HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Claim Kyle Wellwood

Old
06-26-2008, 01:36 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

vCash: 500
Maybe he'll pull a Mike Riberio this year and surprise the heck out of everyone in the league of his expectations.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 01:37 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMan View Post
Maybe he'll pull a Mike Riberio this year and surprise the heck out of everyone in the league of his expectations.
Hopefully!

JannikAtTheDisco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
I don't get why some people are so bent out of shape because Gillis didn't, supposely, remain true to some so called principles. Like he is only suppose to take players that show talent, grit and leadership. If a player is showing all those qualities he is going to be bloody difficult to pick up short of giving away a lot of assets. Saying that Gillis should be hamstrung by certain ethical or consident standards is ludricous. I sure the **** hope Gillis is not turning down moves to improve the team because he feels it will offend some prescribed notions of what is proper.
More than that, you can't have EVERYONE be a leader. Has anyone ever been on a team (of any kind, sports, non-sports, whatever) where every single person tries to be the leader? It goes nowhere. I would say that on a 25-man roster you should probably top out at 4 leaders at most.

Rotting Corpse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ryan View Post
More than that, you can't have EVERYONE be a leader. Has anyone ever been on a team (of any kind, sports, non-sports, whatever) where every single person tries to be the leader? It goes nowhere. I would say that on a 25-man roster you should probably top out at 4 leaders at most.

Uh, yeah, it's pretty simple. Just pick 4 medium guys and you're good. God, I wish more people would understand this.

Wellwood is a fat guy. So he's going to have a great shot, but no mobility. I don't know what Gillis was thinking.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
I am ashamed to say I have no idea what that is.

Old
06-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ryan View Post
I am ashamed to say I have no idea what that is.
Your video gaming does not go as far back as mine I see. I have dated myself.

Old
06-26-2008, 02:12 PM
hlrsr

The fat guys run over everyone though.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 02:19 PM
beg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
The fat guys run over everyone though.
I'm from toronto and have watched him quite a bit... this is potentially a great move... if he does nothing but spend 6-7 min on your powerplay this is a great move that will help a poor offence. He does have something special about him... if he gets motivated... you could be talking about huge move

beg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 02:47 PM
STA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koivu84 View Post
Wellwood isn't that good he's a very weak player with a terrible shots and cannot play defence or any kind of physical game. His playmaking is okay at best. Stay away!
qft!

STA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 02:52 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post

Uh, yeah, it's pretty simple. Just pick 4 medium guys and you're good. God, I wish more people would understand this.

Wellwood is a fat guy. So he's going to have a great shot, but no mobility. I don't know what Gillis was thinking.
He's fat, he's not disabled.
My concern isn't that he's currently fat.... moreso that I'm not sure what he'll do to get back into game shape and to also to keep it off.

Hell, actors work out wayyy more than Wellwood.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Nuckocentric

22 pages on a waiver pick up? Classic off-season 'nuck talk...

Any word on if Wellwood is any good at the shoot-out? We definitely need help there, and last I looked, being soft wasn't much of an issue on the shoot out.

Nuckocentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
He's fat, he's not disabled.
My concern isn't that he's currently fat.... moreso that I'm not sure what he'll do to get back into game shape and to also to keep it off.

Hell, actors work out wayyy more than Wellwood.

Did I need a ? I have been on board picking up Wellwood, I just wanted to share some sweet NES hockey memories more than anything, and the fat guy=Wellwood tie in was just too easy to pass up.

I think a hard workout regime, plus knowing he might be that close to no longer playing in the NHL might kick Wellwood's ass in gear. I actually have decent hopes of him turning into a good utility player for us.

Old
06-26-2008, 03:07 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckocentric View Post
22 pages on a waiver pick up? Classic off-season 'nuck talk...

Any word on if Wellwood is any good at the shoot-out? We definitely need help there, and last I looked, being soft wasn't much of an issue on the shoot out.
I couldn't dig up any statistics, but there are some videos up on youtube showing some of his skill, shootout wise.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:10 PM
FruityPants3*

Remember bouncy boards? That was sweet. Can't remember the code but you'd hammer it and it would go around and around.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:15 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Did I need a ? I have been on board picking up Wellwood, I just wanted to share some sweet NES hockey memories more than anything, and the fat guy=Wellwood tie in was just too easy to pass up.

I think a hard workout regime, plus knowing he might be that close to no longer playing in the NHL might kick Wellwood's ass in gear. I actually have decent hopes of him turning into a good utility player for us.
Ah. I see... there was a fat guy in the game!
Honestly, I don't remember playing that game, so the fat guy joke was lost on me.
Now I see what you mean.

anyway. yes....
But remember, fat guys have all the momentum when you're playing snowboarding games.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Wellwood has 1 goal in 5 career shootout tries.

05-06: 0/1
06-07: 1/3
07-08: 0/1

Old
06-26-2008, 03:51 PM
tantalum

Quote:

Downloaded that game immediately when it came available at the nintendo store. Memories.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:54 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Does everyone here really believe that Vigneault is going to allow Wellwood to come into camp fat? He'll be doing so many conditioning drills he'll be puking. I don't really see the whole 'fat issue' being an issue come the end of training camp.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:

I'm coming in late on this one, but that was a sweet reference. I grew up on that game, and Contra.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 07:12 PM
rye&ginger

Wellwood has been in a joke of a team with poor managment and suspect coaching.

Now he will be with a COTY winner and a team GM with a mind to create a team of 'character'

He will find it a cold place if he doenst do what is expected: be a man's man. Really this has little to do with Gillis, and EVERYTHING to do with Wellwood and what he wants. The NHL is not guaranteed next year is it? We have to resign him I understand, and that could be a 2-way deal or we just let him walk perhaps.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Ummm, I think Toronto had a good coach and he fell on the sword because management set up a country club in the dressing room with ntcs. They had decent players, they had crap goaltending and seemed to lose their passion for the team.

No soft one dimensional player played with less passion than Wellwood.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 08:12 PM
ND1414

Quote:

You are my hero.

ND1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Knucklez

There's nothing wrong with this move. Best case, he fulfills his potential and becomes our 2nd line center. Worst case, we put him back on waivers. In the meantime it's a great test for Gillis and the coaches with their vision of player development.

Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 08:46 PM
vancityluongo
weeoo

Ha, I realize this is like a day and a half to late, and it's likely been said many times in this thread, but this is exactly similar to Calgary picking up Huselius, who is now a coveted player around the league.

Best case scenario, Wellwood becomes a decent 2nd line center, possibly for Hossa, or even the skilled RH shot for the Sedins. Worst situation is that Gillis is forced to stick him in Manitoba/waive him.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 09:12 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
Ummm, I think Toronto had a good coach and he fell on the sword because management set up a country club in the dressing room with ntcs. They had decent players, they had crap goaltending and seemed to lose their passion for the team.

No soft one dimensional player played with less passion than Wellwood.

Ive lived in Toronto for the past year. I thought Maurice was OK when I was in Vancouver, but seeing him day and day in the media here and you just see the Leafs in your face all the, I switched on him and think he really isnt that great. IMO his career record is generally pretty poor also. He is not the worst coach going for sure, but not even near top 10. Maybe not even in my top 20.

Toronto isnt that bad a team, but he couldnt get them playing well at all.

And, Wellwood deserves all the crap he is getting. Im just saying he wasnt exactly failing on the Wings or other stable well run club.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote