HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nikita Kashirsky

Old
06-24-2008, 10:10 PM
malkinfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Nikita Kashirsky

Nikita Kashirsky -How has this guy not been drafted- hands and utilization of size seem incredible. Apparently best friends with AO.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aQGqK-cVw18&feature=related

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Maybe because he's playing at Norwich and in the EJHL before that? I've never heard about the guy and it's hard to find info on him so that's just a guess.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Nikita Kashirsky -How has this guy not been drafted- .

Probably because he's playing Division III hockey.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Nikita Kashirsky -How has this guy not been drafted- hands and utilization of size seem incredible. Apparently best friends with AO.

Because some guy said so in the comments on the youtube video?

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:29 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I think I've seen that guy play at a Network Hockey development game. Could be someone else, but I'm pretty sure that's him. He dominated, but then again the level of competition was varied, to say the least.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:55 PM
HunterSThompson

he went to georgetown prep high school in the dc area for atleast two years.. i played against him and he was better than most if not all players in the high school league but i wouldn't think he would be good enough to be drafted

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Zine

Quote:
Dude, the guys playing Div.III hockey.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 08:06 AM
HEsuperfan

Kashirsky is an interesting prospect. Saw him play in the EJHL years ago, spoke to his coach after the season. I understand his father is a president with a Russian Super League team, and he moved over here at around 17. However, as he took English as a second language course in high school, he was ineligible with NCAA Clearinghouse because lack of English Credits. He was the best player on the team, alongside forwards who went on to Providence, BU, Umass, Merrimack, etc.

It is also true about his relationship with OV, and look for the Caps to take a chance on this kid, as a high risk high reward, and to do keep their franchise man happy.

HEsuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 09:03 AM
chickenman92

watched the video and imo the kid is worth giving a shot to, he looked to have great hands and was fearless taking the puck to the net. looked as though he needed to back check a bit more but what young player doesnt right. i loved his passion when he scored

chickenman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 09:07 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
he'll be offered a contract (or at least a tryout) after he's done college.

06-25-2008, 10:28 AM
bruinsfan46

He's a DIII player, has there ever been an NHL'er that player DIII? Those were some sick highlights though and he's got pretty good (not incredible for the level) numbers.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
He's a DIII player, has there ever been an NHL'er that player DIII? Those were some sick highlights though and he's got pretty good (not incredible for the level) numbers.
Guy Hebert..

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:48 AM
chickenman92

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
not sure if anyone from DIII has made it but Daultan Leveille was just picked in the 1st rd out of jr B, i'm thinking the leagues are some what the same as far as talent goes so i don't see why a DIII guy couldn't make the jump but i'm sure it will be a few years in the minors for him

guys make it to the nba and nfl out of DII and DIII schools so i don't see why the NHL would be any different

chickenman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:34 PM
malkinfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
Because some guy said so in the comments on the youtube video?
Or because it says so on his college page bio smart one.

Old
06-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenman92 View Post
not sure if anyone from DIII has made it but Daultan Leveille was just picked in the 1st rd out of jr B
That league is so talented it might as well be called Jr. A, however.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 04:31 PM
backs4mvp

Quote:

AO must have alot of best friends... Semin, Kovalchuk, Markov, Backstrom.. Kashirsky.. anyone I missed?

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:02 PM
HFNHL Canadiens

Why didn't he play major junior hockey if he was bound for divison 3? He could have easily transfered if he was such a stud in high school.

HFNHL Canadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 06:06 PM
JacksonGalaxy

Division 3 college hockey, if it's anything like Division 2 which is what my school is, sucks. It's basically a glorified high school league.

It's not like football. My school (Grand Valley State) is one of the best in Division 2 and have produced a couple NFLers or at least guys who have gone on to the practice squad with NFL teams, which is impressive enough. That's because players would rather play for a winning NCAA D-2 team and get exposure than play for a bad D-1 team (like a MAC school, if you follow college football).

In hockey, you don't have that luxury. The NCAA doesn't have D-2 hockey, just D-1. So my school plays in something called the ACHA with other D-2/D-3 schools and D-2 club teams of good schools like Michigan and such. I know some of the players on the team and they can vouch for this.. Basically, you'd rather play anywhere in D-1 than even the best D-2 teams. You just don't get seen.

I doubt this guy could have played major junior. He's got great hands but so do most of the guys in my over 18 house roller hockey league. And keep in mind this is a highlight video. Maybe he's got a crippling phobia for being behind his own team's blueline. Maybe he's good for two or three breakaways a game but doesn't move his feet beyond that. Who knows. He doesn't really look that fast. He's fast in comparison to what he's playing against but he doesn't look as fast as other Russians known for good puckhandling. I don't know much about the guy but I can say pretty confidently he shoudn't and won't be drafted and he probably can't play at any level outside of D-2/D-3 hockey. Still a good player I'm sure, but that just goes to show you.

JacksonGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 07:40 PM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by backs4mvp View Post
AO must have alot of best friends... Semin, Kovalchuk, Markov, Backstrom.. Kashirsky.. anyone I missed?
Actually Kashirsky is very good friends with AO - they hang out all the time - in DC and in Moscow... Semin and others do not hang out with AO on the regular basis...

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 07:04 AM
hoopla

I have followed this kid's amateur career for a while now....
He cannot be drafted since he exahusted his eligibility almost two years ago.
When he was still eligible - he, unfortunately, was still playing in the leagues that are not attended by scouts. After an outstanding year at EJHL, he was being recruited by UMASS and BU, but as soon as those schools found out that he missed a year of English for the Clearinghouse he took a pass. So he went to one of the top D-III programs in the nation since they dont abide by the Clearinghouse rules.
This kid has been winning individual awards ever since his Prep school days. Named to All-Met team twice (best five high-school players in DC Metro area), represented team Southeast twice in Chicago showcase. At the same time playing Washington Junior Capitals Program. He won the goal scoring title as well as helped the Junior Capitals win it's first and so far the only AJHL cup in teams history. The following year he went to EJHL and had a great year - named to EJHL East All-star team. However, by doing so he exhausted one year of NCAA eligibility, thus leaving him with only 4 years. After D-I schools passed on him, he went to Norwich where he was named the ECAC East Rookie of the year. And just this past season he was named to the First ECAC East Team. He also was named to the Second All American Team helping Norwich go to the Frozen Four. Now the reason he would not transfer to a D-I program is because he would be red-shirted and would have to sit out another year thus ehausting his NCAA eligibility completely. Rumor has it, he was approched by Colgate University either this or last year, but he had to respectfully decline. So Kashirsky is just one of the cases of a good prospect flying under the radar..it hapens in any sport.

hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 08:18 AM
skyjive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebda View Post
Division 3 college hockey, if it's anything like Division 2 which is what my school is, sucks. It's basically a glorified high school league.

It's not like football. My school (Grand Valley State) is one of the best in Division 2 and have produced a couple NFLers or at least guys who have gone on to the practice squad with NFL teams, which is impressive enough. That's because players would rather play for a winning NCAA D-2 team and get exposure than play for a bad D-1 team (like a MAC school, if you follow college football).

In hockey, you don't have that luxury. The NCAA doesn't have D-2 hockey, just D-1. So my school plays in something called the ACHA with other D-2/D-3 schools and D-2 club teams of good schools like Michigan and such. I know some of the players on the team and they can vouch for this.. Basically, you'd rather play anywhere in D-1 than even the best D-2 teams. You just don't get seen.

I doubt this guy could have played major junior. He's got great hands but so do most of the guys in my over 18 house roller hockey league. And keep in mind this is a highlight video. Maybe he's got a crippling phobia for being behind his own team's blueline. Maybe he's good for two or three breakaways a game but doesn't move his feet beyond that. Who knows. He doesn't really look that fast. He's fast in comparison to what he's playing against but he doesn't look as fast as other Russians known for good puckhandling. I don't know much about the guy but I can say pretty confidently he shoudn't and won't be drafted and he probably can't play at any level outside of D-2/D-3 hockey. Still a good player I'm sure, but that just goes to show you.

You're talking about ACHA DII/DIII which is, as you said, glorified high school league. It's essentially club hockey. No offense, because it's great that guys can still play past HS, but it's not great hockey (as you pointed out).

Norwich is perennially one of the top NCAA DIII programs in the country. To provide a comparison, The ACHA DI champ a couple years ago (URI) played in a tournament with mid-level NCAA DIII teams and got slaughtered all weekend. That's not to say a great NCAA DIII team is at the level of most NCAA DI teams, but there are some really talented players in the league.

As uscho17 attested, Kashirsky (like alot of the better DIII players) probably could have played at the DI level but Clearinghouse provided a major road-block (see Luca Cunti). All that being said, having played against Kashirsky the last 3 years I would definitely say that he is a game-breaker who could compete as a pro (probably ECHL). It's always hard to say how a DIII player's game will translate to the pros, but alot of the elite players in the league have been able to perform well in the East Coast league. A couple have made it to the AHL with success (Kurtis MacLean) and Keith Aucoin has found some time with Carolina. Coincidentally both played for Norwich, go figure.

skyjive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 12:01 PM
hoopla

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEsuperfan View Post
Kashirsky is an interesting prospect. Saw him play in the EJHL years ago, spoke to his coach after the season. I understand his father is a president with a Russian Super League team, and he moved over here at around 17. However, as he took English as a second language course in high school, he was ineligible with NCAA Clearinghouse because lack of English Credits. He was the best player on the team, alongside forwards who went on to Providence, BU, Umass, Merrimack, etc.

It is also true about his relationship with OV, and look for the Caps to take a chance on this kid, as a high risk high reward, and to do keep their franchise man happy.
His father used to be a Spartak Moscow GM for 5-6 years. He left the team two years ago when the team ownership changed. My understanding is that he remains active in the Russian hockey scene.

Old
06-26-2008, 12:04 PM
hoopla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebda View Post

ACHA is no where near the skill level of NCAA. Especially nation's top programs such as Middlebury, Plattsburgh or Norwich.

Old
06-26-2008, 08:25 PM
malkinfan

so will he be offered a professional contract? Possibly by the capitals.

Old
07-10-2008, 08:14 PM
The Viking Fury

He's at the Caps development camp this past week, July 7th - 12.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote