HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Given Ok To Talk To Campbell

Old
06-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
The main worry about the PP is how it lives and dies with Jagr. You could put Gonchar AND Campbell out there, but it's not going to matter if unit 1 spends 90 seconds playing catch with Jagr at the half-boards and getting no SOG's. A QB alone isn't going to solve the PP problems, abandoning the puck possession strategy is. I wouldn't even consider Campbell unless I was 100% sure that was going to be case.
Jagr didn't play close to 90 seconds last year..He averaged 54 seconds and on some nights the second half of the year his unit was the 2nd unit behind Gomez and Drurys unit....And he got even less time..
A power play QB like Campbell playing with Drury and Gomez (who never get any crap about there power play time and unit last year.) would make a world of difference..

I see your point about the puck possession but the Rangers can have two units with two different philosophies...One with Campbell as the QB and one with Jagr as the QB....

I think like it or not (and some of us will NOT) the Rangers are adding an offensive defenseman..

I think it's flat out wrong to not call Campbell as PP QB or to compare him to Brian Leetch...If we expect Campbell to be the second coming of Leetch then we are going to be disappointed..If we expect Campbell to be...well...Brian Campbell and get 60 to 70 points then we will be happy...

Btw the Redden cocaine talk is absolute slander...can we have some proof before we start calling the guy a cokehead....we are all better then that...aren't we??

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:42 PM
NYR Viper

campbell is operrated and he will want a HUGE contract over too long of a duration....

7.5 million for 7 years....any takers?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Fletch

I think....

we'd be extremely ecstatic if Campbell had 60-70 points, which is about a 50% improvement overr Rozsival and I'd venture to guess that any lapses in his defensive play won't making him less effective overall than Rozsival.

As for the PP - if Jagr is on this team, they may need to break up Jagr and Dubi. I'm still firmly of the belief that Jagr's PP issues were due to the lack of mobility within his PP unit, and specifically it was the fact (or my opinion) that he and Dubi did no move around enough together, much like Nylander and Jagr did when, for two years straight, the PP was much more effective than last season. While it didn't shoot enough, it wasn't their style, and overall the PP numbers over the prior two seasons were not too bad.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I think it's flat out wrong to not call Campbell as PP QB or to compare him to Brian Leetch...If we expect Campbell to be the second coming of Leetch then we are going to be disappointed..If we expect Campbell to be...well...Brian Campbell and get 60 to 70 points then we will be happy...
I didn't say I expected him to be Leetch. Let's not fly off the handle into the realm of hyperbole of others statements.

It's just from a lot of Buffalo fans I've talked to, he's not really a true PP QB. Again, I think he'd help it though.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
we'd be extremely ecstatic if Campbell had 60-70 points, which is about a 50% improvement overr Rozsival and I'd venture to guess that any lapses in his defensive play won't making him less effective overall than Rozsival.

As for the PP - if Jagr is on this team, they may need to break up Jagr and Dubi. I'm still firmly of the belief that Jagr's PP issues were due to the lack of mobility within his PP unit, and specifically it was the fact (or my opinion) that he and Dubi did no move around enough together, much like Nylander and Jagr did when, for two years straight, the PP was much more effective than last season. While it didn't shoot enough, it wasn't their style, and overall the PP numbers over the prior two seasons were not too bad.
Theres no doubting that any defensive mistakes would probably be over shadowed by that kind of production. However, I highly doubt Campbell notches that many points in our system. Especially with the way our power-play was producing this year.

Our PP needs a big, accurate shot and a body in front of the net. We really don't have either.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Cherepanov 71

7mil just seems like to much, we could get two defenders for that much....Streit and Orpik

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I didn't say I expected him to be Leetch. Let's not fly off the handle into the realm of hyperbole of others statements.

It's just from a lot of Buffalo fans I've talked to, he's not really a true PP QB. Again, I think he'd help it though.
I understand what you said but said that he isn't a Brian Leetch type...I don't think there are any Brian Leetch types in the league right now.....He is a true Power play QB though, he is somebody that can run the point which we haven't had in years...

Old
06-23-2008, 01:10 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Campbell isn't a true PP QB...

He'd probably help the PP, but he isn't a Brian Leetch type guy who's going to control the whole thing
While of course hes no brian leetch, he most definitely is a guy whos going to control the PP and make passes with his top notch vision. He is a true PPQB

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Looks like one of Sathers other potential options is now off the table:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....RTS02/80623013

Quote:
The Predators have scheduled a 2 p.m. news conference today to announce the signing of defenseman Shea Weber to a three-year, $13.5 million deal.

Weberís new deal will pay him an average of $4.5 million per year, making him the teamís highest-paid defenseman on average.

Old
06-23-2008, 01:32 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Have you even watched Campbell play? He was absolutely brutal against the Stars. We're talking turnovers of Malik magnitude here.

And that hit was over 2 years ago. Show me some hits since then.
Have I watched Campbell play? I've seen nearly every Sabres game for the past 10 years! My dad is a fan and I discuss the team with him on a regular basis so I HAD to get Center Ice just so we could. I also go to every Sabres-Islander game since I live 2 minutes from the Coliseum. Feel free to join me.

I've seen Campbell, Roy, Afinogenov, Miller, Pominville, etc for a LONG time. I hung out with some of these players when I lived in Rochester and went to Amerks games several times a month. I know as much about the Sabres as I do the Rangers. You don't believe me, feel free to look up my post pleading to claim Pominville when he was on waivers a few years ago and everyone told me I was stupid and that "he didn't bring anything our team doesn't already have". I have to give myself some credit for that one.

I'm pretty confident Campbell isn't that bad defensively. You know why you think he's terrible? This is my guess....

A) You don't watch him that much and are basing your opinion off of one series or exaggerations others have made in this thread.

B) You fail to realize how OFTEN he handles the puck -- ala Gomez who in himself is a nice little turnover machine -- Jagr as well. Basically anyone who handles the puck a majority of the time is going to cough it up sooner or later. Roszival was the same way so what's the problem.

Fact is the benefits of Campbell or a player of his caliber far outweigh the "OMG TURNOVER" hyperbole coming from the mouths of many here.

If we don't sign Campbell, fine but if we are letting Rosie walk we better find someone who can play offense/move the puck from the blue line or our forwards (who are very weak at the moment) aren't going to do a whole lot of anything against anyone. Gomez is about the only one I'd give any modicum of hope to get the puck in the offensive zone without having to dump it in.

As for his hits, sure why not pop onto any video site and type "Brian Campbell Hits" and see him take out Ovechkin or anyone else. I just posted the video because it's him destroying a Flyer and I hate the Flyers more than anyone in the league short of Pittsburgh.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:33 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

That's a good deal for Weber. If we don't want to risk signing Campbell/etc why not toss a 5.2 million OS to Mike Green and see what happens. He's younger and I'm sure it wouldn't be quite so divisive on this here HF board

Old
06-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I reall don't understand the Campbell hate. Is it the potential money? Our defense first team concept should minimize what ever weaknesses he has, but he is a top tier offensive d-man in the current NHL. I think we have to take a run at him!

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

There's no way he was ever going to be an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I reall don't understand the Campbell hate. Is it the potential money? Our defense first team concept should minimize what ever weaknesses he has, but he is a top tier offensive d-man in the current NHL. I think we have to take a run at him!
Yes, money issue.

Old
06-23-2008, 01:49 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Have I watched Campbell play? I've seen nearly every Sabres game for the past 10 years! My dad is a fan and I discuss the team with him on a regular basis so I HAD to get Center Ice just so we could. I also go to every Sabres-Islander game since I live 2 minutes from the Coliseum. Feel free to join me.

I've seen Campbell, Roy, Afinogenov, Miller, Pominville, etc for a LONG time. I hung out with some of these players when I lived in Rochester and went to Amerks games several times a month. I know as much about the Sabres as I do the Rangers. You don't believe me, feel free to look up my post pleading to claim Pominville when he was on waivers a few years ago and everyone told me I was stupid and that "he didn't bring anything our team doesn't already have". I have to give myself some credit for that one.

I'm pretty confident Campbell isn't that bad defensively. You know why you think he's terrible? This is my guess....

A) You don't watch him that much and are basing your opinion off of one series or exaggerations others have made in this thread.

B) You fail to realize how OFTEN he handles the puck -- ala Gomez who in himself is a nice little turnover machine -- Jagr as well. Basically anyone who handles the puck a majority of the time is going to cough it up sooner or later. Roszival was the same way so what's the problem.

Fact is the benefits of Campbell or a player of his caliber far outweigh the "OMG TURNOVER" hyperbole coming from the mouths of many here.

If we don't sign Campbell, fine but if we are letting Rosie walk we better find someone who can play offense/move the puck from the blue line or our forwards (who are very weak at the moment) aren't going to do a whole lot of anything against anyone. Gomez is about the only one I'd give any modicum of hope to get the puck in the offensive zone without having to dump it in.

As for his hits, sure why not pop onto any video site and type "Brian Campbell Hits" and see him take out Ovechkin or anyone else. I just posted the video because it's him destroying a Flyer and I hate the Flyers more than anyone in the league short of Pittsburgh.

its not the turnovers, as i understand that, its the horrible d-zone coverage, and the length of the contract he will be getting is what bothers me....he is below average defensively.....for what he is going to get (7.5 or more) for 6-8 years i will pass and wait and see if sanguinetti or a trade can take the spot....i am in no way saying he is a bad player, however if peple think rozsival is going to be overpaid at 5 or more million, campbell is even worse at 7.5 or more

Old
06-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Eklund is "reporting" that the Campbell money will be around $6.5MM. If that's true, Rosie won't be getting $5MM on the open market.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 02:38 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
I agree. I know there's a possibility he's going to get overpaid, and I think 7M per year is insane, but the guy gives you everything. He's no Lidstrom defensively, but he can hold his own, he's a big hitter and he's a top-notch offensive talent on the blueline. I'm completely in favor of signing him as long as the terms are reasonable.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 02:46 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
its not the turnovers, as i understand that, its the horrible d-zone coverage, and the length of the contract he will be getting is what bothers me....he is below average defensively.....for what he is going to get (7.5 or more) for 6-8 years i will pass and wait and see if sanguinetti or a trade can take the spot....i am in no way saying he is a bad player, however if peple think rozsival is going to be overpaid at 5 or more million, campbell is even worse at 7.5 or more
Horrible D-Zone coverage? I disagree but you are entitled to your opinion.

I do agree on the length of the contract he may want. However you proclaim to know what he wants and that he'll be seeking 8 million a year which I think has zero basis at all.

Campbell will either concede contract time or dollars. He won't get both - so what is more important to him -- length of contract or money?

Honestly the Rangers could easily sign him to a 5 year deal worth 6 mil a year or maybe a 4 year deal worth 7 mil per (front loaded). There are so many options and none of us can assume (as you have) to know what he will want in any deal.

And I see the 6.5 mil Eklund figure (which I will take with a mild grain of salt) and see that I was pretty much spot on earlier in this thread with those figures.

Old
06-23-2008, 02:48 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Eklund is "reporting" that the Campbell money will be around $6.5MM. If that's true, Rosie won't be getting $5MM on the open market.
Roszival should get 4-4.5 mil a year in my estimation. He's about a 35-40 point defenseman and plays a competent defensive game. He's probably one of the better defenseman on the UFA market this year. If the Rangers don't sign him don't worry someone else surely will.

Old
06-23-2008, 02:49 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Getting rid of Rosy and signing Campbell for about 4 years at 6.5 million would be a dream. That's expecting way too much though

If the terms were something like that though I would be all for it. However, if it's something like 7-7.5 million for 6 years then that's just insane. Chances are that's what it will be

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 02:52 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:

Yes, money issue.
Bring back Fry...

Old
06-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Easy to say that now.

Old
06-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Fletch

Now that I've thought about it more...

I think I'd be willing to bring back Rozsival over Campbell if he's $2MM+ cheaper. I thought Rozy had two very good seasons here and an off year last season. He can bounce back and play a solid two-way game again, I believe. He may not be ideal for the PP, but I often feel more comfortable with the guy I've seen in a Rangers uniform as opposed to the guy who comes here with the bigger price tag. Unfortunately 1997-2004 left me pretty bitter.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 03:05 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Horrible D-Zone coverage? I disagree but you are entitled to your opinion.

I do agree on the length of the contract he may want. However you proclaim to know what he wants and that he'll be seeking 8 million a year which I think has zero basis at all.

Campbell will either concede contract time or dollars. He won't get both - so what is more important to him -- length of contract or money?

Honestly the Rangers could easily sign him to a 5 year deal worth 6 mil a year or maybe a 4 year deal worth 7 mil per (front loaded). There are so many options and none of us can assume (as you have) to know what he will want in any deal.

And I see the 6.5 mil Eklund figure (which I will take with a mild grain of salt) and see that I was pretty much spot on earlier in this thread with those figures.
living in buffalo i have heard my fair share of these arguments...especially leading up to the trade deadline when the city was buzzing.....i heard on the radio, from people who seemed to have been correct that te sabres offerred him 6 million over 4 years....now, if the rangers offerred that to him would he take it?....i dont know, however his agent told the sabres that he wanted to reach UFA and he wanted his big payday because he is a later bloomer and this is his one and only payday most likely....from what i heard in buffalo around the trade deadline he was asking for 7.5 from buffalo as a discount to stay and the sabres said 6 and neither would budge off of their figure.....

think about it....using your opinion of him as a legit #1, pp qb at the ripe old age of 28 do you really think, being the only high-end defenseman on the market he would take a low amount of money to grab?....any team signing him will most likely have to give up 7.5 or more over 5-8 years....the length is too long and the amount isnt worth what he is....

i am not pulling these numbers out of my butt....these are the numbers that he was asking for as a discount from the sabres...i wouldnt imagine those would go down now that he was traded to SJ and made it to the second round of the playoffs again....now he has more experience and improved their pp quite a bit....he will be asking for more most likely

Old
06-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Bring back Fry...
My avs keep randomly disappearing for some reason. I don't know if hfboards has a bug up their ass about them or what, but I haven't gotten any messages about it either

Old
06-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I think I'd be willing to bring back Rozsival over Campbell if he's $2MM+ cheaper. I thought Rozy had two very good seasons here and an off year last season. He can bounce back and play a solid two-way game again, I believe. He may not be ideal for the PP, but I often feel more comfortable with the guy I've seen in a Rangers uniform as opposed to the guy who comes here with the bigger price tag. Unfortunately 1997-2004 left me pretty bitter.
you make a good point about rozsival but i don't remember anybody (besides myself and one or two other people) saying Rozisvial had a good first season in new york..

i'd take campbell over rozsival and that's saying a lot for me..i like the way rozsival plays and he does fit here but his second half was terrible...on many nights he was the teams worst defenseman....i think when he plays great he is very steady but when his game slips he is almost scary how bad he is...