06-23-2008, 01:07 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
ECHL Pensacola franchise terminated

Just received the following from the ECHL

Quote:
Pensacola Membership Terminated

PRINCETON, N.J. – The ECHL announced Monday that the Membership of the Pensacola Ice Pilots has been terminated, effective immediately.

“On behalf of the ECHL we are very disappointed both for the Ice Pilots fans as well as the other member teams of the ECHL,” said ECHL Commissioner Brian McKenna.

The termination of the Membership comes as a result of the Pensacola ownership group notifying the ECHL that it did not intend to play in 2008-09 or any season thereafter. Failure to ice a team for play is grounds for automatic termination under the ECHL Bylaws.

All Pensacola players will immediately become unrestricted free agents.

The league announced that work is underway on a revised version of the 2008-09 playing schedule.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Tekneek

I was a little surprised by this one. I had no idea their ownership was in trouble.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Frostbite Warrior

That team will be in the Glens Falls Civic Center now

Frostbite Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 04:33 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite Warrior View Post
No, it won't.

The franchise was terminated -- it's gone, it no longer exists, it cannot move, be sold, be relocated, or anything. Poof. Dead.

The players are all free agents -- there will be no move of the players en masse to any one place.

There is no franchise available to play in the GFCC. If it were to play in the GFCC, then it would have been SOLD to people who would have moved it to the GFCC and operated it. Instead, Forgione apparently told the league he wasn't going to play next year -- so, they took the only action available to them, and stripped the franchise from him. It's not a suspension...

IT'S GONE.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
No, it won't.

The franchise was terminated -- it's gone, it no longer exists, it cannot move, be sold, be relocated, or anything. Poof. Dead.

The players are all free agents -- there will be no move of the players en masse to any one place.

There is no franchise available to play in the GFCC. If it were to play in the GFCC, then it would have been SOLD to people who would have moved it to the GFCC and operated it. Instead, Forgione apparently told the league he wasn't going to play next year -- so, they took the only action available to them, and stripped the franchise from him. It's not a suspension...

IT'S GONE.
so you're telling me theres a chance.....

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 07:47 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

The ownership is not in trouble. Mario has the damn money and all this not being able to afford spiel is pure crap.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:37 AM
Blackhawk

Very sad day for me... I loved going to Pilots games. Another one bites the dust.

Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:28 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHNCOM View Post
Actually there is a chance the team will come back but not to the ECHL. It looks like they will see about joining the CHL. If that doesnt happen the SPHL might be their last hope.
You don't get it, once a team is terminated, no other league is going to award a franchise to the same ownership group, as Hans has already indicated, once the decision was made, if u want to go suspend mode, that should've been indicated if any franchise was switching leagues.

Pensacola went through this a few years back and averted a termination then.

CHRDANHUTCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 01:24 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
You don't get it, once a team is terminated, no other league is going to award a franchise to the same ownership group, as Hans has already indicated, once the decision was made, if u want to go suspend mode, that should've been indicated if any franchise was switching leagues.

Pensacola went through this a few years back and averted a termination then.
No, Chris, you're not correct here. If I were another league, I would be hesitant to grant a franchise to an owner who didn't follow correct procedure with another league.

However, ECHL Columbus did go dark, move their franchise to another location... but have the same ownership group operate an SPHL franchise in Columbus the next season. So, other leagues feed on each other's dead markets all the time.

The nature of this situation makes it really hard to determine what the future of Pensacola hockey is... but the buzz is, as PHNCOM said, that the same ownership group might ice a team in a different league next season.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 01:52 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite Warrior View Post
Source for this information or just wishful thinking?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:09 PM
twolinepass

In a struggling southern ECHL market, a smart move would be to switch to the much cheaper SPHL. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened here.

twolinepass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:19 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolinepass View Post
In a struggling southern ECHL market, a smart move would be to switch to the much cheaper SPHL. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened here.
a little late to be able to do that for '08-09, twoline considering the SPHL has Jacksonville, why ADD Pensacola

CHRDANHUTCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:13 PM
HockeyFan4Life

Send a message via AIM to HockeyFan4Life Send a message via Yahoo to HockeyFan4Life
I doubt you will see them in the CHL, it's just too far east. And they'll end up like the Steelhounds.

HockeyFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Kevin Wey

I've gone on about this ad nauseum on another board, but, yeah, the Central Hockey League makes zero sense for Henley Sports (the Ice Pilots). The economics for player salaries and such is very close to the ECHL, and it makes Pensacola a outlier franchise. Even when the Pensacola TV station reported the CHL as the alternate league, I pretty much assumed in my head that they had that wrong or had been misled, because the SPHL is the only league that makes any sense if Henley Sports is citing excessive costs as the reason.

I have to think a few other teams toward the bottom of the ECHL attendance report will be watching this with interest...

Kevin Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:01 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
a little late to be able to do that for '08-09, twoline considering the SPHL has Jacksonville, why ADD Pensacola
Jacksonville's out for 08-09, and even if they weren't, Pensacola would be a good fit being a 5-hour's drive from Jax. IF Jax were able to return, adding Pensacola and perhaps Daytona would be very helpful. Who knows though.

And the SPHL business model is perfect for a lot of Southern markets with decent facilities and a half-decent fan-base. I don't see why it wouldn't work in Pensacola.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Blackhawk

I noticed some teams had already posted a schedule for 08-09. That will get thrown out the window in some cases.

Old
06-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Frostbite Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Source for this information or just wishful thinking?
Wishful Thinking my friend

Frostbite Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 05:22 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
I noticed some teams had already posted a schedule for 08-09. That will get thrown out the window in some cases.
The whole league schedule was done and will now have to be re-worked since Mario is a jackass.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Blackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky born Pilot View Post
The whole league schedule was done and will now have to be re-worked since Mario is a jackass.
Yep... Well, I'm rolling the dice and have scheduled a trip to the Seawolves in Nov. hoping that their home stance won't be affected, but if it is, will roll with the punches.Must be able to roll with the punches in the minors. Hell, anymore not just a team could fold before your eyes... a whole damn league.

Last edited by Blackhawk: 06-26-2008 at 10:24 PM.