HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sundin To Montreal Rumors Part 2 (includes potential lines)

View Poll Results: Which prospects will be moved?
Grabo 134 57.76%
O'byrne 26 11.21%
Stewart 12 5.17%
R. Mcdonagh 8 3.45%
P. Pacioretty 8 3.45%
Chipchura 42 18.10%
Maxwell 14 6.03%
Halak 18 7.76%
Subban 13 5.60%
Webber 11 4.74%
D'agostini 46 19.83%
Yemelin 13 5.60%
Valentenko 9 3.88%
Olivier Fortier 11 4.74%
1st rounder in 2010 37 15.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Sundin's contract binds him to the Toronto Maple Leafs until July 1st.

If Bob Gainey called him up to speak with him, without being employed by the club that owns his rights, he would be in violation of the league's tampering rules.

If Sundin spoke with him, which we know he did, he would have to have agreed to allow that to happen. Also, obviously, the Maple Leafs would have to be in agreement to allow a player under contract to them to be in contact with the management of another NHL club.
Ferris, do you know off hand if Fletcher would have to contact the NHL in anyway to let them know of such an agreement? Or could he make that decision on his own and contact them if/when a trade were completed?

Old
06-23-2008, 08:11 PM
couz

vCash: 500
Flecther would have to file a complaint with the League and the league would investigate.

But since Flectcher is on record for allowing it there are no issues.

Old
06-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Papa_Bear_21

Wth?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/...angers_sundin/

So much for Cliff Fletcher being an honorable man...

Old
06-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
Flecther would have to file a complaint with the League and the league would investigate.

But since Flectcher is on record for allowing it there are no issues.
Sorry...I didn't mean if it was done behind Fletchers back. I meant does Fletcher have to notify the League that he is giving/gave Gainey permission to contact Sundin and or his agent.

Old
06-23-2008, 08:15 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post

an other post shows Fletcher denied this. And even if he didnt what that article shows is just that Rangers would have had the first shot but werent able to get it done...then it was montreal's turn.

Old
06-23-2008, 08:15 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:

Didnt that get debunked?

Old
06-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Didnt that get debunked?
Yep...debunked it was LC.

Old
06-23-2008, 08:18 PM
kihei

vCash: 3115
Quote:

If the Rangers (which is weird if you think about it) contacted Fletcher before Montreal made its pitch, I don't see how that makes Cliff dishonorable. He's not psychic. Sounds like the Rangers knocked on the door first, it didn't go anywhere, and then Montreal popped up. Obviously if Fletcher can get something rather than nothing for Sundin, it is in his interest to work things out with somebody quickly.

Old
06-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Raider917

vCash: 50
Quote:

does this mean that montreal cannot make a deal (before july 1st) with sundin now? is gainey still going to sweden?

Old
06-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
does this mean that montreal cannot make a deal (before july 1st) with sundin now? is gainey still going to sweden?
He can still make a deal...and I don't think New York can before July 1st because we are suppose to have the exclusive right...

Old
06-23-2008, 08:43 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
What? It simply means that if the Habs dont have Sundin by then they will persue other UFA's and that Toronto will talk with Sundin again.
The quote i gave wasnt from that article it was from somewhere else. I only brought the other part up as a continuation of the other quote i gave from Bob Gainey a couple of pages back

Old
06-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
According to Bob MacKenzie Gainey is still talking to Sundin and his agent. As of right now the trip has been called off, but there is a chance that it could be a go again.

Edit: Quick question open to anyone.

I know Sundin was hurt down the stretch this year. Does anyone know if he's fully recovered or if he's still recovering?

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 06-23-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old
06-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Raider917

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
According to Bob MacKenzie Gainey is still talking to Sundin and his agent. As of right now the trip has been called off, but there is a chance that it could be a go again.
wouldnt the gm of the team that has the rights be the only gm that could talk to him? if he is still planning to talk to him then the rangers must not have the rights?

Old
06-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
wouldnt the gm of the team that has the rights be the only gm that could talk to him? if he is still planning to talk to him then the rangers must not have the rights?
Go back a couple of pages (In this thread) and you will see a quote from Fletcher denying that the Rangers ever had negotiating rights for Mats Sundin. I'm not sure off hand which post, but if you go back you'll see it.

According to that quote, it also shows that Montreal is the ONLY team with negotiating rights for Sundin.

Old
06-23-2008, 08:59 PM
happyhab*

Of all the articles I've read, JP seems to be convincing Sundin that the Habs are the best choice,and that if he takes to long to sign then they will go elsewhere.

Now if all the rumors regardings Sundins financial investements are true, his only 2 real options are Montreal and Ottawa.

So whats left to be decided here is is it retirement or the Habs. We will find out within the week.

If we do lose Sundin then I really think the Habs should target Jagr. I really don't want Hossa as it would be a long term deal, a Jagr deal would be shorter and give more flexibility. Jagr was a beast against the Pens, he was all over the place, I think he still has a couple of years left in him.

Old
06-23-2008, 08:59 PM
centrehice

Quote:

This article says the rangers had the rights before the habs. But eveyrone heard fletcher say the habs have EXCLUSIVE rights. Which means at this time, only the habs have the right to talk to sundin and his agent.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:03 PM
happyhab*

Quote:

Edit: Quick question open to anyone.

I know Sundin was hurt down the stretch this year. Does anyone know if he's fully recovered or if he's still recovering?
He's recovered I remember at the time there were reports that he was going to be back for the next few games, as the leafs felt they were still in the run for a playoff spot. But once it was clear the Leafs weren't gonna make it, they decided for him not to play and not risk further injury

Old
06-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhab View Post
He's recovered I remember at the time there were reports that he was going to be back for the next few games, as the leafs felt they were still in the run for a playoff spot. But once it was clear the Leafs weren't gonna make it, they decided for him not to play and not risk further injury
Thanks HH, I wasn't quite sure how severe his injury was. But I did remember that the Leafs did sit him out towards the end of the season.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:22 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
The only way it drags on is if the Habs cant sign any UFA and Sundin is still available. But the Habs wont wait for him.
I think the Habs will wait on Sundin because they realise they have a better chance of signing him than Hossa.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Sundin's contract binds him to the Toronto Maple Leafs until July 1st.

If Bob Gainey called him up to speak with him, without being employed by the club that owns his rights, he would be in violation of the league's tampering rules.

If Sundin spoke with him, which we know he did, he would have to have agreed to allow that to happen. Also, obviously, the Maple Leafs would have to be in agreement to allow a player under contract to them to be in contact with the management of another NHL club.
I don't believe for one second Fletch needed Sundin's permission to allow Gainey Access to him (that is Toronto's prerogative as they hold his Contract). Sundin's Leverage is the actual trade, not before. Sundin or any player for that matter don't have 'don't talk to me clauses'.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:33 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
I think the Habs will wait on Sundin because they realise they have a better chance of signing him than Hossa.
they wont wait if Hossa accepts a deal with the team. And they will most likely make him an offer on July first.
Edit: you can substitute Hossa with any other target the team focuses on.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:46 PM
NewHabsEra*

No chance Hossa ends in a Habs jersey with the recent trade involving Tanguay.. We are now set on the wings and a guy like Pacioretty is possibly only 2 years away from a roster spot..

The last position to improve is down the middle and Sundin is definitively the better option..

With Sundin in the line-up this team has basically no weakness, 3 strong lines that can score every shifts and a great checking one as well.. Pleks and Higgins on the first PK.. outch...

On D we will be as strong as last season and no need to add anything about our goaltending..

Old
06-23-2008, 09:46 PM
johan f

I doubt Mats will retire. He will play as long he brings something to the game. Reports over here in Sweden says people around Mats giving hints he will play in NHL, but iss till miffed by the treatment he got from Leafs by trading deadline. He feels having no obligations to sign with any team before July 1st and he is in no rush at all.

As have been following Mats thru his entire career it would surprise me if he call it quits. Especially since he actually has played a better hockey the past 2-3 seasons (part of them anyways) than he has done in previous 3-4 seasons where he mostly floated around.

He loves the game, although he seems gotten used with losing. That's the life being a Leaf. I can tell.

Sundin has declared over and over he is taking one year at the time. If he signs with Habs, I believe it will be for one year.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:50 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Ferris, do you know off hand if Fletcher would have to contact the NHL in anyway to let them know of such an agreement? Or could he make that decision on his own and contact them if/when a trade were completed?
I suspect the league would need to be made aware of the entire arrangement.

Old
06-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
I'm not suprised. I still think retirement may be the most likely option for Mats.

Unless negociations are hot, when July 1st passes by I think Gainey will move on and target other UFAs. He wants to add another big gun and won't wait for Sundin to take his sweet time making a decision.
Now that Leafs fan know that they can get something for him, if he retires now...

He's going to leave a very sour taste in the mouths of his fans since he already rejected to waive his no trade clause before the playoffs. Sundin was in the right, I'm not saying it was his fault but if he retires now, it will partially taint his legacy in Toronto. They could've gotten so much for him before the deadline, only for him to retire a few weeks later. I seriously doubt he would do that.

Closed Thread