HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

I smell an Offer Sheet

Old
06-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
I've been saying this for a month now...We should sign an Restricted Free agent..Forget the prospects we can trade for a second..lets keep them because them prospects we have makes it possible for the rangers to withstand a year without a first round pick....

I don't care how deep next years draft is going to be, if the Rangers play well next season they won't have a top 10 pick anyway..this isnt' like in the past where a 1st rounder will be traded for a vet..we are talking about signing a young PROVEN Player another building block that the team needs..

you can't tell me that the Rangers will draft an impact player in the first round next season...by the time that question is answered it's 2012 or 2013....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I feel like a team who is about a week away from losing FOUR top line forwards has to have some plan in place, right?

If we have any desire to be competitive from the outset, there's a good chance it involves a combination of a RFA forward (Perry, Bernier, Vermette), two re-signings (Jagr, Avery) and possibly a rookie or two (Korpikoski, Anisimov).

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:57 PM
NYR Viper

i dont want to offersheet anyone this year....next years draft will be amazing...pass

also, the rangers probably wont finish as high as last year, giving thema better pick(hopefully) in a very very good offensive draft

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

If a guy like Malkin or Ovechkin were available it wouldn't shock me. But I don't see the Rangers going that route with any of the currently available RFAs.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:02 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i dont want to offersheet anyone this year....next years draft will be amazing...pass

also, the rangers probably wont finish as high as last year, giving thema better pick(hopefully) in a very very good offensive draft
This kind of post is very common around these boards. I cant understand why people want to be bad in order to get a good draft pick.

It seems like people would rather have a terrible year than make it to the playoffs. I cant understand this.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:08 PM
newyorkrangers11

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
This kind of post is very common around these boards. I cant understand why people want to be bad in order to get a good draft pick.

It seems like people would rather have a terrible year than make it to the playoffs. I cant understand this.
Agreed, why put your team down, if anything thing they are going to do better not worse. Cherepanov is supposed to be a huge steal. The Rangers usually draft well no matter where they fall, also I don't think nor do I want them to do worse.

newyorkrangers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:11 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkrangers11 View Post
Agreed, why put your team down, if anything thing they are going to do better not worse. Cherepanov is supposed to be a huge steal. The Rangers usually draft well no matter where they fall, also I don't think nor do I want them to do worse.
LOL yeah doesn't being a fan consist of wanting a certain team to win as much as possible? I mean if it were the last day of the season and winning would mean 29th place and losing would mean 30th than obviously i would hope we lost. other than that i cant think of a scenario where i want the rangers to lose.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Cross Weber off the list of potential offer sheet recipients.

Quote:
The Predators have scheduled a 2 p.m. news conference today to announce the signing of defenseman Shea Weber to a three-year, $13.5 million deal.

Weberís new deal will pay him an average of $4.5 million per year, making him the teamís highest-paid defenseman on average.

Link

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post

None of us know who the Rangers are going to pick next year in the draft. Every year the next years draft is supposed to be "amazing" and when the draft comes around it's always "this draft isn't that deep"

I doubt the Rangers are planning on losing next season in the hopes that the draft will provide a future top line player..

If we sign a 23-25 year old to a 5 year contract you have a polished player in the prime years of his career. If in the BEST CASE scenario we draft a blue chip prospect you are maybe getting 1 or 2 years of production before that player gets a big contract. The Rangers system can withstand one year without a 1st round pick...If the Rangers lose Avery they should take part of that money and look to sign Vermette or maybe even Perry...

Old
06-23-2008, 01:22 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
But the Rangers are missing a blue chip prospect at this point. Marc Staal is in the NHL so hes not a prospect anymore. Sanguinetti is a good one but he is by no means blue chip. To give up a first round pick for next year, they would have to pry it from my dead hands.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:23 PM
jniklast

offer sheets are either matched, or you overpay way too much (of course unless maybe a team is hard against the cap, or just not able to pay even a reasonable price)
and overpaying will not only be money but also picks, so i dare say it's rather difficult and rare that you do a good deal with an offer sheet

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
But the Rangers are missing a blue chip prospect at this point. Marc Staal is in the NHL so hes not a prospect anymore. Sanguinetti is a good one but he is by no means blue chip. To give up a first round pick for next year, they would have to pry it from my dead hands.
You dont need to have blue chip prospects in the system (although the rangers have 3 of them that i can think of).....just because they are there doesn't meant they will work out the way you want..(see lundmark and Brendl)

If the Rangers sign a 23-25 year old proven player and a 1st round pick goes the other way there is no harm in that. We don't even know if the guy we draft will ever be as good as the guy we would end up signing...

also, if cherapanov and anisimov aren't considered blue chip prospects then how would you characterize a blue chip prospect?

Old
06-23-2008, 01:33 PM
DutchShamrock

We already spent a 2nd or 3rd in next year's draft, so consider that when you start thinking of offer sheets. Sather's in the good ol' boys network, no one's tried to scavenge his players, he won't do it to anyone else.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
We already spent a 2nd or 3rd in next year's draft, so consider that when you start thinking of offer sheets. Sather's in the good ol' boys network, no one's tried to scavenge his players, he won't do it to anyone else.

when and where?

jeez, when/how did i miss that?

also i don't think the good old boys network really applies anymore..not when the owners are trying to kick his boss out of the league...

Old
06-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
when and where?

jeez, when/how did i miss that?

also i don't think the good old boys network really applies anymore..not when the owners are trying to kick his boss out of the league...
I believe we used our 3rd next year to get our 4th back this year. Something to that extent anyway.

Old
06-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I believe we used our 3rd next year to get our 4th back this year. Something to that extent anyway.
If so that's just flat out stupid...

I'll try to go through the trades on saturday to confirm it....what a shame..

Old
06-23-2008, 02:01 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
If so that's just flat out stupid...

I'll try to go through the trades on saturday to confirm it....what a shame..
no no, the 3rd we got by trading bourret, and the 4th we got for our 7th + next year's 4th pick

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 02:02 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think we used our 4th next year and our 7th this year to get it back.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
no no, the 3rd we got by trading bourret, and the 4th we got for our 7th + next year's 4th pick
I stand corrected.

Old
06-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

4th next year and 7th this year is all i could find..

i know on saturday i posted how stupid it would be to trade our 3rd round pick next year...how teams would love to get that pick from us..

Old
06-23-2008, 03:10 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
I LOVE the idea of sending an offer sheet to somebody within the division, especially when we have the potential to make room, and a team like Pittsburgh has decisions to make. Malkin is going to make $8-9 million/year when he signs long term. Sather has to think: What are the odds Pittsburgh is going to let Malkin walk for $2-3 million more than what they would give him anyway? Odds are they will bite the bullet and match an $11 million offer, even with the Rangers sending draft picks their way, it's probably not worth it to let a top 3 player walk to a rival. $3 million under a $53+ million cap adds up, especially when they have guys like Fleury, Staal, etc to sign. It hasn't been used within the conference/division in the cap era at all as a way of making things difficult for a rival. And why not? You don't play the game to make friends.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Fletch

I don't know Weber well...

but $4.5MM per for a 23 year old defenseman with one very good offensive season (in terms of goals scored) under his belt? Seems like a decent chunk of change.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
but $4.5MM per for a 23 year old defenseman with one very good offensive season (in terms of goals scored) under his belt? Seems like a decent chunk of change.
He's a very good two-way guy and loves to throw his body around. I don't think it would be far off to say he's of the Pronger mold, but a few notches down at this stage of his career.

It's a good deal when you consider people were speculating he'd get a sheet for 5.5 - 6.

Old
06-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
He is a very solid dman in his own zone. Hits hard. He is well worth the money.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Jay88*

IMO, I dont see it happening nor would I do it...........

NYR already has Drury and Gomez at a high enough price tag.And let alone for 6 and 4 more years. Malkin is not going to win a cup every year here,so Im not for it. Im also not ready to see NYR lose4 or 5 first rounders or whatever, a bad idea and pointless thread. Which isnt even something to think about. Thats just my opinion atleast.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote