HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Any further mention of Deslauriers?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-31-2004, 01:54 PM
  #26
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
I mentioned this earlier in this thread twice. The Oilers are offering just less than 2.65 million. If that isn't enough for JDD, it's the agent's fault and not the organization. But knowing fans, Lowe will be blamed once again like always.
It's funny though how it always seems to be hard for the Oilers. This ain't a shot at management but it always seems to be a struggle.

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
05-31-2004, 01:55 PM
  #27
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,112
vCash: 500
Let's hope it doesn't become a matter of principle.

It's funny, two days ago I was told this deal was so close, that it was all but done. Now Guy says that it's 60/40?

At the moment, I'm about 95% sure this deal will get done, simply because Deslauriers I do not think wants to take his chances of being drafted lower than he was last time and offered less by another team (or if the Oilers want to pull a Mathieu Chouinard, them again).

What is with this attitude with rookies these days, thinking they can nickle & dime teams like this, though? It truely is disgusting. All due respect to Deslauriers, he's not close to the goaltender Cam Ward is right now.

Mizral is offline  
Old
05-31-2004, 02:00 PM
  #28
speeds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St.Albert
Posts: 6,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
The only facts that we know are:

Cam Ward signed a contract that should ideally be a benchmark for JDD's, and that now, the 2 sides aren't very far apart in their deal.

That unfortunately isn't very much to go by because we don't know the following:

1). what camp JDD wants

2). what the oilers are offering

And to be honest, how can we honestly judge what (or who is right) without knowing anything about those 2 fundamental details.

We honestly have no clue what JDD is asking for, or what the Oilers are willing to give. That's why I don't understand these hostilities towards management at this time.
fair enough point, maybe I should hold the venom in until things play out a bit further, certainly wouldn't hurt

As for what we know/don't know, he's some info I've seen in the papers (if one wants to trust this source):

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040529/nhl_edm-sun.html

Deslauriers, selected 31st by the Oilers in 2002, and Dupont have been seeking a pact close to the $2.575 million US Carolina agreed to with Cam Ward, taken 25th, earlier this month.

The other comparable stopper to Deslauriers in the minds of both parties is Josh Harding, who received $2.375 million US, including a $750,000 signing bonus, from the Minnesota Wild.

While Howson wouldn't confirm it yesterday, indications are the Oilers have offered a deal worth just over $2.2M US over three years, a figure that includes a signing bonus of $600,000.



from that bit of info, it seems to me like Lowe is trying to use a bit too much info. It makes absolute sense to sign Deslauriers at Ward's numbers, especially if you can get him for a lower signing bonus. That is probably the holdup, given that Harding got 700K +, was taken later, and the Oilers are offering "only" 600K.

It just seems like they are so close there isn't a reason to not get this done, especially since Deslauriers will almost certainly be in the minors for 2, probably all 3, of the seasons on this contract.

speeds is offline  
Old
05-31-2004, 02:02 PM
  #29
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
That unfortunately isn't very much to go by because we don't know the following:

1). what camp JDD wants

2). what the oilers are offering

And to be honest, how can we honestly judge what (or who is right) without knowing anything about those 2 fundamental details.
But don't we roughly know where those two fundamentals are at this point? Given the fact that Cam Ward's contract is being used and the numerous mentions of the two parties being "close" in terms of monetary demands, I'm not exactly sure we can say we know nothing about those details at all.

If it turns out everyone was lying relatively about Deslauriers and his contract demands, then so be it. We lost him and I'd understand that. But if it's a case of Deslauriers wanting another 100 grand and Lowe not being able to swallow his pride... I'd say that is grounds for concern in terms of proper management.

Either way... this scenario just can't happen for this organization. They'll get it done. I'm sure.

momentai is offline  
Old
05-31-2004, 02:05 PM
  #30
Elvis Lives
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Deslauriers

It's splitting hairs, but Ward signed for $2.575 M, NOT $2.65 (Matheson's figures were slightly off) with $775,000 as a bonus spread over the term of the contract and $500, $600 and $700 in salary.

When Deslauriers contract is done, and I'm betting it will be, it'll come in at $2.3 M, give or take $100,000.

Chances are, Dupont is looking for the signing bonus up front as opposed to having it spread over the term of the deal, as Ward's was.

Elvis Lives is offline  
Old
05-31-2004, 02:35 PM
  #31
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Alrighty...

I thought those comments were just opinion of Brownlee that those were the numbers, but after reading it again, I don't have that same impression.

My bad, shutting up now on this until the signing is official!

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline  
Old
05-31-2004, 02:45 PM
  #32
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Let's hope it doesn't become a matter of principle

It's funny, two days ago I was told this deal was so close, that it was all but done. Now Guy says that it's 60/40?

At the moment, I'm about 95% sure this deal will get done, simply because Deslauriers I do not think wants to take his chances of being drafted lower than he was last time and offered less by another team (or if the Oilers want to pull a Mathieu Chouinard, them again).

What is with this attitude with rookies these days, thinking they can nickle & dime teams like this, though? It truely is disgusting. All due respect to Deslauriers, he's not close to the goaltender Cam Ward is right now.
Its seems to be a game of chicken and I agree with you that is in his best interest to sign now.

But it makes no sense for Deslauriers to go back in the draft because entry level contracts are going to be a lot different in the new CBA.

It only makes sense for his agent to try to squeeze a little more money and use the deadline as leverage but at the end of the day he will be leaving money on the table that he may never gain back if he goes back in the draft.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
05-31-2004, 03:15 PM
  #33
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
The fact that we know what Ward got makes it even more baffling that's it's taking so long. It's hard negotiating when you don't have a starting point, but this deal should have been done roughly at about the same time the Ward deal was done.

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
05-31-2004, 11:49 PM
  #34
Boondock Saint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
All due respect to Deslauriers, he's not close to the goaltender Cam Ward is right now.
Now that is just an ignorant statement. In fact, they have been remarkably comparable in their careers as of yet.

They were drafted six selections apart in the 2002 draft.

They were the two goaltenders selected to the World Junior selection camp that didn't make the squad.

Both carried their respective teams to the league semi-final where they lost to the enventual league champs.

While JDD doesn't have as good of numbers as Ward, he also didn't have the luxury of playing behind Phaneuf and co. on the Rebels.

While JDD doesn't seem to be as consistent as Ward, from what is to be gathered on the Web, he won multiple playoff games for the Sagueneens with some stunningly lop-sided shot totals.

I highly doubt you have seen enough of both goalies to really tell us who is the better goalie.

While it might be your opinion that JDD isn't as good as Ward, don't state it like it's fact.

Boondock Saint is offline  
Old
05-31-2004, 11:57 PM
  #35
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
While it might be your opinion that JDD isn't as good as Ward, don't state it like it's fact.
BDS, you been here long enough to know that's how Miz opperates and we all sadly have to simply live with it as we can't add him to that ignore list thing

It's not that you're all bad Miz, it's that you think you're an authority on everything, when we all know otherwise. How many time shave you seen the two.... three/four times maybe? The two players are EXTREMELY similar, in fact some could say that while Ward has the consistency edge (which is helped by having a superior defense in front of him) Desluariers has the higher upside with the ability to steal more game (as evidence in the playoffs, and only slightly worse numbers despite a worse team in a more offensive league)

thome_26 is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 12:10 AM
  #36
Asiaoil
Registered User
 
Asiaoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Thailand
Posts: 5,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
All due respect to Deslauriers, he's not close to the goaltender Cam Ward is right now.
What respect? Once again miz you are completely out of it. It was Ward who was totally outclassed at the World Junior camp by Fluery, Harding and JDD. Remember this from TSN:

In the last exhibition game of the Canadian team's selection camp, Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers started in net for Canada and stopped all seven shots he faced before he was relieved by Marc-Andre Fleury, who allowed one goal on 13 shots. Canadian team players Josh Harding and Cam Ward played in the OUA's net. Harding gave up two goals on nine shots in the OUA's net. Ward struggled and allowed seven goals on 22 shots.

Ward was cut the next day. JDD and Harding had the strongest showings (even better than Fluery) but JDD could not make up for a relatively poor performance at the earlier summer camp. Then in the Q playoffs - Deslaurier TOTALLY outplayed Fluery in their matchup. It wasn't even close.

Right now - JDD and Harding are better goalie prospects than Ward.

Asiaoil is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 07:37 PM
  #37
Boondock Saint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
C'mon Miz... I know you've been prowling around this board...

You can at least try to come and back up your ridiculous statements instead of disappearing....

Boondock Saint is offline  
Old
06-01-2004, 08:13 PM
  #38
GorillazXL
Registered User
 
GorillazXL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Now that is just an ignorant statement. In fact, they have been remarkably comparable in their careers as of yet.

They were drafted six selections apart in the 2002 draft.

They were the two goaltenders selected to the World Junior selection camp that didn't make the squad.

Both carried their respective teams to the league semi-final where they lost to the enventual league champs.

While JDD doesn't have as good of numbers as Ward, he also didn't have the luxury of playing behind Phaneuf and co. on the Rebels.

While JDD doesn't seem to be as consistent as Ward, from what is to be gathered on the Web, he won multiple playoff games for the Sagueneens with some stunningly lop-sided shot totals.

I highly doubt you have seen enough of both goalies to really tell us who is the better goalie.

While it might be your opinion that JDD isn't as good as Ward, don't state it like it's fact.
That's a pretty fair comparism between the two players. The big factor is the team that each of the players play on... and Ward (not taking anything away from him) plays on a much better team defensively. This doesn't mean JDD will be better but I totally agree that Miz's statement is way off.

GXL

GorillazXL is offline  
Old
06-02-2004, 08:07 PM
  #39
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,112
vCash: 500
I think you guys took my comments a little out of context. Let me explain:

Ward was a 1st round pick, won the goaltender of the year for the WHL Rebels this year, and moved himself up from a pretty good prospect to a potential franchise goaltender.

Deslauriers was a 2nd round pick, no awards this year (wasn't even mentioned to be in the running of any of them).

Ward could command 1st round money and then some after his amazing season. Deslauriers ought not to command that kind of cash. To me, Deslauriers ought not to have been in the same ballpack financially Ward is in.

As for play on the ice, there is no doubt Ward is better than Deslauriers right now - at least there shouldn't be. Different leagues or not, Ward was absolutely sensational. Yes, Deslauriers could be as good as him some day, but surely to hell not right now.

Deslauriers being cut after Ward is but a footnote - I would more concerned what they do for their respective teams.

PS: Before you go on about how Deslauriers had some of the best defensemen in the CHL in front of him, let me say by watching him this year with my own eyes, he is absolutely without a doubt one of the top 5 goaltender prospects in the league right now. Harding too is pretty good - just as a pure prospect, Deslauriers hasn't done enough to say he's better than Ward yet. Again, maybe someday, but not today.

Mizral is offline  
Old
06-02-2004, 08:47 PM
  #40
elphy101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Ward was a 1st round pick, won the goaltender of the year for the WHL Rebels this year, and moved himself up from a pretty good prospect to a potential franchise goaltender.

Deslauriers was a 2nd round pick, no awards this year (wasn't even mentioned to be in the running of any of them).
Deslauriers was picked 31st overall only 3 picks after Cam Ward. Heading into the draft, Deslauriers was the #1 ranked goalie by central scouting. Speculation even had the Oilers selecting Deslauriers with 1st round selection in the draft.

Quote:
As for play on the ice, there is no doubt Ward is better than Deslauriers right now - at least there shouldn't be. Different leagues or not, Ward was absolutely sensational. Yes, Deslauriers could be as good as him some day, but surely to hell not right now.
Quote:
Deslauriers being cut after Ward is but a footnote - I would more concerned what they do for their respective teams.
In regards to the WJC's, in the only time Deslauriers and Ward were on even footing which was at the WJC camp. Deslauriers badly outplayed Ward.

In regards to their play with their respective teams, Deslauriers made it deeper in the Q playoffs than Red Deer did in the dub. Red Deer went into the playoffs as a favorite. Chicoutimi went in as an underdog. Deslauriers stole several games for his team in the playoffs, by consensus he even outplayed MA Fleury. His team was on a continual basis heavily outshot and outplayed. Deslauriers was credited for his team being in the playoffs as long as they were. Don't get me wrong, Ward is a great goaltender but he's also on a great defensive team. Deslauriers wasn't.

elphy101 is offline  
Old
06-02-2004, 08:53 PM
  #41
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Deslauriers, Ward, Harding, I honestly have no clue who is better. What I do know is that the Oilers had NO ONE IN THE SYSTEM, so they had to sign their guy.

Also, for the first time in forever, I'm willing to give this scouting staff the benefit of the doubt. This isn't a Barry Fraser "gut feel look like a genius if it works out" pick, this is a guy who was highly rated in his draft year and was clearly near the top of his draft class in terms of his position.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
06-02-2004, 09:13 PM
  #42
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Deslauriers, Ward, Harding, I honestly have no clue who is better. What I do know is that the Oilers had NO ONE IN THE SYSTEM, so they had to sign their guy.

Also, for the first time in forever, I'm willing to give this scouting staff the benefit of the doubt. This isn't a Barry Fraser "gut feel look like a genius if it works out" pick, this is a guy who was highly rated in his draft year and was clearly near the top of his draft class in terms of his position.
Exactly. Deslauriers agent knows full well that we have no depth when it comes to goaltending and that Lowe really did not want to take the chance of going back into the draft so played a little hardball.

By the same token Lowe knows that the team that picks Deslauries may have 3 or 4 goaltending prospects and that the CBA may not offer such attractive signing bonuses or performance bonuses and could even include lower salaries.

So Deslauriers gets a higher signing bonus but it is spread over the life of the contract. It benefits the Oilers because they don't have to anti up the whole amount in a year where they will not have a lot of revenue and Deslauriers gets the signing bonus and salary structure that may not be available if he goes back in the draft.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
06-03-2004, 12:16 AM
  #43
Boondock Saint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I think you guys took my comments a little out of context. Let me explain:

Ward was a 1st round pick, won the goaltender of the year for the WHL Rebels this year, and moved himself up from a pretty good prospect to a potential franchise goaltender.

Deslauriers was a 2nd round pick, no awards this year (wasn't even mentioned to be in the running of any of them).
Six picks seperated JDD and Ward.... That's a pretty weak argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

Ward could command 1st round money and then some after his amazing season. Deslauriers ought not to command that kind of cash. To me, Deslauriers ought not to have been in the same ballpack financially Ward is in.
JDD was paid in the same ballpark as Ward and it was announced publicly that after Ward was signed, both parties used his deal as a comparable to start from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
As for play on the ice, there is no doubt Ward is better than Deslauriers right now - at least there shouldn't be. Different leagues or not, Ward was absolutely sensational. Yes, Deslauriers could be as good as him some day, but surely to hell not right now.
I realize that Ward might have been sensational, but did you even see Deslauriers play this year??? Your comments earlier sounded like you had at least seen both play this year....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Deslauriers being cut after Ward is but a footnote - I would more concerned what they do for their respective teams.
It is the only chance that anyone had to see these guys head-to-head and you say it's a footnote??? This IMO is the foremost example to use when judging these two guys. Two goalies from two very different leagues and JDD was arguably the best goalie there, or one of the top two along with Harding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
PS: Before you go on about how Deslauriers had some of the best defensemen in the CHL in front of him, let me say by watching him this year with my own eyes, he is absolutely without a doubt one of the top 5 goaltender prospects in the league right now. Harding too is pretty good - just as a pure prospect, Deslauriers hasn't done enough to say he's better than Ward yet. Again, maybe someday, but not today.
What has Ward done that JDD hasn't besides the goaltender of the year award?? I'd say that's more of a footnote than the head-to-head matchup, wouldn't you???

Deslauriers had a tremendous playoff and let the Sagueneens passed MAF's Screaming Eagles in a head-to-head duel with perhaps the best goalie prospect out there.

I understand that you saw Ward with your own eyes, but before you can say JDD is not even close to the prospect that Ward is, you should probably at least watch JDD a couple of times.

Boondock Saint is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.