HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What if Rangers cant sign Jagr, Hossa

Old
06-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
I think I did, some may say sign but really they are taking away from a team that placed money time and development into a player. Am I angry we didn't get any compensation for Gomez, Rafaski and Niedermayer. Yes, we should have gotten 3 1st round picks, instead we got nothing.
It's still not worded right, players become UFAs, it's in the CBA. The entire idea of being a free agent is just that, you gave your dues to the team that drafted you, now you get to enjoy the fruits of your hard work and sign where you want, for the best money you can get.

BTW if you think this is stealing, imagine what the European teams are feeling about their top talent being snatched away every single season when they literally developed those players (unlike the NHL, in Europe the players go to schools and are sponsored by the teams as they learn the game). The difference is most European teams don't get more than a single productive season from their developed players, the moment a player is viable NHL talent he's gone, zero compensation.

To put it shortly, all teams lose players to UFA, all teams get to maintain RFAs as much as they like. It's fair.

When the Devils wanted Elias they gave him the money, so it's not like the Devils can't financially maintain the services of players they want, granted the players has to want to play for them as well.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:22 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Try drafting some stars. It angers me when a team's game plan is to steal FA.
Like we stole Gomez, right? Please. He ran, not walked, away from you guys.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
I think I did, some may say sign but really they are taking away from a team that placed money time and development into a player. Am I angry we didn't get any compensation for Gomez, Rafaski and Niedermayer. Yes, we should have gotten 3 1st round picks, instead we got nothing.
why? your team is operating under the same cap as the Rangers, Ducks and Wings. it just so happens they would rather spend it on Mogilny, Malakhov, Zubrus, White, Gionta etc.

Quote:
if you've followed the Rangers the slightest since the lockout, you'd know that they place a high priority on development. they have signed a couple big free agents, put that doesn't disclude them from developing their own players. just like how the Devils have many plans of action: signing mediocre players to 6 year contracts is only one of them.

Last edited by Brian Boyle: 06-26-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:28 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Like we stole Gomez, right? Please. He ran, not walked, away from you guys.
the best part is that not only can't Lou keep his own UFA's but he can't lure any others either so if I were a Devil fan I'd be whining about playing by the CBA UFA rules as well.

But having everybody on their board calling for signing some bigtime UFA's away from other teams takes the cake, especially those willing to pay "whatever it takes" to land a Hossa or a Campbell.

and then when somebody else signs them they'll whine about how stupid "x" team was to give that much money.

The only thing better is when on July 1st they realize that they never had a shot at any and Lou unviels his latest bigtime UFA signing, the recently bought out Joseph Stumpel!!!

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:33 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmarberrys View Post
Why dont we wait till next year and get ourselves some Eric Staal or Rick Nash!!!!
if you think either team will let Nash and Staal go to FA, youre nuts.
Hossa wont play for the Rangers either cause they have no future or solid players. Ritch Winters went over what Hossa wants on Team 1260 yesterday. if there was an archive of it, its worth listening to. youd have to offer him probably 11 million to go there

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
Hossa wont play for the Rangers either cause they have no future or solid players. Ritch Winters went over what Hossa wants on Team 1260 yesterday. if there was an archive of it, its worth listening to. youd have to offer him probably 11 million to go there
Uh.. what?

Future:
Anisimov, Korpikoski, Cherepanov, Grachev, Sanguinetti, Del Zotto, Sauer, Potter, Weise, Dupont.

Solid players:
Gomez, Drury, Dubinsky, Staal, Tyutin, Girardi, Dawes, Callahan and that Lundqvist guy..

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:49 PM
u8mylife47

Quote:
Whoa! Great Idea! All these years we've been trying to draft losers!

u8mylife47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:52 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
Yeah... we have no future

Take your ignorance elsewhere

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:53 PM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Plan T

Tank it = John Taveras
There is no way in hell we'd get the first pick, even if we did tank the season.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Are you trying to say that you think there should be a rule that provides compensation for signed UFAs, or are you saying that you're pissed at Lou for not trading those guys at the deadlines prior to them leaving? One makes a ton of sense, the other, well, not so much...

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Hahahahaha @ Jason complaining about Gomez running as fast as he could away from the Devils and not getting compensation.

Holy crap, man. Give me a break.

Maybe if your team treated Gomez better (as he was obviously disgruntled in New Jersey) and paid Rafalski more than a minor token raise that he offered your team would still have those players.

Complain to Lou. Not to the teams that gladly welcomed their services.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Vitto79

We are going to sign Anti Miettenan

no seriouuly watch,haha

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 06:03 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
We are going to sign Anti Miettenan

no seriouuly watch,haha
ill take him. hes a good PKer

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 06:15 PM
drewcon40

What would your thoughts be on a short-term contract to Teemu Selšnne? I haven't done much research. He is definitely an aging vet and considered retirement. But would a 1 year deal to fill a wing spot be the worst thing as plan "T"? Again, a lot would have to happen. But if we could get him for a minor cap hit, what would your thoughts be?

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 06:20 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
What would your thoughts be on a short-term contract to Teemu Selšnne? I haven't done much research. He is definitely an aging vet and considered retirement. But would a 1 year deal to fill a wing spot be the worst thing as plan "T"? Again, a lot would have to happen. But if we could get him for a minor cap hit, what would your thoughts be?
I like that as plan C maybe even Plan B

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 06:25 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Niedermayer is going back to Anaheim, meaning Selanne isn't very far behind. Pass on Selanne.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
why? your team is operating under the same cap as the Rangers, Ducks and Wings. it just so happens they would rather spend it on Mogilny, Malakhov, Zubrus, White, Gionta etc.

if you've followed the Rangers the slightest since the lockout, you'd know that they place a high priority on development. they have signed a couple big free agents, put that doesn't disclude them from developing their own players. just like how the Devils have many plans of action: signing mediocre players to 6 year contracts is only one of them.
So lets see.....New Jersey drafts good players....develops them and teams like Rangers who have no sucess sign those players without compensation.

Yes, damn right I think there should be compensation for UFA. 2nd rounders don't cut it...I don't think they even offer 2nd round compensation anymore.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Hahahahaha @ Jason complaining about Gomez running as fast as he could away from the Devils and not getting compensation.

Holy crap, man. Give me a break.

Maybe if your team treated Gomez better (as he was obviously disgruntled in New Jersey) and paid Rafalski more than a minor token raise that he offered your team would still have those players.

Complain to Lou. Not to the teams that gladly welcomed their services.
What do you mean treat Gomez well...like overpay for his services every contract negotiations. I think we treated him well enough with 2 Stanley Cups...that isn't what he wants though apparently. Even still we should get some form of compensation for him.

Old
06-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
Are you trying to say that you think there should be a rule that provides compensation for signed UFAs, or are you saying that you're pissed at Lou for not trading those guys at the deadlines prior to them leaving? One makes a ton of sense, the other, well, not so much...
You can't trade Gomez or Rafalski when your team is a contender going into the playoffs. I don't blame Lou for trying to win the cup.

Old
06-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by u8mylife47 View Post
Whoa! Great Idea! All these years we've been trying to draft losers!
If you aren't drafting great players thats when you change scouting staffs.

Old
06-26-2008, 07:12 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWGRD View Post
I think there is zero chance he's a Ranger next year. Or else I think he'd have already extended.
I doubt this is the case, but even if it is, it means the brass is prepared to move on without Jagr and they have a plan of action set for July 1. Maybe alot of fans don't have a lot of faith in Sather and his minions, but they've been pretty good the last 4 years so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Rolston's going to hit the market. Malone's going to test the waters and if Pitt signs Hossa he's as good as gone. I don't think we're in the running for Hossa so I really don't even consider him. But right there are two very good top six forwards that are well rounded players... meaning they fill several holes (scoring, defense, pk, pp, grit, any forward spot in Rolston's case, hitting, etc) I consider Dawes a top 6 forward now. If Drury slides over that's all of our top 6 forwards.

We're not winning a cup with that lineup, we're not in the lottery. But don't forget, a well balanced team is as dangerous as a team with a star-studded 1st line-only team. Buffalo made some very big waves in 06-07 with no one bigger than Vanek, Drury and Briere. Not exactly elite status. There's always the trade market too, we have lots of assets. I'm really not worried.

At the same time, we have to realize that in a cap league 90% of the league is rising or falling. Only a handful of teams stay at the top or bottom but that is strickly a result of really, really good or really, really bad front office personnel. Sometimes you get the star FA and you win, sometimes you miss out and miss the playoffs.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
So lets see.....New Jersey drafts good players....develops them and teams like Rangers who have no sucess sign those players without compensation.
haha, Rangers have no success developing players, I guess I imagined all those NYR draft picks kicking the Devils' ass this year.

luckily for you, Lou and Conte discovered that if they stop developing good young players, teams will stop signing them.

Quote:
Yes, damn right I think there should be compensation for UFA. 2nd rounders don't cut it...I don't think they even offer 2nd round compensation anymore.
the 2nd round compensation picks were meant to help teams who can't afford to keep their free agents. I don't think they should bring them back to help those teams that can afford it, but instead make bad investments like White, Zubrus, Malakhov, Mogilny etc. the Devils spend just as much as the Ducks, Rangers and Detroit, so they could have maintained their players had they been a little smarter.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 09:22 PM
xander

It's amazing that a fan of a team that has been so successful (the devils) would have such sour grapes. You've won three cups in some semi-balence of this system, why are you complaining? Players have rights, this isn't the 1950s, there isn't reserve clause.

And again, it's not as if the devils have anything to complain about, they've been as success as any franchise could be, they've worked this system just fine.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 09:40 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:

So the NHL should completely get rid of Unrestricted Free Agents? UNRESTRICTED! you didn't sign Gomez. You didn't sign Rafalski, there is no compensation. Maybe Lou should have traded them to try for something. But it makes absolutely no sense that someone who is UNRESTRICTED to have their team get compensation because they are gone. that makes no sense. Free Agency sucks sometimes but you have to move on. Ranger fans aren't happy Avery is gonna be leaving.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
So the NHL should completely get rid of Unrestricted Free Agents? UNRESTRICTED! you didn't sign Gomez. You didn't sign Rafalski, there is no compensation. Maybe Lou should have traded them to try for something. But it makes absolutely no sense that someone who is UNRESTRICTED to have their team get compensation because they are gone. that makes no sense. Free Agency sucks sometimes but you have to move on. Ranger fans aren't happy Avery is gonna be leaving.
They used to in the past...I guess you forget that or just wasn't a hockey fan back then.

"In the previous agreement, compensatory draft picks were awarded, with the position of a pick based on the size of the player's new contract."