HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comparing then to now

Old
06-26-2008, 10:46 AM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
Comparing then to now

Here's a question that I sure will foster some discussion.
In the days of the Original Six, each team carried 11 forwards, 5 dmen, and two goalies for a total of 104 players. For the sake of this discussion, lets increase that to the current roster size of 12 forwards, 6 D, and 2 goalies for a total of 120 players in the entire league.
Breaking it down, that means there were only 24 centers, 48 wingers, 36 D and 12 goalies in the NHL.
If the NHL were to contract to only 6 teams, who of our current roster would be good enough to still play in the NHL?

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Interesting topic.

I'd say:

Gomez
Lundy
Staal
Jagr (if you could still consider him a Ranger right now)

Borderline:
Drury

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Interesting topic.

I'd say:

Gomez
Lundy
Staal

Borderline:
Drury
I totally agree with your assessment.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 10:55 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

14 forwards
7 defensemen
2 goaltenders.

You forgot to mention the bench players.

Every game there are 12 forwards and 6 D dressed, but there are 3 extra skaters on the NHL roster that are scratches any given night.

23x30=690 players on NHL rosters.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:00 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Interesting topic.

I'd say:

Gomez
Lundy
Staal

Borderline:
Drury
Lundy and Jagr.... there are more than 24 centers better than Gomez.. Staal maybe but I think he would still be in the minors.

and now that I think of it, Jagr might not be there either... he would probably be a player getting replaced as his age, and he is slowing down.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Interesting topic.

I'd say:

Gomez
Lundy
Staal

Borderline:
Drury
Yeah, I'd add Shanny to that list a few years ago though.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Lundy and Jagr.... there are more than 24 centers better than Gomez.. Staal maybe but I think he would still be in the minors.

and now that I think of it, Jagr might not be there either... he would probably be a player getting replaced as his age, and he is slowing down.
I know you're really anti Gomez and Drury, but Gomez is a very good center. He's easily top-25 in the league in my opinion, so while he wouldn't be the first choice, I doubt he'd be left out. Even if you throw out all the other things he brings to the game; Leadership, PK abilities, etc, he was still #21 in points amongst all centers.

Old
06-26-2008, 11:25 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
I know you're really anti Gomez and Drury, but Gomez is a very good center. He's easily top-25 in the league in my opinion, so while he wouldn't be the first choice, I doubt he'd be left out. Even if you throw out all the other things he brings to the game; Leadership, PK abilities, etc, he was still #21 in points amongst all centers.
i'm not actually anti them at all especially gomez whom I love... i'm just anti how people completely overrate him/them and drurys contract... big difference....

eh about gomez... he would definately be borderline... i really think that that there is a great group of young centers who have more potential than him, and have been playing great. he will start to fall in rankings in the next two years I think. There is a new breed of centers coming around that have size, speed, and skill.

Old
06-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
i'm not actually anti them at all especially gomez whom I love... i'm just anti how people completely overrate him/them and drurys contract... big difference....

eh about gomez... he would definately be borderline... i really think that that there is a great group of young centers who have more potential than him, and have been playing great. he will start to fall in rankings in the next two years I think. There is a new breed of centers coming around that have size, speed, and skill.
C'mon dude, you called them Smurfs yesterday.

I don't think its fair to say Gomez will get passed up in terms of ranking until you get him some talent to play with. He played the majority of the season with an aging Shanahan and rookie Dawes and still managed to put up very good numbers.

I think within the next 3 years Gomez will have a couple very talented wingers and will be putting up 90+ point seasons. Just a feeling.

Old
06-26-2008, 12:22 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
C'mon dude, you called them Smurfs yesterday.

I don't think its fair to say Gomez will get passed up in terms of ranking until you get him some talent to play with. He played the majority of the season with an aging Shanahan and rookie Dawes and still managed to put up very good numbers.

I think within the next 3 years Gomez will have a couple very talented wingers and will be putting up 90+ point seasons. Just a feeling.
i hope. he does need some better or at least faster wingers on his side.

hopefully we get jagr and sundin so drury will on his wing.

Old
06-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Fletch

Very tough question...

a team still doesn't put out the four best offensive players possible. There may still be a checking center, perhaps 'fourth line' centerman who gets 5 minutes per game. Perhaps there's still a goon. You still have to make an entire team so I don't think it's as easy as saying take the best 24 centerman, or 48 wingers, and be done with it.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote