HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Wellwood and Raycroft Waived, Tucker bought out.... Wellwood claimed by Canucks.

Old
06-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
We do. I don't know if there would be much of a market for him later on in that deal. But we will have a logjam at defence.. because, O'Byrne isn't there, Weber, Carle and Subban should all make cases for the offensive D-man portion. Then we have a wildcard like Torp.
Gotcha. Fair enough.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Let's go get Raycroft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

............for Hamilton!!!!

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Let's go get Raycroft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

............for Hamilton!!!!
I wouldn't even take him as our 3rd stringer... honestly....

There has to be something better out there.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Maybe it`s a little bit of payback?

Don`t know how much time you spent around the forums several years back...but we took heaps of abuse and lots of arrogant behavior from a lot of Leaf fans. Funny though...some of us told them their style of team-building would come back and bite them in the rear.
I started posting here when HF began, on the old Flat File BBS.. it really has never been that bad. A couple duds stirring the pot.. from both sides of the fence. The team bashing goes both ways.. always has .. always will. Jesus, the AOL message boards in 94-95 were full of Hab/Leaf bash fests..{Islander fans being the absolute most annoying} its never ending.

I hate the Leafs, I hope they continue to suck.. but it wasn't long ago we were icing Patrick Poulin, Craig Darby and David Wilke....I just wonder if a few of the younger fans forgot about our rough times?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 12:10 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I wouldn't even take him as our 3rd stringer... honestly....

There has to be something better out there.
stop being so generous, I wouldn't take him as the eighth stringer, not for ECHL.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:43 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
you do realize Tucker has outscored SAKU for BASICALLY the last 8 years.

funny the so called "dummy" as you call him vs our best player

2007-08 Toronto NHL 74 /18 GOALS
2006-07 Toronto NHL 56 /24
2005-06 Toronto NHL 74 /28
2003-04 Toronto NHL 64 /21
2002-03 Toronto NHL 77 /10
2001-02 Toronto NHL 77 /24
2000-01 Toronto NHL 82 /16

vs

Saku Koivu

2007-08 Montreal NHL 77 /16 GOALS
2006-07 Montreal NHL 81 /22
2005-06 Montreal NHL 72 /17
2003-04 Montreal NHL 68 /14
2002-03 Montreal NHL 82 /21
2001-02 Montreal NHL 3 /0
2000-01 Montreal NHL 54 /17
Yes, such a comparison is funny. Let's compare Guillaume Latendresse next shall we?

You like Recchi and Darcy, fine. Stuck in the past, fine.
Where's Vinny Damphousse, we should bring him back as well.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
How did a 'Wellwood & Raycroft waived, Tucker bought out' thread turn into this?
Welcome to HF boards where way out of left field is right around the corner

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Moester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
stop being so generous, I wouldn't take him as the eighth stringer, not for ECHL.
Actually Raycroft isn't a horrible goaltender, he's simply not the caliber goaltender that the Leafs needed. I think with a capable defensive corp and a couple of responsible forwards he could be a capable 1b taking 20-30 games per season.

Old
06-27-2008, 08:36 AM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Leafs top line as for right now : Blake/Stajan/Antropov

We're not tanking
I agree it seems obvious that they are gunning for Tavares at the next draft. However as long as Toskala is in nets i think the leafs can still manage to win some games. At least i hope so, without sundin this team will be funny to watch.

shamrun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:49 AM
MaKi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
I agree it seems obvious that they are gunning for Tavares at the next draft. However as long as Toskala is in nets i think the leafs can still manage to win some games. At least i hope so, without sundin this team will be funny to watch.
Brightside is if they are planning on tanking that's 16 pts for the habs

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Moester

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
I think that a lot of people were saying the same things about the Oilewrs without vets. And at the beggining of the season they were right. In the last few months, nobody was laughing anymore. I think that Fletcher hopes that without all of his current leaders and vets that more of his young guys will be looking to step it up to the next level. Personally I think we'll see guys like Steen and Antropov stand up and take a lot more space on the lines and the PP. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs at about the same win/loss ratio this year even if they trade away McCabe and Kubina.

Fletcher is obviously committed to a youth movement and isn't affraid to tank a year or two to achieve it. If I were a Leafs fan, I would just hope to see them avoid signing some 30 year old to a 10 year contract. I get the feeling that Fletcher might be thinking of throwing lots of dollars at Hossa though. He's young enough to be worthwhile and has plenty of skill to build around.

Old
06-27-2008, 10:08 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKmtl View Post
12 pts. They are changing the sched so we only see them 6 times a year now. At least we still have the Bruins.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Artyukhin*

Tucker says he doesnt want a multi year deal.HE also says he'd like to paly for someone SERIOUS about winning the stanley cup,

id say Tucker on a 1 year deal is low risk

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:42 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Career

SaKU
727 games 175 goals 416asts/ 591 pts

Tucker
813 games 197 goals 239asts /436 pts

tucker has more than 700 more minutes in the penealty box than saku
Which is a massive part of the problem.

Even worse, the percentage of those penalty minutes that stem from cheap shots and selfish penalties is also through the roof.

Factor that with his pathetic playoff numbers and I can't fathom why anybody would want this guy.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 02:52 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Some people here are a bit retarded -- everybody in the NHL is there because they want to win, if you don't win, you lose your job. Do you honestly think one team's "Plan A" (excuse my laughter) IS TO LOSE EVERY GAME?

Either you are like 14 or you've accepted the 1984 Pittsburgh Lemieux myth (yes myth, because it's not a proven fact) as a common practice among competitive leagues

"They waived Wellwood and traded a 3rd rounder for a good character player --- CAN'T YOU SEE THEY ARE TRYING TO LOSE 82 GAMES NEXT YEAR?" seriously... and you'll only believe they aren't trying to tank if a superstar decides HE wants to go there...hahaha...okay I'm sorry for making fun of you but come on
You are incredibly naive.

Old
06-29-2008, 02:56 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccliquer View Post
We needed Mayers \
You know your hockey club is in serious distress when you "need" Jamal Mayers.

Old
06-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Tucker316*

Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Which is a massive part of the problem.

Even worse, the percentage of those penalty minutes that stem from cheap shots and selfish penalties is also through the roof.

Factor that with his pathetic playoff numbers and I can't fathom why anybody would want this guy.
Because he brings all the necessary intangibles. Plus he has more grit and heart than so many of our guys on the bottom lines. He's better.

Tucker316* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:42 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316 View Post
Because he brings all the necessary intangibles. Plus he has more grit and heart than so many of our guys on the bottom lines. He's better.
Players with heart aren't selfish.

The script played itself out time and time again for the Maple Leafs.

Any important game, be it a big one on the schedule or a playoff game, Tucker would step on the ice salivating like a wild junk yard dog. Mentally, I suspect there is something that just fails to click. He is too amped up, too psyched up, too much in 'over drive.'

He skates around the ice, abandoning his position, abandoning his wing, abandoning his defensive responsibilities and tries to hit someone.

9 times out of 10 this is a penalty because the person in question doesn't have the puck or Tucker has left his feet or something.

This, of course, is followed by a shot of him in the penalty box looking like Charles Manson. Next, Harry Neale or Bob Cole would ramble on about his "intensity." Neale would always point out he has "the eye of the Tiger" at this point.

Shortly after he leaves the box, someone from the opposition will flatten Tucker. This is easily done because he's 5-10, 175 and skates around with his head down when he has the puck. So he gets laid out.

Guess what happens next?

Tucker spend the rest of the game/playoff series trying to make up for his bruised ego. Does he do this by scoring clutch goals, being an agitator or dishing out punishment?

No.

He does this with cheap shots, illegal hits and generally losing all of his focus like a crazed rabid dog. Essentially, he does so by taking a string of selfish penalties. Sometimes the Leafs could have the puck and be entering the zone on an odd-man rush, but behind the play Tucker is swinging his stick at someone.

I was a huge fan of Darcy Tucker when he was drafted by the Canadiens. I loved him as a Junior. He looked like Bobby Clarke. He looked like a leader. He looked like a playoff warrior.

And, in the American League, he also looked solid. But in Montreal, he wouldn't stop fighting. He seemed to think that in order to "prove" he was tough he needed to fight. He thought, in order to stick in Montreal I need to fight. However, there was one thing about these constant fights and scrums that was clearly being missed by Darcy. He was losing each time. He always came out on the wrong end.

It was pointed out by Red Fisher that watching a guy get the snot knocked out of him doesn't fire up the team. By the time Darcy was shipped to Tampa Bay, while I didn't like the trade, I had cooled on him considerably as an NHL prospect. Quite simply, he lacked then (and lacks now) the ability to focus on the team system, play his role and contribute. His selfishness has no bounds. The second Tucker gets run into the boards, it's all over, the rest of the game it's Darcy's agenda. And the payoff, if it comes, is always irrelvant. He's too small to intimidate the other team, so the entire exercise is pointless.

But, even if all of the above wasn't true - just take a look at his playoff numbers. THEY ARE AWFUL. SIMPLY AWFUL. Montreal is a team on the cusp. On the brink. As a fan, all I give a damn about is playoff success, so why on earth would I support any move to bring in a player who is notoriously awful in the post-season?

Coming from someone who was a huge fan of his - I take a huge pass.

Old
06-29-2008, 06:21 PM
mcphee

I can't disagree with Ferris. Thing is that part of me thinks a bit of crazy would help the team.

In the end though, he can one time cross crease passes, but the cH have plenty of guys that can score off the wing on the pp.

If you could put him on the wing and trust him to shut down a good winger,fine, but you can't.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKmtl View Post
On the downside though it means 12 points for everyone else in the NE as well

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote