HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Weber Signs - 3 years, $13.5 million

Old
06-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Weber Signs - 3 years, $13.5 million

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...13/1002/SPORTS

Quote:
The Predators have scheduled a 2 p.m. news conference today to announce the signing of defenseman Shea Weber to a three-year, $13.5 million deal.

Weberís new deal will pay him an average of $4.5 million per year, making him the teamís highest-paid defenseman on average.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Great deal because we can still resign him at the end of this contract as a RFA.

06-23-2008, 11:29 AM
lstcyr

was that a Tennessean link I saw there? What's wrong with them for providing positive news on a timely basis?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
was that a Tennessean link I saw there? What's wrong with them for providing positive news on a timely basis?
There is nothing positive about this article, they are simply reporting the news, like....you know....they should. X player signed - it is a cut and dried report. As soon as an opinion article comes out, they will be back up to their old tricks.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:37 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
In order to "break" the news in a timely fashion, they weren't able to put the requisite negative spin on the article.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:46 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Great deal because we can still resign him at the end of this contract as a RFA.

I am happy with the deal, especially the length for the above reason....I am sure that is what Poile stood fast on in order to get it signed.

The other option would have been for Poile to sign him for 1 yr, then renegotiate, but at the risk of paying "Phaneuf-type money" [$6.5 mill] over the length of a longer term deal.

I think this was fair to both sides.....it pays him what he will be worth over those three years, but lets the Preds have one more crack at him before he reaches the UFA lottery.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:46 AM
dulzhok

Glad it got done, but this is more of the same... paying for potential.

The thing is, if we are paying for potential, I'd wish we go for a longer term deal. Getzlaf got 5m for 5 years. Richards got 5.75m for 12 years. Weber is not in their league yet.

In only a 3yr contract, I see now reason why he shouldn't have got a contract similar to Suter's, other than potential/hype.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Testify

Sweet Deal!!

I love in fact that we can still resign him as a RFA after this contrat.

Really happy with the management getting the job done with Ellis, Suter, Weber and Erat!

Happy day

Testify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

I'm stoked that Shea is signed for 3 more seasons which takes him up to another RFA contract (hopefully that next contract will eat up 6 or so UFA years)

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:30 PM
predhead1

I'll echo everyone's sentiments about the term of the deal - great news to have him as an RFA at the end of this deal. the price is on the high side, but not terribly so. Mr. Poile is having a pretty good week.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:18 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
There is nothing positive about this article, they are simply reporting the news, like....you know....they should. X player signed - it is a cut and dried report. As soon as an opinion article comes out, they will be back up to their old tricks.
I beg to differ with you - I think Weber being signed for three years is pretty darn positive.

Old
06-23-2008, 01:20 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
In order to "break" the news in a timely fashion, they weren't able to put the requisite negative spin on the article.
I think you give them too much credit. I've seen them try to "spin" and they don't do it well.

Old
06-23-2008, 01:35 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

A little steeper price than I'd hoped, but if he performs like we know he can, it's a great contract.

I guess this means Klein is long gone...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:39 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Glad it got done, but this is more of the same... paying for potential.

The thing is, if we are paying for potential, I'd wish we go for a longer term deal. Getzlaf got 5m for 5 years. Richards got 5.75m for 12 years. Weber is not in their league yet.

In only a 3yr contract, I see now reason why he shouldn't have got a contract similar to Suter's, other than potential/hype.

Yeah that was my feeling. I've been afraid for awhile that we would lose some players when big bids came in that we couldn't match in RFA. And didn't think the compensatory picks were enough to scare a few teams out of ridiculous offers. So I was hoping we'd sign him longer. Although now, thinking of his age, my wish for five wouldn't be so great, we may lose him to UFA in his prime. And seven, at this stage of his career, is just too long in my mind. And my fear of guys going RFA and us getting outbid look unfounded as the Legwand and Erat contracts show that Poile's willing to pull the trigger and do the deals.

So I'm glad now, after thinking about the RFA point folks are making. In three years, if Shea is playing well, maybe a long term deal then won't completely break the bank.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 01:49 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin

So happy to get Weber signed. I wished that it was longer than 3 years because I thought the UFA status was a younger age. But now that I see he will still be RFA after this deal I am happy with the three years.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:18 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Personally think it's a great deal ,especially since as is noted, after it's done he'll still be an RFA.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Another good move by Poile.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote