HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs pushed hard for Deschamps

Old
06-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Mustafa*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
At the price of tickets now the fans deserve some homegrown talent and players who can communicate with the media.
Fans deserve? Fans deserve a Stanley cup! We dont "deserve Quebecers", that sentence is illogical, you say it like if a francophone was something magical:
"it's a gift from Papa Gainey, we got a Francophone!"

"Our tickets cost too much! Now Gainey give up your plans and give us a Francophone, what am i saying, give us plenty of Francophones! we dont care about the business of hockey, we've been suffering enough, we crave for a homegrown boy!"

I'm a Quebecer, proud, likes a lot the guys from the Q who acheived succes in the NHL, but i have never felt that i deserve a Quebecer.

Can you guys imagine the handicap we would have, with the parity, if we were to choose French-Canadians for the sake of it? And dont worry French-Canadians will have a shot at the NHL, there was 27 players from the Q taken in this year draft, you will all have a lot of opportunities to see them play against the Hab or you could just watch hockey games that dont includes the Habs. We need the BPA, period.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Reality is, the Q gets worse and worse every year. OHL dominated the first round and for all i know the rest as well. There's no one to draft from the Q, and we only had 5 picks. We choose the BPA and that clearly wasn't a QMJHL player, only player i am a little dissapointed to see us skip is stefanovich, who was drafted in the 4th round, 98th overall by...toronto.
I believe that this year after year will stop next year. 09 should be a nice year for the Q even though it's strong overall. We could have 3 guys in the top 30. But I may be too optimistic due to my bias opinion.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:08 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
did they fought that hard for a guy like Cormier who was picked just 2 ranks before?

In the 3rd round, what Q players were picked ahead of Qualier? Paquette, Bourdon, Brodeur and Cousineau. I don't believe Timmins was interested in any of those guys 'cause of their skating issues.
They probably didn't think Cormier would have went this early. I had him as a third rounder at best.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside Cowboy View Post
They probably didn't think Cormier would have went this early. I had him as a third rounder at best.
I personnally don't buy this based on the fact that they picked Missiaen in the 4th. They wanted him. I don't think a lot of people had him before much much later.....

You saw how Allen rised his stock by having a great U-18? I also believe that players who had a great 2nd part of the year and good playoffs see their stock rise as well and it was definately the case for Cormier. Same cannot be said for Cornet. At one point, Cornet was ahead of him, some placed them neck and neck and see how it ended.

It was clear that Bourdon would have rise. The way he did maybe not but no way was he a 125th pick. Same could be said about Luke Adam.

But in my predictions, Cormier was my 3rd choice for my 2nd rounder behing Sauvé and Grachev. So seeing him go at that rank didn't surprise me one bit.

But what you're saying can also be true. It could be the real meaning of "they went just before we picked" phrase Timmins said after the draft....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:15 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Try to convince me that the last two picks yesterday - the giant goalie and the smallish American kid - are better players than some available guys in the Q - and I am not saying that they have to be born in Quebec - just playing wherever in the Q !

Colorado and Buffalo were "able" to find three each ! Anaheim, Toronto and New-jersey, two each...
How about you look at hfboards prospects rankings for Anaheim, Toronto and NJ and compare them to the Habs rank. Please let me know who is doing the best scouting between the four.

You probably haven't seen any of these prospects play yet you think your opinion is better than professional scouts who are paid to do this as a job and who have a great track record. Pathetic.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Mustafa*

I'm starting to think that some people believe Timmins and Gainey to be evil and have hatred toward French-Canadians.

Maybe you should go and start a new thread on this forum

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:52 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I'm starting to think that some people believe Timmins and Gainey to be evil and have hatred toward French-Canadians.

I would've linked them to the leafs board, but thats fine too.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:55 PM
ed ible*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bainey View Post
Is anyone else really anoyed with how RDS is crying about montreal not getting any Quebequers? Its like all they can see is Quebec, Quebec, Quebec. they would rather the habs draft some loser quebequer than a GOOD player of any other kind. GRRR....
Nope and neither is Bob Gainey...............We are so fruking lucking to have him as our GM it is not even funny.

GO BOB!

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post

Yeah, it's funny that some do, but ignore the fact that Gainey learned French for the fans of the habs.

He also never sat down for more than 15 minutes during the first round till around the 25th pick when he didn't move. Before that he was consistently gone from the habs table.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:58 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I believe that this year after year will stop next year. 09 should be a nice year for the Q even though it's strong overall. We could have 3 guys in the top 30. But I may be too optimistic due to my bias opinion.....
We'll see, I can't imagine any Quebec players in the top 10 of next draft. Then again, I haven't looked at the rankings lately.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris View Post
We don't need another D-man unless it's of the Michael Roszival, Jason Smith, Brooks Orpik, Brad Stuart variety, and it HAS to be under 3 mil. We've got 11 mil in Markov - Hamrlik, plus we're going to need to sign Komisarek.

Markov - Komi
Hamrlik - O'Byrne / lower tier FA
Gorges - Boullion

Carle, Valentenko, Subban, Weber, McDonagh, Fischer, Emelin

I'd be shocked if one of those prospects doesn't make the team in 2 years, so we're set for both now and the future. Our top 4 + Gorges, barring something strange, should be locked up for a while, with bottom pairing D not that hard to find.
IMO Rozsival isn't that good defensively. He's not like Smith, Orpik, or Stuart.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
IMO Rozsival isn't that good defensively. He's not like Smith, Orpik, or Stuart.

yeah, I wonder if people actually watched rozsival in the 2nd half of last year... he was struggling to say the least

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Kikizaz

Quote:
All others things being close the Habs should pick from the Q. Fans desrve to see hometown boys. The Habs had a shot at Bergeron and flubbed it.... The other approach the Habs can take is to choose who they believe is the BPA but trade for francophones. At the price of tickets now the fans deserve some homegrown talent and players who can communicate with the media.
Bergeron grew up a Nordiques fan. He has said in interviews that he hates the habs. I love his play/ but he will never play for us. The fans deserve homegrown talent. Sure i can agree with that... i guess that is why our 25th overall pick got us "homegrown talent." Enter Alex Tanguay. Also... this argument that the ticket prices give you certain rights is bull. When you pay 100 dollars, you are paying 100 to see a game, not a name.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:41 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
yeah, I wonder if people actually watched rozsival in the 2nd half of last year... he was struggling to say the least
I agree, he also he took many, many stupid penalties in the games I watched him play.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bainey View Post
Is anyone else really anoyed with how RDS is crying about montreal not getting any Quebequers? Its like all they can see is Quebec, Quebec, Quebec. they would rather the habs draft some loser quebequer than a GOOD player of any other kind. GRRR....
yup I wanted to kill that guy on RIS Saturday morning.The night before the Habs management were the best in the league for getting Tanguay the french superstars and because Saturday they did not draft a french player they complained and did not even know what kind of player we picked.Also they don't even know the Habs tried to trade up to get Deschamps but they still complain,screw them

Will we be cheering for Team USA in 2010?

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-23-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 09:06 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Try to convince me that the last two picks yesterday - the giant goalie and the smallish American kid - are better players than some available guys in the Q - and I am not saying that they have to be born in Quebec - just playing wherever in the Q !

Colorado and Buffalo were "able" to find three each ! Anaheim, Toronto and New-jersey, two each...
Maybe so, but why draft a player from the Q if he is not on your list? Just to say you drafted a Q player?

The scouts figure out who they like and they pick those players. You should never let geography be a factor. Or are you suggesting that the "giant goalie" is a throw away pick?

They could have drafted a Q guy 7th round in 05 instead of a smallish Belarus Sergei Kostitsyn.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
All others things being close the Habs should pick from the Q. Fans desrve to see hometown boys. The Habs had a shot at Bergeron and flubbed it. Where the Habs go wrong is choosing slower skaters. It sometimes appears that many fans dont appreciate skating. If the player is a great skater that is one huge obstacle to overcome. That is Gainey's plan going forward as he has said so many times. Bergeron was a great skater and is a home area boy who can communicate with the media. In my mind a player like Wick, Chip are wasted picks unless in later rounds. Savard (actually Paul Coffey was the man that year, another fantastic skater), Chip, Bilideau etc were wasted picks. A pick like Jose Charbonneau didnt turn out but IMHO he was a great choice. The Oilers chose great skaters in 1979 and 1980 and ended up with Anderson, Messier and Coffey. Sather then switched to slowpokes and developed nothing much. The Q produces great skaters and so should be given a lil more emphasis. As for grit there are few plyers more courageous than Lafleur, Richard and Lemieux. They just are not western farmboy goofballs that put machismo first and they turned it up for the playoffs. One defining feature of the Francophone players in the past was pride in winning in the playoffs and turning it up accordingly. We can sound like Don Cherry when we assume Tanguay is less gritty than Joe Sakic. Tang is better defensively in my opinion. The other approach the Habs can take is to choose who they believe is the BPA but trade for francophones. At the price of tickets now the fans deserve some homegrown talent and players who can communicate with the media.
You've got to be ******** me, Charbonneau didn't pan out but is a GREAT pick??? Then you write off Chipchura even before his career is over? ***?!?!?

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 09:27 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez View Post
Habs pushed hard for Deschamps
If they wanted him so badly, why didn't they take him at 25?

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 09:32 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
If they wanted him so badly, why didn't they take him at 25?
Because they used 25 to take Tanguay?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:11 PM
deandebean

I was just watching RDS, where you had my buddy Stéphane Leroux and Gaston Therrien (who was coaching midget AA in Repentigny while I was a young lad working for a local newspaper), and I couldn't get over a thought that Timmins is probably dead tired of being harassed by local writers who seem to challenge him all the time of the subject. And is probably looking elsewhere for work.

Don't be suprised if the guy leaves. He looked like he wanted to KILL Leroux during the interview, even though Leroux was agreeing with him. It was like: "How dare do you keep on questioning my choices, after all I brought to this fricking team!"

The guy won't stand for this, I'm pretty sure.

And Montreal will be losing the best talent evaluator in the league probably (at least top 3).

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:30 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Because they used 25 to take Tanguay?
Kyle Woodleif thought Deschamps would be gone before the Canadiens selected at 25.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:15 PM
airlouche

Who care about Deschamps?except Rejean Tremblay of course.
Guys, we got Tanguay!!

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:18 PM
airlouche

BTW, Rejean Tremblay and his 'Indigènes' story really piss me off.

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:23 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
I was just watching RDS, where you had my buddy Stéphane Leroux and Gaston Therrien (who was coaching midget AA in Repentigny while I was a young lad working for a local newspaper), and I couldn't get over a thought that Timmins is probably dead tired of being harassed by local writers who seem to challenge him all the time of the subject. And is probably looking elsewhere for work.

Don't be suprised if the guy leaves. He looked like he wanted to KILL Leroux during the interview, even though Leroux was agreeing with him. It was like: "How dare do you keep on questioning my choices, after all I brought to this fricking team!"

The guy won't stand for this, I'm pretty sure.

And Montreal will be losing the best talent evaluator in the league probably (at least top 3).
That interview was from like 6 months ago.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote