HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Round 2, pick #51 - Rangers select C Derek Stepan (Shat.-St. Mary's, High-MN)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2008, 07:22 AM
UAGoalieGuy

vCash: 500
stephan is the type of prospect that the Rangers system is lacking, a potential finisher/goalscorer (Aside from Chereponov). The team has a lot of potential 2nd and 3rd liners but not too many are in the mold of a natural goal-scoring threat. Most are playmakers.

I like the pick. Top 6 potential AND is a goal scoring threat, i'll take that.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:07 AM
eco's bones

He has some filling out to do. Have to figure at least 2 maybe 3 years at Wisconson if things turn out well. Wisconson has been one of the best college programs ever since I can remember. Can't go wrong with that.

Old
06-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Amen, bro. Some of these people are freakin' ridiculous. Just because you've never heard of the guy, its a bad pick? So YOU have never heard of the guy, but Rangers scouts and staff have heard of him, seen him, and obviously like him enough to pick him in the 2nd round.... but he's a bad pick.

I for one have heard of him... I follow draft prospects very closely, and I for one like the pick. This kid is a potential steal.
You folks should listen to Gaffney - he knows whereof he speaks!

McKeen's had him at 61, ISS at 74, so he's not an unknown quantity by any strethc. Even Redline, who had him a few rounds later, said he could surprise as a second-round pick.

Quoting myself here:
Quote:
Many scouts went to watch Shattuck Saint-Mary for David Toews, but came away more impressed with his teammate Derek Stepan. At 6-0/168, the pivot has some filling in to do, but scouts say he has a wide frame, protects the puck well and is strong on his skates, leading [me] to believe that he'll be able to add the necessary bulk to compete at the NHL level.

They love his offensive tools: he's a creative set-up man and one of the better natural snipers in the draft, boasting a quick and accurate release on a variety of shots. Stepan shows great hockey sense, plays hard on the forecheck and backcheck, and is strong at the faceoff dot - a true two-way player who could play second or third line while seeing time on both the PP and PK.
When he hits the NHL (and I believe it's "when" rather than "if"), he should come in at around 6-1/190, which is plenty big enough for a guy with good anticipation. Going to Wisconsin he's going to be contending for a National Championship right away (with consecutive Frozen Four appearances not out of the question).

Good pickup for the Blueshirts.

Old
06-22-2008, 02:27 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

its a gamble pick..he has the potential do do serious damage in a couple of years after being at wisconsin

Old
06-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Edge

This is a draft and wait kind of pick.

The talent is there, but his skills and his body are going to take time.

I like his speed and his hockey sense especially. He seems to really know how things are going around him.

From here the key will obviously be experience and pushing himself to the next level.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:04 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
stephan is the type of prospect that the Rangers system is lacking, a potential finisher/goalscorer (Aside from Chereponov). The team has a lot of potential 2nd and 3rd liners but not too many are in the mold of a natural goal-scoring threat. Most are playmakers.

I like the pick. Top 6 potential AND is a goal scoring threat, i'll take that.
I agree. I like this kid.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:10 PM
broadwayblue

any video of this kid?

Old
06-22-2008, 08:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
any video of this kid?
I've been looking everywhere for any media, including photos, of him.

Only thing i've found is:

Old
06-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Well, he was ranked 56th. So we picked him around where he was ranked.

Patterns his game after Mike Modano.

After a quick read through his small profile, he sounds like he can be a damn good player.

We'll see, though. I'm pissed off we missed out on Staal.
This was me Saturday -

Old
06-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Nich

i like the pick..i mean really, how can you not like any pick that is going to Wisconsin?

Old
06-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i like the pick..i mean really, how can you not like any pick that is going to Wisconsin?
Thats his most redeeming quality.

But then theres - Dom Moore, David Inman, Lee Falardeau, Ken Roche, Darin Olver, Billy Ryan, etc.

Is this just another case of same old same old with these 2nd & 3rd rounders?

Old
06-23-2008, 11:03 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

But then theres - Dom Moore, David Inman, Lee Falardeau, Ken Roche, Darin Olver, Billy Ryan, etc.

i dont think so....seems like a good kid who works hard and has the knack for scoring goals....im good with this considering where he played last season and everything i have read....also, wisconsin is a very good hockey school and i believe he will do well.....im excited to see what he can do

Old
06-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i dont think so....seems like a good kid who works hard and has the knack for scoring goals....im good with this considering where he played last season and everything i have read....also, wisconsin is a very good hockey school and i believe he will do well.....im excited to see what he can do
The same thing you just said was exactly what was being said about the stiffs I listed. Granted, they didnt go to Shattuck, but thats not all its cracked up to be.

Lightweight Centers with not much grit to their game, thats what I think our organization has targeted in round 2, sans the Russians we've picked up and the Dubinsky pick.

Old
06-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Nich

Quote:

wisconsin is better than all the programs those guys went to...

Old
06-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
wisconsin is better than all the programs those guys went to...
I agree, thats why I'm totally not ******** on this pick....yet

Old
06-23-2008, 11:40 AM
NYR Viper

the thing is that he socres a ton of goals and he impressed A LOT of scouts when they went to see toews play.....plus he is moving to wing and going to wisconsin and i think he will be able to gain 20-30 lbs in his first couple of years there....i say good pick

Old
06-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

"The Wisconsin recruits (Brock Montpetit, Jordy Murray and Derek Stepan) -- As Murray skated up and down the ice with #14 on his back...it was hard not to think of Brady. He plays exactly like Brady did. He's always buzzing. Stepan might have been the most impressive. He played in all phases of the game and was especially good on the penalty kill. He scored Shattuck's first goal, collecting a loose puck in the slot and beating the goalie to the glove side. Of the three, I thought Montpetit was the least impressive. He was still solid."

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=5392

Now I get it, he's also got that PK skill we seem to covet.

Old
06-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Wisconsin will be great for him. It's as near a pro program as any in college hockey. With Turris gone to Phoenix, there should be more ice time available for him.

Old
06-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Wisconsin will be great for him. It's as near a pro program as any in college hockey. With Turris gone to Phoenix, there should be more ice time available for him.
Did you notice I had him pegged for us in later rounds in my draft preview?

Old
06-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Did you notice I had him pegged for us in later rounds in my draft preview?
Your wrote a draft preview?

Old
06-23-2008, 12:53 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
"The Wisconsin recruits (Brock Montpetit, Jordy Murray and Derek Stepan) -- As Murray skated up and down the ice with #14 on his back...it was hard not to think of Brady. He plays exactly like Brady did. He's always buzzing. Stepan might have been the most impressive. He played in all phases of the game and was especially good on the penalty kill. He scored Shattuck's first goal, collecting a loose puck in the slot and beating the goalie to the glove side. Of the three, I thought Montpetit was the least impressive. He was still solid."

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/?blog=5392

Now I get it, he's also got that PK skill we seem to covet.
nice...its nice to see he is defensivley respononsible...however it says he will switch to wing which is a huge plus

Old
06-23-2008, 01:09 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

this is totally OT...but i didnt want to start a whole thread for one simple question...

what was the song used by versus during the draft?

Old
06-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Edge

Quote:

Problem is, how many projected "safe" third liners can we take? At some point, we have to take a swing for some offense.

I don't think you're being that fair with your commnets though. You could also point to the second and third rounders and come up with names like Tyutin, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Hillier, Saur, Dupont and Byers as well.

Long story short - the second round is the Rangers "take a swing" round. They've produced some busts for sure - but they've also produced two potential top six forwards, one second pair defenseman and one potential NHL blueliner, two potential third line players with offense and a potential big league agitator who pops in some points. Why do we focus on the Olver's and not the fact that we got Dubinsky and Byers out of that same round? I think we have to find some middle ground there.

I expect this draft to be much of the same.

Old
06-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Problem is, how many projected "safe" third liners can we take? At some point, we have to take a swing for some offense.

I don't think you're being that fair with your commnets though. You could also point to the second and third rounders and come up with names like Tyutin, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Hillier, Saur, Dupont and Byers as well.

Long story short - the second round is the Rangers "take a swing" round. They've produced some busts for sure - but they've also produced two potential top six forwards, one second pair defenseman and one potential NHL blueliner, two potential third line players with offense and a potential big league agitator who pops in some points. Why do we focus on the Olver's and not the fact that we got Dubinsky and Byers out of that same round? I think we have to find some middle ground there.

I expect this draft to be much of the same.
Edge, this Stepan kid is not in the mold of a Dubinsky, Anisimov, or Tyutin - he's exactly like those other guys I listed - thin slick offensive guys who make noise in the college/minors and look like career AHL'ers at their highest peak.

You're right about taking a shot at top line potential, but again, we did that with Olver, seems like our scouts have a one track mind sometimes.

Old
06-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Edge, this Stepan kid is not in the mold of a Dubinsky, Anisimov, or Tyutin - he's exactly like those other guys I listed - thin slick offensive guys who make noise in the college/minors and look like career AHL'ers at their highest peak.

You're right about taking a shot at top line potential, but again, we did that with Olver, seems like our scouts have a one track mind sometimes.
I can't say for sure, but I have a hard time believing Olver was as developed physically/mentally/skilled as Stepan at this point in Stepan's development. I have a feeling Stepan isn't going to be like our previous offensive NCAA flops.

Closed Thread