HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Overall Draft Grade

View Poll Results: grade
10 3 2.16%
9 6 4.32%
8 38 27.34%
7 57 41.01%
6 17 12.23%
5 5 3.60%
4 6 4.32%
3 2 1.44%
2 0 0%
1 5 3.60%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
In general, I think this draft was just a different kid of draft for the Rangers.

Their first three picks were really based around getting guys who bring offense.

One from the blueline, one from the pivot spot and one from the wing.

Obviously they didn't abandon character, but I think this draft really reflected a belief that character is wonderful but you really need some guys who have a shot to put up points on the top two lines.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:00 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I have a good feeling about this draft.

We got all very good players with a lot of potential.

Del Zotto is obviously a dynamic player.

Stepan seems like a very well rounded, highly skilled, scoring winger. All things written about him, there really doesn't seem to be anything negative about him.

Grachev was highly rated, at one point he was ahead of Petrov in the European rankings.

Kundratek was the highest ranked Czech in the draft.

Weise is another scoring forward that projects to top 6.

Doyle has potential.

Gaulton is supposed to be a two way guy with a heavy shot from the point.

I think we did very well considering we didn't make any splashes, we managed to yet again for the 4th straight season get a steal in the first round.

On a secondary note, was Stepan not at the draft? No photos of him pulling on the jersey. He was ranked 58 by Central Scouting...

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 10:17 PM
BwayBshirt

kind of along the lines of what edge and mikku are saying i like the feel of this years' draft by the rangers.

they didn't make a splash but they didn't just draft guys out of need for physical attributes (size, speed) or for character. they seemed to place a real, concentrated effort on natural hockey skill with this crop. guys born to play the game if you all will.

notice how the early write-ups say "this guy can skate, that guy has hands, this guy can really move the puck" etc. that's more of the skill i like to hear about not "this guy goes to the net" or "that guy throws hits".

i believe that this, at its most simple form, is the red wings' model for drafting. you can teach guys to play defense, to be more aggressive on offense and on defense. to have better awareness on the ice. you can't improve what they already showcase on the ice at this stage of their lives.

and also i can't complain that once again they were able to grab a skilled player whose stock fell in the 1st.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Am I wrong in thinking this draft hinges on the development of Stepan?

IMO there wasn't much choice for us at the picks of Del Zotto and Grachev who were in most eyes BPA. We rolled the dice on Kundratek with a pick gotten from another high risk player in Bourret. We all know Doyle and Gaulton are not the surest bets in the lot by a mile, but also can surprise. Wiese is a weird pick seeing as he's older and not a flashy pick in the mile, but looks to have a pro look to his game.

I just feel that the second round pick is where the strength of our draft will center around.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

You guys don't like Derek Olver in the 2nd round

Well, guess we'll wait and see. Besides round one I just feel like we have drafted yet more of the same type of players our organization has seen come and go.

We'll see in due time.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Cherepanov 71

I give our draft an 8, but it depends on whether guys pan out, could be even better than an 8. Del Zotto and Stepan have high potential, and Grachev is on pace to be a contributor in the NHL. Knowing less about the rest of the picks it seems Gaulton was highly regarded before getting hurt. Could turn out to be a great draft for us.

Cherepanov 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 08:37 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanov 71 View Post
I give our draft an 8, but it depends on whether guys pan out, could be even better than an 8. Del Zotto and Stepan have high potential, and Grachev is on pace to be a contributor in the NHL. Knowing less about the rest of the picks it seems Gaulton was highly regarded before getting hurt. Could turn out to be a great draft for us.
Sure, as others have said, this is by no means a final evaluation. It's just at first glance, how-satisfied-are-you type of thing. This draft could very well be a 10 or a 1 in three or four years.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 08:38 AM
Cherepanov 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Sure, as others have said, this is by no means a final evaluation. It's just at first glance, how-satisfied-are-you type of thing. This draft could very well be a 10 or a 1 in three or four years.

Exactly, it has alot of promise though, just have to wait and see.

Old
06-23-2008, 08:49 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Chere, who is the chick in your avy?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Cherepanov 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Chere, who is the chick in your avy?
ahhh yess Anastasia Ashley, shes a surfer.

Old
06-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Every team can say that today, come on guys, give some opinions rather than - 'looks like some guys could be solid'.

IMO, we drafted the same type of players who have burned us before, not sure if Edge's "Top two line" philosophy really applies here. We've done this kind of thing before.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Cherepanov 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Every team can say that today, come on guys, give some opinions rather than - 'looks like some guys could be solid'.

IMO, we drafted the same type of players who have burned us before, not sure if Edge's "Top two line" philosophy really applies here. We've done this kind of thing before.

Alright

Del Zotto- Has the tools to just fall right under the top tier defense man in this draft. From all accounts if he progressed a little more he may have been a top 10 pick. His offensive skills could be the best in the system. If his defensive play progresses than wow he is a steal.

Stepan- Can't say I knew anything about this kid pre-draft, but from what I read he could be an offensive dynamo. High risk high reward player who adds to this teams glaring need for scoring prospects besides cherepanov.

Grachev- Seems to be built from the same mold as Anisimov, who everyone here loves. What more needs to be said, a large body with the skills to go along.

Gaulton- Was drafted 2 spots behind Del Zotto in the OHL draft, so we know he has the skill, but an injury has slowed his progress. For a 6th round pick he is worth the gamble.

I dont know much about the rest of the picks, but these guys have potential. We got a steal with Del Zotto.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Nothing wrong with the Del Zotto pick, not afraid for his defensive game either, I think he'll be fine.

As for Stepan - he has the offensive potential, and I like the fact he's going to Wisconsin, but I still have a hard time believing he was the BPA.

Grachev might work with Cherepanov & Asiminov. Then again he could this years Zdenek Bahensky.

Kundratek seems like a good fit where we drafted him, no problems here.

Weise Can't believe how many younger guys with potential we passed up here for an overager who had a good playoff in the CHL.

Doyle is an ok pick, again there were some others guys who were available that have more upside.

Gaulton - good late round pick.

Last edited by Bluenote13: 06-23-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old
06-23-2008, 11:06 AM
NYR Viper

like i said before, i like the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th rounds.....

i especially like gaulton, just because he is physical, has a great attitude and has a bomb of a shot....i think he will do well once he is healthy...could be one to watch

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
I have a good feeling about this draft.

We got all very good players with a lot of potential.

Del Zotto is obviously a dynamic player.

Stepan seems like a very well rounded, highly skilled, scoring winger. All things written about him, there really doesn't seem to be anything negative about him.

Grachev was highly rated, at one point he was ahead of Petrov in the European rankings.

Kundratek was the highest ranked Czech in the draft.

Weise is another scoring forward that projects to top 6.

Doyle has potential.

Gaulton is supposed to be a two way guy with a heavy shot from the point.

I think we did very well considering we didn't make any splashes, we managed to yet again for the 4th straight season get a steal in the first round.

On a secondary note, was Stepan not at the draft? No photos of him pulling on the jersey. He was ranked 58 by Central Scouting...
Agree for the most part except Weise. I really don't see top 6 potential, even if he does develop.

Old
06-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Edge

Quote:
I think to some extent, the Rangers are at a point where they have to take some swings at offensive guys.

These aren't the safe picks or guys who will be third line players in time. In some cases they are either offensive players or they aren't.

Del Zotto won't make it as a defensive defenseman if his offense fails. Same with Stepan and Grachev. But to some extent this team has to roll the dice a little and see if they can get some players who can score at a higher pace at the NHL level. It's a higher risk, higher reward like system.

If two of the top three picks can make it, we'll have done very well for ourselves. Years from now we'll either say "Wow we got some point contributers out of that draft" or we'll say "Wow, we got one guy out of the draft...ouch."

Old
06-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think to some extent, the Rangers are at a point where they have to take some swings at offensive guys.

These aren't the safe picks or guys who will be third line players in time. In some cases they are either offensive players or they aren't.

Del Zotto won't make it as a defensive defenseman if his offense fails. Same with Stepan and Grachev. But to some extent this team has to roll the dice a little and see if they can get some players who can score at a higher pace at the NHL level. It's a higher risk, higher reward like system.

If two of the top three picks can make it, we'll have done very well for ourselves. Years from now we'll either say "Wow we got some point contributers out of that draft" or we'll say "Wow, we got one guy out of the draft...ouch."
I'm kinda thinking it'll be a one guy draft. Of course i'm saying this just days after the draft though

You don't think Stepan was a Darin Olver type pick? Thin, slick offensive player who can kill penalties....

Old
06-24-2008, 10:19 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

looking back, i like what sather did....he added a lot of depth and they are starting to show themselves now with good qualities and team players and now for the next couple of years he will take higher risk/reward players to fill the other lines....the whole system needed to be rebuilt and he probably figured the higher end players could be brought in for a few years with the cheap young talent coming up through the system for the bottom 2 lines/pairs

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Ace2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I think it was a mediocre draft. Seems to me that they took a huge gamble on their 2nd rounder again for the 2nd time in as many years. I guess they see something in the guy they like enough to go after him, and I hope they are right.

Overall again though I think it was just mediocre.

Their pick of Del Zotto has me scratchng my head a little with Carlson still on the board. Maybe they didn't like Carlson at all though? I am pretty certain though that the Rangers didn't think at all they were going to draft Del Zotto though. Clark mentioned to Blueshirt Bulletin that they were looking to advance in this draft. I guess they had someone in mind, but for whatever reason it didn't happen. Maybe they got outbid, or maybe thier player was already gone by the time they were up to the team they were trying to deal with? One thing is certain to me though, I don't think they had any intentions on drafting Del Zotto becuase they didn't have a jersey with the guys name on it. I would love to know who they really were targeting in this draft. Maybe it will come out in an interview later on.

After last off-season though, this one seems to be starting off quite the opposite. Last year they had Cherepanov fall on their laps. This year they draft a player that is strikingly similar to one already in the system.

I also have the feeling that the July 1 will not be at all like last years also. Larry Brooks reporting that they don't intend to basically re-sign any of their UFA's. Definately leaves me scratching my head a little here. The glaring problem that I see here though is supply and demand driving the value of this UFA class through the roof! I have a feeling the Rangers are going to miss the boat somewhat in this off-season, and we are going to see a lot of kids in the system next year from Hartford.

Realize that Del zotto is 6'211 and a very good hitting/ skating defender that can rush the puck like a forward but is essentially raw in the Defensive zone. Think Tanabe

On the other Hand the lanky Sanguinetti has explosive 2 way ability but is at least 14-18 months away from filling out and being a reasonable PPQB. His skill is close to Rozsival but his lean frame isn't going to hold up long under NHL hitting.

As for the UFA's ...The 5 can be filled very easily because this year a conf championship/Stanley Cup is the goal

So the A.Foote's, M.Sundin's and Jagr's are coming here for a short 1-2 yr deal and the only key is which utility grinder is Sather going to add. Matt Cooke and Jarko Ruutu look like decent fits but truthfully Ruutu might be a bit pricey for his 4th line skillset=-=-but Cooke should be solid @ around 1.5 mill for any of the lines.

The key really is this team has to look at what Buffalo and Pittsburgh the last 2 teams that eliminated NYR had.

4 lines rolling constantly. Yes the Briere-Drury/ Malkin-Crosby duo's were the Centers of attention but those were 4 line teams w/ great size/ skill/ exp on Defense.

NYR need 2 hitting defenders that can actually stay healthy
and 1`or 2 utility grinders like Cooke

if Sundin comes over for say 5+bonuses and Jagr comes over for 5+ bonuses they can bust through the cap by up to 5% or about 3 million as well as having some verbal deals to resign the players next season if they make the cup finals. The key isn't just Cap C@$# but length of contract!!

for eg

Prucha--------Dubi-----JJ (7.3 cap hit+bonus)

Dawes--------Sundin---Sjostrom(7.5 + bonus)

Drury---------Gomez---Moore(15 cap hit)

Korpikoski----Betts-----Callahan(2 cap hit)

Staal------Foote/Redden/Roz*1-2yr deal only 5.4 cap hit*

Tyutin-----Commodore*5.6 cap hit*

Backman--Girardi (3.8 cap hit)

Lundqvist
Valliquette 7.2cap hit_)

54.8 cap hit and of course there's just enough room for the spares/ inj reserves like Strudwick, Orr, Byers---TRADE HOllwegg... to the Western Conf!

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:45 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
Prucha--------Dubi-----JJ (7.3 cap hit+bonus)

Dawes--------Sundin---Sjostrom(7.5 + bonus)
I've seen others saying Sjostrom is second line material and after watching him I want to know what this is actually based upon. Not saying it's not possible but he looked like a 3rd liner at best to me and certainly not somebody I'd put with a Sundin.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:52 AM
McRanger

Quote:
I'm kinda thinking it'll be a one guy draft. Of course i'm saying this just days after the draft though

You don't think Stepan was a Darin Olver type pick? Thin, slick offensive player who can kill penalties....
Similar "type" of player but Olver was well over a year older than Stepan when he was drafted in '04, he already had a year at NMU which at best is a second tier college for development. His freshman year could mean the difference between him looking like an Olver or a Parise as a 19 year old. Not sure we can fairly compare development.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:54 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Hard to believe that a couple of Debbie girl posters rated the Rangers draft as so poor. Hard to believe I tell you....

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:57 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I've seen others saying Sjostrom is second line material and after watching him I want to know what this is actually based upon. Not saying it's not possible but he looked like a 3rd liner at best to me and certainly not somebody I'd put with a Sundin.
Marcel Hossa Syndrome. He was a high pick and has the skill to play on top lines, people just don't understand that its very unlikely he actually puts everything together.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Fletch

Sjostrom with Sundin?

that's like Tim Sweeney playing with Gretzky - thought we were over with those days.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Edge

Quote:

It depends really.

He could be the next Olver and never take it to the next level or he could be a Dubinsky type who grows, adds some mass and puts the pieces together.

I think that's just the way that pick is going to be. The Rangers aren't really hurting for bottom line, character guys so they rolled the dice a little more.