HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Higgins next year

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2004, 09:26 PM
ttnorm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Higgins getting his chance asap is important IMO, as the habs next season will answer many questions... There must be decisions made on that LW... the more our team decides to stockpile our C prospects on that wing, the more clogged it's going to get (I.E. Lambert was supposed to be signed today, if so, he's more natural to the LW) as well as Kastsitsyn/Higgins and Hossa.
This thinking worries me though I agree Higgins should play much more in Montreal next year, I don't think you'll know how good he will be until at least 200506. The biggest area that I think Higgins will improve on is his strength. Right now he is a baby bull on the boards. In 2-3 years, he will be a full fledged Brahma.

Old
06-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Makarov

Pleks for checking role...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
What makes you so sure he will NEVER play C????

Just because hes playing the wing in Hamilton, doesnt mean he is now a permanent left winger. In fact he does play C once in a while down there.
Subsequent to signing him Savard clearly indicated that the Canadiens would like to develop Higgins as a LW, primarily since he thought Higgins was more suited to play wing in the NHL and would not develop well as an NHL centerman...

Understandable...

It was in compliance with the Canadiens demand that he was played on LW in Hamilton, and only used as a fill in for center...

Even if Kovalev were to sign, we may have a spot on the top 2 lines for a winger, with Dagenais not being part of the lineup...

But then he may have competition for that with Hossa, possibly Perez, possibly Kastitsyn...

As for the 3rd line center spot...

Depends, if Gainey feels Dowd is worthy of signing, he will get the checking line center role...

If not, its Plekanec's to lose, with countryman Bulis playing on his LW, and who knows perhaps BRIAN ROLSTON on the right side...

Just thinking out loud...

I think it was Julien who said, Plekanec will play in the NHL, if not the Habs with someone else...

He more than paid his dues in the minors and boy has he impressed, he deserves that a roster spot more than anyone else in Hamilton, along with Hainsey in my opinion...

Last edited by Makarov: 06-02-2004 at 01:21 PM.
Old
06-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Darz

I think the easier answer to the question is it is still a real wait and see situation. I think management will give Higgins a really good look at camp next year (again assuming no lockout) and wether he stays in montreal will depend not only on how well his camp goes, but also partially how guys like Hossa and Plekanec do.

I mean there are only going to be so many jobs up for grabs and when you consider guys like Hossa are out of options next year as far as getting sent to Hamilton without clearing waivers, you gotta think they will get the shot in Montreal if everything is equal.....or even close to equal.

With that being said I think no matter what happens Higgins will be playing some games in Montreal next year (insert standard if no lockout comment here) because of poor performances on the big club, or injuries or something. I really think by the time the 2005-2006 training camp is under way, Higgins will pretty much have a lock on a roster spot in Montreal.

Closed Thread