HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Claim Kyle Wellwood

Old
06-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Zorbane

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
Oh we've been through Byron Ritchie and Lee Goren on our PP in recent years, we can survive anything.
Don't forget Marc Chouinard

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:20 AM
west in the east

Hopefully AV wips him into shape... low risk though, he stinks, put him on waivers again

west in the east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Ryan Walter work your magic!

I dunno how I feel about this. Though they are obviously getting the Steve Sullivan / Marc Savard hype of this guy. It just better not affect our ability to sign Hossa.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:22 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

IF this isn't Gillis' move to add a 2nd line center, then I am happy with it. If training camp rolls around and we still don't have a legit center, someone's head is going to roll.

PS: Does anyone know if Wellwood was a client of Gillis?

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Ryan Walter work your magic!
I think they need Roger Takahashi for this one. Start him out on the Grouse Grind with the prospects on Friday.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Roo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
Gillis won't touch this guy because of his attitude and conditioning problems.
You were saying?

Good luck to Kyle in Vancouver. If he starts to take his conditioning seriously, he can be a good player.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld View Post
IF this isn't Gillis' move to add a 2nd line center, then I am happy with it. If training camp rolls around and we still don't have a legit center, someone's head is going to roll.

PS: Does anyone know if Wellwood was a client of Gillis?
Be nice to your stuffed animals.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:23 AM
lennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by west in the east View Post
Hopefully AV wips him into shape... low risk though, he stinks, put him on waivers again
Wow, I'm tired of the "Low risk" Wellwood has no heart, no grit and is soft. Just what we need.

Gillis is starting to be Nonis2

lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Zorbane

i suppose this means that Mo won't be back for sure now.

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Canuck71

This could turn out to be a good addition for the Canucks if Wellwood turns his season around this year. Good pickup IMO as of right now

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

I'm honestly not that familiar with him as a player...what are the actual chances he pulls a Marc Savard? I realize he has 108 points in 189 career NHL games.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennie View Post
Wow, I'm tired of the "Low risk" Wellwood has no heart, no grit and is soft. Just what we need.

Gillis is starting to be Nonis2
You can't even begin to validate that statement yet. If training camp rolls along, and Hodgson and Wellwood are the two guys battling for the number two center spot, then yes, you can go ahead and make that claim. (Plus Nonis picked up guys with "good plumber" upsides, never really any guys with "Great PP" upsides.) Putting a "project" in as a top 6 winger was the Nonis all the way, but we have no idea if Gillis is going that route yet. Oh July 1st, we wait for you so.....

But as for now, all Gillis has done is pick up a guy, who if properly motivated, has slick hands and can help out a team that had an awful awful powerplay. At worst, he comes in fat, and is sent off to the waivers again. Look at last year, with injuries, we ended up having to throw Ritchie on the PP. Well, at the very least, Wellwood would be able to handle that duty should injuries rack up and we need to throw a body out there to help run the PP.

As of right now, all this does is give Gillis more options, at the cost of basically nothing.

Though if anything, we should hire Elisha Cuthbert to help Wellwood sweat off some of those pounds.

Last edited by Kid_Roll: 06-25-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:29 AM
cantskate

I realize the Canucks need centers, but this move baffles me. He can't play on a checking or energy line. Can he get in shape and crack the 2nd line? Maybe.

cantskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:30 AM
19nazzy

Low risk, potentially high reward move here. Wellwood won't be making very much so it isn't a huge deal if it doesn't work out.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:30 AM
cantskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbane View Post
i suppose this means that Mo won't be back for sure now.
Replacing one guy with a history of injuries with another.

cantskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:32 AM
pitseleh

I'm guessing that Gillis sees Wellwood as a contingency plan. This gives him the opportunity to negotiate exclusively for a week. Can't say I like the move, but I won't criticize it until I see how the team shapes up over the next couple weeks.

Maybe they think he can help them lure Sundin. haha

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Kessick

Wellwood used to have a leading role on our powerplay. He's got great vision on the ice and can be a great playmaker and passer. As you all are aware, he lacks motivation. In an interview with the FAN yesterday, he admitted the reasons Toronto cut him loose are primarily due to his poor conditioning. Everyone in Toronto was high on him at one point, but his sports hernia really set him back. He even admits he doesn't train in the off-season.

He's also an awful skater, shies away from contact, is lazy, and he was benched a half-dozen times last year (and if you can't crack our roster, that's just sad). Maybe changing teams will be a wakeup call for him.

Kessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:34 AM
steamtrain
shred photog

No big deal, you meet with the guy in the next couple days, outline his summer conditioning program, and if he balks, let him walk on the 1st.

steamtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:35 AM
lennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
You can't even begin to validate that statement yet. If training camp rolls along, and Hodgson and Wellwood are the two guys battling for the number two center spot, then yes, you can go ahead and make that claim. (Plus Nonis picked up guys with "good plumber" upsides, never really any guys with "Great PP" upsides.)

But as for now, all Gillis has done is pick up a guy, who if properly motivated, has slick hands and can help out a team that had an awful awful powerplay. At worst, he comes in fat, and is sent off to the waivers again. Look at last year, with injuries, we ended up having to throw Ritchie on the PP. Well, at the very least, Wellwood would be able to handle that duty should injuries rack up and we need to throw a body out there to help run the PP.

As of right now, all this does is give Gillis more options, at the cost of basically nothing.

Though if anything, we should hire Elisha Cuthbert to help Wellwood sweat off some of those pounds.
But Gillis has been preaching character and intelligence as pre requisites as to what he is looking for. By all accounts Wellwood has neither.

While indeed low risk, It just seems like an odd move.

lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Waiver wire claims have the be the single most criticized moves on these boards BY FAR. Though I will admit Beech was terrible. Cowan was momentarily a hero around here, and the contract was a different issue then the waiver claim.

It's a WAIVER CLAIM...seriously what sort of the end of the franchise stuff could it cause.

I wonder if we have the outside chance of signing Wellwood to a two-way contract. That would be sick.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:36 AM
demonic

After watching the utter lack of offensive creativity on the second PP unit for so many years, I'm actually OK with this move. It sounds like his biggest problem is his ego, so this kind of public humiliation could be all he needs to turn his game around. It will be obvious to everyone by the first week of camp how he responds to this, so where is the risk?

demonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccliquer View Post
Wellwood used to have a leading role on our powerplay. He's got great vision on the ice and can be a great playmaker and passer. As you all are aware, he lacks motivation. In an interview with the FAN yesterday, he admitted the reasons Toronto cut him loose are primarily due to his poor conditioning. Everyone in Toronto was high on him at one point, but his sports hernia really set him back. He even admits he doesn't train in the off-season.

He's also an awful skater, shies away from contact, is lazy, and he was benched a half-dozen times last year (and if you can't crack our roster, that's just sad). Maybe changing teams will be a wakeup call for him.

Yep, that's all we can hope for. Some players have all the talent in the world, but don't bother trying to play hard. We've seen it with Druken, and I'm sure we'll see it countless times again.

All we can do is hope that this wakes Wellwood up and makes him realize his NHL dream is starting to slip away, so he better damn well start working out in the off-seasons. He needs to lay off the Grant Fuhr "Pack a day" workout regiment that used to work so well in the 80's!

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:40 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by option View Post
No big deal, you meet with the guy in the next couple days, outline his summer conditioning program, and if he balks, let him walk on the 1st.
He has a broken foot, don't expect him in shape for camp. He can't even be in shape when he's healthy.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:41 AM
The Overseer*

Lots of complaining. . .

There's no way Gillis is going to claim that Wellwood is the answer for our top 6. He's a smart man and he knows hockey. Only a moron would make that claim.

Can somebody, maybe one of the whiners, tell me please, what's the downside of claiming a guy without a contract off of waivers?

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:41 AM
pulkinator

i dunno what to do with my wellwood jersey

i wish leafs could have kept him around another year and given him another shot in a new system. He could end up being a great pickup for you guys.

My theory is he will play really well for u guys in camp/preseason and the beginning of the season then settle down. he seems to play well when hes got something to prove, and be lazy when he's "comfortable"

he definitely has nice hands and good passing and talent but had an inconsistent underachieving year last season, not much of a physical player either

I wish him all the best with u guys

pulkinator is offline   Reply With Quote