HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hamilton, Tanabe, and Clymer to be bought out

Old
06-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Metallian*

vCash: 500
Hamilton, Tanabe, and Clymer to be bought out

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241467

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...on-line-buyout

The issue with Hamilton is that the canes don't want to pay him 800k to play in Albany next year. He's on a one-way contract and stuck behind too many talented forwards and with Carolina icing a tougher fourth line next year he doesn't fit there. I feel so bad for this guy. Two years ago he was really good for Chicago and he started off playing amazing for Carolina then it all just went to hell. Now he's being bought out. Poor guy.

As for Tanabe, most of us thought he'd be forced to retire as he's still not recovered from an early season concussion he suffered. But it looks like he's healthy so they're buying him out because keeping him around and playing him is too big of a risk. One big hit and he's done.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Starsdude

Hamilton could be a low risk deal from stars as aright shot right wing if a more skilled scorer cannot be found however he would likely have to be better defensively to stick here if he fails to make the top lines

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 02:53 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 73
If Tanabe was forced to retire due to injuries he would be on long term injury and it could be covered by insurence and nothing factored into the cap area--buying him out--it counts no matter what happens

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 02:55 PM
State of Hockey

Not surprised about Hamilton, but Tanabe, on the other hand, does surprise me a little.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 03:00 PM
impeach estaalo

Hurricanes save quite a bit of money for next season by doing this. Combined with all the backloaded contracts, we may actually have money to sign a free agent defenseman.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 03:08 PM
GIN ANTONIC

If I were another team, I wouldn't take a shot on Tanabe as he really is one hit away from it being over, but Hamilton could be valuable to a team looking to improve their PP and shootout as that's his bread and butter.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Hamilton could be a low risk deal from stars as aright shot right wing if a more skilled scorer cannot be found however he would likely have to be better defensively to stick here if he fails to make the top lines
Dude, periods and commas. My brain hurts.

That being said, Hamilton I would be interested in for the Stars.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Sotnos

ClyMer

06-23-2008, 04:31 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
I'm having a hard time believing the Canes will be able to buy Tanabe out of his contract. Didn't just last week Pete Friesen say he's still not over his symptoms?

Stop it, Sotnos, you know who Men Clyber is

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Metallian*

so the canes run Babchuk off by giving Tanabe an unwarranted roster spot, and now end up buying him out

what a waste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
ClyMer
Yeah, I had him mixed up with Men Clyber

I can't edit thread titles so just run with it, k?

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 04:44 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16 View Post
I'm having a hard time believing the Canes will be able to buy Tanabe out of his contract. Didn't just last week Pete Friesen say he's still not over his symptoms?

Stop it, Sotnos, you know who Men Clyber is
Men Climber? Does he play for the Pens?

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 04:50 PM
HughJass*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
I can't edit thread titles so just run with it, k?
Actually, you can. If you go to edit your post, look for 'Advanced Options' or something like that.

Yeah, that Tanabe-Babchuk issue looks better and better every day LOL Plus, you forget we didn't even bother to re-sign Tanabe after the season. He goes to camp on a try out with the Blues then we decide to sign him within the first month of the season. Rich, now Rutherford is mad at Tanabe (I'll have to find Rutherford's exit meetings rants...he decided to throw Lavy under the bus, too).

Old
06-24-2008, 02:17 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...signs-one-year

It's the bottom half of the article.

Tanabe and Hamilton have cleared waivers, the Canes are expected to start the buyout process.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:55 PM
HughJass*

Per Canes beat write Luke DeCock (probably through Tanabe's agent), Hamilton is officially bought out but the NHLPA is questioning the Tanabe non-sense. I can't see Tanabe lying about his situation, so I'm just going to grab some pop corn and wait this one out.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...icial#comments

Old
06-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

What's the story with Clymer? I know he's apparenlty regressed as he spent the last 2 years in the minors, but I thought he was decent and before I knew it, I saw he wasn't in the NHL anymore. He's what, 31?

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 06:57 PM
salty justice

It was just last November that Hamilton was considered by many a steal.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...light=hamilton

I know he was hit by injuries, but was it really that necessary to buy out a guy for $600k?

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 06:57 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
What's the story with Clymer? I know he's apparenlty regressed as he spent the last 2 years in the minors, but I thought he was decent and before I knew it, I saw he wasn't in the NHL anymore. He's what, 31?
The Caps just never had the roster space for him. At this point, he's too expensive for the AHL, and he takes up a roster/contract spot that is better used on someone else. He got injured last season, so he wasn't very effective, and his health wasn't great this year, either. It was a bit surprising that he was waived this year, rather than someone like Sutherby, but he just didn't have a place on the team. GMGM tried to get him out this year by bringing him through waivers multiple times this season, but nobody wanted his contract. At least this way he can move on, apparently his attitude wasn't great after the trade deadline passed and he was stuck in the AHL.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
It was just last November that Hamilton was considered by many a steal.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...light=hamilton

I know he was hit by injuries, but was it really that necessary to buy out a guy for $600k?
When you're a team that has to operate under a tight budget, yes. Hamilton wouldn't be able to make the team next season. He's not good enough to play in the top 9 and he's too small to play on the fourth line. The problem is he's on a one-way deal so that's 800k to play in Albany and this team can't afford that.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 09:30 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
When you're a team that has to operate under a tight budget, yes. Hamilton wouldn't be able to make the team next season. He's not good enough to play in the top 9 and he's too small to play on the fourth line. The problem is he's on a one-way deal so that's 800k to play in Albany and this team can't afford that.
So the team can find a replacement for less than $200k?

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:32 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
So the team can find a replacement for less than $200k?
The canes already signed his replacement, his name is Brandon Sutter.

With the depth the Canes have at forward and Rutherford saying he wants the 4th line tougher, Hamilton no longer factors into the Canes plans.

Not the official lines, but so far this is who is signed:

Whitney-Staal-Cole
Samsonov-Brind'Amour-Williams
Eaves/Ruutu-Cullen-Walker
LaRose-Sutter-enforcer

As you can see we already have 10 top 9 forwards which one has to go for a defenseman. Keeping Hamilton is a waste of money for this team. Rutherford would rather buy him out then pay him $800K to play in Albany.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I am one of very few that have considered Tanabe to be sand bagging his injury this entire time. I know that head injuries and concussions in particular are no joke but Carolina wasn't pleased with the amount of contact he was keeping with the organization about his progress.

Tanabe will never play another shift in the NHL. I can almost assure you of that. I think he saw the writing on the wall and wined and dine Carolina to pick him back up to get promised money for the next two years. If it worked out he was able to play, then great, but if he got injured in the slightest then it just simply wasn't worth it for him to come back and finish the contract. Since the injury he has done nothing to contact Carolina and didn't seem interested in getting back into playing shape either in his physical or mental. He really roped Carolina into taking a chance on him and this is how he repaid them.

Hamilton looked like one of the biggest free agent discoveries known to man when his confidence was high and he was being productive on the point of the powerplay. He still has one of the best shots i've ever seen but the only place he can use it is from the point on the powerplay and he has far too much rattle in his stick to hold that job down.

If a team can catch him on high confidence and put him into a role where he can have success then he'll be a valuable 15-20 goal scorer for somebody. He has the natural talent... but aside from his shot the only real attribute the guy has is slightly above average speed. He was exposed as his role increased with Carolina to the extent that he didn't even look like the same player that he did in October by the time December came around.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
He's been overtaken by players in the system, and the Caps are preparing to nearly max out their cap room (and maybe LTIR space, if they put Pothier there) this season if they to, in order to sign Huet, Green, Feodorov, Laich, and Morrisonn. That's a million dollars they don't need to be spending or burying in the minors. Leonsis sounds like he's given the green light to spend, but it'll take most of that room to keep everyone.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Foy

Quote:
He only spent one year in the minors. In 05-06 he was solid, putting up 16 goals on the third line for the god-awful caps. We were going to shift him back to D the following season, he tweaked his groin the very first game, the defensive experiment was a failure both for Clymer, and the development of the now departed Steve Eminger who he was partnered with. Clymer went back to forward, but didn't get it done most of the year. He had surgery on the groin in the offseason, and came back to camp last fall with a nasty attitude. He even got into a fight with a teammate during training camp. He didn't like going to the minors, pouted about it, the team put him up and down through waivers multiple times with no takers, and now they've bought him out to get him away from the rest of the developing kids.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote