HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA list Summer 08.... Who is coming? Who do you want Gainey to bring?

Old
06-25-2008, 07:45 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
That's a good idea, cause if it's not Sundin, than at least a good 3rd/2nd liner is what's needed.
I agree. I like Stoll. He does a few things well that fit our needs, including the point on the pp.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Beakermania*

Plan B for me is Brian Rolston at C.... His speed and two way game would make a deadly combo with Higgins I think.... maybe pair them with Sergei.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 07:50 PM
sampollock

habs need a big centre, have needed it for sometime, and bob is trying to address that.

if mats don't come, try hossa

or stoll, we need a top face off dude.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 01:00 AM
Adam91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Plan B for me is Brian Rolston at C.... His speed and two way game would make a deadly combo with Higgins I think.... maybe pair them with Sergei.
After thinking it over I'm now also very high on Rolston.

Him and Brunette remain the top two forwards on my wishlist.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 01:40 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Agreed. People around here have really turned me on... to Rolston, Brunette, and Stoll as possible options for plan B, that is.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:04 AM
WeezyHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Stoll is RFA with Edmonton not UFA. I like the idea of getting a RFA from Edmonton but no progression here 68, 39, 36. +/-:4, 2, -23.
The only way you are going to get this guy is to get back at him for Penner and he is not a good choice... But Pitkanen as a fourth liner...

Brunette may get 70+ point. We should put hm on 3rd line.

I fell like Rolston is going to go down next year. Below 50 points.

huh?

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:56 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
months ago, Higgins was over rated though. In the hf mad dash to overdo everything, he's become underated now.

I think the point here is to not wrap up an entire opinion on 1 year. I like Marleau's skillset, big powerful skater but he just doesn't add up somehow. Still, he's much better than what we saw this year.

Higgins numbers were close to what we should expect long term, I think 60 would be a solid average , but he isn't the suddenly worthless player, that we now slot him as, while hiding behind, 'he's just a 3rd liner'.
We could probably start an award, I'd call it The Ryder Award, and give it to players whose HFboards memory is collectively shortest about.

The first recipient , if not Mike Ryder himself, should be Higgins.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 07:32 AM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Agreed. People around here have really turned me on... to Rolston, Brunette, and Stoll as possible options for plan B, that is.
Stoll.

*shudder*

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Artie

While it's great to dream of the possible outcome of the Sundin sweepstakes, I think we may be able to look at a couple of other scenarios (at least for discussion purposes)

I would still like to shore up our D. I personally like JM Liles as a replacement for Streit. It would give us a point man on the PP and much better defensively than Streit.

I also like the Oprik or J Smith options as ways to strengthen ourselves defensively (especially for the playoffs).

If the Philly series taught us anything, it should have highlighted that we need to get a little stronger on the 3rd and 4th line. Rolston is an ideal candidate, especially given that Tanguay has been added to the top 6. It gives us some flexibility on the 2nd and 3rd lines.

Some other names to keep in mind: Andre Roy, Andrew Brunette, Brenndan Morrison (as an alternative to Rolston - not ideal but a consideration nonetheless), Ryan Malone (although I think he's going to get over-paid if he leaves Pitts).

Demitra and Naslund are also available, but I'm skeptical about both.

An alternative to Roy would be Aaron Asham (still a favorite of mine)

Patrick Lalime, anyone??? as a mentor for Price if Halak is moved.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Stoll.

*shudder*
Yeah, not ideal. But gotta be an improvement over Smoke. And perhaps I should have put him in my group C...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Guillemin

Quote:
Yeah, not ideal. But gotta be an improvement over Smoke. And perhaps I should have put him in my group C...
Which Smoke?

Regular season Smoke? Or playoff Smoke?

Old
06-26-2008, 08:58 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
While it's great to dream of the possible outcome of the Sundin sweepstakes, I think we may be able to look at a couple of other scenarios (at least for discussion purposes)

I would still like to shore up our D. I personally like JM Liles as a replacement for Streit. It would give us a point man on the PP and much better defensively than Streit.

I also like the Oprik or J Smith options as ways to strengthen ourselves defensively (especially for the playoffs).

If the Philly series taught us anything, it should have highlighted that we need to get a little stronger on the 3rd and 4th line. Rolston is an ideal candidate, especially given that Tanguay has been added to the top 6. It gives us some flexibility on the 2nd and 3rd lines.

Some other names to keep in mind: Andre Roy, Andrew Brunette, Brenndan Morrison (as an alternative to Rolston - not ideal but a consideration nonetheless), Ryan Malone (although I think he's going to get over-paid if he leaves Pitts).

Demitra and Naslund are also available, but I'm skeptical about both.

An alternative to Roy would be Aaron Asham (still a favorite of mine)

Patrick Lalime, anyone??? as a mentor for Price if Halak is moved.

Back at the deadline, I believe you were leaning towrds a kind of Witt type [Brendan not Katrina] as the d lacked a bit of bite. I wanted the name forward because it seems I've become a big name junkie. When I hear rumours and names that came close to ending up here, it seems that puck moving d's like Liles are what interests them. I have no idea if he would be remotely interested and Gainey has seemed to not be looking in that direction, but that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Brendan Morrison is a hard read. How good defensively is he ? Faceoffs ? Could he be a good fit as while he isn't spectacular, he adds depth and can be asked to step up if someone goes down.

C isn't a weakness, but we don't really know what the org. expects from Chipchura next year, and while I like Lapierre, he has limitations in the middle fundamentally, and he isn't going to distribute the puck.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Guillemin

Quote:

I like the Smith option, Orpik too expensive. Pass on JM Liles though. We have Markov to pass on the PP, and Liles doesn't have a killer shot.

Rolston too expensive to play on the third line. He'll go for probably 4 million based on his last couple of years.

Old
06-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Back at the deadline, I believe you were leaning towrds a kind of Witt type [Brendan not Katrina] as the d lacked a bit of bite. I wanted the name forward because it seems I've become a big name junkie. When I hear rumours and names that came close to ending up here, it seems that puck moving d's like Liles are what interests them. I have no idea if he would be remotely interested and Gainey has seemed to not be looking in that direction, but that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Brendan Morrison is a hard read. How good defensively is he ? Faceoffs ? Could he be a good fit as while he isn't spectacular, he adds depth and can be asked to step up if someone goes down.

C isn't a weakness, but we don't really know what the org. expects from Chipchura next year, and while I like Lapierre, he has limitations in the middle fundamentally, and he isn't going to distribute the puck.

I agree on Morrison, that's why he was a bit of an afterthought. I do think we are weak at C. Sundin would address a lot of the issues by pushing Koivu and Pleks down. But I think plan B needs to address the C and D position.

At D I think we will need to replace Streit's PP contribution (and Markov seems to like to pass forst) and I still believe we need to add some grit.

I'm hoping Chips gets some PK and 4th line duty. Lapierre I would move to the wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
I like the Smith option, Orpik too expensive. Pass on JM Liles though. We have Markov to pass on the PP, and Liles doesn't have a killer shot.

Rolston too expensive to play on the third line. He'll go for probably 4 million based on his last couple of years.
Oprik may be over priced but if you need to add that element you may have to pay. I think O'Byrne is still a project and not nearly as ready as people want him to be.

Rolston gives you many options and adds the elements you are missing. Size, speed and some grit on the 3rd line. Is it worth 4 million...depends on who else is available.

I watched a few Col games this year and liked what I saw from Liles. He seemed composed at the blueline and wasn't afraid to shoot.

If Liles doesn't do it for you, how about Stuart from Detroit.

Old
06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
I agree on Morrison, that's why he was a bit of an afterthought. I do think we are weak at C. Sundin would address a lot of the issues by pushing Koivu and Pleks down. But I think plan B needs to address the C and D position.

At D I think we will need to replace Streit's PP contribution (and Markov seems to like to pass forst) and I still believe we need to add some grit.

I'm hoping Chips gets some PK and 4th line duty. Lapierre I would move to the wing.

Oprik may be over priced but if you need to add that element you may have to pay. I think O'Byrne is still a project and not nearly as ready as people want him to be.

Rolston gives you many options and adds the elements you are missing. Size, speed and some grit on the 3rd line. Is it worth 4 million...depends on who else is available.

I watched a few Col games this year and liked what I saw from Liles. He seemed composed at the blueline and wasn't afraid to shoot.

If Liles doesn't do it for you, how about Stuart from Detroit.
Without Streit taking PP quarterbacking duties, I don't see as our D in need of someone like Orpik or Stuart. A forward can handle it just as well. Having Streit/Souray on the PP is not something the team is reliant on. The team is constantly moving and passing while on the PP and Kovalev on the left of the goalie is just always fun to watch, he attracts attention opening other players.
Orpik on D would be nice, but he won't be worth the money thrown at him, there's always a player every UFA period that teams want to go after and end up paying more than they should. McKee was the leading shot blocker a couple of seasons ago and the demand for him went up and now he has a contract for 4 mil per season. Even Paul Martin is making more than Komi.(for now)

The oonly aspect we really still need is a large C. I'm pretty much fine with our wings and our D at this point, hopefully O'B can keep progressing and Stewart gets another call up.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:52 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Interesting. This guy has largely flown under my radar since moving to Minnesota (and just started catching my attention recently with Colorado), so I felt I should do a little bit of digging...

And you may be onto something. At first I had concerns about his age, as I know he is no spring chicken. But looking back, he has only missed one game in the last 6 seasons, so those age-related health concerns that I originally had are cleared up. He is also more solidly built than my original impression. I had lingering impressions of back in the day, a barely 6 foot guy at like 170/180 pounds. The guy is a solid 200+ and over 6'.

Also, I was surprised at how efficient he seems to be at finishing. Almost 200 career goals at an 18% success clip... 22% in the playoffs (16 goals in 43 games). In fact, his playoff production is about 10% higher (ppg-wise) than the regular season, and that in itself shows an important character element.

I know that stats are stats and only stats, but yeah. Lots of evidence that for the right price he could be a valuable vet. To be honest, I'd rather see him out there on that "third line" that everyone is suggesting if Sundin comes (Higgins - Koivu - Lats) than Latendresse. Higgins - Koivu - Brunette is a pretty solid and dependable "3rd" line if you ask me. Assuming his age isn't impeding his ability to play a true 2-way game.

Leaving a 4th line of Lats - Chips - Kosto... if we wanna play the fantasy lineup game.

So my next question: how much is he gonna demand on the market?
Nice post. The guy is continually one of the most under rated players in the league. He puts up good numbers regularly and can put the puck in the net. He has some good experience and is a heart and soul kind of guy. He also brings some toughness and grit to the lineup which would be really important. He is always good in the playoffs and he would give the Habs another dimension as far as I'm concerned. It would be a great signing IMO.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Nice post. The guy is continually one of the most under rated players in the league. He puts up good numbers regularly and can put the puck in the net. He has some good experience and is a heart and soul kind of guy. He also brings some toughness and grit to the lineup which would be really important. He is always good in the playoffs and he would give the Habs another dimension as far as I'm concerned. It would be a great signing IMO.
I agree, I'm surprised the Avs haven't done anything with him.

Old
06-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Andy

If we are unable to get Sundin dow to a contract I'd like for habs to push hard for Ryan Malone

Potential Line up

Tanguay Plekanec Kovalev
S. Kostitsyn Koivu A. Kostitsyn
Higgins Chipchura Malone
Latendresse Lappiere Kostopoulos

Line 1: Obvious
Line 2:I'd leave Andrei on the first, but you'd have 3 playmakers on a line if Tanguy played with Saks and Sergei, plus Andrei finally gets to play RW and wont play in Kovalev's shadow
Line 3:Would make a great shutdown line, 3 are great defensivly and strong in the corners, smallest guy on the line is Higgins, would be hard to score against, plus they could score
Line 4: Grinders doing what Grinders do best

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 12:16 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

My top choice is obviously Sundin.

After that;

Andrew Brunette
Antti Meitinen
Jozef Stumpel (waivers)

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
My top choice is obviously Sundin.

After that;

Andrew Brunette
Antti Meitinen
Jozef Stumpel (waivers)
Miettinen used to interest me (especially when I watched him in Hamilton playing with Higgins and Plekanec) but he has regressed. Not sure of his upside anymore.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 12:29 PM
PJ Wiggum

Send a message via MSN to PJ Wiggum
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
If we are unable to get Sundin dow to a contract I'd like for habs to push hard for Ryan Malone

Potential Line up

Tanguay Plekanec Kovalev
S. Kostitsyn Koivu A. Kostitsyn
Higgins Chipchura Malone
Latendresse Lappiere Kostopoulos

Line 1: Obvious
Line 2:I'd leave Andrei on the first, but you'd have 3 playmakers on a line if Tanguy played with Saks and Sergei, plus Andrei finally gets to play RW and wont play in Kovalev's shadow
Line 3:Would make a great shutdown line, 3 are great defensivly and strong in the corners, smallest guy on the line is Higgins, would be hard to score against, plus they could score
Line 4: Grinders doing what Grinders do best
This is also what I had in mind if Sundin decides not to come here. Put Chipchura on the third line and play him with Higgins and a solid two way guy like Brunette, since I think Malone would be too expensive. Or find a solid two way centre with size to play between Higgins and Latendresse. The top two lines stay the same because I don't see Tanguay as a good fit with Koivu and Sergei.

PJ Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 12:53 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Stoll is RFA with Edmonton not UFA. I like the idea of getting a RFA from Edmonton but no progression here 68, 39, 36. +/-:4, 2, -23.
The only way you are going to get this guy is to get back at him for Penner and he is not a good choice... But Pitkanen as a fourth liner...

Brunette may get 70+ point. We should put hm on 3rd line.

I fell like Rolston is going to go down next year. Below 50 points.
am I the only one who didn't understand a word?

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
What 2 Free Agents Do you Want With the Habs?

There are 3 rules to follow in your answer so as to
make the answers as brief and succint as possible.

1 - Name one forward you'd like us to have (Not Hossa).

2 - Name one Defenseman/Goalie you'd like us to have.

3 - Hossa is not to be included in any of the choices
because of the high likeliness that he will stay with the Pens.

My two choices are:

1 - Brooks Orpik
2 - Patrick Lalime

Your turn now:

Well since Hossa isn't staying with the Pens....

1 - Marian Hossa
2 - We don't need a goalie because we'll have Halak backing up and we don't need a defencemen because after we sign Streit and Gorges we'll have our top 6 and O'Byrne will be the 7th.

But we do need a big centermen....so I hope we sign Sundin....if not, we should trade for a guy like Jason Arnott.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Captain Saku

After Sundin, I'd like to try to sign one of the following centers:

Bobby Holik
Curtis Brown
Sergei Fedorov

I think the 3 of them would be a very good acquisition for the 3rd line.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Several packages I'd like to acquire :

1 - Sundin and Rozsival (We'd have to trade Bouillon)

2- Hossa and Fedorov

3- Morrison and Campbell (We'd have to trade Bouillon)

I tend to think Rozsival would be an important acquisition, almost as important as Sundin. He would complete the top 4 pairings with Hammer. He's a Czech like Hammer and is a right shot. This would make the Habs top 4, one of the best in the league.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote