HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Claim Kyle Wellwood

Old
06-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Vector

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Kesler View Post
Pyatt - Wellwood - Pettinger

How does that sound?
Very bizarre.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:53 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Out of curiousity, anyone have an idea why he was picked in the fifth round? Size issues?
I would think so. 118 points in 68 games for Belleville. His best season in junior, in his draft year. He's not a midget...5'10, 180.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel113x View Post
Cowan, Wellwood, and Pettinger are all signed with the Canucks for next year. Man, this is not looking good for us.
They signed Wellwood already?

Rotting Corpse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Whitley View Post
Wellwood is everything BUT character, integrity and intelligence. The things that made Gillis say "no" to Jokinen. Wellwood is a small player, 5-foot-10, 180 lbs, and has 7 minor penalties in his whole NHL career. Wellwood is lazy, selfish, just a bad team player all around. He's also injured all the time.

In addition to that, there's absolutely no place for Wellwood in our lineup. So yeah, there's not a lot of risks in this move, probably the only one is he's going to screw up the team spirit, but there's no good features either.

I hate this move. Looks like Wellwood is being brought to replace Morrison? That's a horrible, horrible trade off.
Seriously, you're acting like Gillis went out and said "Kyle Wellwood is our second line centre in perpetuity". He is a free asset. Free asset. He cost nothing. He will likely be given a shot in training camp and if he can't cut it, the team will likely just cut their losses, which are none save future waiver priority.

Gillis said no to Jokinen because of all those negatives offset the cost of acquiring him (in both assets and cap space). If Jokinen was making $1M and on waivers, it would be a different story.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Vector

Quote:
Cowan, Wellwood, and Pettinger are all signed with the Canucks for next year. Man, this is not looking good for us.
What's wrong with Pettinger? I thought he showed that he can be a very solid bottom-6 player. Some offensive skill, big and fast, likes to hit, willing to fight, can play both wings, wants to play in Vancouver, and has a good contract.

Old
06-25-2008, 02:57 PM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld View Post
I have nothing against Pettinger. Wellwood remains to be seen. Cowan though...
I personally think Pettinger sucks. And I would easily take Matt Cooke over him. If Wellwood plays any kind of Top 6 role with the Canucks next season I think we're in big trouble. Its looking very possible that our forwards could be even worse than they were last season. This is the kind of move Nonis would have made. I'm not very impressed with this.

QuickDynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:58 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Very bizarre.
How so?

Wellwood is a playmaker...
Pyatt is a scorer with a good shot...
Pettinger is a big guy, checks hard and can score...

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:59 PM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ryan View Post
They signed Wellwood already?
Obviously if Gillis claimed him off waivers he intents to sign him to a contract.

QuickDynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Pyatt-Wellwood-Pettinger would give the Canucks a versatile 4th line, with offensive ability. I don't mind the sound of it. Have Cowan/Brown hanging around if you need a game by game type change to the lineup.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
I personally think Pettinger sucks. And I would easily take Matt Cooke over him. If Wellwood plays any kind of Top 6 role with the Canucks next season I think we're in big trouble. Its looking very possible that our forwards could be even worse than they were last season. This is the kind of move Nonis would have made. I'm not very impressed with this.
I think you are one of the very few people who think that. He was solid down the stretch for us. I think he score 4 goals or something...

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zorbane

Quote:
Pyatt - Wellwood - Pettinger

How does that sound?
The underachievement line

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ryan View Post
Why are you being such a condescending jerk lately? Everything alright?
PERSONAL ATTACK. You have been reported, sir.

Kidding

I didn't realize I was being *that* condescending...I just really, REALLY dislike Wellwood. Honestly, he's the player I dislike the most in the entire league. No lie. And now, he's a Canuck. All things considered I think I'm handling it pretty well.

Quote:
Anyway, one of the many things that makes Nick Lidstrom so great is that he never takes penalties.

Warrior God Willie Mitchell hardly ever takes them either.

But yeah, I know what you mean about Wellwood.
Lidstrom and Mitchell DO take penalties tho. Wellwood takes NONE. Like literally - zero. Big diff.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 03:03 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
PERSONAL ATTACK. You have been reported, sir.

Kidding

I didn't realize I was being *that* condescending...I just really, REALLY dislike Wellwood. Honestly, he's the player I dislike the most in the entire league. No lie. And now, he's a Canuck. All things considered I think I'm handling it pretty well.

Lidstrom and Mitchell DO take penalties tho. Wellwood takes NONE. Like literally - zero. Big diff.
Sure, no penalties means he isn't hitting the high traffic areas and such but it means he also isn't taking those lazy ****ing hooking and holding penalties that the Sedin's perfected last year too.. there is an up and a down side so quit hanging like a bat :p

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 03:05 PM
hlrsr

It's nothing to really get in a twist about.. I don't see how you can predict doom and gloom from a waiver pickup.

That said I don't really see where this guy would fit in even if he does play well. If he impresses at training camp is he going to be our 2nd line C? If we're going that route, I'd much rather have Morrison.

Should be interesting anyway, nothing to freak out over.. right now.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 03:08 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Obviously if Gillis claimed him off waivers he intents to sign him to a contract.
If he was claimed off of waivers, he is under contract already. The waiver claim just means that Vancouver assumes the existing contract.

If he didn't have a contract in place, Wellwood would have been a FA on 7/1/08 and would not have needed to be put on waivers for Toronto to get rid of him.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Ohio Jones
Jays Hipster/Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker View Post
I would think so. 118 points in 68 games for Belleville. His best season in junior, in his draft year. He's not a midget...5'10, 180.
Not just size - he plays very soft and doesn't have a lot of speed. The Leafs drafted him on playmaking potential alone.

You're getting a guy who still has a lot of potential, but has a lot of areas in his game he needs to work on. As I see you folks are discussing, conditioning and commitment are front-and-center. I don't think he's a lazy guy, but I do think the back-to-back injuries (including a groin you should probably be a little worried about) took him out of any sort of fitness routine long enough that he's finding it hard to get back into one. And he does seem to be a guy that needs someone else to motivate him.

It's a shame the Leafs weren't prepared to give him a second chance under the direct tutleage of a Doug GIlmour or (so is rumoured) a Gary Roberts, but clearly the new administration wanted to inject a new energy intot he team, and you can't do that if you keep all the same players.

He shouldn't take anything more than his basic QO, which will be (I believe) just a hair over $1M on a one-year deal. That works best for you and him -- he gets a chance to prove he's going to live up to the standards of a professional athlete and potentially earn a much larger salary in 2009 if he performs well, and Vancouver isn't stuck with him as deadweight if he fails to live up to his potential.

If you see him signing a longer-term conract, or for anything significanly greater than his basic QO, I'd start to be a little concerned. That said, he's got skill, so there's hope that you may have just added a good piece for free.

Good luck to Wellwood and to the Canucks next season. You guys could use some good news this season.

(BTW - Hodgson will be terrific for you - a character two-way player like Linden, smart as all hell and a great finisher to boot. His fitness level was actually ahead of Wilson's in many categories. You're going to love this kid.)

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Seriously, you're acting like Gillis went out and said "Kyle Wellwood is our second line centre in perpetuity". He is a free asset. Free asset. He cost nothing. He will likely be given a shot in training camp and if he can't cut it, the team will likely just cut their losses, which are none save future waiver priority.
Why didn't we pick up Raycroft then? We have a backup goalie spot open. Free asset might turn out to be a bad asset. If some fat lazy homeless man in TO offers you food, you probably wouldn't take it. It may be poisoned!

This just fights against all Gillis' fundamentals. He broke down so early. I was hoping a player like Wellwood wasn't the first exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Gillis said no to Jokinen because of all those negatives offset the cost of acquiring him (in both assets and cap space).
Moneypuck wise, Jokinen had no flaws at all

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 03:11 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
If he was claimed off of waivers, he is under contract already. The waiver claim just means that Vancouver assumes the existing contract.

If he didn't have a contract in place, Wellwood would have been a FA on 7/1/08 and would not have needed to be put on waivers for Toronto to get rid of him.
He is under contract for another week.

He is an RFA on July 1st.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 03:12 PM
SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post

Huh? 7/1/08 is next week. Dude is a pending RFA.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Vector

Quote:
How so?

Wellwood is a playmaker...
Two slow guys, one fast guy who has to do all of the work on the forecheck as well on the defensive end. Pyatt isn't bad defensively but not enough to help it. That line would get murdered by any fast line. Not really opposed to it but don't see the point in even penciling Wellwood into the line-up until we see who else gets brought on board.

Old
06-25-2008, 03:15 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Why didn't we pick up Raycroft then? We have a backup goalie spot open. Free asset might turn out to be a bad asset. If some fat lazy homeless man in TO offers you food, you probably wouldn't take it. It may be poisoned!
This just fights against all Gillis' fundamentals. He broke down so early. I was hoping a player like Wellwood wasn't the first exception.
Your reasoning is atrocious. Hopefully that whole post is a joke and you don't actually need the difference between Wellwood and Raycroft explained to you.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Shane

Quote:
Quit setting up a straw man here. Raycroft is a completely different situation, different position, different contract.

Quote:
I'm sure Gillis is more aware of the extent of Wellwood's character issues than you are. If he feels that the risk is worth the potential reward, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Seriously, will you give this moneypuck thing a rest? Do you even know what it means?

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Kmaz

I'm glad this happened and I don't understand any of the bad talk about this. No risk pick up. If he uses this as motivation to turn a corner then we have a potential top 6forward. If he continues on his old track then we simply waive him. Excellent pick up.

Now pick up Hossa and Demitra (or a couple a few steps down...Ryder,?) and we suddenly look to have some forward depth.

Kmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 03:28 PM
canuckfromtoronto

Im happy we picked him up, honestly, im happy with anyone Vancouver picks up at this stage, as stupid as that sounds, it feels like anyone can bring something to help out scoring wise at this point. I was so frustrated with the lack of goals Vancouver got last season, anything helps, this wont hurt us. He was picked up off waivers, we didnt lose anything

canuckfromtoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
How so?

Wellwood is a tub of crap who has a piss poor work ethic...
Fixed.