HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Wisdom teeth pulled a few hours ago...bleeding won't stop (please help)

Old
06-26-2008, 11:23 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled and it's been about four hours and it's still bleeding pretty badly. I'm biting on those cotton things but they're not really helping that much. Is this bleeding normal? When will it stop? How can I help make it stop?

This is making me really uncomfortable so I could really use some help from you guys right now.
How about going to a doctor or dentist?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:27 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I was awake for the who process, now that's a miserable experience. It wasn't that the sleepy gas stuff failed, more that they ran into complications with it and just numbed the area. I couldn't feel a thing, which is nice, but there were some quirky noises that's for sure.

As for the bleeding, it usually stops after a day or two. The pain killers did jack all for me, but I got wrapped up in the Canada-Russia game in the Olympics so that really helped.

Use a salt solution. Mix a lot of salt in with water and rinse, that really helped me.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:31 AM
njdevscup30
Boom Boom

vCash: 586
Quote:
I woke up this morning and the bleeding has stopped but how the heck do I prevent this from happening?

I forgot to mention one thing about my wonderful visit with the dentist. Before they even sat me down they made me watch a video on the risks and complication of the surgery. Things like "you might receive permanent nerve damage to your jaw' or "just like any type of surgery that uses anesthesia this could potentially be fatal". "The chances of this happening are slim but if it does happen we are not to be held liable because of that paper you signed...Have a great surgery and hopefully a speedy recovery". I'm not making this up. I literally wanted to cry after watching it. The doctor had to give an extra dose of something so I can calm down and fall asleep.
It's good that the bleeding stopped. Since you were bleeding after the surgery, I wouldn't eat anything solid for a couple days, since that might trigger the bleeding again. But overall its definitely good that the bleeding stopped overnight, that should mean there are no problems.

I got all of mine pulled at once almost 2 years ago. I was freaking out when they showed me that video! Ahh, they make it seem like something WILL go wrong instead of something has a very small chance that it might go wrong.

My surgery went great though. I didn't have much bleeding at all after the surgery, and about 1-2 hours after I was good. They healed very quickly and nicely too.

However, I actually woke up during the surgery! I just remember waking up, being very confused, and hearing the doctor say, "Well looks like he's gonna need some more." I didn't feel any pain or anything. I got intravenous anesthesia and not the gas mask.

njdevscup30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 12:39 PM
dugray13

I remember getting my 4 pulled in grade 11. It was Friday afternoon after school, I was completely out and the whole thing took 1/2 hour. I woke up and yelled at the nurses because I didn't believe that they had taken my teeth out (saying I could still "feel" them). They gave me a little ziplock bag with 2 whole teeth and a bunch of tooth fragments and told me to shut up. They told my mom they've never had someone talk so much after surgery. I don't remember any of this, I guess I was pretty out of it.

Anyways I went home, passed out, woke up, spat out a bunch of blood, and went to sleep. I woke up Saturday morning completely fine, no bleeding, no chipmunk face, and then went to a party that night. I think my whole experience was very easy because I was young and because I got those babies out early. The more developed they are the worse the healing process is. So get them out a soon as you can.

dugray13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilliardsw55 View Post
Oh, man. I gotta get my wisdom teeth taken out July 19th..all four of them too.

I hate hearing about it...Every time I hear someone saying something bad about it, it makes me want to just not go. Then again, I know that if I don't go, it will cause bigger problems later in life.
I had all 4 of mine taken out when I was 22. All 4 were impacted and weren't even exposed from the gums/skin. I was a big vag about it but once I got it done I was kinda like "that's it". If you get knocked out, it's not a big deal at all. One minute the nurse was talking to me, the next minute I woke up and they had tools in my mouth so I thought I woke up in the middle of it. They were done though and just putting new cotton things in etc.

I would suggest that if you are putting this off as I did for about 4 years with very bad headaches, go ASAP. It is not a big deal at all. It's a little gruesome to think about but after you will feel a lot better. I don't get the severe headaches I was getting before I went.

The only complication I had was I from not eating enough. I was drinking a lot of gatorade and eating a lot of soft food but nothing that filled me up. After about 5 days of dropping vicodin's, antibiotics and steroids (reduce the swelling), I developed a mini ulcer. I went out drinking on a Saturday and I had them removed on a Monday (it was Jackass the movie and it sounded like a good idea). I have never had so much pain in my stomach in my life. It felt as though I had a light bulb in my stomach and then somebody punched me there and the glass shattered. It was awful. I had to go to the regular doctor the following Monday and he told me to stop taking all the pills and gave me some pill for my stomach. Within a half hour of taking the stomach stuff, I could eat again. That was amazing!

I would recommend staying away from booze for a few weeks and to use the pain medicine sparingly because vidodin is a lot funner to take with booze and a full stomach when you aren't in pain!

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Krnuckfan

I had three of them taken out at the same time about a month ago, and the fourth one got taken out last week.

I didn't get the full sleep treatment, only novocaine, and the dentist took out the two top ones in less than 2 minutes so I thought "oh this isn't that bad at all." I couldn't be more wrong.
The third tooth was somehow crooked or something and it took an hour of cutting, drilling, wrenching, extra novocaine, to finally get that damn tooth out.
Just lying there, feeling the pressure on your tooth, the sound of the drill, seeing your own blood specked on the dentist's mask was the worst experience ever.

The recovery process wasn't bad though. The bleeding stopped overnight, there was a bit of swelling so I couldn't open my mouth wide for a week (insert joke here) but I was eating normal foods in about three days.

However, there's this small hole where the teeth used to be and food keeps getting stuck in it and it's almost impossible to get it out. Anyone else have this problem?

Krnuckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

"Now, which of these I next apply, that decision is in your hands, so......take your time and tell me - Is it safe?"

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnuckfan View Post
I had three of them taken out at the same time about a month ago, and the fourth one got taken out last week.

I didn't get the full sleep treatment, only novocaine, and the dentist took out the two top ones in less than 2 minutes so I thought "oh this isn't that bad at all." I couldn't be more wrong.
The third tooth was somehow crooked or something and it took an hour of cutting, drilling, wrenching, extra novocaine, to finally get that damn tooth out.
Just lying there, feeling the pressure on your tooth, the sound of the drill, seeing your own blood specked on the dentist's mask was the worst experience ever.
The recovery process wasn't bad though. The bleeding stopped overnight, there was a bit of swelling so I couldn't open my mouth wide for a week (insert joke here) but I was eating normal foods in about three days.
Oh man that is brutal! I am so glad I got knocked out. I would suggest getting put to sleep if you can make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnuckfan View Post
However, there's this small hole where the teeth used to be and food keeps getting stuck in it and it's almost impossible to get it out. Anyone else have this problem?
Yup! It was much bigger when I was younger but after about 2-4 years it finally closed enough to where it isn't even an issue anyore but here is still a hole there.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 01:56 PM
AltaHab

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilliardsw55 View Post
Oh, man. I gotta get my wisdom teeth taken out July 19th..all four of them too.

I hate hearing about it...Every time I hear someone saying something bad about it, it makes me want to just not go. Then again, I know that if I don't go, it will cause bigger problems later in life.
All four of my wisdom teeth grew in at angles. The first one I had pulled at 15 and took mere seconds it seemed and I was back in school that afternoon. I waited 20 years to get the other three pulled because they weren't causing me any discomfort but I woke up one Sunday morning feeling like I had a jackhammer pounding on my ears. All three wisdom teeth were impacting on the back molars and most of my bottom jaw had infection (as x-rays later revealed).

I went to emergency to see the dentist and all he would do is give me T3's and send me home. I went to my dentist and he sent me to a surgical dentist and they put me under a week later and removed the other three teeth. They also had to take two molars because the crowns had broken off under the stress of being impacted. I wish I could've kept the molars but I didn't have a dental plan and the cost was adding up. A couple of weeks later I had bone spurs growing out of the side of my gums where the wisdom teeth were so I had to go back in and get them grinded down. Seven years later the other two molars have cracked and both need crowns so I'm still paying the price for my neglect all those years ago.

So yeah, get them done now while the gettin' is good and don't wait like I did.

AltaHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 02:57 PM
spoon*

This reminds me of...

It's your first time. As you lie back your muscles tighten. You put him off for awhile searching for an excuse, but he refuses to be swayed as he approaches you. He asks if you're afraid and you shake your head bravely. He has had more experience, but it's the first time his finger has found the right place. He probes deeply and you shiver; your body tenses; but he's gentle like he promised he'd be. He looks deeply within your eyes and tells you to trust him-- he's done this many times before. His cool smile relaxes you and you open wider to give him more room for an ease entrance. You begin to plead and beg him to hurry, but he slowly takes his time, wanting to cause you as little pain as possible. As he presses closer, going deeper, you feel the tissue give way; pain surges throughout your body and you feel the slight trickle of blood as he continues. He looks at you concerned and asks you if it's too painful. Your eyes are filled with tears but you shake you head and nod for him to go on. He begins moving in and out with skill but you are now too numb to feel him within you. After a few frenzied moments, you feel something bursting within you and he pulls it out of you, you lay panting, glad to have it over. He looks at you and smiling warmly, tells you, with a chuckle; that you have been his most stubborn yet most rewarding experience. You smile and thank your dentist. After all, it was your first time to have a tooth pulled.

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
Normal, now pop a couple of those pills they gave you and you wont worry about that any more.
The only things I remember about getting my wisdom teeth out were waking up from anesthesia and, after stumbling by myself to the end of the hallway at the dentist's office in a haze, stopping, waving my father forward to help me the rest of the way to the car, and hearing someone say "I've never seen anyone recover from anesthesia that quickly."

That and the fact that I did not take any of the morphine pills they gave me. I had a very hard time swallowing pills and though I was willing to endure the penicillin pills against infection, I wouldn't take the morphine because I was afraid of getting hooked.

06-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Kashew*

Send a message via AIM to Kashew* Send a message via MSN to Kashew*
9-1-1

That's the best help I can give you.

Kashew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:09 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Salt. Lots of salt.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Kashew*

Send a message via AIM to Kashew* Send a message via MSN to Kashew*
"OMG I HAVE UNCONTROLLED BLEEDING IN MY MOUTH! LET ME THROW SALT ON IT!"

Ya. That makes sense.

It should be:

"OMFG MY STITCHES PROBABLY POPPED AND MY OPEN WOUNDS WHERE MY TEETH WERE ARE BLEEDING AND WON'T STOP! LET ME CALL 911 BEFORE I DROWN IN MY OWN BLOOD TONIGHT."

Kashew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 05:04 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
I have to say one thing though getting put to sleep is more fun than I thought it would be. I didn't even realize when I fell asleep and when I woke up I felt pretty damn good and then the numbness went away...
True true, but then you wake up and look across at the stranger,he points at you and laughs, he mumbles words you can't understand and then you do the same thing just to be polite

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 06:07 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

You just must be not as good of a healer. I had all 4 of mine out (3 impacted) 3 weeks ago on a Monday morning. I was spitting blood for the next 24 hours, but I had a complete dinner on Tuesday night. Didn't get the chipmunk face or anything.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 06:16 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I was lucky. The bleeding didn't last more than a couple hours and I never had to take the painkillers... ^^;

But yeah, keep the cotton in and maintain pressure.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRoad View Post
Atleast you're not waking up choking on something else.
OMG, i literally LOLed ...

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 06:59 PM
ExplosionsintheGine

Big deal...

You were fortunate enough to be put asleep when they were pulled. Getting teeth pulled while awake, is one of the most unpleasant experiences ever.

I think Masao should make a self-done tooth extraction instructional video!

ExplosionsintheGine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:12 AM
sjsharky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I was lucky. The bleeding didn't last more than a couple hours and I never had to take the painkillers... ^^;
you didn't have to...but did you?

sjsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 11:47 AM
RightKinger

This thread got a lot more posts than I expected it to get. I'm now fine and eating a lot of ice cream but I do have chipmunk face.

I haven't used the salt thing to prevent infection but wouldn't that hurt like a *****? Putting salt on an open wound...

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:47 PM
TheKingPin

not sure it if its still relevant or not but if it is still bleeding then you may have a clotting disorder as that is a tell tale sign. Clotting disorders are a very common, many of us have them but wont realize till something like this happens.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:50 PM
19nazzy

Quote:
I haven't used the salt thing to prevent infection but wouldn't that hurt like a *****? Putting salt on an open wound...
Nope it doesn't. And you really should do it to help try to keep the area clean.

19nazzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:56 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

The trick to prevent infection is to actually mix 1/2 a teaspoon of salt with a cup of warm water, and rinsing your mouth with it

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:58 PM
nautikal

I only have 3 for some reason... still not looking forward to it .

nautikal is offline   Reply With Quote