HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT : Vinny signs 85M/11 yr (10M/year ---> first 7 years)

Old
06-25-2008, 12:05 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

vCash: 500
i've explained in one of the Lecavalier threads before as to his reasons why he would never come to the Habs and this just further proves everyone that their ideas of him being a habs were moot.

hopefully now all those threads can die "in peace".

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
hopefully now all those threads can die "in peace".
What are you nuts? By 2017, Price, Komi, Pleks, Higgins, Ovy, the Kosts will all be in their prime for the Habs. Lecavalier will be the missing piece for the 2018 cup!

This is great news for the Habs!

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Doubt it, you gotta respect a guy who wants to stay with the Lightning all his career. Tho the new owner might bring some stability to the franchise...

He also donated something like 2-3M to a local medical center. Gotta give him props.
I know it's definitely not the same situation as Briere's last summer,but you'll never know with some Montreal fans bitter and pissed off about Vinny not signing with the Habs.Unfortunately there are some crazy fanboys who will be saying that every Quebecois superstar should be playing with the Habs and how Vinny betrayed and lacked of respect to the Quebecois who support the Habs,that he was supposed to be the French saviour who was supposed to take them to the promise land,etc....

They're a very vocal minority among the Habs fanbase though.

Last edited by Stephen Locke*: 06-25-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederixx View Post
Deceit!!!

we've been betrayed

Betrayed??? In order to be betrayed, wouldn't there have to be a remote possibility that Vinny was actually ever going to sign in Montreal?? It was never seriously mentioned by Vinny, his agent, Bob Gainey or the Habs so therefore he didn't betray anybody.

It was nothing more than one users wild fantasy on HF Boards!!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Quiet Robert

Now please fanboys: stop your nonsense. Or this some kind of betrayal? Are we gonna boo him?

Anyways, good for Vinny, he's staying where he wants and he's getting a good deal of money to be there.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:19 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Good.

He'll never be a Hab. You all can move on.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Good.

He'll never be a Hab. You all can move on.
He'll be a Hab in his heart, WTK, he'll be a Hab in our hearts too.

Last edited by Fido22: 06-25-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old
06-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I won't boo him, but I still hope the Habs will beat the living crap out of TB in each and every game they faceoff.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

I still think the Habs are second on his list...but second isn't good enough to have him. It's been a while since I'm saying that the only thing that would keep Vinny away from Montreal is a contract extension with Tampa.

And the no-trade clause don't mean that we can't dream of having him here someday...If he was to ever be trade, he would waive his clause to come here, I'm pretty sure.

but anyways, good for him. He's dedicated to his team, and it's fine! I hope we'll have a few like that too! It's nice as a fan to see the commitment of Saku Koivu, so I hope Komi, Markov and the others will stay here!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I still think the Habs are second on his list...but second isn't good enough to have him. It's been a while since I'm saying that the only thing that would keep Vinny away from Montreal is a contract extension with Tampa.

And the no-trade clause don't mean that we can't dream of having him here someday...If he was to ever be trade, he would waive his clause to come here, I'm pretty sure.

but anyways, good for him. He's dedicated to his team, and it's fine! I hope we'll have a few like that too! It's nice as a fan to see the commitment of Saku Koivu, so I hope Komi, Markov and the others will stay here!

Wonder what would happen if some Roy-type incident would occur in TB... the NTC would weight a lot and TB would have no leverage...

Aren't teams begining to be a little relunctant to give NTCs with their possible consequences.

Old
06-25-2008, 12:40 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
hes comming next year don't worry. Halak+Koivu+Tanguay+1st 2009, 1st 2010, 1st 2011, 1st 2012, 1st 2013, 1st 20014+Brisebois Ferari+Bob Gainey's Car. This trade will come to pass! Mark my words!

JHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:41 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Aren't teams begining to be a little relunctant to give NTCs with their possible consequences.
What, you think all those, 9-year-plus, big-money, NTC-laden contracts that have been all the rage might be risky or something?

Franly, I think this new fad is likely to cause big problems to at least a few of the teams that made them. There's a reason the Islanders became a cautionary tale. At least Lecavalier is a better player than Alexei Yashin.

It may seem like a good deal now, but we'll see how it goes in 6 years.

As for Lecavalier, while I'm not surprised to see him want to stick with Tampa long term, I'm a little perplexed that he doesn't want to wait and see. Between Owen Koules and Barry Melrose, it seems to me that the potential for Tampa to become a sideshow can't be discounted, plus there's the issue of the team climbing up from last place and not looking too much like a contender. Then again, at least he'll be the star of the circus.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Rayne*

Thank God! No more "Vinny to Montreal when he's UFA" ********.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
What, you think all those, 9-year-plus, big-money, NTC-laden contracts that have been all the rage might be risky or something?

Franly, I think this new fad is likely to cause big problems to at least a few of the teams that made them. There's a reason the Islanders became a cautionary tale. At least Lecavalier is a better player than Alexei Yashin.

As for Lecavalier, while I'm not surprised to see him want to stick with Tampa long term, I'm a little perplexed that he doesn't want to wait and see. Between Owen Koules and Barry Melrose, it seems to me that the potential for Tampa to become a sideshow can't be discounted, plus there's the issue of the team climbing up from last place and not looking too much like a contender. Then again, at least he'll be the star of the circus.
one simple equation...

Palm trees, beach and babes > pride of winning

Old
06-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Fido22

Quote:
one simple equation...

Palm trees, beach and babes > pride of winning
Honnestly, I just think the guy is attached to the city/team where he has spent the first decade of his career. He "owes" alot more loyalty to TB than to the Habs. Seems fair enough.

Old
06-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Honnestly, I just think the guy is attached to the city/team where he has spent the first decade of his career. He "owes" alot more loyalty to TB than to the Habs. Seems fair enough.
Come on pooch... you know me... I was just jokin around....

Old
06-25-2008, 01:01 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Except that he does not "owe" the Habs anything at all in the first place. At all. He doesn't owe them any kind of loyalty.
Saying he should come here because Quebeckers might identify with him is the same as saying he should go to LA or New York because the hotties in those cities would identify with him.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Come on pooch... you know me... I was just jokin around....
Yeah I know it wasn't serious, it was more a general reflection than a direct reply to your quote (I just used it as context...sorry). A lot of people may actually feel Lecavalier "betrayed" the Habs, were in fact he mearly showed loyalty to his team and the city where he has spent his entire career despite the fact that the immediate future doesn't look too bright. That's a nice story I find.

Old
06-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Saying he should come here because Quebeckers might identify with him is the same as saying he should go to LA or New York because the hotties in those cities would identify with him.
What is your point?

Old
06-25-2008, 01:05 PM
kihei

vCash: 3125
Tough couple of days for Montreal dreamers. First, Sundin demurs, and now this.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Tough couple of days for Montreal dreamers. First, Sundin demurs, and now this.
Yeah, I wish Habs were more like the Leafs.

Old
06-25-2008, 01:10 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
What is your point?
ZOMGZ Vinny is, like, so HAWT.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:11 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the Koules/Melrose thing as being a sideshow. People forget that Melrose was a winning coach in junior and the AHL and coached the Kings to the final in '93. I don't think Melrose was the problem in L.A. as much as GM Sam "the disaster" McMaster was.

Melrose is also assembling a good coaching staff, bringing on Rick Tocchet and Wes Walz. Ask anyone with regards to Phoenix and they'll tell you that as good as a coach Gretz was, it was Tocchet who really ran the show there.

Personally, I think Tampa Bay are going to be really tough to beat next year. The core of the team is already in place and the defense and goaltending issues have been addressed. I don't think it's going to be a sideshow in Tampa Bay at all.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
ZOMGZ Vinny is, like, so HAWT.
Imagine you were Vinny in LA or NY. Niiiiiiiiiice!

Old
06-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett38 View Post
9.4 mill over the first 8 years. 3 mill in the last year.

Not too shabby.
Overall Cap hit is still just 8.55....Great deal for the Lightining!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote