Remember #9

vCash: 500
I voted for Matt Nickerson..

Old
05-31-2004, 01:41 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Oh come on.. How can Mattias Tjarnqvist lead this poll? This poll isn't about NHL readyness, it's about potential, strenghts and flaws. Tjarnqvist has 3rd line upside at best, he shouldn't even get one vote untill we've finished the top 10. But that's just my opinion.

Old
05-31-2004, 02:46 PM
Starsdude

I think you have to weigh the fact that Tjarnqvist could be a pretty good 3/4 liner soon with the reality that many prospects may never even get to Dallas. Only Nickerson, Hagos and Lessard deserve obvious consideration everyone else is quite a ways away. Questions about Nickerson's mobility/skating are there annd Lessard had one good college year so I do not think it is to crazy to put a guy who would have scored 20 if he had been at Utah all year and can kill penalties, has size at #7. Heck I would love for guys like Polak or Holtet emerge but right now they would struggle in the ECHL

Old
05-31-2004, 02:47 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
I think you have to weigh the fact that Tjarnqvist could be a pretty good 3/4 liner soon with the reality that many prospects may never even get to Dallas. Only Nickerson, Hagos and Lessard deserve obvious consideration everyone else is quite a ways away. Questions about Nickerson's mobility/skating are there annd Lessard had one good college year so I do not think it is to crazy to put a guy who would have scored 20 if he had been at Utah all year and can kill penalties, has size at #7. Heck I would love for guys like Polak or Holtet emerge but right now they would struggle in the ECHL
Like I said..

Quote:
This poll isn't about NHL readyness, it's about potential, strenghts and flaws

Old
05-31-2004, 03:51 PM
Starsdude

I would say NHL readiness is a key criteria in determining strengths and flaws. Obviously on pure talent the poll would be different

Old
06-02-2004, 12:17 PM
OttMorrow

Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
I chose Lessard over Tjarnqvist on this one because while both players will likely play next season, Lessard has a chance to be on the 2nd line and has more offensive potential.

Old
06-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = Dud
I voted for Matt Nickerson..
Quote:
Oh come on.. How can Mattias Tjarnqvist lead this poll? This poll isn't about NHL readyness, it's about potential, strenghts and flaws. Tjarnqvist has 3rd line upside at best, he shouldn't even get one vote untill we've finished the top 10. But that's just my opinion.
In my opinion, you've contradicted yourself here. Nickerson doesn't exactly have world-breaking potential either. If you're so intent on focusing on potential, then you should be voting for Polak

Old
06-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLUhipfan
In my opinion, you've contradicted yourself here. Nickerson doesn't exactly have world-breaking potential either. If you're so intent on focusing on potential, then you should be voting for Polak
I am a huge fan of Matt Nickerson, I won't deny. But I see his upside as that of a hard nosed #4 defenseman. Something which I consider more valueble then a 3rd/4th line winger. Especially when you consider his attributes such as toughness, size and not even that bad of an offensive game.

Vojtach Polak's upside is probably the highest among all the ones listed in the poll, but on the same hand, IMO he's also the furthest away from realising it, not as in years, but as developing. He's probably the biggest project here, something which I do value relatively high.

Old
06-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Dr GLU

But you just said it should have nothing to do with readiness in your mind. If Polak's upside is the highest, he should be your vote.

Bottom line: everyone rates prospects differently. Don't tell people how they should do it. Especially if you're not going to follow your own rules by overvaluing (IMO since I don't see Nickerson as a Top 10 guy yet) personal favorites.

Old
06-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLUhipfan
But you just said it should have nothing to do with readiness in your mind. If Polak's upside is the highest, he should be your vote.
No, as like I said, Polak is too much of a project for me to be ranked above some others here. That weighs alot for me. I pretty much judge them on potential and the chances of them realising it, I do not factor NHL readiness at all. I don't see how that should be valued. Just because a prospect was drafted a year or more earlier, that makes him ranking higher on the depthchart then some who has a superior, very realistic upside?

But sure, to each their own I guess.

Old
06-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Just because a prospect was drafted a year or more earlier, that makes him ranking higher on the depthchart then some who has a superior, very realistic upside?
If you're considering Nickerson's chances to be a second pair defenseman realistic, then you really are overrating him. He's just as much of a project as Polak at this point. I do think that he's better than most give him credit for, but he doesn't really stand out from how Erskine or Jancevski looked at this point in his career. Granted, he may become a #4 (it's impossible to know until all is said and done of course), but I consider him a third pair D at best right now.

Readiness should be considered, but potential matters more. Look at Tjarnqvist vs. Miettinen. There it's clear cut. They're both ready, but Miettinen's way more skilled. When you start considering guys that are ready vs. guys that haven't hit their potential it gets trickier. When a guy is clearly more skilled and very likely to make a similar or higher impact, I go with the younger guy (i.e. Eriksson and Jokinen vs. Tjarnqvist). However, if a player has more potential, but looks less likely to be a better player, then I go with the more ready player (i.e. Lessard, Hagos, Nickerson, and Polak vs. Tjarnqvist). And then goalies mess the whole thing up because comparing skaters to goalies is difficult at best.

Closed Thread