams are tight under the cap.

The ones I think are the most likely to be targeted are:
Philly with Carter because of they will be up against the cap salary cap. Richards new deal eats up a lot of the increase of the cap. Plus they have other players to re-sign as well. They can bury Hatcher's contract in the minors like they did with Gauthier this past year if they need to.
Weber, because of Nashville's ownership situation and self imposed salary cap is a target.

These guys have been mentioned, but I don't expect one for these guys:
Corey Perry of the Ducks. I would put him below the other two in terms of likelihood, simply because Selanne is a UFA, so the Ducks can go on without worrying about him. If Niedermayer does return, they can try to move Schneider in the offseason. If Niedermayer retires, they have the cap room under their own self imposed cap to fit him in.
MA-Fleury, I don't expect offers for him, simply because the teams that need a goalie, and there's like around 2 or so, probably aren't going to seek Fleury.
Mike Green, I think teams would go after Weber over Green.

Last edited by Street Hawk: 06-12-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old
06-13-2008, 07:03 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
I don't think the Penner signing is going to make the GMs, who would consider an offer sheet, back away from them.

If you look at the 3 guys who got the Offer Sheets since the lockout, Kesler, Vanek, and Penner. Only Vanek, IMO, was worth the gamble, given his offensive skills of a 40 plus goal season. Of course, that was done when Briere and Drury were on the team.

Kesler's compensation was a 2nd round pick, so Vancouver had to match. Kesler is a 3rd line shut down checker. He struggled after the signing the offersheet. But, this past year, when his salary went down from 1.9 to 1.75, he scored 20 goals.

Penner, is a more raw player, not as polished. I expected his numbers this past season.

I think most GM's think highly of Weber. Injuries have set him back a bit, but I think the GMs who want to do the offer sheet probably rate his game a notch below Phaneuf. Is it a gamble to give Weber a big time contract, one worth a lot more than Brent Burns' 3.5 million per season over 4 years? Yeah, I would say that it is a slight gamble.

Nashville, they're dealing with this whole Boots situation. But, they also need to get to the salary cap floor or $40 million.

I don't expect there to be lots of offer sheets made. I think 2 or 3 is a number that could occur. Teams need to improve quickly and some teams are tight under the cap.

Weber, because of Nashville's ownership situation and self imposed salary cap is a target.

We have no ownership situation. Boot's problems are with his lenders not with us and he was not contributing any more money regardless. Doesn't effect payroll at all.

Also, as far as the self impossed cap. Nashville will have to spend alot more to get to the budget dollars and ownership is already committed to getting there.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 07:06 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Predators’ officials have stated that Del Biaggio’s situation will not have an impact on the team’s operations. In fact, his ownership is straight equity and isn’t subject to calls for more investment if more money is needed to operate the team.
Just as a back-up.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:35 PM
fogducker

any news?

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:40 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
any news?
Still working on it, with everyone else re-signed now, including Ellis, I'm guessing all their attention is on Weber now.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:29 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Good News

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 06:51 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
It obviously can't be true because it's good news and in the Tennessean! You know they're biased against the Preds. They're just trying to raise our hopes.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Barnabyboy

Tsn.ca is now reporting that Webber is close to signing for 3 years/4.5 per....good call by OP.

Barnabyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:00 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnabyboy View Post
Tsn.ca is now reporting that Webber is close to signing for 3 years/4.5 per....good call by OP.
An ok deal. Not enough years to satisfy me. I'd rather they up it by half a mil per and get him for five. Although a year ago I thought they'd get him long term at that rate or less. I guess the price of poker went up.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The deal is good because it allows us to resign him as a RFA.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:17 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
The deal is good because it allows us to resign him as a RFA.
exactly. This is a beefy contract, but the player he should be when this deal is up will make it worth it...and as mentioned, a longer deal would have brought him up to UFA status. I love it.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote