HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

BOS PJ Axelsson to VAN for 2009 2nd Round Pick

Old
06-24-2008, 10:11 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
I chose Vancouver because of Kesler being there, but I imagine a number of other teams would find him appealing at the cost of a 2nd round pick. He also has a good reputation in Sweden and Vancouver likes their Swedes.

I also thought that he is one of the most underrated shut-down players in the league and was curious to see what west coast fans think about him...what better team to ask then Vancouver and their fans? (in an indirect manner)

<---Bruins fans get used to this pic: Kessel congratulating Wheeler after they score!
I would probably do it for a 3rd or 4th rounder.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Was thinking more along the lines of the two of them together on the PK...as a line they would be very effective.

<---Bruins fans get used to this pic: Kessel congratulating Wheeler after they score!

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
I chose Vancouver because of Kesler being there, but I imagine a number of other teams would find him appealing at the cost of a 2nd round pick. He also has a good reputation in Sweden and Vancouver likes their Swedes.

I also thought that he is one of the most underrated shut-down players in the league and was curious to see what west coast fans think about him...what better team to ask then Vancouver and their fans? (in an indirect manner)

I personally would do this deal in a heartbeat. Always been a huge fan of PJ and

PJ - Kesler - Burrows

would imo be the best shut-down line in the league. As others have noted however our bottom six is fine as it is (with the exception of finding another 4th line centre, but I'm ok with Rypien for now).

If we miraculously fill our gaping holes in our top six then I would be incredibly stoked for a deal like this.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Dick Whitman

there was always the thought that Alfie and Axelsson would work well together on a line and Ottawa is definitely in need of a top 6 guy. Just not sure about the salary.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks5551 View Post
Wouldn't the fact that we already have a very solid checker make him less appealing?
I thought it would make it more appealing. I read Vancouver fans talking about Kesler's offensive potential on these boards all the time. Wouldn't you think to have another elite checker would take some of the pressure off of him? I would.

Also, to the OP, it's a good proposal. Maybe it wouldn't be ideal for Vancouver, but the value it right. IMO any team would want Axelsson on their roster.

06-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
I thought it would make it more appealing. I read Vancouver fans talking about Kesler's offensive potential on these boards all the time. Wouldn't you think to have another elite checker would take some of the pressure off of him? I would.
Sure. Could we use a decent cheap veteran backup goalie as well?

Yup.

Problem is, as been already stated - preventing goals isn't as much a problem as scoring goals for the Canucks.

Canucks have a limited number of tradeable assets/picks to deal - with a scarcity of resources you have to address the bigger problems first.

Once that gets sufficiently done - then the Canucks can look to improve in other areas - and PJ would clearly be an upgrade to our 3rd line.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:56 AM
timw33

He'd look great with Kesler on the shut-down line and on the PK.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:22 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Axelsson was one player a lot of Canucks fans wanted a year ago.

What changed?

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:27 AM
Grackle Party
Varls Barkley 2k12

vCash: 50
I wish the avs would make this trade, but it would be the avs 2nd and Arny, and The B's have to take Arny!

Grackle Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:33 AM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfreak72 View Post
He is I don't think PJ got the memo he's still one of the best 10-15 defensive forwards in the league and is very underrated I assume you don't watch him much.
Is it even possible to be underrated in the east?
Not trying to take away anything for PJ.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:43 AM
John Belushi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Axelsson was one player a lot of Canucks fans wanted a year ago.

What changed?

Are you suprised? Our fanbase is bipolar as hell.

To the deal at hand : I've been a big fan of Axelsson for a couple years now, and I would do that trade. A 2nd in a deep draft is hard to give up but a playoff line of Axelsson-Kesler-Burrows would be stellar. I'd even go as far as to say that they'd be just as effective as the Pahlsson line in Anaheim.

Last edited by John Belushi: 06-25-2008 at 03:02 AM.
John Belushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:54 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

It is also interesting to see the divide on the side of the Nucks fans on this proposal...damn, should have made it a poll...lol

I would also like to see him on that line in the playoffs against pretty much any west coast first line...talk about rooting for the blue collar line!

Also glad to see some fans know he is worth the trade with no one on the roster being dealt. I assume many other teams (heard COL fans for one) would make the deal, and I believe he is the one player we are going to see on the block this weekend. Don't think Schaefer had the year to warrant any interest, but same could be said about Ryder.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:06 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
Holy crap - are you serious ????

Then we are agreed Boston can keep and their fans can stop wasting our time with these trades

PJ is 33, he has problems staying healthy--last 6 nhl seasons he has played only 70+ games twice, he is a 3rd line checker and right now there is a palethra of 3rd line checkers/grinders out there being offered around the league, at 1.85mill--nucks can wait till july 1st and get Marty reasoner for 1mill bucks and keep the second rounder. Based upon the trades of Jokinen and Mayers(to cover the speaktrom) BB might get a 4th rounder and a questionable pospect.

Bruin fans--I will save you the hassle and respond for you

"No, you are an idiot and we will keep him"

atleast this trade was better then the 1st rounder that got asked for him last week

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 09:52 AM
NYVanfan

Quote:

got it

yes, would be a great addition if he could come cheap, but I think it's hard for Canuck fans to focus on anything but getting the long-needed scoring help...

adding bottom-6ers before addressing the primary need feels way too much like last summer all over again, and we all know how that ended up...

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote