HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THN: Rangers a 1st round loser at the draft?

Old
06-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
THN: Rangers a 1st round loser at the draft?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...nd-losers.html

Retarded article mainly because they are criticizing us for taking the BPA rather than drafting based on need.

Even though we NEED defenseman!

Let them know how you feel. I know I did. Stupid ass article.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Levitate

It's a pretty weak thing to call the Rangers out on, and even worse is the draft day comments that were linked in that article. They called the Rangers pick "the first really puzzling pick of the day".

I might have been happier with a pick like Tenenby, but Del Zotto is a solid pick in terms of talent, I think. Better than picking Robak or something. At least if you're going to pick a player who's similar to someone you already have, make sure that guy is really talented as well.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
In the first truly puzzling pick of the day, the Rangers take offensive defenseman Michael Del Zotto. The Blueshirts already have a similar player in Bobby Sanguinetti coming up the pipeline and for Del Zotto’s sake, I hope New York brings him along slowly, because the Rangers faithful will get on him if his current defensive miscues follow him to the NHL.
http://thehockeynews.com/articles/16...ening-day.html
retarded indeed

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
This is yet another reason to believe that THN has completely lost all credibility as a hockey source.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I agree we need defensemen, but I think Carlson was the d-man that fit our immediate needs. Granted both players are a way off, but we're definitely missing that bruising d-man in our organization.

I think Del Zotto will be a great player down the line, so I'm not too broken up about it. I just hope Slats isn't going to stock up on offensive d-men and neglect other needs on the blue line.

If we can make a play for Weber, all of those worries will go out the door for me.

Staal - Sanguinetti
Weber - Del Zotto
Tyutin - Girardi
Sauer/Potter

Thats one hell of a defensive corps down the road.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...nd-losers.html

Retarded article mainly because they are criticizing us for taking the BPA rather than drafting based on need.

Even though we NEED defenseman!

Let them know how you feel. I know I did. Stupid ass article.
Well I dont think NYR really NEEDS defenseman.They are lacking a good young winger up front and could use on badly.

But they do say defense wins championships,so Im actually very cool with the pick. Not that it matters to Sather or anyone.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:57 AM
NYR Viper

im really excited to see what gaulton can do once he is healthy....he would be that bruising defenseman

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:57 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Rationale is flawed. If the Ranges somehow deal Sanguinetti this offseason does this all the sudden become a good pick?

06-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Rationale is flawed. If the Ranges somehow deal Sanguinetti this offseason does this all the sudden become a good pick?
Or if one of them is dealt at the trade deadline.

Del Z is a bpa, nothing wrong with that, the kid has legit skills.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Heat McManus

I usually like Proteau, but I wasn't a fan of this article.

The Rangers made a good selection. Yes,You don't know what will happen to Sanguinetti. What happens if he goes down with an injury? Gets dealt? Insert hypothetical here _______.

Proteau also called Mattias Tedenby "un-Devils like". A 5-foot-nothing winnger with tons of speed....Like Brian Gionta? Or Niklas Bergfors?

Bobby Mac, please return to THN. Half that magazing now-a-days is Brophy and Campbell arguing over the color of the goal post.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Interesting point. I wonder if this was a move to possibly allow Sather to move one of them for a forward this summer.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:14 AM
ThirdEye

Don't care. Del Zotto was ranked at around 15 and we took him at 20. Sanguinetti is not in the NHL yet, so saying DZ is redundant is plain silly.

He was the best pick at the time

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:32 AM
NYR Viper

im happy with the pick....the more i think about it, the more i see the fact that good teams have multiple offensive defenseman....pitt, philly, detroit, dallas, SJ, calgary.....i like this pick and i like the draft overall

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:46 AM
sattar18

with the current NHL, you cant just pick what you need, with free agency and stuff you go with the BPA. there are rare instance where the BPA is also a need.

sattar18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Fletch

It now seems to me...

that it was a good pick since THN says it's not. Further, their logic states that it could be good organizational planning. Since they believe it'll take him a while before he gets the kinks out of his defensive game, it can be 4+ years before he hits the NHL. Hopefully by then Sangs will be skating on all four cylinders and he'd be a perfect guy for him to play behind. Then, Sangs prices himself out of the Rangers and flees by the age of 28 and the Rangers will have just signed Del Zotto to a four year contract and he will slip right in for Sangs as he'd be ready to take over the reigns at that point and the Rangers managed the cap well.

OK, far-fetched, but I don't think much of THN.

As for taking the BPA instead of based on need. I often prefer to see the Rangers draft based on need. But, you can't pass up the BPA because you can always trade-out another player at another time to get that need (considering these guys are 3-5 years away from the NHL anyways). I also see no problem trading up or down to get a guy you need if you're in a spot to draft a guy who's fallen down on the charts and who may be valuable to another team.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Evgeny Oliker

the problem with what THN says is that we neede BOTH offensive dmen and top forwards. If we had 2 1st rounders, sure, I would have liked to get a Del Zotto AND a Tedenby!

So the only criticism you can make is that the Rangers should have tried to trade for another late 1st round pick, but that is easier said than done.

All in all, the Rangers did well.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:16 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Kinda agree with them. Before the draft I said taking Del Zotto would be a mistake so I see where they are coming from. I also felt we had enough good young talent where we didnt have to pick the BPA and could go for a need (which is also why I wouln't have minded us trading down a bit)...

But when the draft was all said and done I was happy with the pick. So now we just wait and see happens now that we have two offensive dmen in the system.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

This just further shows that THN is often off in their analysis.

Del Zotto has the talent to wind up being the best out of that first round group of defensemen.

He is also underrated defensively.

One day, THN will be eating crow, as they have many many times before.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:19 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Who the hell knows what we're gonna need in 3 years or so?

You take the BPA.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:31 PM
eco's bones

I would have been fine with the Rangers taking Carlson or maybe even Cuma or Tedenby if Del Zotto had already been gone. For me DZ was unquestionably the best player available and should have gone 4 or 5 picks before. Structurally the Rangers had a real need to resupply defensive prospects--to wit you can never really have enough good defensemen in your organization anyway. As for when he'll be ready I would say quite possibly in two-three seasons at least if you figure Doughty, Bogosian and possibly Schenn and Pietrangelo are considered by some NHL worthy for 08-09 and DZ is supposedly very close talent wise to Bogosian and Doughty and has less filling out to do than say Sanguinetti when we drafted him. We shall see though--and there may be the negative that his junior team seems disfunctional at the moment.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:32 PM
SouvenirCity

I could see sangs being moved in a deal for a top line scorer (Kovalchuck? =]) at the dealine this year. If not, you still need to go BPA, regardless of whether you need whats available or not.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvenirCity View Post
I could see sangs being moved in a deal for a top line scorer (Kovalchuck? =]) at the dealine this year. If not, you still need to go BPA, regardless of whether you need whats available or not.
that would be a pretty hefty deal. Sangs + 2009 1st + Sam Rosen?

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:44 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvenirCity View Post
Or we can keep all of our young group and just sign kovalchuk in two years when he hits free agency.

Old
06-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Or we can keep all of our young group and just sign kovalchuk in two years when he hits free agency.

Sounds good to me. I don't see him signing an extension in Atlanta and he'll be dealt just like Hossa was to a team that needs a scorer. I think Ilya would be smart to go UFA because he'll be highly sought after.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:20 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
Sounds good to me. I don't see him signing an extension in Atlanta and he'll be dealt just like Hossa was to a team that needs a scorer. I think Ilya would be smart to go UFA because he'll be highly sought after.
If he gets traded for, he will fetch that team's entire farm system not to mention strip them of any good young NHL roster players.

AND, to top it off, they'll lose him when his contract expires.

Not worth trading for.

He will definitely hit free agency, people thinking he will resign are delusional.

He will command the max on the market, he will get his payday.

The Rangers, if they play it smart, will be able to afford him, especially if they manage to move Drury's horrid contract by then.

That is why you don't throw any sort of money at the likes of Avery, Campbell, Redden, Sundin, Roszival, "just because" people are too impatient to wait for REAL talent to become available. They're more willing to damage and handcuff the organization via pre-lockout Rangers philosophy, then to wait and be smart.