HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Claim Kyle Wellwood

Old
06-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vCash: 500
Yeah, Cliff Fletcher has already announced they won't qualify him. So signing him at around $600K/$700K is definitely an option.

Burke's Evil Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Tb0ne

Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
Might his extra weight in that photograph have something to do with him having a cast on his foot? If he's the sort of person who puts on fat easily a lack of exercise could build up quickly.

Getting waived/bought out might just be the thing that makes him take both training and hockey seriously. We shouldn't be so quick to write off this idea (especially if it is for the right price).

Tb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
Might his extra weight in that photograph have something to do with him having a cast on his foot?
This is the Leafs we're talking about here.

Old
06-24-2008, 07:25 PM
rg_93

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
no we would have three scoring lines and kesler would centre the fourth line. Mo would centre the third line. Sedins the second. and a big name RFA/UFA on the first.
So Kesler.....in my opinion the best player down the (unsuccessful) final stretch of the season, who lead the checking/shutdown line against all the big units in the league, while still managing (along with Burrows) to chip in timely goals, provide the only real consistent offense (at a level expected or exceeding that of a checking third line) to ultimately cross the 20g plateau gets demoted to the fourth line to make way for this slow fatso Wellwood?!?!?

(Not to mention, you're not even putting Wellwood at centre with your idea...)

rg_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:37 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_93 View Post
So Kesler.....in my opinion the best player down the (unsuccessful) final stretch of the season, who lead the checking/shutdown line against all the big units in the league, while still managing (along with Burrows) to chip in timely goals, provide the only real consistent offense (at a level expected or exceeding that of a checking third line) to ultimately cross the 20g plateau gets demoted to the fourth line to make way for this slow fatso Wellwood?!?!?

(Not to mention, you're not even putting Wellwood at centre with your idea...)
If Wellwood is picked up. If Wellwood earns a spot on the team. IF Wellwood out competes Kesler and whoever else for a position I guess that could happen. A lot of ifs.

Of course he could also be moved to wing if those things happened. Or he could be the second line center keeping Kesler in his accustomed role. Or several things. BTW your best player down the stretch scored 2 goals the final 13 games, put up a couple of assists and was a minus player. I suppose he could have been the best player but I'm not convinced any player was particularily good. The entire team crapped the bed after the trade deadline.

Back to Wellwood...nothing wrong IMO with bringing him in. The guy will come cheap. He has no leverage. He has everything to prove. And if he sucks you waive him and bury him on the farm. He won't get a multiyear deal. A project and not a guy to be counted on as being a solution but a guy who could be a solution.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:42 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Wellwood is a great playmaker, but that's about it. Wouldn't mind him in a part-time role, but definitely not someone to have a permanent spot on the team.

Me thinks some Eastern team will pick him up. Probably Atlanta.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:43 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Wellwood stinks!

I would stay far far far away from him... I'd had so much fun this past season telling my buddies who are Leaf fans, how much Wellwood sucks!! I heard the hype build up for years from these guys, since the day he was drafted, and now even they say he just doesn't have it to be successful in the NHL... everytime I bring up Wellwood now, the conversation always seems to go quickly to the new hype machine that is Kulemin! They've accepted that Wellwood is a lost cause...

This guy is actually a lot like Druken... talented player, if not lack of brains, and the lack of heart they've constantly displayed, they'd both be stars in the NHL.

Watching Wellwood enough since he started his career with the Leafs, my opinion on him is:

- he does have talent... but again we saw that with Druken... both organizations also saw that with Brandon Convery... players need more than just talent to be successful.

- he's small and shies away from physical contact... think Shannon (that shift late last year where he just stopped short of the boards when he was chasing the puck defines Shannon to me!! he was just too scared to get hit).

- he's slow... the opposite of Shannon... I'm not a Shannon fan by any means, but at least the guy can fly out there... when you're small and slow you just look like you don't belong on the ice in the NHL!

- his creativity should have him at center, but his complete lack of any defensive sense makes him a huge liability there...

- isn't much more effective on the wing in 5 on 5 action because again he's got no physical presence or speed, and he won't win any battles for the puck ...

- is a good PP player... has time and space and can create opportunities from the half-boards.

I really do believe that if the Leafs were one of the better all around teams in the NHL, Wellwood would already have been an after-thought... basically another Druken who just couldn't make it in the NHL.... he's stuck around as long as he has because the Leafs have been desperate for offense for a long time, and gave him a long look, not to mention all the hype he had gotten from basically everyone in the market since his junior days (maybe it has something to do with him being an Ontario kid, growing up and playing his whole life in Leaf country?).

I think he will get picked up by some team... I don't think anyone takes him on waivers (possible I guess)... but he'll be a UFA once he clears waivers and doesn't get a QO... some team will sign him because again the kid does have talent, but he'll hit waivers again by November, and likely spend the rest of the season in the AHL.

he brings no speed, no size, no grit or heart or work ethic or character... he's useless as a center, and weak on the wings - basically the only part of the game where I've really seen him do well is on the PP, playing the half-boards when he has more time and space with the puck. He can pass and is creative with the puck when he has that time and space, but not much of a shot overall.

given this team's makeup, the coaching style, the style of play in the NW division and the Western conference in general, I don't think he's even worth a shot in Vancouver... IMO the type of player he is, is destined to fail here.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:51 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
Wellwood stinks!

I would stay far far far away from him... I'd had so much fun this past season telling my buddies who are Leaf fans, how much Wellwood sucks!! I heard the hype build up for years from these guys, since the day he was drafted, and now even they say he just doesn't have it to be successful in the NHL... everytime I bring up Wellwood now, the conversation always seems to go quickly to the new hype machine that is Kulemin! They've accepted that Wellwood is a lost cause...
Don Cherry loves him, doesn't that mean he's good?

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:57 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11inter View Post
a million bucks for a guy (if plays all year) will get 40 or 50 points guranteed.
If stays healthy and has a good year could put up 60-70 points.

If gets hurt we lose a million bucks. Big deal.

I think they take a shot at him FOR SURE.

Worst case you lose a million bucks. If were playing Pyatt as a legit #1 line guy, Wellwood would be the saviour (if healthy for the whole year) .

At least Wellwood is Fat & has hands ! Pyatt is just Phat. lol
Fixed?

Seriously. TORONTO'S TRASH???? Usually it's everyone else's garbage that ends up there. What are we going to think about what they don't want. I'd put a claim in for him. I'm sure he'll get plucked up before us but I think taking a chance on him is not a bad idea. If he doesn't work out. So be it. But if he does. Point and laugh at Toronto.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Knucklez

Gillis won't touch this guy because of his attitude and conditioning problems.

Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:14 PM
bfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
Wellwood works better as a winger, anyways.
No, he's awful as a winger..he needs to play his natural position and stick to the center of the ice. When it comes to battles in the corner, it's just a battle lost.

bfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:15 PM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbane View Post
Isn't Ryan Shannon our version of him?
Nope. Ryan Shannon works harder and has a far better upside.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:24 PM
snolan83

Given our forward depth charts (Hay look! 2/3 of our 2nd line is UFA) I think this guy would be a good waiver wire addition.

I think we're under valuing this guy a little - not that he has a lot of value. But what's to lose? Get him, throw a low QO .. negotiate later if we whiff on all 7 of the FA out there.

snolan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:54 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Back to Wellwood...nothing wrong IMO with bringing him in. The guy will come cheap. He has no leverage. He has everything to prove. And if he sucks you waive him and bury him on the farm.
Yup, this is how I feel. No risk, a little upside. We have to do *something*, just bringing back the same old guys isn't going to do anything. We need a lot of new bodies here, and I doubt that free agency is going to be able to bring that many in.

If it were Detroit getting rid of him, I'd feel differently. But Toronto? They gave up on Steve Sullivan, Boyes, Rask...

PecaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:45 PM
nuck4life*

character, integrity = no well

nuck4life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by snolan83 View Post
Get him, throw a low QO .. negotiate later if we whiff on all 7 of the FA out there.
Can't be paid lowered than what he was paid last time (think it was a million bucks) - and his "QO" must be either 5% or 10% higher (forgot the exact requirements).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:05 AM
dhabums*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11inter View Post
a million bucks for a guy (if plays all year) will get 40 or 50 points guranteed.
If stays healthy and has a good year could put up 60-70 points.

Naslund numbers for a mil?

dhabums* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:22 AM
Pangolin

People need to listen to those who've seen him play consistently...
Leafs fans were mad when they gave up on Sullivan...
Wellwood is no Sullivan.
And no, that picture of him is not because he's got a cast on, that's him.
I wouldn't give him a chance for free...

Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:30 AM
Zorbane

Speaking of Druken, anyone know what happened to him?

hockeydb only has his stats up to the 05-06 season

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 07:08 AM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
People need to listen to those who've seen him play consistently...
Leafs fans were mad when they gave up on Sullivan...
Wellwood is no Sullivan.
And no, that picture of him is not because he's got a cast on, that's him.
I wouldn't give him a chance for free...
I certainly think you have to entertain the possibility of giving him a chance for free. It's likely at this point he's going to be in someones camp on a tryout basis. I have no problem with that and if he shows enough to make the team he still doesn't have any leverage to sign much more than a crappy deal...and perhaps even a two-way one. I think you take the chance and I think someone will.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Zorbane

Gillis claimed him

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2416...s=topStory_nhl

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:15 AM
pitseleh

Wow, I definitely didn't see that happening.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:16 AM
dubey
Cookie Powered

"Wayne Gretzky never lifted weights" -- Kyle Wellwood (actual quote)

You guys are going to love this guy hahaha

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
"Wayne Gretzky never lifted weights" -- Kyle Wellwood (actual quote)

You guys are going to love this guy hahaha

Oh we've been through Byron Ritchie and Lee Goren on our PP in recent years, we can survive anything.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:18 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbane View Post
****! I was hoping he wouldn't.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote