HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Muskoka Five/Country Club Atmosphere

Old
06-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Muskoka Five/Country Club Atmosphere

On hfboards and in Toronto, it's almost taken as a fact that the Leafs have a 'country club atmosphere' and that the Muskoka Five are a lazy and selfish clique. But to me, Sundin is a hardworking leader, McCabe is effective in the lineup at times and although I don't love him, I acknowledge that he works hard out there. Kaberle is a great contributor and is often called upon to captain Team Czech, Kubina was coming off injury and finally started looking comfortable late in the season. Tucker had a terrible injury plagued season and he probably thinks he's a better player than he is, but he gives a good effort out there too. Sure, the Leafs sucked and probably underachieved a bit from what they could have done, but where did this myth come from anyway?

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 01:26 PM
RyanMac

Send a message via AIM to RyanMac Send a message via MSN to RyanMac
A lot of it can be attributed to Cliff Fletcher who said the atmosphere was too comfortable within the organization and they need to shake the core up to change the attitude.

RyanMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 01:27 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
On hfboards and in Toronto, it's almost taken as a fact that the Leafs have a 'country club atmosphere' and that the Muskoka Five are a lazy and selfish clique. But to me, Sundin is a hardworking leader, McCabe is effective in the lineup at times and although I don't love him, I acknowledge that he works hard out there. Kaberle is a great contributor and is often called upon to captain Team Czech, Kubina was coming off injury and finally started looking comfortable late in the season. Tucker had a terrible injury plagued season and he probably thinks he's a better player than he is, but he gives a good effort out there too. Sure, the Leafs sucked and probably underachieved a bit from what they could have done, but where did this myth come from anyway?
Ignorant and non educated leaf fans could confuse Muskoka 5" with players that wanted to stay with the team because they don't want to quit, and believe they are better than the way they have shown.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Ten

Lack of accountability for losing? Failure to pull the team together at the most dire of situations? Seemingly endless amounts of inconsistency on and off the ice?

Paul Maurice had a lot to do with that.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Snipeshow

"Country Club Atmosphere" and "Muskoka 5" are 2 terms used on these boards that make me want to punch a baby in the face. They annoy me too much.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
"Country Club Atmosphere" and "Muskoka 5" are 2 terms used on these boards that make me want to punch a baby in the face. They annoy me too much.

What did the baby do to you? (Careful, it might be Bob Probert's Baby)

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Jerkini

Can anyone even explain the Muskoka 5 thing to me? I'm guessing four of the five players don't spend any time at all in Muskoka...

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 02:17 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Belive it started with a reporter and picked up on by the message board professionals.

I'd be willing to bet that neither have been part of a team in their lives.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 02:23 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Can anyone even explain the Muskoka 5 thing to me? I'm guessing four of the five players don't spend any time at all in Muskoka...
I think it just had to do with the general idea that they'd rather be up at the cottage than grinding it out in the playoffs (the implication being, of course, that they are lazy clods).

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 02:30 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnuthead View Post
I think it just had to do with the general idea that they'd rather be up at the cottage than grinding it out in the playoffs (the implication being, of course, that they are lazy clods).
and what's mind boggling is that some believe that to be true.

Old
06-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
Basically it's all completely BS.

Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Saul
S'all Good Man

OT - last summer Adam Foote bought a new cottage down the road from mine!

Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Barilko14

I thought 'Muskoka 5' and 'Country Club Atmosphere' had more to do with getting too comfortable with losing, then being lazy/selfish players.

Barilko14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Corleone

Send a message via MSN to Corleone
I thought it was the 5 guys with No movement/trade clauses... not the lazy players.

Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
What's this? Common ground?

As I said in another thread, the one that always really gets me is Kaberle. What the hell did he ever do to deserve that moniker? He's been more consistent than anyone of the 5 save for Sundin. He's highly valued and respected around the league and he makes less than what he's worth because he wants to play in Toronto. I've never got the feeling from Kaberle that he takes losing lightly. He seems to demand a lot of himself, at least from the interviews I've seen.

As I recall, it was Wilbur who first coined the term, which should tell us all we need to know about its ancestry...

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Wheels

It's not even a "clique". That suggests that these five guys hang out together all the time and are basically a unified group that is isolated from the rest. Sort of like it apparently was when Tucker, Corson, Roberts, Domi and McCabe were supposedly an inseparable group of buddies that corrupted the dressing room.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:52 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
It's not even a "clique". That suggests that these five guys hang out together all the time and are basically a unified group that is isolated from the rest. Sort of like it apparently was when Tucker, Corson, Roberts, Domi and McCabe were supposedly an inseparable group of buddies that corrupted the dressing room.
No they weren't.

Old
06-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
No they weren't.
I said supposedly. There were plenty of stories of how Corson, Tucker and Domi were always together, and I thought Roberts and to a lesser extent McCabe were part of that cabal as well. You know different?

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Courage*

Well, the Corson/Tucker relationship is obvious, but as I recall Roberts stood on the other side of that particular conflict according the reports.

Who knows? It's all water under the bridge now.

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilko14 View Post
I thought 'Muskoka 5' and 'Country Club Atmosphere' had more to do with getting too comfortable with losing, then being lazy/selfish players.
exactly

they would rather stick together here in the spotlight and be content losing than move on in their hockey careers

sure, they try hard down the stretch, but not when it matters most...like the majority of the season

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
exactly

they would rather stick together here in the spotlight and be content losing than move on in their hockey careers

sure, they try hard down the stretch, but not when it matters most...like the majority of the season
for sure

it seems a little odd for several 32+ year olds to be content with sticking around through a rebuild when they're given an oppurtunity to play for contending teams down the stretch.

Barilko14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4LIFE View Post
Ignorant and non educated leaf fans could confuse Muskoka 5" with players that wanted to stay with the team because they don't want to quit, and believe they are better than the way they have shown.
this is the 3rd season for this kind of hockey

how much is enough!

they triedthere best but it wasnt good enough!

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
I said supposedly. There were plenty of stories of how Corson, Tucker and Domi were always together, and I thought Roberts and to a lesser extent McCabe were part of that cabal as well. You know different?
Would that make it a McCabal?

For whatever reason, this combination of guys wasn't enough to help the Leafs make the playoffs in twoconsecutive years (can't hang that first year on Kubina). I believe they are all hard-working, competitive, conscientious guys, but for some reason they haven't been able to deliver the goods here.

I don't bear ill will towards a single one of them, but change has to come just to give the team a different look and feel going forward, and I think that's happening.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Mike1

Those individuals deserve all the criticism they get. They have been paid to be leaders & have shown a complete inability to be counted on.

Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote