HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vermette

Old
06-23-2008, 09:53 AM
echlfreak

vCash: 500
Vermette

What are the thoughts on trading Klein for Vermette in Ottawa? He would be a great fit to the second line with Erat and Legwand. And, Ottawa needs defense.

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:04 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
What are the thoughts on trading Klein for Vermette in Ottawa? He would be a great fit to the second line with Erat and Legwand. And, Ottawa needs defense.
Ya, I'd take Vermette. Now that it's unlikely that Poile going to go for a true first liner (like Jokinen), we need to figure out someway to get some more scoring. Vermette would be a good plan B.

We just need to move another contract, as he's probably gonna cost atleast 3m per year. I expect (hope) that Zidlicky will be moved after July 1st.

Not sure if Klien would be enough to get Vermette, but sure, I'd to it.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

I'm on board with this as well, speed + skill = good times

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:07 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Could we land Vermette for as little as Klein? Seems like a nice pickup, especially considering that Trotz is waiting for a plague to strike the D-core before consistently dressing Klein.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Could we land Vermette for as little as Klein? Seems like a nice pickup, especially considering that Trotz is waiting for a plague to strike the D-core before consistently dressing Klein.
No kidding. I would make this deal in a heartbeat. Klein might play in 5 games next year....and that is if VK isn't signed.

06-23-2008, 01:33 PM
predhead1

This would be a good deal if Ottawa would go for it. They might ask for a little something extra, but I wouldn't have a problem adding a mid-to-late round 2009 pick to get the deal done.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 04:04 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 50
Klein plus Hordi's pick.

sign the papers.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Pringles

I think it is going to take more then Klein to get Vermette, I am a big fan of Klein but Vermette's value is closer to Hamhuis' value. Nobody trades a #2 center for a 6/7 d-man.

Pringles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 04:40 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens fan in Toronto View Post
I think it is going to take more then Klein to get Vermette, I am a big fan of Klein but Vermette's value is closer to Hamhuis' value. Nobody trades a #2 center for a 6/7 d-man.
And there in lies the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't capable of being a top 4 Dman immediately. He has the tools. But because of Trotz, he has never had a chance to display it.

With young defensemen, sometimes it's just better to give them a good bit of ice time (15 minutes or so) for a few weeks to see what you have. Not sure he has ever played more than 5 games in a row on the NHL level. He hits the ice knowing he has to play lights out to even have a chance to avoid being scratched the next game. You don't typically see great results out of players in that position.

In the end, we just need to trade him for scraps to the Wings. They love and properly use guys like Lebda. They'd flip out over a player like Klein. He'd fit their style quite well as a very speedy puck mover who can play physical when needed.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Its funny you mention the Wings Smokey because Klein is very very similar to Niklas Kronwall in terms of overall style of game....

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 07:27 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Klein would be a top four defenseman in a lot of organizations.

I guess this is the side effect of Trotz preferring De Vries and Zanon to Klein and Koistinen...

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 07:57 PM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Klein would be a top four defenseman in a lot of organizations.

I guess this is the side effect of Trotz preferring De Vries and Zanon to Klein and Koistinen...
I would hope that as the season gets closer that Poile could trade off the first two you mentioned... that or buy them out.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 09:24 PM
braindead

I was forced to listen to local radio today to hear Willy interview Poile. I thought (not to read tea leafs) that Poile dodged the question on Klein and Koistenen and then noticeably didn't list Zids when running through our list of core players (Hammy, Weber and Suter twice mentioned as core D).

I'm currently operating on the theory that Klein has been kept b/c he is going to play. If Zids gets traded then Koistenen takes his spot and Klein can fight with Zanon for the 6th/7th spot... a spot he should win unless you have to play entirely on your knees in training camp.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Dionysus

It would have to be Klein++ to get Vermette. What would Nashville be willing to add? Fiddler is a player I have always liked, what about Klein+Fiddler for Vermette.

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaterhassasin View Post
It would have to be Klein++ to get Vermette. What would Nashville be willing to add? Fiddler is a player I have always liked, what about Klein+Fiddler for Vermette.
where do I sign?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:05 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
I'd do that in about a picosecond. Fids is a classy guy and a damn hard worker, but we've got that kind of player in spades.

... on second thought, I think we should trade Klein to Calgary for Cammalleri.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Pringles

Quote:
I would prefer Klein + (Dekanich or Smith)

if you have Ellis, Rinne, Dekanich, Smith, and now Pickard (not to mention 3 other goaltenders) I think you can afford to let one go.

Pringles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:06 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I would prefer Klein + (Dekanich or Smith)

if you have Ellis, Rinne, Dekanich, Smith, and now Pickard (not to mention 3 other goaltenders) I think you can afford to let one go.
I think that's fair, and while I think Smith is the better prospect, I think he'd be the most tradeable chip, since if we trade Dekanich, we've got no one for Milwaukee this year.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:07 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
While I agree that Klein is not enough for Vermette, I think Vermette's value is just as far from Hamhuis. We're talking about a guy who is frequently compared to Wade Redden when Wade Redden was a star defenseman, and who is signed to a bargain contract.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
While I agree that Klein is not enough for Vermette, I think Vermette's value is just as far from Hamhuis. We're talking about a guy who is frequently compared to Wade Redden when Wade Redden was a star defenseman, and who is signed to a bargain contract.
I completely agree. Vermette's value is no where near Dan Hamhuis.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Dionysus

Is Rinne pretty untouchable as the future starter with Nashville, or is there a chance he could be moved with the signing of Ellis and the drafting of Pickard?

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote